Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Hijack This Thread

p0rtia

Re: Hijack This Thread

Post by p0rtia »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:45 am Today is the 10th anniversary of my oldest daughter, the awkward nerd girl abroad, witnessing a terrorist attack when she was teaching in Turkey. She was literally 10 feet away when he opened fire. The photo in the article was taken by her (even though it's credited to the AP) and shows how close she was to him. She's in Brazil now, but has a history of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, so if she ever invites you to visit, politely turn her down.

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna45488585
Coincidentally, I was witness to a bombing (no one injured) in Istanbul--twenty some years ago. It was in an orange plastic waste bin in the main square. I turned away and walked rapidly in the other direction, passing scores of men running toward the bomb site.

Later I went back and picked up a burnt piece of orange plastic as a souvenir.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

MsDaisy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:31 pm One said, "OMG look at those toenails!" Which were pretty long and starting to curl. "Oh no, she's not leaving here like that", and she took her to the back and trimmed her nails and we weren't charged a single dime!
That was my first thought when I saw the pic. She looks like she hasn't had any personal attention for awhile. The toenails indicated to me that she must have been on her own for quite a while, but she appears to have been reasonably well fed. I'm not a vet and haven't owned a dog for 45 years or so and the first thing I would have done would have been to give her a nice pedicure.

So... living with a family that kept her in a soft yard (grass or sand) and did nothing but feed her. Or ran away quite some time ago and has been very successful at stealing neighbors dogs food or cadging handouts.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Yay T-bone! Another Fogbow doggie - we always needz moar. Lots moar. :lovestruck:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Maybe we collectively and subconsciously agreed not to discuss the Supreme Court and the Mississippi abortion case today, but it did not go well for the female race. :mad:

Just wait until the day they put a woman in jail for having an abortion. :torches:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:23 pm Maybe we collectively and subconsciously agreed not to discuss the Supreme Court and the Mississippi abortion case today, but it did not go well for the female race. :mad:

Just wait until the day they put a woman in jail for having an abortion. :torches:
Haven’t they already done that for miscarriages? Blamed the woman’s drug habit or something for causing the miscarriage?
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:23 pm Maybe we collectively and subconsciously agreed not to discuss the Supreme Court and the Mississippi abortion case today, but it did not go well for the female race. :mad:

This seems to be a rather ugly case, favouring the morally bankrupt reichwing in this country.

I blame mitchthestupidlittlebitchmcconnell for court packing, he needs a permanent address change to Gitmo for committing treason.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

Ever dream of riding a fried chicken thigh fueled only by the greasiness of it? Well, I did.
IMG_0129.jpeg
IMG_0129.jpeg (353.69 KiB) Viewed 949 times
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

And I thought I had wild dreams! :winner:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

I guess this is the thread for it but why isn't anyone discussing the death of Roe v Wade and how we will fight going forward? I tried to start a thread but I have no idea how.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Every so often you get numb to living in generally dystopian times, and then a new wave of the global pandemic hits, a school shooter kills his classmates with a gun his dad bought on Black Friday, and a theocratic court moves to throw out reproductive rights all on the same day
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

John Thomas8 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 9:06 pm

This seems to be a rather ugly case, favouring the morally bankrupt reichwing in this country.

I blame mitchthestupidlittlebitchmcconnell for court packing, he needs a permanent address change to Gitmo for committing treason.
I think Biden should increase the number of Justices to at least 15, but I doubt he will :(
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Alice Sebold Apologizes to Man Wrongly Convicted of Raping Her
Anthony Broadwater spent 16 years in prison after the author identified him as her attacker in an assault she described in her memoir, “Lucky.” Its publisher said Tuesday that it would stop distributing the book.

By Alexandra Alter and Karen Zraick
Nov. 30, 2021

Alice Sebold, the best-selling author of the memoir “Lucky” and the novel “The Lovely Bones,” apologized publicly on Tuesday to a man who was wrongly convicted of raping her in 1982 after she had identified him in court as her attacker.

The apology came eight days after the conviction of the man, Anthony J. Broadwater, was vacated by a state court judge in Syracuse, N.Y., who concluded, in consultation with the local district attorney and Mr. Broadwater’s lawyers, that the case against him was deeply flawed.

As a result of the conviction, Mr. Broadwater, 61, spent 16 years in prison before being released in 1998 and was forced to register as a sex offender.

In a statement posted on the website Medium, Ms. Sebold, who described the rape and the ensuing trial in “Lucky,” said she regretted having “unwittingly” played a part in “a system that sent an innocent man to jail.”

“I am sorry most of all for the fact that the life you could have led was unjustly robbed from you,” she wrote. “And I know that no apology can change what happened to you and never will. It has taken me these past eight days to comprehend how this could have happened.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/30/nyre ... -case.html
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:17 am
Alice Sebold Apologizes to Man Wrongly Convicted of Raping Her
Anthony Broadwater spent 16 years in prison after the author identified him as her attacker in an assault she described in her memoir, “Lucky.” Its publisher said Tuesday that it would stop distributing the book.
This is why I keep harping on justice not being found in the result of a given trial. I’m sure Alice Sebold and her friends and family thought justice had been served when Broadwater was convicted.

I’m sure Broadwater and his friends and family wondered where the justice was when a man could be convicted of a crime he didn’t commit.

The number of people who have been exonerated in this country is staggering, but because exoneration is usually (but not always, and not in Broadwater’s case) tied to DNA, it’s likely that there are many, many more innocent people sitting in prison who can’t be exonerated because the evidence isn’t there.

Our system is seriously flawed, but I don’t know of a better alternative. I guess what bothers me is that a lot of people smugly “know” what the results of a trial ought to be, and are either outraged when the jury doesn’t return the verdict they think it should, or are gleeful when they get the result they want, without any consideration that they might be wrong.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
raison de arizona

That's a thinker, Maybenaut.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

This is driving me crazy. I know I've seen the guy in this ad in something else but for the life of me I can't find out what his damn name is so I can look him up! :brickwallsmall:

Anyone have any idea who this guy is?
Vroom ad.png
Vroom ad.png (202.61 KiB) Viewed 828 times

BTW I think it's a pretty crappy ad :roll:
raison de arizona

Sorry, no idea who that is.

I have this #nerdalert though:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I guess then it is a good day to practice yoga :biggrin:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

12022021 works too.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Cornflakes slathered in ivermectin, hydrochloroquine, and fentanyl.
The 21st Century Breakfast of Champions!
:cheer1:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Don't forget saltpeter.
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

So, our corporate IT team successfully migrated our email to the cloud over TDay weekend. Bravo. We still had working email when we returned from holiday. That's leaps and bounds ahead of past email upgrades that left us working from our personal addresses until they fixed their problems. But, now I have a robot curating my mail, and sending me daily reminders.

It's called Microsoft Viva. It reads yesterday's mail, and sends me a synopsis of requests others made to me, and/or promises I made to others. You check a box if it's been done to close a reminder. Kind of handy. Kind of creepy. I'm undecided whether I like the function or not.
raison de arizona

Welcome to MS Overlord!

In other news...
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

I think this may have been on OldbowTM: I had asked for some advice from UK lawyers or those familiar with UK law about a friend that needed advice about getting visitation and/or custody of his son. Well, as of today, Phil has Matthew for the weekend. :)

The Judge decided that the former girlfriend (baby momma) was serving a bunch of horse apples and the Social Services people didn't do any real investigation of any allegations of abuse (which were false). So, Phil will now have his son on weekends. He is doing his best to work with Matthew's mother and be cooperative and all that stuff because he plans to ask for physical custody when they go to finalize the agreement early next year. Right now, he's thrilled to have the time with his son.

A bright spot in an otherwise crappy world. :thumbsup: :lovestruck:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
raison de arizona

jez wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:26 pm I think this may have been on OldbowTM: I had asked for some advice from UK lawyers or those familiar with UK law about a friend that needed advice about getting visitation and/or custody of his son. Well, as of today, Phil has Matthew for the weekend. :)

The Judge decided that the former girlfriend (baby momma) was serving a bunch of horse apples and the Social Services people didn't do any real investigation of any allegations of abuse (which were false). So, Phil will now have his son on weekends. He is doing his best to work with Matthew's mother and be cooperative and all that stuff because he plans to ask for physical custody when they go to finalize the agreement early next year. Right now, he's thrilled to have the time with his son.

A bright spot in an otherwise crappy world. :thumbsup: :lovestruck:
Congrats!
:bunny:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:dance:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “General Stuff”