Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

TX Anti-Abortion Law

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: TX Anti-Abortion Law

Post by neonzx »

I'm very interested to see if anyone makes the first claim for $10k. I don't think Texas has open records like Florida (Sunshine Laws), but we will see.
Jim

Post by Jim »

neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 am I'm very interested to see if anyone makes the first claim for $10k. I don't think Texas has open records like Florida (Sunshine Laws), but we will see.
We should hear, isn't the person required to sue in court?
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Wait, what? :smoking: The US AGs role is to worry about Afghanistan and the world economy?

And isn't Paxton supposed to be in jail anyway?
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I don't think the TXAG knows the difference between the State Dept, the DOJ and the Treasury.

I also am not surprised.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:12 am I'm very interested to see if anyone makes the first claim for $10k. I don't think Texas has open records like Florida (Sunshine Laws), but we will see.
I imagine clinics are being extra careful right now, and since the main organization that was hoping to make use of the law is currently not allowed to, I am not surprised that disorganized individual suits are not much of a thing yet.

Though I am a bit surprised that no one has filed anything yet. There is probably a bunch of notoriety to be gained by getting your name associated with the first wave of attempts.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, how come the first lawsuits haven't been filed yet? :confuzzled:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Who do you file the lawsuits with? The state or ????
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Not sure, but I think the purpose of the snitch site is to pair up snitches with attorneys willing to take them on. Yes/no?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:56 pm Not sure, but I think the purpose of the snitch site is to pair up snitches with attorneys willing to take them on. Yes/no?
I thought it was so the organization itself could mount a coordinated campaign of lawsuits using multiple in house lawyers.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:33 pm Who do you file the lawsuits with? The state or ????
By the looks of it, local county courts.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

neeneko wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:00 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 1:33 pm Who do you file the lawsuits with? The state or ????
By the looks of it, local county courts.
Seems like they would have written the law a little more clearly if they were serious about people using it. Our county courts already have such a backlog that they've hired/appointed special judges to do nothing but clear the dockets.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:05 pm Seems like they would have written the law a little more clearly if they were serious about people using it. Our county courts already have such a backlog that they've hired/appointed special judges to do nothing but clear the dockets.
I doubt people actually using the law was really the point. For the politicians it is purely a red meat thing, their base likes the idea of the law. For proponents though, the law's real utility comes from its chilling effect... one could even argue it is most effective if no one actually uses it and thus its target audience overestimates its power and does not want to risk becoming a target. So the more ambiguity the better.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Uh.

So looks like unorganized individuals are trying to 'catch' abortion providers violating the new law:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/10/us/texas ... index.html
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neeneko wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:58 pm Uh.

So looks like unorganized individuals are trying to 'catch' abortion providers violating the new law:

From that link:
Renae Eze, press secretary for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, said the state passed a law "that ensures that the life of every child with a heartbeat will be spared from the ravages of abortion," and the governor's office is confident the courts will uphold it.
Aside from the fact that there is no heart, therefore no heartbeat, at six weeks, an acorn is not an oak tree, an egg white is not a chicken, etc. :mad:

And how about you work on the ravages of childhood poverty? :mad: :mad:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

For all the lawyers (and non-lawyers):

I read a piece in the Boston Globe about Larkin v. Grendel's Den. In essence, the SCOTUS said that the state cannot delegate it's authority to a private entity. Might be a stretch, but there is some correlation with the "bounty hunters" going after people for "illegally" assisting with an abortion. Isn't that the state delegating their authority to private citizens?
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:06 pm
neeneko wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:58 pm Uh.

From that link:
Renae Eze, press secretary for Texas Gov. Greg Abbott, said the state passed a law "that ensures that the life of every child with a heartbeat will be spared from the ravages of abortion," and the governor's office is confident the courts will uphold it.
Aside from the fact that there is no heart, therefore no heartbeat, at six weeks, an acorn is not an oak tree, an egg white is not a chicken, etc. :mad:

And how about you work on the ravages of childhood poverty? :mad: :mad:
Or the ravages of covid.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

jez wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:13 pm For all the lawyers (and non-lawyers):

I read a piece in the Boston Globe about Larkin v. Grendel's Den. In essence, the SCOTUS said that the state cannot delegate it's authority to a private entity. Might be a stretch, but there is some correlation with the "bounty hunters" going after people for "illegally" assisting with an abortion. Isn't that the state delegating their authority to private citizens?
Rachel Maddow had a segment on that last week, and had Laurence Tribe, the attorney who took the case, on to explain it. Not an attorney, but it sounded good to me, and he won.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

https://www.bucklebunnies.org/

I gave. Abortions across Texas.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

may need some additional explanation

ETA. about what Jez posted above Grendel's Law viewtopic.php?p=45667#p45667
How One Bar's Liquor License Case Could Bring Down The New Texas Abortion Ban

MSNBC 7 Sept 2021

Rachel Maddow tells the story of how Cambridge, Massachusetts bar, Grendel's Den, whose case to obtain a liquor license over the objections of a neighboring church was argued before the Supreme Court and won by Harvard Law professor Laurence Tribe, setting a precedent that could put an end to the new Texas abortion ban.
bob

Post by bob »

jez wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:13 pm For all the lawyers (and non-lawyers):

Too also: Racial covenants (prohibiting the sale of property to minorities) is a private agreement between two parties. But enforcing racial covenants requires state action (the courts). So the courts ultimately ruled it would unconstitutional to use the state's powers to enforce the covenants.
Image ImageImage
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Chastity belts for guys!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
filly

Post by filly »

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”