TX Anti-Abortion Law

filly

Re: TX Anti-Abortion Law

Post by filly »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 pm But I should’ve been more clear initially. Who, what, where should I make accusations? Do I need to name names, clinics, elected Republican officials? I don’t want to cause more grief for Planned Parenthood. Maybe some whack job RW targets?
I would not do this. The vigilantes who will go after anybody and everybody with this awful law will ultimately be protected but those who have control over the Texas courts (ultimately the Texas Supreme Court, a bunch of knuckle dragging haters) may just find a way to punish you. This law invites massive chaos but I would think long and hard before deciding to enter the fray.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:03 pm But I should’ve been more clear initially. Who, what, where should I make accusations? Do I need to name names, clinics, elected Republican officials? I don’t want to cause more grief for Planned Parenthood. Maybe some whack job RW targets?
I just reported the legislature for manufacturing illegal alien homunculii via Dr. Frank N. Furter at the Androgyna Clinic in Austin.

Stonekettle reported human/rat hybrids through legislative ratfucking.

The only limit is your imagination.
Image Image Image Image
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 12:53 pm It took Trump's actions on the pandemic to turn my Republican sister into a Biden voter. I wonder if Texas' and the Supreme Court's actions will similarly affect Republican women who support abortion choice.
I suspect it will not happen in significant numbers. Getting to oppress OTHER women (esp WoC) is showing that you are part of the strong team.
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

filly wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:04 pm
I would not do this. The vigilantes who will go after anybody and everybody with this awful law will ultimately be protected but those who have control over the Texas courts (ultimately the Texas Supreme Court, a bunch of knuckle dragging haters) may just find a way to punish you. This law invites massive chaos but I would think long and hard before deciding to enter the fray.
:like: :yeahthat: :like: :yeahthat: :like: :yeahthat: :like: :yeahthat: :like: :yeahthat: :like: :yeahthat:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:39 am My user name may explain this, but I can’t see how the content of this law can in any way whatsoever be considered constitutional. As others with more knowledge have pointed out, if it is allowed to stand equivalent laws could be enacted covering any activity a given legislature wish to attempt to curtail. I’m stunned and appalled.

Snark - do the Texas legislators have shares in the morning after pill?
My user name has nothing to do with it, but I wholeheartedly agree! This is just…wrong. And sooo Texas. :roll:

ETA: This means there is no justice for us, if the Supremes think it’s just fine.
Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

Umm, I think I’m starting to get my head round some of this. Is it correct to say that the plaintiff in an action brought under this law has “standing” as they are pursuing a (possible) breach of it?
Even so I still don’t understand how a possibly totally unrelated and uninjured party can bring an action, unless they are doing so on behalf of, what I consider is the only “injured” party, the embryo. Colo(u)r me confused. :confuzzled:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:12 pm Umm, I think I’m starting to get my head round some of this. Is it correct to say that the plaintiff in an action brought under this law has “standing” as they are pursuing a (possible) breach of it?
Even so I still don’t understand how a possibly totally unrelated and uninjured party can bring an action, unless they are doing so on behalf of, what I consider is the only “injured” party, the embryo. Colo(u)r me confused. :confuzzled:
Well, they can because the law says they can. The law states that anyone in Texas has standing to bring this suit against anyone they suspect of violating the 6 week ban.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I hope this isnt the wrong thread. 😁 But if I recall correctly, Gub. Abbot caught the 'Rona and took Regeneron. But for the life of me, I cant remember how Regeneron is made, and what it is made from.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I’m still so confused. And I haven’t read the bill so I’m just picking up things I’ve seen on line, and I know that can be a problem accuracy wise, but here goes. If they’re counting six weeks from the last day of a woman’s period, The embryo isn’t six weeks along. The conception wouldn’t have been for approximately two more weeks, making the embryo only about four weeks along. Then there’s talk of “heartbeats “which are not actually heartbeats at that point, merely electrical activity that will eventually become the nervous system and the heart. So how do they document that there was or wasn’t a “heartbeat?” I don’t recall the exact percentage, but so many pregnancies abort themselves in the early weeks. If you can’t be accused of murdering somebody who was already dead, how can you be accused of murdering an embryo that was never viable? And may never become viable.

And then there’s the question of incomplete spontaneous abortions, which is what laypeople call miscarriages. They’re almost never complete, and require some sort of dilatation and curettage, which is exactly how you perform a therapeutic abortion. How many grieving women will be accused of murder? How many husbands will be sued for driving their bleeding wife to the hospital? How many people will be afraid to go to the hospital for fear of being turned in by some whack job?

A lot of these are rhetorical questions, I don’t expect there to be hard answers. I’m. just. so. Upset.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:03 pm I hope this isnt the wrong thread. 😁 But if I recall correctly, Gub. Abbot caught the 'Rona and took Regeneron. But for the life of me, I cant remember how Regeneron is made, and what it is made from.
I see what you did there.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:04 pm I’m still so confused. And I haven’t read the bill so I’m just picking up things I’ve seen on line, and I know that can be a problem accuracy wise, but here goes. If they’re counting six weeks from the last day of a woman’s period, The embryo isn’t six weeks along. The conception wouldn’t have been for approximately two more weeks, making the embryo only about four weeks along. Then there’s talk of “heartbeats “which are not actually heartbeats at that point, merely electrical activity that will eventually become the nervous system and the heart. So how do they document that there was or wasn’t a “heartbeat?” I don’t recall the exact percentage, but so many pregnancies abort themselves in the early weeks. If you can’t be accused of murdering somebody who was already dead, how can you be accused of murdering an embryo that was never viable? And may never become viable.

And then there’s the question of incomplete spontaneous abortions, which is what laypeople call miscarriages. They’re almost never complete, and require some sort of dilatation and curettage, which is exactly how you perform a therapeutic abortion. How many grieving women will be accused of murder? How many husbands will be sued for driving their bleeding wife to the hospital? How many people will be afraid to go to the hospital for fear of being turned in by some whack job?

A lot of these are rhetorical questions, I don’t expect there to be hard answers. I’m. just. so. Upset.
It's...bad. https://legiscan.com/TX/text/SB8/id/2395961
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:04 pm A lot of these are rhetorical questions, I don’t expect there to be hard answers. I’m. just. so. Upset.
I've been trying to read through the law so i can respond to other people, but my understanding is limited.

On the topic of how much sense the 'heartbeat' test makes, in the section going over valid defenses it treats it as 'guilty until proven innocent'. So the burden of proof is not on the litigant to show anything, but on the defendant to prove to the judge (jury?) that they did not violate the law. Otherwise 'but that is not a heartbeat' would probably be a good defense.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:04 pm
I just reported the legislature for manufacturing illegal alien homunculii via Dr. Frank N. Furter at the Androgyna Clinic in Austin.

Stonekettle reported human/rat hybrids through legislative ratfucking.

The only limit is your imagination.
Ya need a target? “Stella Immanuel gave me Demon Semen and I spontaneously aborted.”

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
raison de arizona

neeneko wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:49 pm
Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:04 pm A lot of these are rhetorical questions, I don’t expect there to be hard answers. I’m. just. so. Upset.
I've been trying to read through the law so i can respond to other people, but my understanding is limited.

On the topic of how much sense the 'heartbeat' test makes, in the section going over valid defenses it treats it as 'guilty until proven innocent'. So the burden of proof is not on the litigant to show anything, but on the defendant to prove to the judge (jury?) that they did not violate the law. Otherwise 'but that is not a heartbeat' would probably be a good defense.
Yeah, they flipped the burden of proof. Because of course they did. The accuser doesn't have to prove a thing. And "but that is not a heartbeat" is not a valid defense, unfortunately.
(f-1) The defendant has the burden of proving an affirmative
defense under Subsection (f)(1) or (2) by a preponderance of the
evidence.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

America's bestest Christian with some "reports"!

Uninformed

Post by Uninformed »

If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
tek

Post by tek »

The media needs to call bullshit on this "pro-life" mantra.
at best it is "pro-birth" and then see ya later.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Drats. That means this special won't be found in Texas even though Whole Foods calls TX home.

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Uninformed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:54 pm
Because dog knows there isn't an abortion rush after two weeks of Sturgis debauchery.

(and I've been to the rally, so I know of which I speak.)

ImageImageImage x4
Sequoia32
Verified:

Post by Sequoia32 »

A couple of decades ago I cared for a preemie who's mom was a druggie/prostitute with 5 or so kids already in foster care.

She was crying and crying because she and her doctor had planned to get her tubes tied when she birthed this child but because she couldn't meet the waiting period, since her baby came urgently and early, she was doomed to get pregnant again.

Eff laws effing up people's lives where they have no business being.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Would a Texas FOI request get all of the "tips" to date?
bob

Post by bob »

neeneko wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:24 pm
Uninformed wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:12 pm Umm, I think I’m starting to get my head round some of this. Is it correct to say that the plaintiff in an action brought under this law has “standing” as they are pursuing a (possible) breach of it?
Well, they can because the law says they can. The law states that anyone in Texas has standing to bring this suit against anyone they suspect of violating the 6 week ban.
There's the possibility that the state courts will either impute some sort of form of standing, or void this portion of the law.

Possible, but not probable (IMO).
Image ImageImage
raison de arizona

neeneko wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:24 pm
No it doesn’t.

It doesn’t say you have to be a resident of Texas. Anyone can bring a lawsuit as long as they aren’t an employee of Texas government, state or local.
Sec. 171.208. CIVIL LIABILITY FOR VIOLATION OR AIDING OR
ABETTING VIOLATION. (a) Any person, other than an officer or
employee of a state or local governmental entity in this state, may
bring a civil action against any person who:
That’s how I read it at least.

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”