Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Michael Avenatti’s Wild Ride

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Re: Michael Avenatti’s Wild Ride

Post by Slim Cognito »

I was originally rather impressed. At least I'm able to admit when a person I once admired is really a sleazebag. I went through this with John Edwards.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

My gut feeling is a lawyer who makes himself the story is a sleaze.
Danraft

Post by Danraft »

Yeah, count me in as a person who, at minimum, considered him a useful charismatic character that seemed to know how to get under Trump’s skin.

Now, he’s just a another slimy, unprofessional, self-serving hack.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Worse, he’s a Democrat.
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Danraft wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:02 pm Yeah, count me in as a person who, at minimum, considered him a useful charismatic character that seemed to know how to get under Trump’s skin.

I enjoyed the fact that he was as getting under Trump humper skin. But yeah, I agree that other than the entertainment he is a sleaze. I was horrified that some people wanted him to run for President. :cantlook:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Several lawyers here saw right through him, in particular Sterngard and Res Ipsa, MikeDunford, and I'm probably forgetting some. But Avenatti had that glorious chin ... and he was certainly a media darling for a while, and a lot of us wanted him to be the Trump Slayer.

In the long run, Joe Biden was the Trump Slayer, it's just taking a long time for the bastard to realize he done got slain.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Yeah, I was never a fan. I think my words were something like "when he falls, he's gonna fall hard."

Set off all the stone-cold liar/user alarms for me. Okay, in actuality, he just reminded me of my brother. Same diff. :cry:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

RVInit wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:29 pm
Danraft wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:02 pm Yeah, count me in as a person who, at minimum, considered him a useful charismatic character that seemed to know how to get under Trump’s skin.

I enjoyed the fact that he was as getting under Trump humper skin. But yeah, I agree that other than the entertainment he is a sleaze. I was horrified that some people wanted him to run for President. :cantlook:
Yeah, I liked him initially, but when I started hearing people calling for him to run it gave me a really bad feeling, which was soon validated when he began to crash and burn...
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

:yeahthat:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I did like him for a few days too, but I soured on him after that. He did figure out before anyone else that they way to deal with chungus was to keep pissing him off, which sends Fatnixon into an ineffectual tantrum for days.
Hic sunt dracones
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The Government's sentencing memorandum for the case against Michael Avenatti in California.

A good thread discussing both parties' sentencing submissions.

Meghann Cuniff
@meghanncuniff
Just filed: Michael Avenatti's sentencing memorandum in his California criminal case. He's asking for six years (72 months).
"...defendant has already been made an example of on a national stage, repeatedly."
Prosecutors' not yet in but should be soon.
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/crime/mi ... r-AA12R4zL
Michael Avenatti cited unfavorable discussions about him on social media as he sought to reduce his sentence for misappropriating money from legal clients.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
chancery
Verified:

Post by chancery »

The government effectively countered Avanetti's argument with this quotation from a judge long dead but still well known, concerning the sentencing of a prominent rabbi:
If punishment were wholly or mainly retributive, [public humiliation] might be a weighty factor. In the end, however, it must be a matter of little or no force. Defendant’s notoriety should not in the last analysis serve to lighten, any more than it may be permitted to aggravate, his sentence. The fact that he has been pilloried by journalists is essentially a consequence of the prestige and privileges he enjoyed before he was exposed as a wrongdoer. The long fall from grace was possible only because of the height he had reached. The suffering from loss of public esteem reflects a body of opinion that the esteem had been, in at least some measure, wrongly bestowed and enjoyed. It is not possible to justify the notion that this mode of nonjudicial punishment should be an occasion for lenience not given to a defendant who never basked in such an admiring light at all. The quest for both the appearance and the substance of equal justice prompts the court to discount the thought that the public humiliation serves the function of imprisonment.
United States v. Bergman, 416 F. Supp. 496, 502-03 (S.D.N.Y. 1976).
Off Topic
While it's a good point and a great quote, there's a weirdness to the background, a scandal that I remember.

The judge was Marvin Frankel, an outspoken opponent of discretion in judicial sentencing, one of the architects of the federal sentencing guidelines, and a well-known hard-ass. I remember hearing senior lawyers discussing his harsh and unfeeling treatment of Mahlon Perkins,* a big firm partner who had ruined an important case and his career by inexplicably (probably a nervous breakdown -- 40 years later the strangeness of the circumstances is still discussed) denying the existence of a box of what turned out to be fairly innocuous documents. The prominent rabbi was Bernard Bergman, who operated a large network of nursing homes notorious for neglect and abuse of patients. Bergman pled guilty to fraud, including stealing $2.5 million from Medicaid.

Although Judge Frankel insisted loss of reputation and past good works do not justify leniency, he also insisted that a defendant's notoriety should not be an aggregating factor. The sentence was four months, ridiculously low. There's no basis whatsoever to suspect Frankel of any kind of corruption; he probably resented the press coverage and was just too full of himself.

* Perkins spent a month in prison for contempt, although he managed to avoid being disbarred. In re Perkins, 69 A.D.2d 160 (1st Dep't 1979) ("Respondent severely censured"). He redeemed himself and his career as a volunteer lawyer with the Center for Constitutional Rights. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahlon_Perkins; See https://www.nytimes.com/1990/01/19/us/l ... ician.html

Perkins seems to have been likable and generally admirable as a man and lawyer. However, I'll note sourly that, had he not been a well-connected and affluent patrician, and had he not been represented in disciplinary proceedings by former Judge Harold Tylor, with support from the cream of New York City's bench and bar, he would likely have been disbarred and would not have had the luxury of working without compensation.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Tom Ryan @tomryanlaw wrote: Micheal Avenatti sentenced to 14 years in prison for ripping off his clients. This 14 year sentence begins AFTER his New York sentences. Judge Selna got it exactly right!
Meghann Cuniff @meghanncuniff wrote: This is big: Judge Selna says Avenatti's 168-month sentence (14 years) is to run consecutive with his New York sentences. A major, major win for prosecutors.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

So does this end his chances for running for POTUS? (You all remember those brief days, yes? :biggrin: Avenatti was gonna bring Trump DOWN! )
Gupwalla

Post by Gupwalla »

neonzx wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:52 pm So does this end his chances for running for POTUS? (You all remember those brief days, yes? :biggrin: Avenatti was gonna bring Trump DOWN! )
He’ll miss at least three elections due to being in prison. Maybe four if he is not on his very best behavior.

Of course, there is no requirement that a candidate for US President cannot also be an incarcerated felon; Gene Debs ran one of his campaigns from prison. But he lost, and so will Avenatti if he tries.
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Gupwalla wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:04 pm
neonzx wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:52 pm So does this end his chances for running for POTUS? (You all remember those brief days, yes? :biggrin: Avenatti was gonna bring Trump DOWN! )
He’ll miss at least three elections due to being in prison. Maybe four if he is not on his very best behavior.

Of course, there is no requirement that a candidate for US President cannot also be an incarcerated felon; Gene Debs ran one of his campaigns from prison. But he lost, and so will Avenatti if he tries.
But then he can turn it into a triple dog dare for TFG to get incarcerated and "try doing at least as well as me in running from prison." PSYCHIC JUJITSU FOR THE WIN!

I mean, I can dream, right?
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
bob

Post by bob »

The ole "Motion for Your Honor to Respectfully STFU." :brickwallsmall:
Image ImageImage
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bob wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 5:17 pm The ole "Motion for Your Honor to Respectfully STFU." :brickwallsmall:
He likes to block people who don't say nice things (of which I am one). He can't block the judge on Twitter.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

No surprise:

Michael Avenatti argues to overturn conviction for defrauding Stormy Daniels
Avenatti was convicted of wire fraud and aggravated identity theft.
By Aaron Katersky January 5, 2024, 11:58 AM

Celebrity attorney Michael Avenatti deserves to have his conviction overturned because the trial erroneously instructed the jury about the professional duties of lawyers, Avenatti's lawyer argued Friday to a federal appeals court. Avenatti was convicted of aggravated identity theft and is serving prison time for defrauding his best-known client, adult film actress Stormy Daniels, out of the proceeds of her book contract.

On appeal, his defense argued the trial judge added inappropriate and prejudicial instructions to the jury about the seriousness of Avenatti's crime because it represented a breach of a lawyer's ethical duties. "Anytime a judge adds a qualifier is particularly problematic," defense attorney Kendra Hutchinson said Friday during an oral argument before a three-judge panel of the 2nd US Circuit Court of Appeals. "I think this charge should not have been given."

One of the appellate judges questioned whether the jury charge was really inappropriate, given Avenatti's professional responsibilities. "Mr. Avenatti is a lawyer licensed to practice in California," Judge Steven Menashi said. "So he has been trained in these rules." The same judge, however, also questioned whether the trial judge's remarks gave the jury the wrong impression. "If you are getting a pretty lengthy speech about lawyers' duties and a statement about what a particularly serious violation of those duties is and that is relevant to count one then that is inviting the jury to make a decision on count one on the basis of whether Avenatti violated his ethical duties," Menashi said.

Federal prosecutors argued the trial judge's actions were proper. "The judgment of conviction should be affirmed in this case," prosecutor Matthew Podolsky said. "I don't see any argument that the charge on the duties wasn't accurate." "Avenatti stole from his client. He did so to support his own business and fund his own lifestyle. He did so despite presenting himself to the world as his client's champion and defender and despite using that feigned credibility to secure fame and pursue political influence," prosecutors said.

The judge allowed Avenatti to serve about half of his sentence at the same time he serves prison time for extorting Nike. He will spend an extra two and a half years in prison for stealing from Daniels. The judge said the sentence reflected the "abuse of trust" Avenatti demonstrated and a belief he could get away with it because people would believe him over Daniels due to her "unorthodox " career as an adult film actress.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/michael-avena ... =106135030
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg

Return to “Law and Lawsuits”