Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

The Big Lie

Abandon reality, all ye who enter here. *Democracy*Under*Threat*
Jim

Re: The Big Lie

Post by Jim »

RVInit wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:29 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:49 pm His mustache is…interesting.
It has a vague familiarity about it, doesn't it?
Looks like Sgt Shultz from Hogan's Heroes to me. :biggrin:
Notaperson

Post by Notaperson »

Here's where election-denying candidates are running to control voting
An NPR analysis of 2022 secretary of state races across the country found at least 15 Republican candidates running who question the legitimacy of President Biden's 2020 win, even though no evidence of widespread fraud has been uncovered about the race over the last 14 months. In fact, claims of any sort of fraud that swung the election have been explicitly refuted in state after state, including those run by Republicans.

The duties of a state secretary of state vary, but in most cases, they are the state's top voting official and have a role in carrying out election laws. Wisconsin is the only state included in NPR's analysis where the state secretary of state does not oversee its elections, though at least one Republican lawmaker there has floated the idea of changing that.
:snippity:
Trey Grayson, a Republican former secretary of state from Kentucky, said the trend is worrisome but that it also makes sense since polling shows a majority of Republican voters feel similarly. A recent NPR/Ipsos poll, for example, found that two-thirds of Republicans nationally feel like fraud helped Biden win.

"There's a lot of crazy going around," Grayson said. "You have people running for these offices where the most important duty is counting the votes and accepting the results even if you don't like the outcome, and these folks don't appear to be well-positioned to do that."
https://www.npr.org/2022/01/04/10692322 ... rol-voting
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

Off Topic
bob wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:48 pm
Not sending their best.
Sgt Schultz.jpg
Sgt Schultz.jpg (13.9 KiB) Viewed 1776 times
Imagine that! :lol:

(ETA... That was one of my dad's favorite shows, he never missed it.)
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

MsDaisy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:19 pm
Hogan’s Heroes was one of my husband’s favorite shows too. He watched the original shows with his father who had been a POW in Germany in WWII.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Hic sunt dracones
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
All the German I know, I learned from watching Hogan's Heroes. Words like "dumbkopf" and "shutzstaffeln" and "nussink".

:whisper: Y'know, Sgt. Schulz always said "I saw nussink!" :lol:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:50 am
MsDaisy wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:19 pm
Hogan’s Heroes was one of my husband’s favorite shows too. He watched the original shows with his father who had been a POW in Germany
One last bit of trivia before we get scholded for threadjack. A lot of people were (rightfully) offended about a show that made Nazis look like incompetant goofballs but several of the actors. Klemperer - Klink, Banner - Schultz and Askin - Burkhalter were Jewish and fled Europe as Hitler invaded. Caine (Hochstetter) was born in TN but was also Jewish. LaBeau (Robert Clary) was Jewish and had been sent to a concentration camp and had the wrist tatoo.

Although some had some concerns about the show, they wanted to embarrass and humiliate the Nazis by making them look stupid and incompetant. Klemperer even had something in his contract that Klink always had to lose to Hogan or he'd walk.

https://groovyhistory.com/hogans-heroes ... de-of-wwii
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
tek

Post by tek »

(CNN) - After more than a year of baselessly questioning the results of the 2020 election, some Republicans are casting doubt on how ballots are counted, part of a broader movement inspired by former President Donald Trump's lies about election fraud that is undermining confidence in America's vote.
In at least three states -- Utah, New Hampshire and Texas -- Republicans have pushed for banning traditional ballot scanning machines in favor of hand-counting paper ballots, an antiquated process that experts fear could inject error into an election system where very little has been found. Critics also worry that the inevitable delay in results from hand counting would be an opportunity for those looking to sow doubt about the outcome of future contests.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/10/politics ... index.html
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
re handcounting from a foreigners perspective:

Swiss voters get a voting slip for each issue, or at election for each position to fill. The voting slips are colour coded. When same paper colour is used for different issues then the sides have a cutouts. The slips are usually of smallish size, multiple printed on a larger page and perforated. Latest at counting the votes of a page are separated. Then separated by issue (that's where the cutout comes to play on same coloured slips). Then the slips are inspected and invalid votes removed. The remaining are put into bundles, the slips of a bundle are counted manually and verified by a second person. In large precincts bank note counting machine are used, they are known not to make any errors.Vote counting at the precints is a civil duty (much like jury duty in the US), the number of people at work depends on the size of the precint. Generally speaking the local numbers are ready within four hours of closing, then a couple of hourse for the reports until all numbers perculate up to county and state level. Nowadays the reporting is computerized. What's special in Switzerland is that all voters receive the voting slips four weeks in advance with instructions and have time to fill them out, then carry them to the precint only to deposit in the collection box. No queues waiting for a voting machine to get free. Early voting is by dropping off the votes in a special envelope thru the post.
bob

Post by bob »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:34 pmSwiss voters get a voting slip for each issue, or at election for each position to fill. The voting slips are colour coded. When same paper colour is used for different issues then the sides have a cutouts. The slips are usually of smallish size, multiple printed on a larger page and perforated. Latest at counting the votes of a page are separated. Then separated by issue (that's where the cutout comes to play on same coloured slips). Then the slips are inspected and invalid votes removed. The remaining are put into bundles, the slips of a bundle are counted manually and verified by a second person. In large precincts bank note counting machine are used, they are known not to make any errors.Vote counting at the precints is a civil duty (much like jury duty in the US), the number of people at work depends on the size of the precint. Generally speaking the local numbers are ready within four hours of closing, then a couple of hourse for the reports until all numbers perculate up to county and state level. Nowadays the reporting is computerized. What's special in Switzerland is that all voters receive the voting slips four weeks in advance with instructions and have time to fill them out, then carry them to the precint only to deposit in the collection box. No queues waiting for a voting machine to get free. Early voting is by dropping off the votes in a special envelope thru the post.
Interesting perspective and additional data; thanks!

I believe (sadly) that many Americans are proud of their stubbornness and ignorance, e.g., "We always did it this stupid and ineffectual way, so we always will!" :roll:

And, of course, some politicians are counting on ineffective voting practices as a method to suppress voter participation. Much of the United States has a history of denying/deluding the vote of the "other."
Image ImageImage
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Off Topic
re handcounting from a foreigners perspective (add-on):

The basis of Swiss democracy. At federal level, eg Swiss government, there are yearly four vorting / election dates planned (the reservation for the next twenty years can be seen here https://www.bk.admin.ch/ch/d/pore/va/vab_1_3_3_1.html :mrgreen: ). At lower cantonal and municipality levels voting will be tacked unto the same procedure if something is at hand. But those lower levels will also add extra voting days for local issues as required. At municipality level, in the smaller places also about twice a year a Town Hall style assembly to vote on local problems (with discussion).

I just checked, next voting is February 13, so in a couple of days I ought to receive the ballots. I will see how to scan and post them as a sample.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

This is what I mean when I say, at least a third of this great land of ours is caught up in a cult, and to be a member of the cult you have to DENY REALITY. And if you refuse to deny reality, out you go.

And I still see no parallel in recorded history. It's a third of THREE HUNDRED AND THIRTY MILLION PEOPLE.

Interesting, though. I admit it's interesting. :whistle:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

filly

Post by filly »

Shameful that he gives these liars airtime/oxygen. Ari doesn’t have a good command of facts and allows these criminals to talk over him and control the conversation. Just shameful.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I don't normally watch him, for some reason he annoys me (maybe for the reasons filly stated). I was trapped by cat-in-lap and couldn't reach the laptop to change the channel without disturbing her, so I watched the whole thing. He also had Navarro on, as well as the man whose name I can't recall who organized the rally and then cooperated with the committee. He was the only one who came off as somewhat credible.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

filly wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:33 pm Shameful that he gives these liars airtime/oxygen. Ari doesn’t have a good command of facts and allows these criminals to talk over him and control the conversation. Just shameful.
:yeahthat:

He's getting roasted on the Twitter.

I may have participated.

:oldlady:
RVInit

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:01 pm
filly wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:33 pm Shameful that he gives these liars airtime/oxygen. Ari doesn’t have a good command of facts and allows these criminals to talk over him and control the conversation. Just shameful.

I may have participated.

There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
filly

Post by filly »

p0rtia wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:01 pm

I may have participated.

You and me both. We decided at dinner this evening that Melber will not ever be on out TV again. My husband is maybe more revolted by Melber than I am if that’s possible. So he’s now in Chuck Todd territory: they come on and MSNBC goes off!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:41 pm I don't normally watch him, for some reason he annoys me (maybe for the reasons filly stated). I was trapped by cat-in-lap and couldn't reach the laptop to change the channel without disturbing her, so I watched the whole thing. He also had Navarro on, as well as the man whose name I can't recall who organized the rally and then cooperated with the committee. He was the only one who came off as somewhat credible.
BTDT.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

Just to play devil's advocate a little bit . . .

MSNBC at least tries to have apposing views on their shows. I'd hate to see them become a liberal echo chamber, as Fox is for the conservative/reactionary viewpoint.

I agree that Melber doesn't do a very good job of moderating the conversation.

That said, I agree that those lying bastards are really annoying.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Nothing wrong with opposing views.

Navarro and his ilk are malign actors whose intent is to promote the end of democracy.

Ari think he can duel with them and expose their lies. His batting average is well under the Mendoza line.

I also can't tolerate his fondness for Scaramucci and other smiling corporatists who sucked up to TFG until he booted them. I have no interest in hearing their cheap jokes and entitled, parasitic view of life. (Cannot remember the name of the slimy Roger-Stone-like dude whose name, I think, begins with an N, that Ari had on constantly before the election. What a creep he is. Ari loved him.)

And in fact, Ari is the only one on MSNBC who is currently hosting anyone still proud of calling themselves a Republican. All the rest (Nicolle, Chris, Rachel, and what's his name at 10, gave up on it because they just lie and gaslight.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

his rap shit gets old because he is soo bad at it
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

sad-cafe wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:45 pm his rap shit gets old because he is soo bad at it
Oh god. Bad enough that he has rap segments, but he has this cringe-worthy habit of interrupting the most interesting guests (the only time I watch him is when he has on someone I want to hear) to make a joke or apply rap wisdom. Which inevitably destroys the flow of the conversation and sucks up all the guest's time.
sad-cafe

Post by sad-cafe »

exactly and they are looking at him like WTF

Return to “The Big Lie & Aftermath of The Former Guy”