Weather Alerts

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Person in panic "i need to rescue my home before the storm takes it" ...
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 8:56 am Person in panic "i need to rescue my home before the storm takes it" ...
Or, "I don't want to miss last call."
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Or, "I see the tornado but it's 10 miles down the road."
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

That's gotta be an F-Infinity.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Change approved. Add it to the FB lexicon.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer

:biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... estruction
Canada storms: at least eight dead amid trail of destruction
Huge clean-up after Ontario and Quebec hit by tornado-like weather, felling trees, uprooting utility poles and cutting power to more than 500,000
jemcanada2 - Are you okay?
Are you okay?
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:05 pm https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... estruction
Canada storms: at least eight dead amid trail of destruction
Huge clean-up after Ontario and Quebec hit by tornado-like weather, felling trees, uprooting utility poles and cutting power to more than 500,000
jemcanada2 - Are you okay?
Are you okay?
I’m fine! :thumbsup: Thanks for checking on me! :bighug:

I was just going to post about this storm (our new word is derecho :batting:) We didn’t get any damage where I live, but lots of friends on Facebook showed lots of damage. One was camping and the campground was destroyed. A friend’s kids and step kids were camping at one of their cottages. They didn’t answer her texts for hours and she was panicking. Luckily they were all fine, the weather there was good, and they were off the grid.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:bighug:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 5:15 pm :bighug:
:yeahthat:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hurricane- ... t-beaches/
Hurricane Agatha made landfall at 4 p.m. CT Monday just west of Puerto Angel, Mexico, with maximum sustained winds of 105 mph, according to the U.S. National Hurricane Center.

This is the earliest a Category 2 storm has made landfall along Mexico's Pacific Coast.

The National Hurricane Center warned of "extremely dangerous" coastal flooding from storm surge and "life-threatening" hurricane-force winds in the state Oaxaca. Heavy rains are expected to continue over southern Mexico through Tuesday.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Puerto Angel and Puerto Escondido, right below it, are popular vacation spots, especially with Europeans.

Stay safe!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

As hurricane season begins insurance companies pull out of Louisiana.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

So Agatha may become Alex. Transphobic weather nerds' heads will explode. ;)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

A real president would take a sharpie to that and spare DeSantisLand.
Keep safe, Floridians. Except DeSantis. I don't care if he keeps safe.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

We'll get wet for sure, and there's always a chance of pop-up tornados but, as I told Portia a bit ago, I'm almost rooting for a hurricane to wipe out my place so I can get the hell out of DeSantistan.

I should add we are one of the lucky ones not to get caught up in the roof insurance scandal* now enveloping Florida and we're fully insured, home, flood and hurricane. A lot of insurance companies are trying to get out of dealing with bad weather so they're cancelling policies on anyone with a roof more than 10 years old.** After a bad storm last summer, our insurance company gave us a new roof (minus deductible of course) so we're good but a lot of people are royally screwed.

*and a lot of cons are going on right now, people knocking on doors claiming to be roofers, taking a deposit then vamoose!

**There are people who were cancelled, paid tens of thousands out of pocket for a new roof but their insurance company refused to take them back!?!?! I don't remember the name of the last-hope company the state subsidizes but they're getting more applications than they have funds to cover losses so it's a yuge clusterfuck.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

We got wet but nothing serious. A few palm fronds blown down. Further south, in Naples and Marco Island, they had to deal with more damage. Miami got their ass kicked. But Miami gets their ass kicked every time there's a king tide.

ImageImageImage x4
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Well this is a first. Tornado warning. My husband, the cat and I are hunkered down in our basement. We can see the lightning hear the hail, rain and thunder. It’s pretty intense.

The worst of it should clear out of here soon. Still have power, so that’s good.

ETA: My house is in the red circle
6E8B3829-EDD6-489E-BCCD-881096311C69.jpeg
6E8B3829-EDD6-489E-BCCD-881096311C69.jpeg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 670 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Is everyone OK?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

So far. It’s been downgraded to severe thunderstorm warning but still very windy. Also flood warning, but we’re on a mountain so any flooding will be downhill from us.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:16 am So far. It’s been downgraded to severe thunderstorm warning but still very windy. Also flood warning, but we’re on a mountain so any flooding will be downhill from us.
Good. NWS radar seems to show that the worst is now east of you.
FiveAcres

Post by FiveAcres »

This weekend, we had a severe thunderstorm alert here in Colorado Springs. We didn't get anything here at the house but my partner was driving home from the golf course and encountered severe hail. First time we have had any hail damage on our cars in thirty years of living in Colorado. He has about ten dimples that we could find on his Prius.

We don't carry collision insurance on our (fully paid up) vehicles, and don't tend to fuss about cosmetic issues as long as the cars run well.
Avatar was a photo I took by Killary Fjord in 2005. Killary Fjord is in Northern Connemara, Ireland.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:47 am Well this is a first. Tornado warning. My husband, the cat and I are hunkered down in our basement. We can see the lightning hear the hail, rain and thunder. It’s pretty intense.

The worst of it should clear out of here soon. Still have power, so that’s good.

ETA: My house is in the red circle

6E8B3829-EDD6-489E-BCCD-881096311C69.jpeg
We had our first, as far as I can remember, tornado warning a month or two ago. You have to get them from TV or a weather app because there are no tornado sirens anywhere around here.

Return to “General Stuff”