Weather Alerts

filly

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by filly »

It snowed up here last night. Late for the season, we usually get our first snow in October. Had hellacious hail storms (plural) Sunday night/Monday morning. It's hard to sleep when the windows are being pelted. :blackeye:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, yesterday was the day local weather gave the winter forecast. Supposedly, average. We'll see. It's definitely gotten noticeably colder here over the last few days. Fall color was not as spectacular as last year, but I've been surprised that after a really warm two weeks at the beginning of October, color is nicer than I had expected. It's still hanging on, but not for long.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:27 am I hate November.

All the leaves are dying. It's getting colder day by day. The nights are getting longer. I have to grow in my winter feathers.

I want my summer back. :(
Autumn is my favorite time of the year. Not sure why. Maybe it's a mix of the start of the Scouting year (lots of different outdoor big Scouting events) or memories of fall school events such as Friday night football and so forth. The chill in the air and the changing leaves have the feel of apple cider and donuts.

Fall is also gorgeous in Northern Lower Michigan. The Saturday afternoons driving back to Northwest lower Michigan from central (Mt. Pleasant, Clare, Alma, Lansing) Michigan were always lovely. You have the color-changing intermixed with the green from the various pine trees spread out in front of you as you go over the hill.
101010 :towel:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:27 am I hate November.

All the leaves are dying. It's getting colder day by day. The nights are getting longer. I have to grow in my winter feathers.

I want my summer back. :(
You could just migrate to Australia. You can do Tuesday Zoom meetings from there.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I start out loving summer but by the time August rolls around, I pine for sweaters, for not sticking to my car seat, for piled-on blankets, for being able to breathe.

But we still have four months of that crap left! It gets into the 80s sometimes at Thanksgiving and Christmas. And “winter” lasts about 20 minutes, then we’re back into the ridiculous heat.

I’m so tired of endless summer. :violin:
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

1st freeze warning of the season for us tonight. I disentangled the Mandevilles from their outdoor trellis and brought them into the house. They're still blooming! Now I just have to find a place for them to live inside for the winter. I'm pretty sure we have way to many plants in the house already!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubby and I love autumn in Arkansas. We celebrate our birthdays and anniversary in October and enjoy the beautiful leaves and crisp air.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Lawn mowers cleaned and blades sharpened yesterday. Oil changed. Put away for winter and battery removed from rider mower. Snow blower and snow throwers both brought out and fueled up. Put in garage where easily accessible. Tires on car number one changed to studless winter tires. Okay winter, bring it on.
Largo al factotum.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Wait, the blower and thrower aren’t one piece of equipment? How inefficient.

Actually I’m not even sure of the difference :?
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.

Post by zekeb »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:57 am Wait, the blower and thrower aren’t one piece of equipment? How inefficient.

Naw. I have a big horky snow blower (two stage) for the ultra deep (two feet and deeper) drifts. Also for the berm the city leaves in front of my driveway, too. I have a little single stage for the normal stuff. The big horky snow blower is cumbersome and hard to maneuver, especially on ice. I'm old and lazy. I put as little effort into a job as I need to.
Largo al factotum.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:57 am Wait, the blower and thrower aren’t one piece of equipment? How inefficient.

A single-stage "snowblower" is basically a snow thrower. It picks up and throws in one step. The most basic kind has flaps, not an auger that picks up the snow and tosses it. Being a guy, I would want a 2 or 3 stage blower that is capable of clearing away the ice-age glaciers. More Power!!!!

Here are some explanations.

or this also explains.
https://www.backyardboss.net/snow-blowe ... w-thrower/
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

But if you go to the Toro website, they refer to all of their single-stage and two-stage snow removal machines as snowblowers.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
tek

Post by tek »

certainly where I came from in Western Mass, "snowthrower" and "snowblower" were interchangeable terms.
northland10

Post by northland10 »

For me, I really don't care what it's called. I would just like a toy that allows me to blow the snow in my driveway into Wisconsin.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

We had snow on our driveway once ...
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I ran screaming from snowy winters. Of course, I ended up in Florida...so there's that.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, we weren't ready for snow when it happened. No snowthrowblow machine, no salt, no snow shovel, and a driveway 120 yards long. We were stuck for four days. :(

Now I keep salt. I am NOT going to shovel 120 yards. It never snows enough for a machine.

Last year it snowed twice. On neither occasion did any of it stick.

But I still don't like cold weather.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I am fine with the winter and without it, I would have no excuse to buy a toy that would throw snow into the next state.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I'd be jealous, except I like it here. :biggrin:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
northland10

Post by northland10 »

I don't have won, sadly, though I am probably going shopping for something and will see how much that stupid practical inner voice takes away from my future fun.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I actually like winter more as I've gotten older. Climate change may be my friend here. It used to be that it would start snowing as early as end of October, early November. And that snow would often stay on the ground all winter, looking really dirty and being compressed. Snow usually starts later here now, frequently not much in December, so mostly January and February. But the major difference is that it always warms up after a snow, and all or most of the snow melts. We are actually getting more snow on average than we used to, but spread out and melting, it's a lot easier to take.

There are deviations, of course. We had nearly 60 inches of snow last winter, way past the average of 45 (which used to be 42), but even then, it didn't feel like way-over average snow. They are calling for about an average winter this season, with the most in January.

One reason it may not seem as bad as I used to be the one shoveling the 150=foot driveway, but I don't do that anymore. I don't drive out in it as much either, both reasons to dislike the snow. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The only thing I liked about winter was driving. I was pretty darn good at driving in bad weather.

At one time, I had a Fiat 128, the little front wheel drive toy. Piece of crap, among other things the clutch cable rubbed against something - by design - and broke on a regular basis. But that car was the bomb on snow and ice. I had some great fun in that little piece of crap. :biggrin:

I had an AMC Jeep, and I got it stuck twice so that 4 wheel drive was ... ineffective. Rattled mah bonez, driving the damn thing from suburban Maryland to University of Vermont. The Fiat was way more fun.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 am The only thing I liked about winter was driving. I was pretty darn good at driving in bad weather.
My husband was the best winter driver. He had a smart driver's ed instructor in high school. The instructor had the students practice winter driving and stopping in an empty snow covered parking lot - easy to find in northern Iowa in the wintertime. My husband loved using the hand brake in his '56 Chevy pickup on the freshly snow covered street as he neared the driveway. He would get the skid and steering wheel turn just perfect to align the pickup to then drive straight into the driveway. Of course, the newer front-drive cars with great snow tires weren't nearly as fun. A lot safer, but not as fun.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:51 am We had snow on our driveway once ...
:o You mean to say you used the machine in reverse :?:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Well played.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4

Return to “General Stuff”