Weather Alerts

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

:cheer2:
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

The predicted snowstorm on Tuesday bypassed us completely. Not this one. It's snowing, and we're supposed to have 2-4 inches by morning. But it will be more than 50 degrees by Tuesday, so we're not really planning to shovel much of this.

Last year, winter never arrived. It's been pretty much the same so far this winter. I like the lack of snow, but it's not really a good thing. I lost a 40-year-old japonica last spring. It had been beautiful, full of lovely flowers in the spring. I just watched it die all spring and summer. My son finally cut it down. :(
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

We’re expecting 3-5” overnight.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

I measured 3" on top of my BBQ grill about 3 hours ago and I'm guessing we've gotten at least an additional inch to inch and a half since then. It looks like it should roll out of here in the next half hour or so. We were supposed to go to St. Louis this morning but it was already snowing along the I-70 corridor and we didn't have to be there today. My Outback is really good in snow but there's no reason to drive in it if you don't have to. We'll probably go over tomorrow or Sunday.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

The mid-week storm did hit us. At one point yesterday afternoon, we heard some rather excited chittering near the front porch, shortly before DoorDash dropped off our lunch. I was in the middle of something, so it took me a couple of minutes to get our food. When I opened the door, lo and behold the squirrels were having, I kid you not, a snowball fight. One squirrel was carrying a snowball and being chased by two others. The first cut across the walk to our porch, turned, and chucked that snowball at the other squirrels. The middle one squeeked and ran after the first, but the last one stopped and just looked at me.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Weather Alerts

Post by jez »

I took a nap after work. Went to bed a bit after 5. A few flurries were floating around. Woke up about 7ish (yes, I was really tired, woke up at 430 am this morning). Look outside and there is 2-3 inches on top of the garbage and recycle bins I didn't bring in earlier. I'm thinking they can stay out there until tomorrow at least.

No more snow predicted but it's gonna be cold until at least Monday.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We’ve stopped at a little over 5”, which is a pretty decent snow for us. I’ve dragged the snowblower out of the basement so I can clear the drive before we go see my dad. If I don’t I’ll get a letter from the HOA. (The snowblower is an Ego battery operated blower. I would never store a gas powered snowblower in the basement.)
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Weather Alerts

Post by jez »

I may have to drag out the power shovel (mini snowblower) and cut a path to get bins in. Could be fun.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

What's this snow thing people are talking about? I remember seeing it some time ago, but it is long ago memory now.
101010 :towel:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Most of the driveway is clear but it's taken two trips out to get it done. It's 16 degrees right now and the cold air triggers my asthma after a while. I wear a mask which helps by preheating the air somewhat but eventually I start to cough and it's time to come in for a while. The neighbors on either side of me had already cleared the sidewalk which was mighty nice of them. I don't love Indiana but my neighbors are really nice people. I still need to put some ice melt on the front porch and clear the end of the drive where the snowplows left a ridge that my little electric snowblower has trouble with.

I think we're putting off the trip to St. Louis to see my dad for another day. We have an appointment with an assisted living place near him on Monday. It's getting to be that time.
John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The weather yesterday in Arkansas was mild and pleasant - in the 60's. I had enough energy to visit my horse, Princess. I received sad news that the farm owner, my shero, teacher par excellence, and superb horsewoman has dementia. She lived around the world with her diplomat dad and met her Air Force husband in Greece. What stories she could tell! My horse vet told me to consult with her about feeding issues, not to contact him, because she is the expert. :brokenheart:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug: TRL

----------------------------------------------

I'd say we had 5–6 inches last night. It's varying around the area, and I think the official is closer to 4 inches (ca. 10 cm), but that's what it is in my area. Cold and blustery here today. It was a snow globe kind of snow, so light weight and not hard for my son to shovel. It's a pretty day out.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It got up to 65° at 5pm at the Minneapolis airport today.

The predicted low for tomorrow night? . :o With a bit of blustery snow.

Isn't February fun?

Then back to the upper 60s by Sunday.

This winter is nuts. Our normal seasonal snowfall is 51". Last year we got 90". My snowblower got a workout last year! This year we've had only 14" and I haven't used my snowblower yet.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

We're about a day/day and a half behind you. I had the windows open today, but closed them when the heat came on. This is the second missing winter in a row.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Severe Thunderstorm warnings here and Tornado Warnings nearby. Lovely. It's not May/June yet.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

And there goes the sirens.
Chilidog

Weather Alerts

Post by Chilidog »

Tom Skilling is talking about his retirement.

I want him to say "good luck. You're on your own now!"
Chilidog

Weather Alerts

Post by Chilidog »

Fuck...
Fuck....
It's headed right toward us.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

I work for an electric (and water) utility, and occasionally get weather alerts. When we do, it means get ready to hunker down.

Yep, got one this afternoon for tonight and tomorrow...
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Chilidog wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:43 pm Fuck...
Fuck....
It's headed right toward us.
Not to make light of a dangerous situation, but this is where my brain went:

Chilidog

Weather Alerts

Post by Chilidog »

When...

It skipped north past us.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Behold the power of South Park!
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:56 pm When...

It skipped north past us.
The worst went south of us. We got hail.

I went to the basement and decided not to share it with the bat that was doing laps. They said take cover so it did.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

So far as we know, right now, there were 4 reported tornados in the Chicago area and a fifth one in western Illinois. Most of the damage appears to be trees down and such.

Over in Mundelein, there was a structure (or partial wall) collapse at an apartment building (2 story building, I think). I don't know if the weather had anything to do with it. The call came a bit after the storms had passed, so who knows? It could have been weakened. There was a large FD presence to search the building, but they recently determined there was nobody left in there. I don't know if there were injuries.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

The storm is hitting us, hard enough to rattle the house. Looks like we could get by up to three bands, though the last one would just clip us.

Return to “General Stuff”