Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Winter weather forces Yosemite to close; severe storms forecast in Oklahoma, Kansas: Weekend weather

Amanda Lee Myers and Claire Thornton, USA TODAY
Sun, February 26, 2023 at 12:07 AM GMT+1

LOS ANGELES — A storm causing blizzard conditions, heavy rain and high winds kept pummeling California Saturday before continuing on to impact Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas by Sunday.

The National Weather Service warned of flooding risks in both San Diego and Los Angeles on Saturday. Blizzard warnings remained in effect in mountainous areas surrounding Los Angeles and the Sierra Nevada farther north.

Meanwhile, winter weather forced the closure of Yosemite National Park through Wednesday, the park announced on Saturday.

EXPLAINED: A blizzard in Southern California? What to know about weird weekend weather.

When the storm system reaches Oklahoma, Texas and Kansas, it'll be in the form of thunderstorms that carry the possibility of tornados, said Bob Larson, senior meteorologist at AccuWeather.

Those won't be the only regions affected by storms.

:snippity:

Southern California mountain gets more than 6 feet of snow

More than six feet of snow had fallen in recent days around Mountain High Ski Resort in the San Gabriel mountains northeast of Los Angeles by Saturday morning, the National Weather Service reported.

Other mountains in the area also received more than four feet of snow by Saturday, according to totals published by the weather service.

By Friday afternoon, snow had fallen as low as the Hollywood sign, mudslides and snow closed major highways and evacuation warnings were issued in parts of Ventura County.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/blizzard-war ... 00282.html
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

California storm brings flooding and leaves thousands without power

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-64774725
Mass power outages, flooding and the closures of both motorways and beaches are affecting California as a rare winter storm sweeps the US state.

More than 120,00 people - many of them in the Los Angeles area - are without electricity after days of fierce winds.

The main north-south motorway on the West Coast, Interstate 5, remains shut in the mountainous section known as the Grapevine.

The storm, which is due to weaken, is one of the strongest to hit the state.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:31 pm Certainly minor compared to what California is going through, but lowland snow coming in a few hours to the Puget Sound region in a few hours through tomorrow morning. Thankfully there's nothing I need at the grocery store for a couple of days, so as long as I have cable and internet, I'm good.
After reading about California's woes, I feel bad about mentioning that we got about an inch and a half of snow here. Apparently there's more on the way. Blech.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Meanwhile in Texoma-
Tonight

Showers and thunderstorms likely before 9pm, then showers and possibly a thunderstorm between 9pm and midnight. Some storms could be severe, with damaging winds. Low around 44. Windy, with a southwest wind 31 to 36 mph becoming west 22 to 27 mph. Winds could gust as high as 49 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New precipitation amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
much ado

Weather Alerts

Post by much ado »

Snow on the Joshua trees, Inyo County, California desert just west of Death Valley National Park boundary, Feb 25. Picture posted on California Native Plant Society Facebook page.

sad-cafe

Weather Alerts

Post by sad-cafe »

we are in the weather

thunder and lightening are loud and bright :eek:
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:24 pm we are in the weather

Stay safe!
jcolvin2
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by jcolvin2 »

much ado wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:41 pm Snow on the Joshua trees, Inyo County, California desert just west of Death Valley National Park boundary, Feb 25. Picture posted on California Native Plant Society Facebook page.

That photo looks vaguely familiar. It’s been 40 years, but I remember camping in Eureka Valley, which is in Inyo County. It is notable for having some of the largest inland sand dunes in the world. We watched a lightning storm in the mountains that separated us from Death Valley.
sad-cafe

Weather Alerts

Post by sad-cafe »

Living in tornado alley, I should not get so rattled but I do. I blame it on my grandmother who grew up and lived through storms without alerts.

Her last few years, she lived in a nursing home. Whenever there were storms she would insist on being wheeled to the hall with no windows.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

sad-cafe wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:24 pm we are in the weather

That same line of thunderstorms went thru here. CodeRED Alerts issued. Intense storm but brief as the storms moved at 75 MPH. Tornado warnings north of us in Oklahoma City area.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

SE of us-

NWS Fort Worth
@NWSFortWorth@masto.ai
Severe Thunderstorm Warning including Mineral Wells TX, Graford TX and Palo Pinto TX until 10:30 PM CST https://t.co/ahZmX9rZ03
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

My mother was terrified of thunderstorms. She passed that on to my sister, but I never quite got it. I am careful if there's a thunderstorm to not shower, stand at the windows, or talk on the phone, so I guess maybe I got the message a little. I'm just not frightened the way she was. We had a strike in our front yard last summer. That did some damage, and I'll never forget how that sounded.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Axios

NEW: The NWS' Norman office said a confirmed tornado striking the Oklahoma city "will impact I-40" as it urged people to "Stay off the roads!"

https://www.axios.com/2023/02/27/califo ... re-weather
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

My spouse has discovered that the place where he's gone in the past for training in Oklahoma was very narrowly missed by a tornado last night (National Center for Employee Development). The tornado also very narrowly missed the National Weather Center. The NWC staff were hunkered down in their shelter during the tornado.

I can't tell if he's disappointed that he missed it, or glad he wasn't there for it.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

All the trees around here, even the hickories and maples and oaks, are budding out. Not just the cherries and the forsythia, everybody is popping. This is the earliest spring in the twenty years we've lived here, and this week is going to be in the mid- to upper 70s for the next three days, which will do very little to dissuade the vegetable kingdom from thinking we're already deep into spring.

And I like warm weather, but this is ridiculous. It isn't even March yet (almost). :?

And we never had a whisper of snow. I don't think it ever went below 25° F.

Global weirding hits Rawly, film video at 11. :smoking:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Flatpoint High »

https://www.sfchronicle.com/weather/art ... 803841.php
Parts of the Bay Area and Central Coast were transformed into a winter wonderland on Friday morning, with snow blanketing areas at higher elevation — making for gorgeous photos but also treacherous travel conditions.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

The photo of the vineyard covered in snow is :eek: .
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Flatpoint High »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:55 am The photo of the vineyard covered in snow is :eek: .
No kidding.
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

We had a total of 0.2 inches of snow in February, the lowest amount for February in recorded history.

Had plenty of rain, though.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Phoenix520 »

We went to Palm Springs over the weekend. It was weird seeing our mountains covered in snow. We had such a busy few days that the only pics I remembered to get were from inside the car.
0E02F5BD-4FEF-4290-8EF1-B9DE091E2E53.jpeg
0E02F5BD-4FEF-4290-8EF1-B9DE091E2E53.jpeg (56.2 KiB) Viewed 370 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:o
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Phoenix520
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Phoenix520 »

Thanks Andy! That one’s iconic!!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

A tree fell on a California Highway Patrol car but did not injure the officer on March 1, 2023, on Highway 4 near Murphys.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/officer-avoi ... 17868.html
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Off Topic
I have spent a few days at Murphys. Gorgeous old town, nice lodging, food and of course - wine!

Return to “General Stuff”