Weather Alerts

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

for the record, uploaded three days ago

Phoenix520
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Phoenix520 »

Mammoth is just one of the mountain communities digging out from the snow. All the local ski places are going to have a great spring ski season.

Lake Arrowhead, Idylwild, other mountain communities without the ski slopes, are just screwed. Hundreds are stranded in cabins. We’re not used to (so much) snow.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

We've talked about doing a winter train trip through the Sierra on Amtrak. I went to the website yesterday to see if there are any alerts to say the California Zephyr isn't running, It surprised me that it, apparently, is operating. The only other winter trip we have ever taken was in Alaska in a February, and it was spectacular.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
humblescribe
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by humblescribe »

Lee Vining is a tiny community on the west shore of Mono Lake. (Clint Eastwood filmed "High Plains Drifter" on the north shore of Mono Lake.) US395 is the highway connecting Lee Vining to points south (like Mammoth Lakes and Bishop) and points north (Bridgeport and on into Nevada.) Lee Vining is also the gateway to Tioga Pass and the east entrance to Yosemite.

An avalanche crashed down on US395 just north of Lee Vining and resulted in about a 30-foot barrier of snow that is about a half-mile long. A small settlement north of there, Mono City, was without electricity until late Friday. Bridgeport, seat of Mono County, is still without power. Edison is trying their darndest to restore power temporarily to Bridgeport and environs. It is unknown just how long it will take to clear the highway of all this snow.

Here is a link to webcams at Lee Vining.

https://www.monolake.org/engage/webcams/

In addition, snow that accumulates from snowstorms is generally picked up by contractors and dumped at locations to melt eventually as the weather warms. These storage areas are nearly full. As a result the snow on roads and highways that has been plowed cannot be removed. This makes for narrow, almost corridor-like driving. Gonna be a fun month of March as the weather warms and snowstorms turn to rainstorms and back into snowstorms over night. Bridgeport is forecast for nine days of snow and/or rain from March 10-19 with temperatures between 24 and 41 degrees.

Fun fact: The United States Marine Corps has its Mountain Warfare Training Center about 25 miles north of Bridgeport on highway 108 that snakes up to Sonora Pass. I bet those gyrenes are having a lot of fun doing their exercises and drills about now.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

For the fun of it, the guy from Mammoth Mountains area, snow, snow, snow....

four days ago
► Show Spoiler
three days ago
► Show Spoiler
two days ago
► Show Spoiler
yesterday
► Show Spoiler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... r-eastern/
In mid-February, air temperatures 10 to 30 miles above the North Pole spiked as much as 50 degrees, setting in motion a chain-reaction process that’s already influencing the weather over North America. Known as a “sudden stratospheric warming” event, the abrupt warm-up of the stratosphere — the second layer of Earth’s atmosphere — disrupted the polar vortex and led to its demise.

Since that episode three weeks ago, dominoes have been toppling that have shuffled weather patterns over North America. Now, it’s looking like parts of the eastern United States — which have largely skirted Old Man Winter’s wrath to date — may be in for a spell of cold and increased winter storm chances.

Already, the development of high pressure over Greenland — a textbook response to polar vortex disruptions — is helping to displace cold air from the Arctic and transplant it south. The Arctic has suddenly turned unseasonably mild in many areas, while below-average temperatures are arriving in the eastern United States, all while a pair of winter storms prepare to march from the Upper Midwest into the interior Northeast and Mid-Atlantic.
We look to be getting a taste of this starting Friday. They haven't said how much snow yet. I was out today, and daffodils are out in bloom and the forsythias are starting to look yellowish, too.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

6pm today for me, or so they say. It has already dropped from 4 to 7 down to 2 to 4. The smaller amount is no big deal for a rehearsal night.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Remember Oroville four years back? And the images of the empty lake last summer and autumn?

Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:08 pm Remember Oroville four years back? And the images of the empty lake last summer and autumn?

I do! Thank you for the video.
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Note: if I heard correctly, the lake has risen 180 feet since beginning of December!
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:48 pm Note: if I heard correctly, the lake has risen 180 feet since beginning of December!
Yes, and it is only 60 feet below full pool, which is incredible.
much ado

Weather Alerts

Post by much ado »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:48 pm Note: if I heard correctly, the lake has risen 180 feet since beginning of December!
Crossposting...

Here's a link to the California Dept of Water Resources online graph of the Lake Oroville storage level. (Scroll down for the graph.) It is updated daily, so it does not yet show today's release. The cyan area is the average level by date in the water year.

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/resapp/ResDetail?resid=ORO

You can read the level in feet on the right side of the graph.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

And winter is not over yet. :crying:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

And we are in the history book for one of the lowest totals for snow for a winter; not sure exactly where. But it's the least in I can ever remember. We haven't shoveled once.

Edited.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'll be going out this afternoon to shovel for the third time in a week. Because it's been warm, the snow has been dense. Today's snow, like the two earlier snowfalls this week, amounts to only a couple of inches, but I'll end up using my snowblower because I can't lift the heavy shovelfuls to toss the snow off the driveway.
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

more snowy impressions

humblescribe
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by humblescribe »

It is unlawful in California to drive your vehicle on the roads and highways with snow accumulated on the hood, roof, or trunk of your car. Every now and again the CHP cites motorists for this infraction.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

humblescribe wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:57 pm It is unlawful in California to drive your vehicle on the roads and highways with snow accumulated on the hood, roof, or trunk of your car. Every now and again the CHP cites motorists for this infraction.
Same here.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

It's illegal in North Carolina to drive a pickup truck without any dogs or children in the back. :liar:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
humblescribe
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by humblescribe »

Foggy wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:40 pm It's illegal in North Carolina to drive a pickup truck without any dogs or children in the back. :liar:
What about not having a gun displayed in the gun rack? :blackeye:
Flatpoint High
Occupation: professional pain in the ass, voice actor & keeper of the straight face
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Flatpoint High »

there's a Nor'ester headed my way tonight!!! WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!
castigat ridendo mores.
VELOCIUS QUAM ASPARAGI COQUANTUR
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

We had a snow squall for about fifteen minutes. More snow than we had in the entire month of February (0.2 inches).
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:36 pm
humblescribe wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:57 pm It is unlawful in California to drive your vehicle on the roads and highways with snow accumulated on the hood, roof, or trunk of your car. Every now and again the CHP cites motorists for this infraction.
Same here.
I don't know if it is a rule in Illinois but it would not matter for me. I have this weird OCD thing with clearing snow from my car (Jeep Grand Cherokee) and driveway. I clear all the parts of the car as much as possible (including that area that is slightly underneath the hood), and find the exact edge of the driveway and clear right to that.

It gets worse. On Thursday night, after about 2-3 inches of wet snow, I decided to clear snow to make it easier the next day. Some folks were probably wondering why I was also shoveling snow in the road in front of my place (about 4 feet from the curb). It is one of my oddities that, it would be easier to clear a few inches from the road, then from the end of my driveway after the plows came by (and the sidewalk since it is only about 2 feet from the road).

The next day, people have a bunch of snow in their driveway from the snow and the plow, I have about 2 inches.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Return to “General Stuff”