Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Latest phone alert emergency broadcast just came in...

Screenshot_20221001-131548-918.png
Screenshot_20221001-131548-918.png (33.59 KiB) Viewed 674 times

I'd never heard of 211 before now.

I still have no running water.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RVInit

Weather Alerts

Post by RVInit »

p0rtia, I am so glad you still have a house and roof! I was very concerned about how your place would fare during that storm, what a blessing it's still standing. I hope it didn't sustain too much damage.

I was so lucky this time, the storm moved so slowly by the time it reached our area it was down to a Cat 1. I stayed at the rehab center overnight with my mother. They fed all the families who stayed, we got free lunch, dinner, and breakfast, which was nice, I didn't have to cook and bring anything ahead of time. My mom has at least one shrub in the back yard that is completely uprooted, but the rest is just lots of small tree debris all over the place in the back yard, but no damage to the house that I can find. I got the front yard debris all cleaned up, tomorrow will get the back done and chop that shrub into pieces and get it stacked for pickup. My mother's back yard is a butterfly garden with all native trees, shrubs, flowering plants of all kinds, and native flowering groundcover. The shrub she lost is a favorite of the Giant Swallowtail butterflies. Will have to replace that for sure.
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
RVInit

Weather Alerts

Post by RVInit »

Oh yeah, I do have to say, DeSantis was on top of things as far as preparation for the storm. But only because this year just happens to be an election year. In the past he has never been anywhere to be found as far as being on TV and looking like a leader and planning for a hurricane. I just rolled my eyes every time I saw him on TV looking so competent.

All that does is tell me that he actually IS capable of being competent and is simply choosing to be a do-nothing shit-stirring Trumpist whose only interested in doing anything when it affords an opportunity to stage a political spectacle. :trashcan: :toxic-waste: :puke:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I think the last report I saw on CNN an hour or so ago was 66 confirmed deaths.

On a lighter note, it was really weird to see some of the usual CNN hosts wearing Florida casual. Really weird seeing Jim Acosta wearing casual pants and polo shirts instead of his usual business attire.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

DANA BASH: You're asking for disaster relief money for Florida, but you voted against a relief package after Sandy

MARCO RUBIO: It included stuff like a roof for a museum in DC

BASH: I read the congressional research report and it sounds like the roof was damaged by the storm
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Yes, flooding. The slow motion disaster that can get you days after the storm has passed.

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Reportedly from FL.
F1FB52CD-E48E-4F94-8778-6386D7B8A446.jpeg
F1FB52CD-E48E-4F94-8778-6386D7B8A446.jpeg (251.09 KiB) Viewed 481 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
p0rtia

Weather Alerts

Post by p0rtia »

So much happening vis a vis the access to Pine Island. Revolt yesterday as word spread that the County had ordered a mandatory evac of Pine Island, while at the same time was stalled on talk of restoring access. Nine thousand homes on PI left to rot for months--not a happy prospect. Local earth-moving company said, essentially: Give us the contract, we'll have access within two weeks. This, and the calling campaign that instantly materialized, hopefully contributed to DeSantis today announcing that he had directed FDofT to establish access by Oct 8. County Manager said he wanted a window of 120 days to restore access to Pine Island and Estero Island (did not even know Estero had an island) but hopefully he has been shouted down. County Commissioner Chairman said "7 to 10 days". That ballpark is acceptable to residents. Plus, talk of "mandatory evac" was changed to "suggested". Huge problem with livestock with no water. Oy.
DeSantis Statement on Matlacha.jpg
DeSantis Statement on Matlacha.jpg (414.08 KiB) Viewed 473 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Will watch with interest.

Doing something that fast probably means a pontoon bridge. It also means that the pontoons and other components already exist.

However hard to have an informed opinion without details about the water depth, length of the bridge, tides, etc.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

One would think that the National Guard would have access to a pontoon bridge or get it from the Army or the Marine Corps. :think:

ETA... ninja'd, tides may be a problem.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

We passed a bill on Friday that included $18.8 billion for FEMA’s hurricane response.

Every Florida Republican, including Matt Gaetz, voted no.

Steube: I signed a major disaster declaration letter to the President. He still hasn’t signed that. Congress needs to act to bring supplemental funding to Florida
p0rtia

Weather Alerts

Post by p0rtia »

Regarding the above in terms of Pine Island/Matlacha, no, they're going to clear the rubble, rebuild the causeway and lay a road. Probably temporary, but that's fine. It's only a couple hundred yards. Then there is a small broken bridge, but the span in only about 50 feet, and it's not very high in the air.
Attachments
Matlacha Repairs.jpg
Matlacha Repairs.jpg (389.04 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

I should have spent more time checking. I assumed that the breach was somewhere more like the Matlacha Pass Bridge.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Acosta is talking to locals who claim there are hundreds of bodies in Lee County that they aren’t counting yet, the end of this clip.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

neonzx

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

:roll:
It's not bad because it did not carry away their SUV. Stubborn jerks didn't evac.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... tic-storm/
A formidable coastal storm, born from the remnants of Hurricane Ian, is spinning up off the Mid-Atlantic coast, delivering flooding to shores already swamped by days of rain and strong onshore winds.

About 30 million people in the Mid-Atlantic are under some kind of coastal flood alert from the National Weather Service. Coastal flood warnings for an ocean surge of at least 2 feet are in effect through late Tuesday from central New Jersey to the Virginia-North Carolina border.
We got a lot of rain out of this on Saturday, but not too much wind. We are still cloudy, and if you look at a weather map, that's still from the storm, but it's supposed to start moving out in the next few days. We had plans for the weekend that didn't happen because of the rain and the big temperature drop from the storm. No complaints.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
neonzx

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

NEON HAS RUNNING WATER (with a boil notice for consumption).

I can shower and wash clothes!

:groupdance:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Save water and shower clothed ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Or, save water and shower with a friend. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:13 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... tic-storm/
A formidable coastal storm, born from the remnants of Hurricane Ian, is spinning up off the Mid-Atlantic coast, delivering flooding to shores already swamped by days of rain and strong onshore winds.

About 30 million people in the Mid-Atlantic are under some kind of coastal flood alert from the National Weather Service. Coastal flood warnings for an ocean surge of at least 2 feet are in effect through late Tuesday from central New Jersey to the Virginia-North Carolina border.
We got a lot of rain out of this on Saturday, but not too much wind. We are still cloudy, and if you look at a weather map, that's still from the storm, but it's supposed to start moving out in the next few days. We had plans for the weekend that didn't happen because of the rain and the big temperature drop from the storm. No complaints.
Yep. We are under a coastal flood alert today and again tomorrow. Fortunately it is only 1 to 2 feet above normal high tides but that can flood low areas with up to 1/2 of water. The local Oldies station this afternoon about 2 hours before high tide reported that the water in the cove behind their broadcast house was up to their dock and starting to come onto their back yard. In some of the bigger storms over the years their building has flooded but they managed to keep broadcasting.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Coming back from the post office, we discovered Denny’s had opened. Not too many people so we pulled in. It was grand slam or nothing and probably the best meal I’ve ever had in my life. While I’m here, is there anything I can get for the Grand Slam jury?

Still no power but they are getting the poles put back up today so maybe this weekend, fingers crossed. We’ve had water for a few days but under a boil order. We’ve been going to FEMA to get ice which is distributed by the national guard. Luckily we’ve had plenty of food so that was no problem and all the neighbors pulled together. I was careful not to wear any T-shirts that might piss somebody off, which is not my usual style but I’m just not going there this time.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Return to “General Stuff”