Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Danraft

Weather Alerts

Post by Danraft »

Well, for Christmas I have a woman a dated in Texas for a bit around 2001. We have kept in touch and she is always full of interesting stories and is currently in Colorado and has her father living with her.

Anyway, we have sent gifts back and forth for a few years and this year I sent (using Amazon to deliver it directly to her) an unusual gift of a Venus Fly Trap plant. (There are reasons that was both funny and appropriate).

UPS delivered it while she was home in the late evening, but when she opened it, parts of the plant were frost bitten… she says she thinks it will make it… LOL… but I knew it was a bit risky. Looks like it may survive.

The perils of Winter delivery!
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 3:20 pm There be potty words at the video.
That reminds me of when I lived in Seattle. One year we had snow, and all my friends - who normally didn't want to let me drive anywhere because they said I scared them (though I only had one accident on my record and it wasn't my fault...) - insisted that I drive because "You're from Kansas! You're used to snow!" To which I responded "Hills! You have HILLS!" Plus, it was my first winter driving with a stick-shift. Somehow, they didn't think it would be a problem.

Amazingly, I got through it without adding another accident to my record, but damn, I swore I was never trying that again. I think I spent almost as much time sliding back down hills as I did going up them...
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Weather Alerts

Post by Greatgrey »

DEEB6AF0-8155-438A-95EF-A7A85BC9DE6C.png
DEEB6AF0-8155-438A-95EF-A7A85BC9DE6C.png (95.45 KiB) Viewed 661 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I'll put in a plug here for Yaktrax. They make traction devices to put on the bottom of your shoes so that you don't slip. Costco carries one of their products when winter begins and I love the ones I bought. Sometimes it's icy on the driveway, then snow falls on top of it. These will save me from falling and breaking an ankle or a wrist. I think the ones Costco sells are the "Spikes Traction Device." Well worth the money!
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:24 pm I'm really impressed with that guy's ice skating skills, but I'll bet it wasn't fun. :o
Yeah, but honestly, was he really thinking he could drive his car down that driveway after he scraped the ice off the windows? He was lucky he was so stupid as to go down the hill like that, because it would have been a little more expensive if it had been his car.

Dumbass. :doh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

You know how I said my parents where visiting my sister and her family :thor: in Virginia? My brother-in-law just posted that the pipes have frozen. We also lost power briefly (came back after the first reclose) at about 7 this morning.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

I know you guys would kill for 40 degree weather, but that's pretty chilly for southern Florida so I'm going to tell you this story anyway. This morning, when it was time to walk fur baby Gilda to the vacant lot across the street, the poor thing was not prepared for the arctic blast of 42 degrees that hit her. But she had to go so she soldiered on, dragging me across the street, doing her business, then almost pulling my arm off to get back to the house. I unhooked her leash and let her run as fast as those short, 11 yo legs would take her, then she stood at the front door and glared at me for taking my sweet time catching up to open the door.

(Portia can attest to the glaring. Gilda has the most expressive eyes I've ever seen on a dog.)
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

jcolvin2 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:51 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:08 pm I am in central Arkansas about 400 miles south of the NWA Regional Airport. I don't k ow the weather conditions there.
I did not imagine that the whole of Arkansas extended 400 miles from north to south. 😀
I double checked my estimate. It is 354 miles from Junction City, Arkansas, which is on the border with Louisiana, to Bella Vista, AR, which is on the border with Missouri. :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Weather Alerts

Post by bill_g »

The Willamette Valley where we live south of the Portland Metro area is an ice cube. It's not as bad as a couple years ago, but this 1/4 to 1/2 inch of frozen rain coated everything. Carcicles everywhere. Even tire chains are not an effective means of moving around. Cramp-ons or Yak-Trax (mentioned earlier by mn-skeptic) for your shoes are the best way to manuveur.
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:42 am The Willamette Valley where we live south of the Portland Metro area is an ice cube. It's not as bad as a couple years ago, but this 1/4 to 1/2 inch of frozen rain coated everything. Carcicles everywhere. Even tire chains are not an effective means of moving around. Cramp-ons or Yak-Trax (mentioned earlier by mn-skeptic) for your shoes are the best way to maneuver.
It is raining here now, and it's warmer, but there's still plenty of ice, as I discovered this morning.

I think some crampons might be a good idea for the future!
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

bill_g wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:42 am The Willamette Valley where we live south of the Portland Metro area is an ice cube. It's not as bad as a couple years ago, but this 1/4 to 1/2 inch of frozen rain coated everything. Carcicles everywhere. Even tire chains are not an effective means of moving around. Cramp-ons or Yak-Trax (mentioned earlier by mn-skeptic) for your shoes are the best way to manuveur.
Yaktrax are good for snow over ice that's been roughed up a bit but on sheer slick ice, no go for me.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:12 am I'll put in a plug here for Yaktrax. They make traction devices to put on the bottom of your shoes so that you don't slip. Costco carries one of their products when winter begins and I love the ones I bought. Sometimes it's icy on the driveway, then snow falls on top of it. These will save me from falling and breaking an ankle or a wrist. I think the ones Costco sells are the "Spikes Traction Device." Well worth the money!
Yep! Have used them for many years.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Heavy rain. I was going to attempt a venture out to store for a few things, but I'll wait until tomorrow (or Monday for Trader Joe's). Crowds must be awful and I don't want to get drenched in cold rain after getting over a cold.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

for the record a small snippet

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Well, they finally plowed our street (we live on a court, so we are always last). I just watched it spin out and then get stuck twice. :hoover:
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

'One For The Ages' Blizzard's Death Toll Rises To 27 In Western NY: Reports

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/s/ ... newsletter
The Buffalo-area blizzard's death toll rose to 27 in western New York, more than half of the number nationwide, authorities said on Monday, The Associated Press reported.

The people were found in cars, homes, and at the side of the road in snowbanks — some apparently dying while shoveling snow, others when first responders could not get to them in time to address medical emergencies, the outlet.

A 27-year-old man in Niagara County was found dead inside his home after an external furnace was blocked by heavy snow, causing carbon monoxide to get inside the home, The New York Times reported.

In a tour of Buffalo, Gov. Kathy Hochul said the community is grieving for the families who are receiving the "horrible, heartbreaking news" of their loved one's death.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

We got through snow and an ice storm, but today we are supposed to get high winds.

Can't we just go back to "it's cold and dry today"?
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:45 pm We got through snow and an ice storm, but today we are supposed to get high winds.

Can't we just go back to "it's cold and dry today"?
LOL. It's like what's next. I think the winds are picking up soon, but with the King Tide, there's reports of flooding in the lowlands.
much ado

Weather Alerts

Post by much ado »

Daughter ado was supposed to fly today to upstate New York with a friend. Not happening. Flight cancelled. Postponed till January.

Son ado flew down from Seattle last Wednesday by Alaska Airlines, luckily missing all the bad weather. (We had fun watching the Seattle videos above.) He was supposed to be flying back this evening by Southwest. Not happening. Flight cancelled. He will be working remotely for a while.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Winds increasing currently along the coast with gusts of 50-65MPH there now. Stronger gusts will continue to spread inland over the next few hours. Look for winds to pick up primarily after 6 PM in the Seattle metro area. #wawx
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

We flew into NYC Saturday night from Phoenix, not canceled but a few hours of delays. The real problem was at the rental car counter. They TOOK the reservation, but they didn’t KEEP the reservation. Took sitting for another few hours in a cold lobby without chairs to wait for someone to return a car. We did get a nice upgrade for free though. I felt bad for people coming in trying to rent cars one way to drive to their final destination. They were getting gouged something fierce. I heard a guy get quoted $3700 one way to Denver, a gal get quoted $1900 one way to Dallas, it was bad.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Families prayed for a miracle as a deadly blizzard trapped their loved ones in cars. None came.
“We still feel helpless,” said a relative of Anndel Taylor, 22, who was stuck in her car for two days before she was found dead on Christmas.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fa ... -rcna63355
“You hope for the freaking best and you want the best, and everyone’s praying and everyone wants a miracle, and it doesn’t turn out that way,” Syta said through tears.

At least 64 people in the U.S. have died in the blizzard that wreaked havoc in at least a dozen states, according to an NBC News tally. Erie County, New York, accounted for more than half the death toll at 33, including 28 in Buffalo, officials said.

Among the dead in Erie County were many who perished from heart problems while shoveling or blowing snow, County Executive Mark Poloncarz said. The "once in a lifetime" storm, Poloncarz added, also killed many people in their cars.

On Friday afternoon, Jóźwiak wanted to buy fresh fish to make a traditional Polish meal for Christmas Eve, but her red Chevy Cobalt got stuck in a snowdrift, Syta said.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Haven't lost power yet, but there's been a lot of flickering of lights here.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Azastan wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:23 pm Haven't lost power yet, but there's been a lot of flickering of lights here.
Good luck!

Return to “General Stuff”