Weather Alerts

Reddog

Weather Alerts

Post by Reddog »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:34 am We got the snow. Here, I'd say we got 4–5 inches, although it varied really widely up to about 10, depending on altitude. The official at the airport is 3 inches (7.62 cm). Still very cold, but we will see 50 degrees next week with rain.

Same here, I’m a little worried about a quick melt runoff with rain. It’ll probably be fine, only about 6 inches of snow. But looks like it’s going to be very fast snow melt.

I know weather has been bad this last week but it’s nothing really oof the ordinary.

Getting back to climate though, what is (to me) out of the ordinary was 1. Seeing dandelion blooms in January, before this freeze. 2. Long term forecast (9 days) where the low temperatures will stay above freezing, in January!
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:28 pm IMG_6227.png

About 1.12 inches? Sounds kinda specific to me.
Our forecast have been very specific, 2-6 inches, except near the lake , probably, maybe.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

All we got is cold. And flooding, every year at this time they open up the dam on the Neuse, and we have to take alternative paths for walking on the Greenway. The bridges are underwater, but most of the trails are okay. 'Course, it would be cool (cooler) if'n the river would freeze enough to walk on it, but not happenin' in Rawly. :blackeye:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

northland10 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:52 am
Shizzle Popped wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:28 pm IMG_6227.png

About 1.12 inches? Sounds kinda specific to me.
Our forecast have been very specific, 2-6 inches, except near the lake , probably, maybe.
I think we ended up getting somewhere around two inches which is no big deal. I measured one and three quarter inches on the top of my grill but it's fairly exposed and it was windy. The driveway had about an inch up next to the door and three to four inches down by the street.

We're supposed to break freezing for the first time in a week tomorrow and that will be followed by Seattle weather. Forty-something, cloudy with light rain and mild winds for a few days. I can live with that.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Our older daughter (who trains and supervises court-appointed child advocates) tells us that the local courts have already closed for tomorrow.
.......Vernon, Sheppard AFB, Wichita Falls,
Archer City, Holliday, Lakeside City, Scotland, and Henrietta
342 AM CST Sun Jan 21 2024

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 PM THIS EVENING TO
NOON CST MONDAY...

* WHAT...Freezing rain expected. Total ice accumulations of one
tenth to two tenths of an inch. Winds gusting as high as 35
mph.

* WHERE...Portions of central, northern, northwest, southeast,
southern, southwest and western Oklahoma and northern Texas.

* WHEN...From 6 PM this evening to noon CST Monday.

* IMPACTS...Difficult travel conditions are possible. The
hazardous conditions could impact the evening commute Sunday and
morning commute Monday.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling. Prepare for possible
power outages.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MsDaisy 2
Occupation: Retired Medic and a Grandma (AKA Moppie) until I die
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by MsDaisy 2 »

It’s up to 28° F here in VA. -2.22222 C and the sun is shining but it's pretty damn cold and blowy out there. "You can hear the Hawkins blow" as my mama use to say when those big winds whipped by.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://wapo.st/3vRzvFu
An extremely localized but intense band of lake-effect snow slammed northeast Illinois and northwest Indiana on Friday, dropping nearly three feet of snow in a narrow swath only a few miles wide. Travel was halted as roadways became buried, with near whiteout conditions. But there was something a little special with this particular snow band — it was made up of more than a dozen wintry whirlwinds.

These whirlwinds are known as mesovortexes (spelled mesovortices in academic literature). They are small eddies about 10 or 20 miles wide and akin to tiny low pressure systems. Each one locally intensified snowfall and was separated by a small moat or cutoff.

On radar and satellite imagery, the conga line of snow showers traced repeated loop-de-loops. When they appeared, meteorologists and weather enthusiasts expressed their amazement on X, formerly Twitter:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Suranis

Weather Alerts

Post by Suranis »

Not sure if this is a weather event or where this would go.
Now that I’ve heard everyone from this event is ok I’m finally posting the video. Roi Namur island was hit hard by several huge waves Saturday night. It was NOT a tsunami as many other sites that stole my video are saying. No other islands were affected. It was a combination of wind, tides and swell direction. It also was right after low tide at a 1.2ft tide so could have been worse. Very very thankful no one was seriously injured. Thank you to all friends and family who reached out. Please share this video instead of those opportunistic ripoffs out there now #kwajalein #roiisland#roinamur

https://abcnews.go.com/International/ex ... =106598347
A series of extreme waves that wreaked havoc on a U.S. military base in the Marshall Islands could be indicative of more dangerous coastal behavior in the future, according to experts.

Flooding from the waves inundated one-third of the island of Roi-Namor, located in the Kwajalein Atoll in the northern Marshall Islands, according to the U.S. Army. The U.S. Army Garrison-Kwajalein Atoll base serves as a space and missile defense test range for the U.S. Department of Defense and contains some of the Army's most sophisticated tracking equipment.
MORE: System continues to bring rough surf to California

The waves did serious damage to several locations on the island, according to the U.S. Army. Ocean water had washed over the northwest side of the island. Standing water was found in several buildings on the base, such as the dining facility, the chapel and a theater, the Army said, citing an initial aerial damage assessment.

Joe Sienkiewicz, chief of the ocean applications branch for for NOAA’s Ocean Prediction Center, said this extreme wave was "much larger" than the average size of the waves hitting the island's shores.

"If there are multiple wave sets, then it's possible that the energy can just double in an area from two different sets of waves," Sienkiewicz told ABC News.
PHOTO: This still from a video shows the moment a wave ripped through a restaurant on Marshall Island, Jan. 21, 2024.
This still from a video shows the moment a wave ripped through a restaurant on Marshall Island, Jan. 21, 2024.
Erik Hanson

With extreme waves, the height of a particular wave could be twice as high as other waves in the background, Sienkiewicz said.

It appears that multiple waves caused the damage to the island.
Hic sunt dracones
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

"Keep the doors closed! Keep the doors closed! "

Please apply for surplus bunker doors at the nearest Montana rocket silo site :twisted:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

:eek:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

One year after the last major update on the Oroville dam. Cause it's the time of Californias wet weather deluges

John Thomas8

Weather Alerts

Post by John Thomas8 »

Here's hoping all the Californians here stay safe,

Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

From looking at my FB feed, parts of Arizona are getting snow. Flagstaff, Prescott and I think Tombstone too.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

I saw a photo of Flagstaff yesterday. Yep, lots of snow. I'm trying to work out a train trip to get out there while's there still lots of snow to see in the mountains. One of the problems is that they have cancelled trains.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Forty inches in Flagstaff, I heard from a friend. Crazy. We've gotten a lot of rain here down in the valley, pool is near overflowing.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

It's getting dark, too dark to see

Melbourne has been enjoying 100f weather for the last couple of days. Today, about 2:30pm the predicted thundrstorm hit. Horizontal rain from south west. Wind never comes from the southwest here. I could not see my back fence from my office window which is maybe 15 yards away. Temperature dropped about 20 degrees in about 2 minutes.

As I stared out the winow I realized I should shutdown the computer. As I turned to do that the power failed. 10 minutes later we get a text from the power company that it should be restored by 9:30 - 6 hours.

SWMBO's phone is almost out of gas but she managed to get the ABC report that says lightening has started several fires and towns are being evacuated, 4 major transmission towers were flattened, and the major power station was knocked off production.

Its getting dark and we only have a bazillion tea light candles from Ikea.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Oh my!!!
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Welcome to Arkansas in the spring!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:31 am Welcome to Arkansas in the spring!
Just thinking something similar...
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

We had a weather alert day today for that storm coming up the coast. We got nothing. Eastern PA got hit badly, but it's dry and sunny here, although the temps have really dropped.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

Friends in Flagstaff, two hours north of Phoenix, report getting four feet of snow in the last week. Top fifteen snowstorms of all time there.
https://azdailysun.com/news/local/flags ... 0b8e.html/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
keith

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

Senior year in high school Flagstaff had the highest accumulation of snow in the country. Not the greatest snowfall, that was Buffalo if I recall, but Flag's snow didn't melt between falls so it just kept accumulating.

Now we left Michigan when I was 5 or 6 or something and you know what snow is like for a kid like that. So I decided I needed to go to Northern Arizona University (which is in Flag) to live through a proper winter.

So there was a drought that year, we maybe got an inch of snow, and I don't even remember it being very cold.
keith

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

Oh, yeah.

Power company sent a text to prepare for a long outage - like maybe 2 days. We went to bed early thinking we might need to take the freezer contents to a friends place next day.

The house woke us up at 5:05am when it turned on.

Return to “General Stuff”