Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

I am NOT ready for any of that!

Our weather has been in the 60s and 70s over the first weeks of November. Going down into the 40s with the couple of inches of rain coming in the next day or two.

But then, we rarely get that much snow at once. :eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Yeah, the cold weather from that system moved into the Twin Cities this afternoon. It was an unseasonably 68° at 11am. I went out just before noon to run errands and by the time I got home at 1pm, it was 53°. :eek: It's now 32° with a wind chill of 21°. Looking at the weather forecast for the next week, it's not supposed to get above 32° for the next week. Dang, I wasn't ready for this! Well... it is November. In Minnesota.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Weather Alerts

Post by Frater I*I »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 9:51 pm Dang, I wasn't ready for this! Well... it is November. In Minnesota.
For one week when I lived in billings, MT, the wind chill took us to -60+, one night to -70, when walking home from work after I helped the dish crew catch up [I was the assistant manager at a suburban Godfather's Pizza], my hair was soaked, as I walked I froze and broke of in the wind...

The next day my hair style was, shall we say "interesting"...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Weather Alerts

Post by jez »

I remember days like that growing up in the Dakotas. The last winter I was there we had nighttime lows of -50 without the wind chill. I was working a night shift at the time and the team would take turns going out and starting cars every 30 minutes. There were about 20 of us on the team. Go out, start a couple of cars, let them run for a bit. Next person goes out, shuts those off starts a couple more cars, etc. They had not installed the outlets for the block heaters yet.

My car now wouldn't survive up there. No block heater. It would be a lump of metal for a few months out of the year.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Hurricane Nicole topples beachfront homes into ocean

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/hur ... into-ocean
Tropical Storm Nicole sent multiple homes toppling into the Atlantic Ocean on Thursday and threatened a row of high-rise condominiums in places where Hurricane Ian washed away the beach and destroyed seawalls only weeks ago.

“Multiple coastal homes in Wilbur-by-the-Sea have collapsed and several other properties are at imminent risk,” Volusia County Sheriff Mike Chitwood said in a social media message. He said most bridges to the beachside properties had been closed to all but essential personnel and a curfew was put into effect.

Wilbur-by-the-Sea is an unincorporated community on a barrier island with only beachfront homes. Next door in Daytona Beach Shores, a strip of high-rise condominiums were evacuated ahead of Nicole’s landfall, and while they remained standing after the storm, their future depends on safety reviews.

County manager George Recktenwald said during a news conference that officials assessing damage had already identified nearly a dozen compromised structures in Daytona Beach Shores and Wilbur-By-The-Sea, and they expect to find more.

“Structural damage along our coastline is unprecedented,” Recktenwald said. “We’ve never experienced anything like this before.”
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Phoenix520 »

Florida’s Republican politicians will stand at the ever-receding shoreline and watch the sand, and the houses, and the businesses slowly be claimed by the sea.

They will then blame Dems for 1) not telling them this would happen and 2) not fixing it before it affected them.
Lani

Weather Alerts

Post by Lani »

When I was looking for a condo in Honolulu, there were some great units. I always checked the map of what will be flooded or underwater in a few years to come. I'm in safe place. And I like my new neighborhood.

Waikiki is going to suck in the near future....

There was some lawsuits about homeowners on the seashores, building up rocks, concrete, etc. But it's on public land, so they can't do that.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Last day of 23° C (73° F) temperatures today, but it's mid-November, we were due for a stretch where it won't get up to 15° (59° F).

Not a fan of chilly weather, but I'll be outside today ... a lot. :thumbsup:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Phoenix520 »

This is my favorite time of year in SoCal. The winds blow the smog out so we have brilliant blue skies; mid-60s during the day and perfect sleeping weather (40s) all night.

The kitties are growing their wi ter coats. Grâce, who is 16, is a short haired tuxedo gal. In the winter she gets pretty fluffy and pretty. Coco is already a fluffball. She looks like cotton candy by February.

New kitty Caliban (name is not sticking) is just getting his adult Maine coon coat. He looks fuzzy all over.

Winter! I’m SO over the heat.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

First snow today! It's really coming down. We are supposed to get about four inches over the next three days, but even though it's going to stay cold, it's not supposed to stay on the ground. It was 70 degrees a week ago. :o

It looks like a winter wonderland out there at the moment, though. :daydreaming:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

We had an inch or two on the grass (pavement still too warm to accumulate) this morning, but it's all but gone now. I bought an electric snowblower last week (the sale I was waiting for finally hit) and assembled it this weekend just in case. My old gas blower didn't want to start two years ago and refused to start last year (probably fine with a little bit of TLC, but I want to move away from gas-powered tools anyway).
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Weather Alerts

Post by jez »

We had about an inch of snow a couple days ago. Big fluffy looking flake coming down.

Last year I bought a power shovel, which is pretty much a shovel sized snowblower. It can handle 6-8 inches of snow. Didn't get to use it last year, and it's still in the box. Snow is gone, ground is squishy, and it's fracking cold out. I miss Autumn.

ETA: Dad got about 20 inches of snow in the blizzard the other day.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

We had very light snow here in the Twin Cities yesterday which mostly melted. It's doing that again today and it's supposed to continue this week. Then, on the weekend, the overnight lows are supposed to get into the single digits. :shock:

My snowblower is all ready to go - the largest single stage snowblower that Toro makes, I updated the insulation in my attic four years ago, and I got a new furnace two years ago, so I'm almost all ready for winter. In the next few weeks my nephew will come up from Iowa with his pickup and help me get my snow tires to the dealership so they can be put on my vehicle and then I'm all ready for winter. Well, mostly. I'm not sure I'm psychologically ready, but winter comes whether I'm ready or not.

(But my heart is warmed by our re-elected Democratic governor now having a Democratic legislature to work with this upcoming year.)
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

The meaty urologists are predicting that at 7:15 a.m. mañana, when I must begin driving, it's going to be 33°F. :?

And Friday at the same time (which, I also have to be in the car then) it says 28°. :eek:

Probably have to wrap a warm winter coat around the engine block. :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Going down to 19 degrees here over the weekend. I got my fall and winter coats out last night. I have not needed one until now, the middle of November. The last time I was out late last week, it was 70 degrees.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/350 ... snow-storm
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- The Buffalo Bills' home game against the Cleveland Browns is being relocated to Detroit due to a winter storm with lake effect snow that is expected to hit western New York over the next couple of days.

The game remains scheduled for 1 p.m. ET.

The area is expected to get up to five feet of snow over the course of Thursday night through Saturday night, with thunder and other inclement conditions also expected.

The team said the decision to move the game from Highmark Stadium was done "in consultation with the Buffalo Bills and local and state authorities as the region prepares for the storm." The final decision came from the league office, but there has been communication with all parties involved.
:eek:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

And then the Bills play the Lions in Detroit the following week.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

I think by this evening there'll be enough accumulation in the driveway to try out the new battery operated snowblower I got at the beginning of last week. It uses the same batteries as my lawnmower, so I can ditch the gas-powered beast that needs to be serviced before it will start again. I may also get ask for an electric shovel for days with lighter snow when I just want to do the sidewalks, there's one that attaches to my weed whacker tool (again, same battery - it also has attachments for edging, brush cutting, etc.).
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:36 am Buffalo:

https://weather.com/photos/news/2022-11 ... o-new-york

:eek:
That's lake effect snow off Erie or cocaine. Unsure which.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

We ordered pizza. Being the thoughtful, considerate person that I am, I took the snowblower out for it's debut. It took so long for the pizza to get here, the snow is deeper now than before I cleared the driveway. :waiting:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

That snow will still be there in April. :eek:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

OK, here's the thing.

Its the middle of November. We usually turn the irrigation system on at the Croquet Club in September. But not this year. It has been raining for weeks, but in 5 minute squalls during the day and soaking rains during the evening. I don't think there has been 36 dry hours in a row for the last month. The croquet club lawn (and the corresponding water bill) loves it, that's fine.

But the squalls last just long enough to be irritating and to make the lawn at home too wet to cut - and I need 24 hours of dry to put weed killer on it. Today I came home to find the front yard covered in quarter inch hailstones and while we were unloading the car, another hail squall came through. Sheesh.

The club's irrigation system has been stuffed up for quite a while. One station had a bad solenoid coil and seemed fine after fixing it. Then it started to randomly come on without being told to, but with a very weak spray - so it's a bad diaphragm and the whole valve had to be replaced.

While the guys were fixing those problems, we had them check out aim and throw of all the other popups - one was going 360 degrees, I'm sure the neighbours and the street parkers would have loved that. And another station needed a new solenoid too.

Anyway, all up I spent about $1000 of club money get the system up to scratch for summer. Like I said usually we would have had the system going 2 months ago but not this year.

And I really don't see a dry spell in the near future. I do like that we won't have a big water bills this quarter, but that has pretty much been offset by the repair bill. We had better need that system one of these days or the club is gonna kill me for spending that money.
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “General Stuff”