Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Lani

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Lani »

I've been reading about the horrible flooding. I taught at Southern Cross University in Lismore and lived on the coast not far from Mullumbimby.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It looks like we are in for a March snowstorm over the weekend. Maybe about 3-6 inches, but the 6 inches should be in the mountains. Monday it will be 55 degrees, and the snow will soon be a memory. :thumbs-up:

Short term, though, it sounds like it could be a mess.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

The storm delivered. Here, we got closer to the six inches.* I looked out before I went to bed last night and what had been just wet a little while before had at least half an inch. It was coming down quickly and hard. It's a winter wonderland out there right now. I think it's about over here, moving towards Hagerstown, Maryland. :biggrin:

Today is the day of the St. Patrick's Day Parade in Pittsburgh It's one of the biggest in the country, usually draws about 350,000 people downtown. The snow and below-freezing temperatures will not put a dent in that number. They held the parade in '93 when we had two feet of snow the day before, one of our largest snowfalls ever.

The good thing: in a few days, it will be a distant memory. We will have flood warnings back again, though.

*Edited to add: We got eight inches, which I think is the largest snowfall all winter.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

This is cool. Watch to the end.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Cool!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:33 pmCool!
Cool but also deadly dangerous. While a normal or wet snow avalanche crushes bones and presses a person under its weight the dusty snow particles lead to suffocation even further off from the main path of the falling snow.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

RTH10260 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:09 pm
Cool but also deadly dangerous. While a normal or wet snow avalanche crushes bones and presses a person under its weight the dusty snow particles lead to suffocation even further off from the main path of the falling snow.
Whoa! I wasn't aware of that. Not quite so cool!
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:45 pm
RTH10260 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:09 pm
Whoa! I wasn't aware of that. Not quite so cool!
*Can* lead to suffocation - the remedy when caught near the path of a dust avalanche is to pull the jacket over ones head and breath filtered air from within.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:eek:

jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

If anyone hears from BB, please let us know. :eek: :pray:
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Yikes!

Image Image Image Image
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

more below
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I've never seen a tornado, but I'm guessing that standing at a window or outside taking that video wasn't very smart.

When we lived in Michigan, a huge tornado hit Pontiac. We lived in Warren, so not real close, but I will never forget the color of the sky during it. I've never seen a sky like it since.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

jez wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:52 pm If anyone hears from BB, please let us know. :eek: :pray:
She's on the North Shore and the closest any of the four came to her was Bayou Lacombe I think. Maybe 5-10 miles from her.

The tornado hit the same area that got slammed so hard by Katrina and there are hundreds of people still in questionable housing in the Lower Ninth and Arabi area.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:16 am I've never seen a tornado, but I'm guessing that standing at a window or outside taking that video wasn't very smart.

When we lived in Michigan, a huge tornado hit Pontiac. We lived in Warren, so not real close, but I will never forget the color of the sky during it. I've never seen a sky like it since.
The air turns greenish and then orange. Very weird, but the sound is even worse. We lost a 60' tree in the backyard that fell towards the house (no damage to the house, but the top of the tree spanned the entire width of the back of our house) and we never knew it was down until we saw it had completely covered the french doors and windows in the back. The wind and whining was louder than the big ass tree falling.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Just saw her post on facebook. I had forgotten she had moved from the loft. I'm glad she is okay.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image Image Image Image
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Just catching up on this.
:eek:
Best wishes for the New Orleans area! :pray:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The air turns greenish and then orange. Very weird, but the sound is even worse.
The one tornado I’ve been through, the air turned yellow and then all the birds stopped chirping and there was dead silence, like a vacuum. It blew down the main drag less than 1/2 mile from us but we had no damage.

All the sound came back at once after it passed us. It was the weirdest damn thing.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

We're dead-center in the purple. 11 tornadoes touched down last week when the last round of weather came through

eta: Just saw an update from the NWS and there were 27 tornadoes on the 22nd, not 11
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Just get your sharpie out. (seriously, tho, take care.) :bighug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

Ugh, central North Carolina has gone sub-30 degrees over night 3 of the past 4 days. In April. This hasn't happened since we've been here, summer of 1992.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Really weird weather today. It went down to somewhere around freezing this morning. We didn't get the snow they were calling for, although farther north they did, but we had a really hard rain. This afternoon, it's going to hit 70 degrees. Another 70-degree day tomorrow, then heading down again with snow again tomorrow night. So I guess March did come in like a lamb and is going out like a lion. We also had more than 17 inches of snow in March, which I don't mind. Here today, gone tomorrow.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

CD sirens just activated and MEMA is transmitting on the police dispatch primary channel. 2 tornadoes just coming into the south city limits.

eta: before I could finish typing that, confirmed funnel cloud on the interstate heading our way. Maybe 5 miles from here. Second forming now.

Return to “General Stuff”