Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Today was my first time driving since Ian. I didn't need anything but I wanted see how the recovery was coming along.

Good news: My local Pubix, Walmart, and Bravo Supermarket are open. (everything was closed yesterday)

Bad news: Power is still out for the vast majority in my area, but I saw many, many power company trucks/crews working.

This is going to take awhile -- but, understandable.

/BITCHING MODE ON:
Many Floridians never took drivers-ed or they just don't care. So many intersection have traffic signals with no power. (yes -- means 4-way stop just as if there were stop-signs). Some people just don't give a damn. I really didn't like my self-tour because I felt unsafe and had to pay close attention. Florida drivers are the WORST! (It is the reason I will not ride my bicycle on the roadway bike lanes).
//END BITCHING MODE

Too Also, there is a 6pm curfew still in effect.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Amazingly devastating.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:shock: :o :eek:

CRAZY!

ps. next time hang the camera a foot higher!
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:01 pm Amazingly devastating.
https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/stat ... 1525497856
In the comments, when asked, persons were saying "Fort Myers, FL"

It's Fort Myers Beach, which is a completely separate city and government on an island. Nothing to do with Fort Myers. It's not a beach in Fort Myers as the city name makes it sound.

You could not pay me to buy property on that island.

... carry on
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:46 pm

It's Fort Myers Beach, which is a completely separate city and government on an island. Nothing to do with Fort Myers. It's not a beach in Fort Myers as the city name makes it sound.

... carry on
Any thoughts on whether ferries would make sense there?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:50 pm
Wait, what? That’s stupid even by RWNJ standards.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:crazy:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:50 pm
neonzx wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:46 pm

... carry on
Any thoughts on whether ferries would make sense there?
It's not very far from the mainland (Fort Myers) and is connected by a bridge that is short. Ferries would not make sense nor really practical. Parking is often a nightmare on the island during season. There is parking on the mainland side and then a trolley to take people over the bridge.

I have not been to FMB in probably 5 years. Most locals don't go there. It's ho-hum but tourists and snowbirds (and spring breakers) like it.
fortmyersbeach-esteroisland.png
fortmyersbeach-esteroisland.png (180.71 KiB) Viewed 458 times
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Thanks. I can see on that map, ferries would not be useful. I know little about the geography/topography of Florida, beyond it's really flat.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:57 pm
Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:50 pm
Pfffftttt! That’s ridiculous! :crazy: :crazy:

Everyone knows the deep state sent Ian as punishment for DeSantis’ Martha’s Vineyard stunt.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

I want to say something. Yeah, there are a lot of assholes who stay during a hurricane. But many people don't have the money, gas, money or resources to evacuate. Most shelters do not accept pets. I'd someone needs medical care daily but are not in hospital you are on your own. I was in that position six years ago and had to drag my paraplegic son and our dog to spend two days in a car park on the sixth floor. I had gas, barely. I had no cash because the bank was closed and my check hadn't cleared.

Don't judge .
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:39 pm I want to say something. Yeah, there are a lot of assholes who stay during a hurricane. But many people don't have the money, gas, money or resources to evacuate. Most shelters do not accept pets. I'd someone needs medical care daily but are not in hospital you are on your own. I was in that position six years ago and had to drag my paraplegic son and our dog to spend two days in a car park on the sixth floor. I had gas, barely. I had no cash because the bank was closed and my check hadn't cleared.

Don't judge .
If they are on the barrier islands, THEY HAVE MONEY. MORE THAN ME. That ain't cheap to own or rent there, be it Fort Myers Beach, Sanibel, Captiva, Marco Island, etc.

My criticism is of those island dwellers who chose to stay when they had the $$ means to evac. And then we have to consume valuable resources to go rescue them -- at tax payer expense.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Is that a barrier island? I wouldn't build on a barrier island...
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

jemcanada2 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:11 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:57 pm
Pfffftttt! That’s ridiculous! :crazy: :crazy:

Everyone knows the deep state sent Ian as punishment for DeSantis’ Martha’s Vineyard stunt.
Who pinched the keys to the Tardis and went to activate the HAARP machinery?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:09 pm Thanks. I can see on that map, ferries would not be useful. I know little about the geography/topography of Florida, beyond it's really flat.
It's not just the topography that makes it useless, it's all the unknown crap in the water. Chiquita trailers full of bananas were flung over 1/2 mile out into the Gulf during Katrina. They found them for several years after the storm. All those roofs and vehicles have to go somewhere.

We saw an F-150 suspended about 20' up in a tree in Bay St Louis. No visible damage to truck or tree. It stayed there until the tree limbs rotted enough that the truck finally fell. Very surreal.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Our CBS affiliate (WINK) is back on the air -- kinda -- as of yesterday afternoon. Their office/broadcast facility was breached by storm surge and they had been off the air since then.

They are now broadcasting from a tower location. This newsroom set doesn't as good as the real one.

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
On that whacko post about Lauren Witzke, I love the chryon at the bottom:

Biden Builds Transhuman Cyborg Army Using Immigrants!

That is totally cool, man! I told you he was a great president! Think of the possibilities, whoa!

We could send those guys to fight in Ukraine! :boxing:

:cheer2:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Aren't the transgenders transhumans needed to fight the Chinese army that is hiding in the Mexican deserts :?:

Just asking for a friend... :twisted:
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

Spent most of yesterday tracking the Cape Coral news and taking notes on what's happening on Pine Island, which, like Sanibel, is cut off from the mainland now.

NB Sanibel is a barrier island. Pine Island is a barrier island. And I agree with PG.

Slim asked me to let y'all know she is okay. Her house is okay. Just, as is the case throughout Cape Coral, no electricity or water and very little cell reception. Electric is likely to be out for a couple of weeks, minimum. Water, one week (that info is actually from me). She and hubs went to a HOme Depot at the crack of dawn and got supplies.

NOAA has a hurricane imaging program I knew nothing about. They were all over Sanibel, Pine Island and Matlacha yesterday, and got the pix up by midnight so that all the absent homeowners can see if they still have 1) houses 2) roofs. So I was finally able to see that I have 1) a house (trailer) 2) a roof. I just this minute heard from my friend/neighbor/airbnb manager. She is beyond stressed, but okay (though her roof was damaged). She is going to go over to my place and give an on-site report.

Other friends not so lucky--the eastern end of Matlacha took it in the neck. Matchsticks.

More later.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I'm seeing quite a few Florida license plates on the roads here.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/ ... 022-09-30/

WASHINGTON, Sept 30 (Reuters) - Cuba's government has made a rare request for emergency assistance from the administration of U.S. President Joe Biden after Hurricane Ian knocked out power to the whole island of 11 million people, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday.

Hurricane Ian tore through the island nation on Tuesday, causing an country-wide blackouts, flattening homes and destroying agricultural fields. Cubans have staged protests against the government over the power loss, which heightened concerns over ongoing food, fuel and medicine shortages.

Washington has assessed that Cuban authorities would place priorities on hospitals, water pumping facilities, sanitation and other critical infrastructure if the Biden administration were to provide aid, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing a review of email communications.

The State Department did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the report, nor did Cuba's embassy in Washington.

Return to “General Stuff”