Weather Alerts

AndyinPA
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

We slid down the mountain from Timberline Lodge in June one year, in a snow storm. I get it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

bill_g wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:46 pm WADOT closed SR14 from Washougal to White Salmon to clear the tunnels which are many. It's a great road along the Columbia River in the Summer if you've got the time. Very picturesque, winding, and windy, with lots of narrow low ceiling tunnels. Don't forget the land slides and falling rocks with resulting battle scarred roadway to test your suspension. An absolute joy to drive with good brakes and tires. Not so much with a manual transmission.

[img]https:// scontent.fhio2-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t39.30808-6/270127873_277155667732407_6971423644933347866_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=_r2RIhrUp94AX_3uV3m&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-2.fna&oh=00_AT9KO6dwPqJZRoV0WbhCoLWqvRGeFTmU9fiJSDECrpCtbQ&oe=61D7B6B4[/img]
I love that drive, as well as I84 on the Oregon side. The Gorge is one of my favorite road trips. Probably easier to Google how the Gorge was formed after a huge ice flow cut through the Cascade Range, than me trying to explain it, but it's amazing to see what the changes are, from all those waterfalls created so the snow melt to go. And the wind that comes howling from east through the gap and wreaking troubles for winter drivers, but heaven to the windsurfers. Always be careful when opening one's car door so the wind doesn't blow it open into another vehicle :bag:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We came down the Columbia Gorge on the way back from our honeymoon. We’d been lucky everywhere else, playing it by ear and getting a motel room just by asking but there was some big deal race that weekend and we couldn’t find anyplace for 100 miles.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

Highways 26 and 35 were also closed this afternoon. For non locals that is the pass over the Cascades where one could get around the Gorge closure. I thought about going skiing today but decided NOPE cuz the snow was too sloppy. Glad I made that decision cuz I might still be up there. I looked at the traffic cams a few hours ago and it looked like they were letting folks off the mountain even though the roads were officially closed.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:49 pm I love that drive, as well as I84 on the Oregon side. The Gorge is one of my favorite road trips. Probably easier to Google how the Gorge was formed after a huge ice flow cut through the Cascade Range, than me trying to explain it, but it's amazing to see what the changes are, from all those waterfalls created so the snow melt to go. And the wind that comes howling from east through the gap and wreaking troubles for winter drivers, but heaven to the windsurfers. Always be careful when opening one's car door so the wind doesn't blow it open into another vehicle :bag:
I love the SR14 drive as well ... if you can keep the locals off your tail. They have refined their skills, and can maximize their speed like a seasoned Lemans driver. Except this isn't Lemans. It's just a curvy road that follows every undulation and rivulet of the Gorge.

And yes - The Wind is a being unto itself, and it's mood is easy to decipher. It is seldom absolutely still. It loves to move. It can be a prankster and knock over your drink. Or it can be a thief and steal your hat. It can gallop and give you wonderful gas mileage going West, or terrible mileage going East. It strips the hills of trees forcing them to cloister in the crevasses, and it glazes the road in winter making passage impossible. It will seek out every loose item tossing it about like a tumbleweed. But, it also cleanses the air refreshing it almost instantly. Scents from forests that aren't around here can be smelled, and then lost.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Youngkin’s baptism by snow. Looks like he’s failing.

ETA :oopsy: He hasn’t been sworn in yet. This is on Northam’s watch.
filly

Post by filly »

So, my OCD husband is obsessed with following the weather. These motorists would have been well advised to do that. Mr. Filly likes to say PTFA.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Sometimes OCD can work to your advantage.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

filly wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:47 pm So, my OCD husband is obsessed with following the weather. These motorists would have been well advised to do that. Mr. Filly likes to say PTFA.
Hidden Content
Yes, I find OCD to be a wonderful tool somedays.
101010 :towel:
filly

Post by filly »

northland10 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:04 pm
filly wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:47 pm So, my OCD husband is obsessed with following the weather. These motorists would have been well advised to do that. Mr. Filly likes to say PTFA.
Hidden Content
Yes, I find OCD to be a wonderful tool somedays.
Especially when you live in the Tip of the Mitt and Houston!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The New York Times
@nytimes
·
2h
Senator Tim Kaine was among the drivers stranded for more than 12 hours after a winter storm shut down parts of Interstate 95, one of the busiest travel corridors in the U.S. "This has been a miserable experience," Kaine told WTOP, a radio station.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I only half listened, but Kaine was just on CNN a short while ago talking about his experience. What a mess, and a nightmare for all.

Have to say, though, if this was Seattle area, everyone would have left their cars on the side of the road (or as close to the side of the road they could get) and walked away. It has happened around here :)

The weather guys are getting pretty good at predicting snow, I heed their warnings.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

So where’s the DOT? In Florida with the de Santis family?
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

We’re snowed in with a foot or more, no power or water but the gas cook top works so we’re melting snow for water and hauling in firewood so we’re good. It’s really quite picturesque. Patrick had to take the tractor down the road to pull a neighbor out and also pulled a lady out of the ditch on the way back. It’s a real mess out here in the boondocks.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

In the trunk of my car I have an emergency kit. It includes a few bottles of water, aluminum shovel, snacks, and a blanket that plugs in to the cars lighter outlet and can warm you up.

It stays there all the time, no matter the season. I switch out the water and snacks on occasion. I guess I lived in NoDak for too many years.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I remember a blizzard in the early 70s out in Loudon County. Wind was the worst culprit for us then, blowing 23’ drifts across roads, against houses - our first floor windows were completely covered. We got our snow for melting out the 2nd floor windows.

After three days, they were airlifting our neighbors out with helicopters. Brutal.

Enjoy your views, Daisy!
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Phoenix520 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:23 am Youngkin’s baptism by snow. Looks like he’s failing.

ETA :oopsy: He hasn’t been sworn in yet. This is on Northam’s watch.
There isn’t a universe in which I would get on any part of I-95 in Virginia on purpose, even in the best weather. I broke my own rule with W4 and we sat in traffic around Fredericksburg until I was finally able to get off.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:34 pm

The weather guys are getting pretty good at predicting snow, I heed their warnings.
I don't know, so far they've been striking out every day this week. It was supposed to rain, which would help melt the snow. Didn't happen. What we have up here now is crunchy snow on top, then wet snow, and compressed snow aka 'ice' on the bottom. I had to go to Hobart this morning to feed horses for a client, and the road to her place was solid ice.

At this point, I'd just like to have cloudy skies and temps high enough to melt the snow, and for the temps to really not get below freezing so we don't ice up overnight.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:20 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:34 pm

I don't know, so far they've been striking out every day this week. It was supposed to rain, which would help melt the snow. Didn't happen. What we have up here now is crunchy snow on top, then wet snow, and compressed snow aka 'ice' on the bottom. I had to go to Hobart this morning to feed horses for a client, and the road to her place was solid ice.

At this point, I'd just like to have cloudy skies and temps high enough to melt the snow, and for the temps to really not get below freezing so we don't ice up overnight.
They've been spot on for my forecasts, and thankfully above freezing at night *fingers crossed*
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I think it was on Deadline White House that they said there were a lot of accidents that tied up the road and that it had rained before the snow and then froze so that people couldn't walk out as it was too icy and dangerous.

I've only been on I-95 once or twice. That was enough. I feel the same way about I-5.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:37 pm

They've been spot on for my forecasts, and thankfully above freezing at night *fingers crossed*
You've been fortunate! This is my driveway, taken around 4.30 pm today. The dark areas are all ice.
Driveway Jan 4 2022.jpg
Driveway Jan 4 2022.jpg (94.46 KiB) Viewed 386 times
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Gosh, if only some company could develop a weather app that would pop up alert notifications on these smart phones in advance of severe weather. Oh wait, we have those apps. :roll:

It's their own damn fault they got stranded.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

The condo parking area is still slushy/icy, but melting slowly. Even my never plowed/treated side road is pretty much clear
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Dana Perino says the I-95 traffic jam happened because the left won't let cops have "military-grade equipment"

:roll:
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams

Return to “General Stuff”