Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:01 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:47 am Well this is a first. Tornado warning. My husband, the cat and I are hunkered down in our basement. We can see the lightning hear the hail, rain and thunder. It’s pretty intense.

The worst of it should clear out of here soon. Still have power, so that’s good.

ETA: My house is in the red circle

6E8B3829-EDD6-489E-BCCD-881096311C69.jpeg
We had our first, as far as I can remember, tornado warning a month or two ago. You have to get them from TV or a weather app because there are no tornado sirens anywhere around here.
My phone went off after midnight with the same tone as an amber alert. We got out of bed, put Stormy in her carrier, grabbed some drinks and headed to the basement. I was able to watch the storm head over the top of us. Don’t know whether a tornado actually touched down, but the storm was intense. Even when we got the all-clear, the sky was white with lightning at times.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Amber alert is what the sound was for us, too. There were tornadoes that touched down pretty close to us, but we had no damage. This is definitely new for us, and I expect that we will have more of it.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

We lived a half a block from a train track in South Arkansas last century. A tornado warning was issued. Our house had no basement so we went to "the smallest windowless room in the house". I asked Hubby how we were going to tell if a tornado was heading for us. He said, " It sounds like a train." I looked at him...then he got it. No tornado and no train during the warning.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

tornado sirens going off.

no wind yet. dead calm.

1-1/2” hail reported
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:09 pm tornado sirens going off.

no wind yet. dead calm.

1-1/2” hail reported
I watched that storm track south of me. The base velocity radar near Bellwood was quite something (you can get a sense of possible rotation with that type of view). That is the system that entered Chicago. Pardon me for incorrect use of weather tech words. I'm a hack.

Here is an article with photos of the damage, including said Bellwood along with videos of sirens going off in Chicago.

And another video near Wrigley.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

At 7 a.m. it is a very nice 79° outside, going up to 98° as the yellow ball of fire crosses the sky. I am going up a ladder to adjust a few displaced gutter guards around the château. I have 6 pages of unread posts, my life is too bizzy.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

That storm came through with a vengeance. I heard the rumbling in the distance and it quickly got closer. One lightning alert read lightning hit 0 miles from me. It fried the router box and cable system. No TV. I’m on the phone. It also fried my new washer. Whether it’s fixable or not, don’t know yet. It’s definitely not useable. :crying:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

We had wind, heavy rain, thunder, lightening. Lights flickered a bit, but stayed on. Tree fell down and took out a portion of the chainlink fence. I think just the cross bar will need to be replaced.

Now to find someone to remove the tree without costing a ton of money.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Oh, hell. Air conditioner gone, too. Going to 90 degrees. ☹️

Everything that’s gone is on the same side of the house. I can’t believe the trees are all there. 🥺
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

:bighug: :bighug:
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:o just wondering about your electrical wiring standards. In my corner of the Old Continent houses are equpipped with lightening protection wirings on the roof that will channel the highvoltage down to earth. Also too the mains electrical feed into the house is fitted with surge charge protection to earth. Same with phone lines that are exposed (most is underground).
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

RTH10260 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:01 pm :o just wondering about your electrical wiring standards. In my corner of the Old Continent houses are equpipped with lightening protection wirings on the roof that will channel the highvoltage down to earth. Also too the mains electrical feed into the house is fitted with surge charge protection to earth. Same with phone lines that are exposed (most is underground).
Two things: first, housing density in much of America is far lower than it is in Europe, so burying electrical wiring is often prohibitively expensive versus Europe, where village and city populations are much more densely packed. Also, ownership of electrical utilities by government is a small percentage of the total -- about 75% of utilities in the US are investor owned. They're not likely to pay the extra money for underground utilities in suburban areas. When utilities were state-owned in much of Europe, they were able to use burying of electrical cabling as a job creation mechanism until they started privatizing utilities 30-40 years ago. So there was a significant social benefit that would not happen in the US.

Second, the US grid does have protection mechanisms for lightning. However, lightning strikes on power grid or on buildings might not even be the biggest problem. One issue that surprises a lot of people is the degree to which people let trees grow near utility lines, to keep their neighborhood looking "natural." In my old neighborhood about 100 km northeast of New York City, every time a significant storm came through, trees would drop branches which would arc across the wires and cause short circuits that exceeded the capability of breakers to protect them. They would also bring wires down.

One benefit to the US system, which comes at the expense of some reliability, is cheaper electricity versus many other places in the world. The average US cost is $0.16 per kilowatt hour. I can't find data quickly for Switzerland, but one source I trust (Statista) says Germany is $0.36 in 2021 and I would assume Switzerland is comparable.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We have underground wiring here. The house is protected from lightning. We never lost electricity. For some reason, things on just the one corner of the house got hit. Cable people coming out tomorrow. Maytag not coming until Monday. Don’t know yet when AC people can come. The landline phone is shot. But it did occur to me to call our insurance company. We are covered. We’re holding off on a claim until we know if washer and AC unit can be fixed.

I was mostly taking all this in stride until the insurance agent mentioned how hard it is to replace or get parts right now because of supply problems. :cantlook: :crying:

The next few days will be the hottest of the year, but only for a few days.
miss meh

Post by miss meh »

Chilidog wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:09 pm tornado sirens going off.

no wind yet. dead calm.

1-1/2” hail reported
I work in Schaumburg & my shift ends at 6 so just as the storm was starting yesterday. Stopped to pee on my floor (up high) but the cleaning lady had her rolling cart in front of the ladies room door while mopping so i had to wait til she finished.

That literally might have saved my life b/c they said today that a tornado -- albeit an F0 -- did pass just south of where I work at the height of the storm which would have been on my way home if I had left on time. By the time I got downstairs the emergency alert in our building was sounding so I ended up hanging out in the main floor lobby elevator bay til the worst of storm had passed & am extremely grateful I wasnt driving thru it.

But oh yes, there were folks in our 2-story all-glass main lobby/entrance that were standing right in front of the windows filming with their cell phones. Am very surprised none of the windows blew out in the wind, the noise was awful.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Years ago when I lived in Appalachia I took my neighbor to the dinky regional airport, just ahead of a storm. They took off safely. I waited until they were out of sight just to make sure. By the time I opened the door of the single, all-glass terminal the wind was hurricane strength. I opened the door, the wind whipped it out of my hand, ripped it from the hinges and hurled it through the biggest window. :oopsy:

Needless to say they had to close the airport. I was totally freaked but no one got hurt seriously, and they all wanted to go home anyway.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Glad you're okay, miss meh!
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hi, miss meh!

520-
Jeebus! You have some close call adventures! :shock:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
miss meh

Post by miss meh »

Thanks to all who responded, I grew up in the area & never sawa storm like that in my life
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-16/ ... /101152410

These women in southern Pakistan and millions like them around the world are at the searing edge of climate change.

Pregnant women exposed to heat for prolonged periods of time have a higher risk of suffering complications, an analysis of 70 studies conducted since the mid-1990s found.

For every 1C in temperature rise, the number of stillbirths and premature deliveries increases by about 5 per cent, according to the meta-analysis Global Consortium on Climate and Health Education at Columbia University, which was carried out by several research institutions globally and published in the British Medical Journal in September 2020.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

miss meh wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 3:00 pm Thanks to all who responded, I grew up in the area & never saw a storm like that in my life
I was looking down on y'all (from Lake County to the north), watching all my weather app toys (I am geeky with all the different radar toys), and hoping folks would be safe. What I was seeing on radial velocities for your storm was something. Today the heavy stuff is right now to the north. We may get some stuff late tonight but probably less than Monday.

The worst storm I remember here (I have seen worse in SW Michigan) was the derecho in July 2011. I was on the train in Highland Park when it hit. There were no tornados, and from my view on the waiting train, it was bad but not hideous. However, we ended up sitting for another hour as the tracks ahead were checked for downed trees (and I think one or two were removed) and something like 850,000 people lost power. Up in parts of Lake County, it was a week until they had power back. My place only lost it for maybe 20 minutes, according to the texts I got.
101010 :towel:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:

Return to “General Stuff”