Weather Alerts

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Here we are in the dead of Winter (50° outdoors, I might be a little bit of a baby), and you know what they never say?
  • Nobody ever says 'the dead of Spring'
  • Nobody ever says 'the dead of Summer'
  • Nobody ever says 'the dead of autumn/fall'

So now you see how horrible Winter is? :nope:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Thank you, that was really interesting.

Side note, I was excited to hear the words 'Bullard's Bar'. My husband's first ever Bald Eagle sighting took place at Bullard's Bar. He was out fishing on the Bar with his father when the eagle flew overhead.
humblescribe
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by humblescribe »

That was cool, RTH!

I think that the host should have shown a physical map of the Sacramento Valley to illustrate all the rivers and creeks and their headwaters that are tributary to the Sacramento. It would make it easier to grasp the short distances these rivers traverse before their confluences. Shasta is built at the confluence of the McCloud (further north) and Pit (northeast from Alturas) Rivers before they merge into the Sacramento.

Then there are all the tributaries of the Feather River (Yuba and Bear Rivers, primarily).

An awful lot of precipitation can fall in a comparatively small geographic area.

Well done!
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

So I see we have a "winter storm" this week. For the southern states getting it, I can understand the term storm but for my neck of the woods.
A​ccumulating snow is expected in an area that extends from northwest Texas and Oklahoma northeastward to the mid-Mississippi and Ohio valleys and southern Great Lakes. Snow totals in this corridor will be 1 to 5 inches. Localized totals of 5 to 8 inches are possible in locations that see the heaviest and most persistent snow.
While this year has been a total of nothing, in a normal year, 1 to 5 inches is a Tuesday. OMG we are getting snow in, January.
:panic:

Okay, I may still be relying on west Michigan measures of snow which are, to be fair, more than Illinois. Nearly 35+ years of Michigan snow has generally fixed my metrics for what I consider considerable snow.
101010 :towel:
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Weather Alerts

Post by Slarti the White »

northland10 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:51 pm So I see we have a "winter storm" this week. For the southern states getting it, I can understand the term storm but for my neck of the woods.
A​ccumulating snow is expected in an area that extends from northwest Texas and Oklahoma northeastward to the mid-Mississippi and Ohio valleys and southern Great Lakes. Snow totals in this corridor will be 1 to 5 inches. Localized totals of 5 to 8 inches are possible in locations that see the heaviest and most persistent snow.
While this year has been a total of nothing, in a normal year, 1 to 5 inches is a Tuesday. OMG we are getting snow in, January.
:panic:

Okay, I may still be relying on west Michigan measures of snow which are, to be fair, more than Illinois. Nearly 35+ years of Michigan snow has generally fixed my metrics for what I consider considerable snow.
Actually, I think 1 to 5 inches only qualifies as a Tuesday morning.
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

Y'all need to shuffle off to Buffalo, where that's an hour.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Yikes! That's what V is talking about in the Texoma thread.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:45 pm Y'all need to shuffle off to Buffalo, where that's an hour.
:lol: yep.

I grew up with the wildness of lake effect, but we had nothing on Buffalo.

Even normal snow gets odd by the lake shore. I remember when teaching, I lived in a city right on Lake Michigan (and a bay). The school district I taught did not include the city and village and assorted areas along the lake. Well, at five something AM, I would get a call on the phone tree that school was canceled due to snow (that usually only happened a couple of times a year). I would look out the window and wonder why. Where I was, we had a dusting, but one mile inland, it was dumping on them.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

We are about 130 miles from Lake Erie, at the bottom end of the lake effect snow. It almost magically ends at the Butler-Allegheny County line, north of the city. We are expecting snow overnight. We are maybe here in Allegheny County (pretty far south in it) expecting about an inch. North of the county line, they are getting 3-4. But going farther north, it's 4-6. That's always the way it is. South and east of us, where the mountains are, they will be getting even more.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Excited weather watchers have captured stunning images of rare “mother of pearl” clouds, which have formed high up in the atmosphere over Scotland.

Such clouds tend to develop in the extremely cold air above polar regions, but were spotted on Sunday evening and Monday morning by BBC weather watchers in Aberdeenshire, the Highlands and Moray.

Also known as nacreous or polar stratospheric clouds, the formations are some of the most beautiful to be found in the twilight sky. They gain their name from the iridescent pastel colours produced as the sunlight diffracts around the tiny ice crystals inside them.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/202 ... r-scotland
Lani

Weather Alerts

Post by Lani »

Heavy rain and thunderstorms in Hawaii. Started a few days ago and will continue through the week. Not bad on Oahu. We should have sun by late Monday. Unfortunately, it's worse on other islands, especially Molokai, Maui and Kauai. I got an email from my department earlier this afternoon to advise employees to go home earlier. (Doesn't effect me.) Molokai is such a mess (flooding, downed trees, damaged roads, etc.) that schools are closed for at least several days.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
northland10

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

Winter storm warning of the weekend which brought about 5-6 inches maybe (not my definition of a winter storm but whatever) and now it is 9 degrees.

Oh, winter, I remember you from past years. Little late, ain't ya.
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

My spouse is currently in Norman, OK for a 3 week class. It is bitterly cold there and it seems that there is already ice on the ground. A freezing rain storm will be rolling in tomorrow to add to the existing ice (he's thrilled to be there, I reminded him that at least he doesn't have to drive in it).

The worst part of the storm is going to hit Texas.

You know, the state which has its own extremely effective power plants?

Washington Post reminded readers that they should charge their electrical devices now, before the freezing rain takes out the power lines.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Azastan wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:32 pm My spouse is currently in Norman, OK for a 3 week class. It is bitterly cold there and it seems that there is already ice on the ground. A freezing rain storm will be rolling in tomorrow to add to the existing ice (he's thrilled to be there, I reminded him that at least he doesn't have to drive in it).

The worst part of the storm is going to hit Texas.

You know, the state which has its own extremely effective power plants?

Washington Post reminded readers that they should charge their electrical devices now, before the freezing rain takes out the power lines.
Our local NWS forecast office is Norman, OK. ;)

Ice on the ground- Yes, since this past morning.

Charging phones etc.- Oh yes. Done. :thumbsup:

Most of Texoma is already shut down thru Tuesday (at least).

Thaw will happen Thursday, a balmy 49F.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

January 31, and we have shoveled no snow yet. There's an inch out there now, but it will be 40 degrees on Thursday, so it won't need to be shoveled either. I cannot remember ever a winter at the end of January where this has happened.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:02 pm January 31, and we have shoveled no snow yet. There's an inch out there now, but it will be 40 degrees on Thursday, so it won't need to be shoveled either. I cannot remember ever a winter at the end of January where this has happened.
That's crazy! I have an old acquaintance up in your parts. I should ring him and see how he's doing. (Landscaper in warm months, plower in winter months).
tek

Weather Alerts

Post by tek »

Gonna be a bit chilly at the Undisclosed Secure Location later this week
Friday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around -8. Blustery, with a northwest wind 22 to 24 mph, with gusts as high as 36 mph.
Should be a good test of the heat pump systems we put in this summer.. Unfortunately, I won't be there if they don't hold up.. but I can watch remotely..
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

neonzx wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:22 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:02 pm January 31, and we have shoveled no snow yet. There's an inch out there now, but it will be 40 degrees on Thursday, so it won't need to be shoveled either. I cannot remember ever a winter at the end of January where this has happened.
That's crazy! I have an old acquaintance up in your parts. I should ring him and see how he's doing. (Landscaper in warm months, plower in winter months).
In the last three shoveling months, we have had about a foot of snow, but never more than an inch or two at a time with a quick warm up. We are ten inches behind what we should have had, but we have plenty of rain instead, so no shortage of precipitation.

If he's above the Butler County line or south of east heading into the mountains, he could have had more.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Six more weeks of winter. The Ground Hog has spoken.
neonzx

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:29 pm Six more weeks of winter. The Ground Hog has spoken.
It's 83 here. What is this "winter" you speak of?
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:49 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:29 pm Six more weeks of winter. The Ground Hog has spoken.
Come to Minnesota tonight. In the Twin Cities our temperatures will drop down to about -15° and the wind chill will be about -24°. :eek:
neonzx

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:56 pm
neonzx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:49 pm
Come to Minnesota tonight. In the Twin Cities our temperatures will drop down to about -15° and the wind chill will be about -24°. :eek:
No thanks. You can cuddle up with Mike Lindell in that claw machine and keep warm
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

neonzx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:57 pm No thanks. You can cuddle up with Mike Lindell in that claw machine and keep warm
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Return to “General Stuff”