Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Eg the airforce does not have surplus snowplows from clearing their runways? Or Afghanistan where the whole country including the invading US hunkered down over wintertime and did not clear roads...
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:brickwallsmall:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
tek

Post by tek »

Hey Dana: Give one example of a police department that got a surplus military-grade snowplow.

If it isn't good for Rambo cosplay, they aren't interested.

Seriously, even if they HAD military-grade snowplows, after not having been used for a decade or so they probably wouldn't even move.

Because municipalities don't have the budget for military-grade readiness maintenance. And the police department isn't gonna use a snowplow for their regular display of force.

But the rubes believe...
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

jez wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:51 pm In the trunk of my car I have an emergency kit. It includes a few bottles of water, aluminum shovel, snacks, and a blanket that plugs in to the cars lighter outlet and can warm you up.

It stays there all the time, no matter the season. I switch out the water and snacks on occasion. I guess I lived in NoDak for too many years.
Good plan.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Clear your vehicles of snow and ice please!

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

And vehicles/parts are in short supply.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

bill_g wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:14 pm Clear your vehicles of snow and ice please!

Because I'm a dude, I have a really big snow brush ;) . Well, it does make it easier to clear off the top of a Jeep Grand Cherokee (or my Ford Ranger before it). I am also a bit anal about clearing the vehicle so I want to be able to clear the top and the hood.

Some people wait until the last moment to leave and only do the bare bones clearing because of impatience (and laziness).
Edit: Obviously, my expectations are greater for people in colder climates like where I have lived. I do realize that experience and large brushes are probably limited in places down south and in the Pacific northwest.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:25 am Because I'm a dude, I have a really big snow brush.
I always said that about you. :towel:

We have snow brushes, (rubbing) alcohol/water spray bottles to remove ice, and salt for the driveway.

Now all we need is a storm. :nooo:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:25 am
Edit: Obviously, my expectations are greater for people in colder climates like where I have lived. I do realize that experience and large brushes are probably limited in places down south and in the Pacific northwest.
The limiting factor is more like 'not tall enough to even reach across the entire body of the car which leaves a strip of snow down the middle, never mind getting the top brushed off'.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Azastan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:45 am
northland10 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:25 am
The limiting factor is more like 'not tall enough to even reach across the entire body of the car which leaves a strip of snow down the middle, never mind getting the top brushed off'.
Hence why I have a long brush. It actually was able to telescope to something like 40-45 inches, ish, but that feature broke so I have to depend on 5'9" height to make up for a brush that is only like 30 inches.

Similar to this, in function.

101010 :towel:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Years ago I bought this brush/broom thingy that is rubber at the brush end with tips, it was sold as something good for picking up pet hair and other stuff. The only time I've used it was for getting snow off the roof of the car. Works great. Stores easily on a hook behind the closet door.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We are supposed to be getting our first snow of the winter tonight, starting 4-6 PM, ending about 1 AM for the most part. About an inch. You would think it was snowmageddon the way it's being covered. :yawn:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Rained hard overnight and this morning. One of the local roads that always floods is already closed. That's a main east/west arterial, so traffic snarls will ensue.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

northland10 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:22 am
Hence why I have a long brush. It actually was able to telescope to something like 40-45 inches, ish, but that feature broke so I have to depend on 5'9" height to make up for a brush that is only like 30 inches.

I am a whopping 15 hands high (equals 5 feet tall in human speak).
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

I feel like if you are going to drive on public roads, you have a responsibility to clear the snow off your vehicle. If that means procuring a long brush and a ladder, so be it. But don’t put other drivers in danger.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

After 4 long days the power and the water are finally back on. I just took a really hot shower and boy do I feel better! :cheer2:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:08 am I feel like if you are going to drive on public roads, you have a responsibility to clear the snow off your vehicle. If that means procuring a long brush and a ladder, so be it. But don’t put other drivers in danger.
It's a law in Pennsylvania.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

It totally sucks to drive behind a semi with snow on top of its trailer. It's like driving in a snow squall.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

That's about as lazy as it gets. :shock:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Sometimes when it was really cold and icy in college our old VW’s heater would conk out and the defogger would only work in a tiny area in the middle of the windshield. My dog and I would have head butt battles over who got to look out the tiny cleared spot.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

FB_IMG_1641496753260.jpg

Funny meme, but that's a Buckeyes blanket.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:08 am I feel like if you are going to drive on public roads, you have a responsibility to clear the snow off your vehicle. If that means procuring a long brush and a ladder, so be it. But don’t put other drivers in danger.
Fortunately, my husband is 18.2 hands, so he gets to do the snow removal from the vehicles.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

R.A.I.N. It's just pouring non stop.

Return to “General Stuff”