Weather Alerts

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

:o
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

My first tornado siren warning since I moved here. I'm down in the basement with the doogie. In the military, we would be chided with, "You know what this is called, Private? PPP!" 25 pushups. Well...

The dog and I are sharing a cold cement ledge on an old.ratty quilt in a dark basement where the lightbulb blew. No flashlight. No bottled water and I dont know where an outlet is to charge the phone.

Piss Poor Planning.

I'm sure thing will be fine, but.I will take care.of planning just as soon as I get the all clear. 🙄
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Dorothy and Toto. 💕
Stay safe
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

I'm in western Oregon, 100 miles south of Portland.

I spent $60 on popsicles and ice cream yesterday in preparation for this weekend. I have a window ac in the bedroom. That's it. :crying:
Attachments
IMG_26062021_011421_(900_x_900_pixel).jpg
IMG_26062021_011421_(900_x_900_pixel).jpg (79.23 KiB) Viewed 1862 times
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Oh man. LMK, I cant imagine. No kiddie pool?
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

LM K wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:28 am I'm in western Oregon, 100 miles south of Portland.

I spent $60 on popsicles and ice cream yesterday in preparation for this weekend. I have a window ac in the bedroom. That's it. :crying:
We have ceiling fans. No AC here. Currently 89 degrees F. Getting hotter, too!
slq

Post by slq »

I also have no AC here in Seattle, but 6 fans (not ceiling fans). So far, it feels cool in here at 81 degrees with all the fans running, despite the 87 degree outside temp. I'm also stocked up on cold drinks, ice cream, and salad. :thumbsup: I have a family member 30 minutes away who does have AC if it gets bad.
screenshot-www.google.com-2021.06.26-11_11_06.png
screenshot-www.google.com-2021.06.26-11_11_06.png (41.7 KiB) Viewed 1836 times
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try."
--Yoda
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:06 pm
LM K wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:28 am I'm in western Oregon, 100 miles south of Portland.

We have ceiling fans. No AC here. Currently 89 degrees F. Getting hotter, too!
Same here. When I replaced my blinds a couple of years ago, the sales rep sold me on the pleated blinds for the *hot* side of the condo. This weekend will be their first real test. Last time we went over 100 I was dripping in sweat and jumping in the shower every ten minutes.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I don't know about all Costco Business Centers, but the one in Fife has an awesome meat department that's kept so cold they offer jackets for customers when browsing there. Good cool down place :thumbsup:

Except they're closed on Sundays.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Thank goodness my sister in Seattle has a portable air conditioner! In the past she and her partner have moved to their finished basement during hot spells, so that's an option too. While finished basements are common in the Upper Midwest, I guess they're not as common in Seattle.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

89 now. Windows closed and blinds down. I had a cool shower to clean up after housework and fans going full steam. I'll know how bad it is when kitty flops on the vinyl flooring instead of the carpet :bighug:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

It's officially hawt. Kitteh flopped on the vinyl.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:09 pm It's officially hawt. Kitteh flopped on the vinyl.
I have flat cats all over the kitchen floor. The horses, being Arabians, are not quite as badly heat stressed as many horses around here are, but I have a lot of potted dahlias which are suffering. I have a circular driveway, with a heavily shaded 'island', so later this evening I will be moving all the potted plants there so that they don't get broiled to death. The dahlias which I've managed to plant get afternoon shade, so I think they will survive, but this is definitely hotter than they like.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

If I may… for those of you who don’t have AC, get a dehumidifier. It’ll put our a small amount of warm air, but the “feels like” air in your house will be much, much cooler because drier air doesn’t feel as hot. The small standalone units have tanks you have to empty (the water is pretty much distilled, so use it to water your plants).
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
zekeb
Occupation: Stable genius. One who tosses horseshit with a pitchfork and never misses the spreader.
Verified: ✅Of course

Post by zekeb »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:39 pm If I may… for those of you who don’t have AC, get a dehumidifier. It’ll put our a small amount of warm air, but the “feels like” air in your house will be much, much cooler because drier air doesn’t feel as hot. The small standalone units have tanks you have to empty (the water is pretty much distilled, so use it to water your plants).
It was dry heat when I lived in Oregon. 110 and no A/C felt like crap, no matter how you cut it. The one redeeming thing was that it cooled down after sunset. A window fan in the bedroom was a lifesaver.
Largo al factotum.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Maybenaut wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:39 pm If I may… for those of you who don’t have AC, get a dehumidifier. It’ll put our a small amount of warm air, but the “feels like” air in your house will be much, much cooler because drier air doesn’t feel as hot. The small standalone units have tanks you have to empty (the water is pretty much distilled, so use it to water your plants).
One reason why we are never prepared for this kind of heat is because it happens so rarely! But I do think your suggestion is a good one and I will see if I can find a dehumidifier to help. It's definitely more humid in the house than it is outside, so I think our heat index is more like 117 degrees F than the actual current 96 degrees F.

I have about 70 some dahlias which are potted and growing, but not yet in the ground, and have just moved all of them under my trees. There's going to be brutal losses for the dahlia farms here in WA and OR (which grow the majority of the dahlia tubers in the United States).
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

It's pretty humid in OR right now. Ugggg!

My mister just put bowls of water out for wildlife and stray cats.

Kitty is heat drunk. She seems to be enjoying the heat. She's sleeping on her blanket. :shock:
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Had a friend over for first in-house visit since Covid hit. Just as all of our electronics went crazy due to a tornado warning, my niece called. She was driving home from work when the sirens went off. Not only was our house closer, her apartment has windows in every room, so she was hoping she could shelter with us. So we all trooped down to the utility room in the basement and chatted for a couple of hours until the storm passed. Preliminary reports say 7 tornadoes touched down, but the storm wore itself out into merely a severe thunderstorm (lots of flooding, though) by the time it got to us. Afterwards, I grilled burgers for everyone and we hung out in the living room until 9.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

We live in PDX area but are currently out of town (thankfully). Don't have central AC but have AC in a couple of rooms. Had a friend turn on the AC in a bedroom and lock kitty in (kitty knows how to open doors so had her jury rig door so kitty can't get out). We have auto feeder/water thingy so kitty should have been OK except for the unexpected heat. Cat is an asshole and I expect damage when we return. Forecast for today was 106 - it got to 108. Tomorrow's forecast is 115 - record for highest temp in PDX since the 1860s or so was 107 last recorded in 1981.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

2am, it's 79 degrees. got all the windows open to let the *cool* air in.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:50 am 2am, it's 79 degrees. got all the windows open to let the *cool* air in.
It's currently a balmy 68 degrees at my place, at 6.19 am. My husband has parked George in the laundry room so that we can open the slider door and actually get some cooler air in here. George is one of those 'I gotta go out' cats, but he's no longer allowed out after having narrowly escaped being lunch for a bald eagle. So now he's desperate to go out and he will claw and claw at the screen on the slider to force his way out. Little bum.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

We have central AC. The house stayed fine at 74F. So Mrs wasn't heat stressed at all. Stepping outside slapped you in the face immediately. I got my chores done early and then proceeded to venture out through the day to get my steps in. I finished with 23061 steps, 11 miles, and a resting pulse rate of 65bpm.

Oddly, I was the only one walking around the neighborhood yesterday. Absolutely silent except for the occassional bird or squirrel. We had clear blue skies, but they were so thick with moisture I couldn't see a prop plane buzz overhead until he was down range where I saw a reflection. I could track him audibly, but couldn't see him.

Outside temp rose all day peaking at 106F just before dusk. I walked around with my handheld temp probe. The back porch was 95F under the roof, but the painted steps in the sun were 145F. The driveway concrete ranged from 140-160F. The asphalt street as +160F. My black truck had a 200F hood with 165F interior. My wife's maroon Toyota was 145/135F, and my white truck was 135/125F. Ouch.

It did not cool down much after dark though it picked up a light wind from the east. It was still 90F and muggy at 1030pm. The air clung to you. Even my pants were wet from sweat. I went through 1L of water, another of diluted cranberry juice, and another of a sangria I made from fresh berries (blue, black, rasp, and straw) and chilled cab (five buck Chuck from Safeway). Yummy stuff if you like the "green" flavor of fresh berries not augmented with sugar, and thinned down with water until it's not a smoothie. Sadly, with no neighbors around, I had to drink it myself. I tried to share though.

Today is supposed to get hotter. Good thing I made two bottles of that.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:29 am Outside temp rose all day peaking at 106F just before dusk. I walked around with my handheld temp probe. The back porch was 95F under the roof, but the painted steps in the sun were 145F. The driveway concrete ranged from 140-160F. The asphalt street as +160F. My black truck had a 200F hood with 165F interior. My wife's maroon Toyota was 145/135F, and my white truck was 135/125F. Ouch.

It did not cool down much after dark though it picked up a light wind from the east. It was still 90F and muggy at 1030pm. The air clung to you. Even my pants were wet from sweat.

Today is supposed to get hotter. Good thing I made two bottles of that.
Move to south Florida. We don't have such problems. 8-)
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Wow! I used to think that Texas got hot.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:twisted: how many of you are now regretting that some former impotus did not purchase Greenland for a summer residence :?:

:lol:

Return to “General Stuff”