Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Maybenaut »

We’re on the very edge of this storm and we’re getting slammed. I can’t imagine what it must be like for the folks in Stanley, Alma, and Kite’s Store. They’re only a few miles from here, but they’re in the thick of it, right on the Shenandoah River under flood warnings. The almost-Tornado we had last week washed out the road to the cabin in places. We did some grading to try to push the water off the sides, and this rain will tell us how successful we’ve been at that.
55564D45-5B84-4355-98D3-467C57303421.jpeg
55564D45-5B84-4355-98D3-467C57303421.jpeg (96.51 KiB) Viewed 885 times
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Good luck! :bighug:
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yeah, nasty storms blew through here, too. All I could think was it wouldn't be fair if we had problems from this one after the lightning strike last week. ;)
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

We’ve had a week of 90+ temps. Last night as we were having our dinner on the porch little, white, fluffy clouds appeared on the horizon.

This morning it RAINED with thunder and lightening! Floyd and I were snuggled at the bay window watching the birds when a loud crack of thunder boomed right over us. Floyd started… and fell off the chair :lol: :lol:
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

I lived in the Bay Area for 11 years - 5 years in the North Bay and 6 in the East Bay. And I never once saw lightning or heard thunder.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Friend in LA had thunder and lightning, no rain.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:00 pm I lived in the Bay Area for 11 years - 5 years in the North Bay and 6 in the East Bay. And I never once saw lightning or heard thunder.
Lived in the Bay Area from around 1963 until 1981. Thunder and lightning were not common, but occurred at least a couple of times a year each year I lived there.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Azastan wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:45 am
Maybenaut wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:00 pm I lived in the Bay Area for 11 years - 5 years in the North Bay and 6 in the East Bay. And I never once saw lightning or heard thunder.
Lived in the Bay Area from around 1963 until 1981. Thunder and lightning were not common, but occurred at least a couple of times a year each year I lived there.
I’m not saying it didn’t happen, just that it never happened near me. When we moved east it scared the crap out of me.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

At 6pm, it’s 102 at my house.

Fuck it I’m going to the beach.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:55 pm At 6pm, it’s 102 at my house.

Fuck it I’m going to the beach.
You should. Catch a show, maybe.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:lol:
Saw Don.
No Gideon so far
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

A bit toasty in the NW, I love my pleated blinds and how much heat they do keep out, but long-haired floofy Luna is still not a happy camper. Here's my latest effort to keep her cool :oldlady: :whistle:

She actually stayed put and didn't toss them off immediately.

Sorry it's so big, but I'm too lazy and too hawt to learn how to downsize it :oldlady: :bag:
Attachments
hawt.jpg
hawt.jpg (395.78 KiB) Viewed 731 times
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m dividing my time for the next three weeks between my home in the valley and my sister’s condo at the beach. She’s in Lisbon today.

Sprout and I switched places today. When I left the beach it was 63. It was 104 when I got home. It will cool down to 71 overnight.

I can’t take this heat anymore. It won’t cool down for a couple of weeks. I last about 5 minutes before I start to get heat exhaustion with the slightest exertion. This condition started shortly after the stroke. I think I broke my thermostat.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:

We're going to Washington State in a few weeks. I've always found it pleasant in the summer months; maybe not so much this time.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:12 pm :bighug:

We're going to Washington State in a few weeks. I've always found it pleasant in the summer months; maybe not so much this time.
Don't worry, heat waves up hear rarely last more than a few days *knocks wood*. I think you mentioned Whidbey, I believe their temps are cooler than the main Puget Sound locales.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:14 pm

Don't worry, heat waves up hear rarely last more than a few days *knocks wood*. I think you mentioned Whidbey, I believe their temps are cooler than the main Puget Sound locales.
Going over to Victoria from the peninsula. :daydreaming: One of our favorite places.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Haven't been there since I was a kid. The ferry ride must be spectacular.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We've only gone on the ferry from Seattle before. Depending on which ferry, fast or slow, that's several hours. The ferry from Port Angeles is about 90 minutes. I think this will be our fourth trip, but we're taking our granddaughter for her first visit. She's very excited about that part of the trip. (Okay, she's excited about all of it. She loves national parks. She'll get two more, Glacier NP and Olympic.)
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Kendra wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:14 pm

I spent last week in Seattle to visit family. The weather was absolutely perfect; it rained briefly for a few hours on Wednesday and that was it. Several days didn't have a single cloud in the sky. They had a bit of a heat wave over the weekend, with temps in the mid 80's (that's around 30 centigrade for you furriners or the people in the quaint, rural "Canada" region of upstate New York).

Whidbey Island was pretty warm on Sunday, and it didn't seem to be materially cooler than the mainland. But I'm used to more humidity in my 80-degree weather so your perception of it might vary.

My mom said that they had had an even more cloudy and miserable winter than usual, so last week was the first series of multiple sunny days in months.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

The weather today in Arkansas is perfect! 65F. 59% humidity. Perfect horse riding weather, or dog walking, or gardening....
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My kind of weather!
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Not an alert but a dramatic video of a lightning strike on a pickup truck. Gifted so shouldn’t be paywalled.

https://wapo.st/3IpE38f
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:shock:

hotzy.jpg
Out from under. :thumbsup:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

It's gonna get hot here, too, but not that hot. We had some much-needed rain over the last two days, though.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle

Return to “General Stuff”