What? The snow is making the highways turn orange? :confuzzled:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
MN-Skeptic

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:08 pm What? The snow is making the highways turn orange? :confuzzled:
Orange is the new black. Or something.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

:like:

:thumbsup:

:rotflmao:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:08 pm What? The snow is making the highways turn orange? :confuzzled:
Fun fact: a super rare condition where a Sahara sandstorm over N. Africa would carry dust to Europe and happens to hit and mix with a snow storm, or just settles after snow fall .
MsDaisy
Verified:

Post by MsDaisy »

We're only supposed to get a couple of inches but it's still pretty.
Snow2022.1.jpg
Snow2022.1.jpg (74.66 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
Snow2022.2.jpg
Snow2022.2.jpg (68.21 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Reed Timmer
@ReedTimmerAccu
·
28m
More pure freezing rain from this storm in the Raleigh area. Now temps have just warmed above freezing but ice remains. Power outages widespread across Piedmont region
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

At 2:40 PM, the snow started. It's coming down and laying instantly. I had time to go out and batten down the hatches and come back in for a cup of hot coffee.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I went for a lovely walk, warm and dry the whole time, a little slippery on the wooden bridges, otherwise just slush and rain.
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Around the Pittsburgh area, we got about seven inches. They were predicting a wet snow, but it's a dry snow. Areas north of us have closer to a foot or more. Lake effect snow kicked in and added to their total. We may still get another inch, and it's windy out there, so there's a bit of blowing snow. I don't think the winds ever got high enough to be very dangerous, but it was enough to keep the snow from settling on tree branches, so not bringing down trees. I haven't heard of any power outages in the area. We did not dodge the bullet, there are still plenty of snow and lots of roads to be cleared, but it could have been worse, and was in a lot of areas.

I went out and cleared the front decks and steps, and my son is taking care of the rest of it. Hopefully, we'll have it back to normal before the next one.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:12 pm Hopefully, we'll have it back to normal before the next one.
Always the best scenario! Nothing worse (at least here in the PNW where the snow is almost always like wet concrete) than snow followed by rising temperatures which melt the snow, then freezes over night and turns to ice. Repeat over several days for a real PNW experience!
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

We are not going above freezing, except for barely above, for the rest of the month, as far as I can tell. This is unusual for here over the last ten + years. We're sort of used to having the snow melt before the next one. That doesn't look like a likelihood this time. As long as they keep the roads clear and I can get down and up my driveway, I'm good.
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

We got about 3 inches at most here in SW Ohio. It will be all melted by Wednesday. Looks pretty. Dog is trying to figure out what the stuff is but has fun chasing the salt trucks.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

The prediction for Friday is ... checks Weather Underground app ...

SEVEN INCHES OF SNOW, AIEEEE WE'RE DOOMED, DOOMED I TELL YOU!!

:eek:

I cannot begin to describe how unprepared this city is for 7" of snow. One little snowflake and the whole city shuts down.

Luckily, we're still ready. :clap:
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Snow is much more enjoyable on the teebee and mobies than in real life. 8-)
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

We got 8” of snow and ice starting Sunday night. Stormy had an appointment Monday am to get spayed that we really did not want to miss (she had already been through one heat cycle and was thoroughly miserable). I called the vet and asked if they would be open, and their response was, “why wouldn’t we?” They told me if we could get there safely, they’d be ready for us.

We live on a major U.S. Highway that connects the town with the Interstate. But the road runs steep and windy, through a mountain pass. So VDOT ran their snowplows all night long, and when we left in the morning the road down the mountain was clear. The roads in town were plowed, if a little icy.

What we’ve discovered about this area of Virginia is that, although most years we only get a dusting of snow, in the years it does snow, we get dumped on. And they know how to prepare, and they are prepared.

Stormy’s surgery went well, and she’s back home, pretty much back to normal.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Glad to hear she's doing well!
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:04 am The prediction for Friday is ... checks Weather Underground app ...

I cannot begin to describe how unprepared this city is for 7" of snow. One little snowflake and the whole city shuts down.

Last February when we got 8 inches of snow it pretty much brought our city to a standstill. Typically this area gets 3 to 4 inches of snow a year in total in 3 or 4 different storms. Needless to say the city has very few snow plows and only plows the major roadways. Residential neighborhoods have to wait for a thaw.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I've lived in the snow belt my entire life so I'm used to 6+ snowfalls slowing things down.

Two comments about snow in the warmer regions: On the good side, while you folks may not have the snow plows that we do, your snow melts on its own within a couple of days. Ours just tends to pile up. And up. And up. On the negative side, when you southerners do get snow, it's when the temperatures are in the upper 20s and low 30s, meaning that the snow is wet and heavy and brings down trees and electric lines. That sucks. 18" of powdery snow up here typically doesn't cause that kind of damage. It just adds to our piles to the point where the snow plows have to be used to remove snow piles from street corners so we can see oncoming traffic. You folks have never experienced that.

By the way, we currently have about 8" of snow on the ground in the Twin Cities. Living on a suburban corner lot, I'm used to kids occasionally cutting the corner and leaving footprints in the snow. When I looked out this morning, I saw prints in the snow and my first thought was maybe a neighbor had crossed my yard. But then it hit me - no person made those prints. It was obviously a deer. I'm about 5 blocks from a marshland. We don't see deer often, but they are around. And fox. And coyotes. And all the little critters.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:22 pm Two comments about snow in the warmer regions: On the good side, while you folks may not have the snow plows that we do, your snow melts on its own within a couple of days. Ours just tends to pile up. And up. And up.
I even noticed the difference when I moved from Kalamazoo, MI, to the pinky of the mitt. With 250 inches my first winter there, going down some roads was like driving in a tunnel of snow. Actually quite pretty. You could also look at the woods beyond various schools and see large piles of snow where the schools dumped it as they were running out of room by the parking lots. I used to go to sleep on Sunday evenings to the lovely sound of the backup beepers on the front end loaders removing the piles of snow from the grocery store parking lot. I miss the lovely sounds of northern Michigan (including the fog horn). To be fair, without snow and cold, the tip of the mitt loses a bunch of revenue in terms of skiers and snowmobilers from downstate.

I realized when I drove down to my parents at one point that, while we did get more snow anyway, when it started falling in November/December, it never went away, until May. Downstate they had some melting.

This year, Virginia, the Carolina's, and the PNW are all getting more snow than the measly 4-5 inches we have had in the Chicago area so far. We will probably get nailed in February. That is usually what happens when we have a weak start.
101010 :towel:
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:04 am The prediction for Friday is ... checks Weather Underground app ...

Ironically, we had a group in Raleigh area request something to be sent quickly for a presentation on Friday. I told the colleague who passed on the request that it may be moot to expedite it as they may not be able to have the presentation after all. We sent it anyway but I see how TFB even informs my day job.
scirreeve

Post by scirreeve »

I was in Wilmington once when it snowed there (maybe an inch). Shut the city down - even worse than Rawly or Charlotte when it snows there. Good luck Foggy!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

severe_alert.jpg
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
northland10

Post by northland10 »

All we have here is a "heavy freezing spray warning."
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:22 pm I've lived in the snow belt my entire life so I'm used to 6+ snowfalls slowing things down.

Two comments about snow in the warmer regions: On the good side, while you folks may not have the snow plows that we do, your snow melts on its own within a couple of days. Ours just tends to pile up. And up. And up. On the negative side, when you southerners do get snow, it's when the temperatures are in the upper 20s and low 30s, meaning that the snow is wet and heavy and brings down trees and electric lines. That sucks. 18" of powdery snow up here typically doesn't cause that kind of damage. It just adds to our piles to the point where the snow plows have to be used to remove snow piles from street corners so we can see oncoming traffic. You folks have never experienced that.
I remember being in Atlanta when they got a surprise snow squall. Up north it would a big *shrug*, but this brought Atlanta to it's knees. :lol: Nobody knows how to drive in snow. Nobody has the proper tires. They have no plows nor ice melt/salt. It was comical, kinda.
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Estiveoshot_20220119_064743.jpg
Image Image Image Image

Return to “General Stuff”