Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

W. Kevin Vicklund

Weather Alerts

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

My folks left early yesterday morning to go visit my sister and niece :thor: in VA Beach, trying to stay ahead of the weather. They arrived safely about 8 pm, weather was mostly rain. Here at the Viking Longhouse, we got maybe 3" overnight. Single digits, with windchills in the negative teens. I went out to test our new electric snowblower, it worked just fine, but not as much throw as the gas one. I even wore a long sleeve shirt today!
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:29 pm IMG_4320.jpeg

The stupid things we do. When I got up this morning 30+ mph winds were howling through my west facing front door. Apparently the weatherstrip has stopped doing its job. I looked for some foam I could stuff in the gap but didn't find anything so I chopped up a cardboard box and stuffed it in the crack. It looks dumb but I don't have much air coming through there now. New weatherstrip ordered.
I can't remember the times I've stuffed newspaper into window openings that leaked. It works pretty damn well.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
humblescribe
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by humblescribe »

Our forecast starting Tuesday and continuing for ten days will be a Pineapple Express bringing rainstorm after rainstorm across much of California. Our famous "atmospheric river" has returned to the Golden State.

While this does not begin to approach the havoc wrought by the recent extremely cold weather that most of the country (and all y'all) are experiencing, we are gonna see just how much water we get over this period. Crossing fingers that enough arctic air will be at 5,000 feet to chill the precipitation and turn into snow. Otherwise we could lose a lot of the nice snow pack that is already accumulating.

Not sure I am ready for ten or more days of rain. But I'll cheerfully take it!
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
much ado

Weather Alerts

Post by much ado »

Our son flew down from Seattle on Wednesday evening for Christmas here in the San Francisco Bay Area. So, he's very happy to spend the holiday in California, where the weather is sunny with a chance of earthquakes.
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:52 pm Our forecast starting Tuesday and continuing for ten days will be a Pineapple Express bringing rainstorm after rainstorm across much of California. Our famous "atmospheric river" has returned to the Golden State.

While this does not begin to approach the havoc wrought by the recent extremely cold weather that most of the country (and all y'all) are experiencing, we are gonna see just how much water we get over this period. Crossing fingers that enough arctic air will be at 5,000 feet to chill the precipitation and turn into snow. Otherwise we could lose a lot of the nice snow pack that is already accumulating.

Rain at this time of the year in California always brings mudslides to southern California. I do hope it gets cold enough for snowpack to accumulate.
much ado

Weather Alerts

Post by much ado »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:52 pm Our forecast starting Tuesday and continuing for ten days will be a Pineapple Express bringing rainstorm after rainstorm across much of California. Our famous "atmospheric river" has returned to the Golden State.

Right, humblescribe, we need the rain. Here's a link to the California Department of Water Resources graph of the current Snow Water Content in the Sierras. It shows how we are doing against an average year also compared with a very wet year (1982-83) and a very dry year (2014-15).

ETA: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/swcchart.action
humblescribe
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by humblescribe »

Azastan wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:03 pm

Rain at this time of the year in California always brings mudslides to southern California. I do hope it gets cold enough for snowpack to accumulate.
If you recall, we had a ball-busting start to winter in December 2016. In February we received so much warm rain from the tropics that the Oroville Dam had to spill, and the original spillway had been damaged so the "alternate" spillway was forced into use. The lower Feather River as it approached its confluence with the Sacramento flooded and destroyed a lot of farm land that abutted the river. Much of the inflow to the reservoir behind Oroville Dam was from early snow melt. It was so bad that the electricity generators had to be shut down for a while.

Yeah, if some of that arctic air lingers around, I hope that will help stanch any early melting.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
much ado

Weather Alerts

Post by much ado »

Sorry, mrs ado called me away on an urgent Christmas matter, so I forgot the link to the Sierra Snow Water Content. Here it is...

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/snowapp/swcchart.action

The interface allows you to select any of the previous several years to graph. So it is true, we may flatline, even though we are off to a good start for the water year.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

My Seattle sister and SIL have made it home from the cancer center. My sister texted that it was a slow but safe drive.

Here in the Twin Cities I had to go to a busy area to renew my driver’s license. The roads have a lot of packed snow on them. You pause before you start going through a stoplight which has just turned green because cross traffic doesn’t necessarily stop right away at the slippery intersections when their light turns red. I have great winter tires on my car, but my antilock brakes chattered at one left turn stoplight.

Interstate 90 is closed from Rapid City, SD to Albert Lea, MN because of blowing snow. I can see too that portions of I-35 in Iowa are also closed. It’s nasty out! The wind is really whipping the new snow around.
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

much ado wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:02 pm Our son flew down from Seattle on Wednesday evening for Christmas here in the San Francisco Bay Area. So, he's very happy to spend the holiday in California, where the weather is sunny with a chance of earthquakes.
One of my friends is a snowbird in SoCal, and she was going to come up here for Christmas with her daughter and grandkids. She's happy she didn't come.

Your son is lucky he managed to leave on Wednesday. Last I heard, which was a couple of hours ago, only one runway was open, and SEA was still trying to de-ice the rest of the runways.

humblescribe wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:33 pm

If you recall, we had a ball-busting start to winter in December 2016. In February we received so much warm rain from the tropics that the Oroville Dam had to spill, and the original spillway had been damaged so the "alternate" spillway was forced into use. The lower Feather River as it approached its confluence with the Sacramento flooded and destroyed a lot of farm land that abutted the river. Much of the inflow to the reservoir behind Oroville Dam was from early snow melt. It was so bad that the electricity generators had to be shut down for a while.

Yeah, if some of that arctic air lingers around, I hope that will help stanch any early melting.
My husband is from Browns Valley, and most of his relatives live north of Sacramento, so we keep an eye on the weather for that area. My husband spent many pleasant days fishing in and around Oroville Dam.
MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 5:40 pm My Seattle sister and SIL have made it home from the cancer center. My sister texted that it was a slow but safe drive.
I'm really glad to hear they made it there and back safely. It's not too bad if you can stick to roads which are relatively flat, but as you know, we have lots and lots and lots of hills here! Kendra and I know all about how hard it can be to get up (or down!) the Kent East Hill when it snows or ices up!

My husband made it in to work (down by Boeing Field). Local roads were bad--two cars spun out and in the ditches on our road--until he was able to hook up with SR 169. It wasn't bad from there, although I think he said he stuck to 35 mph!
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Maybenaut wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:41 pm Oh, my. We have a lot of stupid fixes around here too.

My husband has a FLIR heat detector, and he’s constantly looking for cold spots, and doing a temporary fix until we can make more permanent repairs. One exterior wall in the living room had zero insulation; that part of the house is cantilevered, and there was no insulation under the floor, either. That all got fixed in the last couple of weeks (thank Dog), but this house is still drafty af.
I really need to do that with my house. It's only 16 years old and I seem to have leaks everywhere. Midwest tract houses are the worst.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:09 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:29 pm IMG_4320.jpeg

The stupid things we do. When I got up this morning 30+ mph winds were howling through my west facing front door. Apparently the weatherstrip has stopped doing its job. I looked for some foam I could stuff in the gap but didn't find anything so I chopped up a cardboard box and stuffed it in the crack. It looks dumb but I don't have much air coming through there now. New weatherstrip ordered.
I can't remember the times I've stuffed newspaper into window openings that leaked. It works pretty damn well.
Newspapers? Yeah, I don't have any of those. But I did have a couple of Newegg boxes. :biggrin:
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Slarti the White
Verified: Badges... we don't need no stinkin' badges

Weather Alerts

Post by Slarti the White »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:15 pm
Maybenaut wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:41 pm Oh, my. We have a lot of stupid fixes around here too.

My husband has a FLIR heat detector, and he’s constantly looking for cold spots, and doing a temporary fix until we can make more permanent repairs. One exterior wall in the living room had zero insulation; that part of the house is cantilevered, and there was no insulation under the floor, either. That all got fixed in the last couple of weeks (thank Dog), but this house is still drafty af.
I really need to do that with my house. It's only 16 years old and I seem to have leaks everywhere. Midwest tract houses are the worst.
I'm in an unheated loft in a house built in the 1940s in northern Michigan. Fortunately, Danraft haz deployed approximately 2 metric shit-tons of caulk and it is not drafty at all. It's amazing how much difference a couple hundred tubes of caulk (and a roommate determined to hermetically seal the place) can make...

So far we seem to have missed the worst of this blizzard -- south of us it's in the single digits and even below zero, just a half hour north of us has been getting buried in snow and I heard the state police were talking about closing the interstate, but we just had about 4-6" of snow and some wind. Hope this keeps up and everyone keeps safe!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Glad to hear all here are safe and MN's sister! :biggrin:

There was light snow in central Arkansas, but none stuck on the roads. This is Pancake's first snow and she is EXUBERANT!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:51 pm Glad to hear all here are safe and MN's sister! :biggrin:

There was light snow in central Arkansas, but none stuck on the roads. This is Pancake's first snow and she is EXUBERANT!!!!
Very good news indeed. I was worried, the videos coming out today are pretty scary.
jcolvin2
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by jcolvin2 »

Kendra wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:55 pm
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:51 pm Glad to hear all here are safe and MN's sister! :biggrin:

Very good news indeed. I was worried, the videos coming out today are pretty scary.
My daughter is supposed to fly out of the NW Arkansas Regional Airport tomorrow. Had she been scheduled to fly today, her flight to Seattle would likely have been canceled due to icy weather at our end. The Seattle weather is improving, so I am hoping that Arkansas weather does not trap her.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I am in central Arkansas about 400 miles south of the NWA Regional Airport. I don't k ow the weather conditions there.

Thanks, Kendra!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Slarti the White wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:30 pm I'm in an unheated loft in a house built in the 1940s in northern Michigan. Fortunately, Danraft haz deployed approximately 2 metric shit-tons of caulk and it is not drafty at all. It's amazing how much difference a couple hundred tubes of caulk (and a roommate determined to hermetically seal the place) can make...

So far we seem to have missed the worst of this blizzard -- south of us it's in the single digits and even below zero, just a half hour north of us has been getting buried in snow and I heard the state police were talking about closing the interstate, but we just had about 4-6" of snow and some wind. Hope this keeps up and everyone keeps safe!
Yeah, I already know I need some caulk. I even had air leaking in around the glass in the sidelights this morning. I probably need to replace the weatherstrip around all my windows too. The Seattle house was built two years earlier and was nearly drum tight.
John Adams
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

https://komonews.com/news/local/family- ... snoqualmie
SNOQUALMIE, Wash. — A family is left with a broken home and a missing cat after trees fell on their house during the ice storm that swept across western Washington early Friday morning.

Trees fell on the family's Snoqualmie home around 4:30 a.m. Friday, according to a friend of the family. Once the fire department helped the mother and daughter evacuate, three more trees came down.

The family was able to escape the home with minor injuries, but they are missing their cat, Fibi.
I hope they find kitty.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Even if you don't watch football, you might enjoy checking out this website - http://nflweather.com/. It shows the weather forecast for the cities with upcoming NFL games. Here's a partial screen grab of the site:
NFLWeather.jpg
NFLWeather.jpg (63.01 KiB) Viewed 506 times
jcolvin2
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by jcolvin2 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:08 pm I am in central Arkansas about 400 miles south of the NWA Regional Airport. I don't k ow the weather conditions there.
I did not imagine that the whole of Arkansas extended 400 miles from north to south. 😀
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... a-turtles/
But researchers and animal experts say the cold spells don’t seem to incapacitate the iguanas like they used to, suggesting that animals are adapting to the chilly weather. People may still see iguanas dropping during the upcoming cold blast, but not as many as two to three decades ago, said Zoo Miami’s Ron Magill.

“With each year when we get a cold streak, I see less and less of those iguanas falling out of trees and being cold-stunned … and it’s not because there are less and less iguanas,” Magill said. “It’s just indicative that these animals are, in fact, adapting. Less and less of them are succumbing to this type of temperature differential.”

Iguanas, like all coldblooded animals, cannot generate their own heat; their internal temperature matches that of their surroundings. To help survive colder weather, they slow down body processes including blood flow and circulation and their heartbeat to the point where it might stop. Magill said they turn from a bright green to a dark gray or black, and their eyes will be sunken in. If they don’t warm up soon enough, they could die.

“When you have a big freeze, the iguanas who don’t survive don’t pass on those genes,” Magill said. “Iguanas that have managed to survive, whether it be by getting into the water or getting underground, figuring out a way to kind of insulate themselves from the cold, they pass that gene on.”
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Weather Alerts

Post by Greatgrey »

Seattle. It’s always Seattle.

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm really impressed with that guy's ice skating skills, but I'll be it wasn't fun. :o
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Greatgrey wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:05 pm Seattle. It’s always Seattle.
First we had snow. That more or less disappeared, but left the ground already cold. Then yesterday in the evening we had freezing rain after a morning of mid-teen temperatures.

We are bad enough in snow, but ice is awful. I don't know why people think they can get down some of Seattle's hilly streets, but they try.

At least we didn't have any buses trying to go down the Queen Anne Counterbalance--those are generally instant classics.

Return to “General Stuff”