Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Azastan
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:22 pm R.A.I.N. It's just pouring non stop.
Flooding will be happening soon.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:07 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:22 pm R.A.I.N. It's just pouring non stop.
Flooding will be happening soon.
James Street is already flooded and closed. My very small side street is flooded one corner and best avoided.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

:roll: 75 today. If this is all the winter we get this year, ima not gonna be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Well, we got that snow today. It turns out we were in it, and it wasn't fun. We took the grandkids, with timed reservations, to the holiday show at Phipps Conservatory. It was hectic as we had to pick the grandson up after school and rush there as quickly as we could through busy rush-hour traffic. From what they were saying, the snow would start about the time we went to the outside garden. It started absolutely when they said it would. It started coming down and didn't stop. In spite of talking for days about this coming in, there was no salt truck or plow out. The roads were terrible, "slippy," as they say in Western PA. It was bad taking the kids back home, and it was even worse returning across town. We still have no idea why, but we got stuck on the River Road for 40 minutes. There was a big truck in front of us, so we couldn't see what was going on as the road is also windy. An ambulance went past once. All of a sudden, it started moving. My husband thought he saw the ambulance close to one of the bends in the road, but we turned and went up the hill before that. Unless it's on the news tonight, no clue.

First snow, not a happy camper, but at least it wasn't 24+ hours! It's going into the high 40s over the weekend, so it will soon be gone. :thumbsup:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Azastan wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:21 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:55 pm Lovely road, and a long one to close down!
SR14 and I-84 are a main east/west set of freeways. Moving up Washington State, we have 14 mountain passes through the Cascades, most of which close in the winter due to snow. Trucks needing to get east/west which can't use I-90 will go down to SR14 and I-84 as a default workaround.

Currently Snoqualmie Pass, which is the pass through the Cascades on I-90 is open, but if it closes, there's nowhere else to go, which means that trucks just sit and wait until Snoqualmie Pass opens.
And an update:
WSDOT
9h ·
UPDATE 6:32 p.m. Thursday: Snoqualmie, Stevens, White & Blewett passes remain closed. Because of the conditions and amount of work needed to safely re-open, they will likely remain closed until Sunday. Conditions are too dangerous for crews to be in the pass areas. Snow & debris continue to slide onto the highways. Crews are working in areas where it is safe to plow, clear catch basins & do other work to have those areas ready when we can reopen.

More snow and possibly rain is in the forecast for the passes tonight. This will only increase the avalanche danger. If it is safe to do so, we will spend all day Friday addressing avalanche issues to create a safe work zone. Once avalanche work is done, we will spend Saturday clearing the areas, including plowing and treating roads, removing snow/ice from signs, clearing trees & debris from the road and clearing catch basins for drainage.

In lowlands, heavy rain in several areas of the state will increase flood & washout danger. Several rivers are under advisories with risks to increase as snow melt continues. There is high danger of downed trees due to saturated soil, heavy snow & rain. In Eastern WA, rain/flooding is a concern as is snow and strong winds, including in the Palouse. Blowing and drifting snow produce low visibility and challenging conditions leading to road closures and possibly power outages.
We recognize the importance of these corridors but nothing is more important than the safety of our crews and the public. We are prepared to move in once it is safe, and we appreciate your patience during this challenging situation.

ORIGINAL POST: As expected, extreme weather has created havoc across much of the state, leading to a number of closures including Snoqualmie, Stevens, White and Blewett passes. Conditions are so hazardous – including snow slides, trees falling and high avalanche concern – that it is too dangerous for our snowplow and avalanche control crews to be in the areas. Because of that, passes will not reopen until at least Friday and potentially not until Saturday.
Additionally, the two other east-west routes – SR 14 and Oregon’s I-84, which run through the Columbia River Gorge – are closed to freight traffic, with I-84 being closed to all vehicles.

The current conditions on the passes include very heavy snowfall, near-zero visibility and falling debris like trees onto the highway. Once the snowfall lets up, the forecast calls for heavy rain, including freezing rain, which will increase avalanche danger.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

WSDOT closed I5 for twenty miles from Grand Mound to Chehalis due to river flooding.

https://www.king5.com/video/news/breaki ... 5c13793d86
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

bill_g wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:17 pm WSDOT closed I5 for twenty miles from Grand Mound to Chehalis due to river flooding.

https://www.king5.com/video/news/breaki ... 5c13793d86
At least one of my friends got looped around by that. One road flooded in both directions, had to go to Napavine to get onto I-5. Got to mile marker 93 and learned I-5 was getting shut down between mile markers 68-88. She was fortunate that she was able to turn around and go home before she got stuck.

My own road got flooded down by the elementary schools. It's a low spot which gets 'Water over Road' signs often. But it's never been CLOSED before. This morning the road was closed to through traffic.
Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Azastan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:19 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:08 am I feel like if you are going to drive on public roads, you have a responsibility to clear the snow off your vehicle. If that means procuring a long brush and a ladder, so be it. But don’t put other drivers in danger.
Fortunately, my husband is 18.2 hands, so he gets to do the snow removal from the vehicles.
Horse people think differently. :lol:
Optimism is a good characteristic, but if carried to an excess, it becomes foolishness.
—Theodore Roosevelt
Lani

Post by Lani »

The heavy rain we had lasted for days. Occasionally, some bridges were closed on and off and some roads had flooding on and off. Now days later, with mostly sunny days with on and off light rain, we're having land slides.

There is a small neighborhood that is stranded due to the side of hill collapsing. The Red Cross offered supplies and temporary shelter, but the residents wanted to stay at home. BTW, no electricity and no landline phones. So people are driving to the slide, loading their backpacks with food, household items, batteries, etc, and climbing over the slide to deliver to the residents. Apparently, the hill is unstable, so reopening the road is going to take awhile. Fortunately, there are temporary fixes to provide electricity & telephone service.

landside.jpg
landside.jpg (65.82 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Yikes, but it's nice to see them helping one another.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Amazing landslide. I would have liked to see a video of that come down. Astonishing how the rock front at the bottom is standing and has not toppled over. No way that they will start and remove that rock mass. They will need to cross the creek in front with the new road and back again.
Lani

Post by Lani »

AndyinPA wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:51 pm Yikes, but it's nice to see them helping one another.
That's the one thing we do very well. People here still talk about cat 4 Hurricane Iniki in September 11 1994. 50% of homes were damaged or destroyed. Power wasn't fully back up for over 2 months. They recall it as a special time. No arguments or feuds. Everyone shared whatever they had, helped in anyway they could.

In 2019, we had a lot of flooding, including the little town of Koloa about a mile downhill from me. One road was suddenly flooded. People waded out in above waist water. Kids were on rafts or on parent's shoulders. Dogs swam out with families. Kitties & birds & other little pets in boxes were on buggy boards surfing boards. Some kayaks as well.

As soon as the water went down, hundreds of people showed up with pumps, mops, bleach, soap, etc. Houses were fully cleaned (as much as possible), and destroyed items were loaded up in trucks and hauled away. Residents returned quickly and camped outside. Everybody barbecued and shared whatever they had. Volunteers made lists of what people lost and sent out word of what was needed.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Post by Lani »

RTH10260 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:47 pm Amazing landslide. I would have liked to see a video of that come down. Astonishing how the rock front at the bottom is standing and has not toppled over. No way that they will start and remove that rock mass. They will need to cross the creek in front with the new road and back again.
It's Waimea River. There was a swinging bridge to cross the river, but it was damaged in the landslide. We had an Obama rally on the bridge, so many years ago.
Swinging bridge.png
Swinging bridge.png (498.11 KiB) Viewed 790 times
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I googled some more and see that I mis-interpreted your image. It was not the whole rock front that moved (as i first interpreted) but a slip of rock coverage above and pulling some soil from a field (likly the field was water sogged).

Other angle of the site from above

https://www.khon2.com/traffic/unstable- ... -landside/

also too
https://www.thegardenisland.com/2022/01 ... hune-road/
https://www.thegardenisland.com/2022/01 ... ge-closed/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Resembles Thermopylae. ;)
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Near Houston.

KHOU 11 News Houston
@KHOU
·
37m
Our photojournalist Erik Darelius is in Humble right now and captured this photo of severe damage in a neighborhood. Fortunately, no injuries have been reported out of Humble.

READ: https://khou.com/article/news/local/pos ... 37be672161
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

The Weather Channel
@weatherchannel
·
16m
NEW: A tornado watch has been issued for parts of Mississippi and Alabama. A few tornadoes and damaging wind gusts are possible in this area through the afternoon. A strong tornado or two cannot be ruled out.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

IMG_2730.JPG
IMG_2730.JPG (65.3 KiB) Viewed 681 times
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 pm Well, we got that snow today. It turns out we were in it, and it wasn't fun. We took the grandkids, with timed reservations, to the holiday show at Phipps Conservatory. It was hectic as we had to pick the grandson up after school and rush there as quickly as we could through busy rush-hour traffic. From what they were saying, the snow would start about the time we went to the outside garden. It started absolutely when they said it would. It started coming down and didn't stop. In spite of talking for days about this coming in, there was no salt truck or plow out. The roads were terrible, "slippy," as they say in Western PA. It was bad taking the kids back home, and it was even worse returning across town. We still have no idea why, but we got stuck on the River Road for 40 minutes. There was a big truck in front of us, so we couldn't see what was going on as the road is also windy. An ambulance went past once. All of a sudden, it started moving. My husband thought he saw the ambulance close to one of the bends in the road, but we turned and went up the hill before that. Unless it's on the news tonight, no clue.

First snow, not a happy camper, but at least it wasn't 24+ hours! It's going into the high 40s over the weekend, so it will soon be gone. :thumbsup:
Do yinzers still break out the umbrellas for snowstorms? I still remember my first snowstorm at CMU, looking out from Scobell and wondering what the heck all the white domes moving along the sidewalks were.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:56 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:59 pm Well, we got that snow today. It turns out we were in it, and it wasn't fun. We took the grandkids, with timed reservations, to the holiday show at Phipps Conservatory. It was hectic as we had to pick the grandson up after school and rush there as quickly as we could through busy rush-hour traffic. From what they were saying, the snow would start about the time we went to the outside garden. It started absolutely when they said it would. It started coming down and didn't stop. In spite of talking for days about this coming in, there was no salt truck or plow out. The roads were terrible, "slippy," as they say in Western PA. It was bad taking the kids back home, and it was even worse returning across town. We still have no idea why, but we got stuck on the River Road for 40 minutes. There was a big truck in front of us, so we couldn't see what was going on as the road is also windy. An ambulance went past once. All of a sudden, it started moving. My husband thought he saw the ambulance close to one of the bends in the road, but we turned and went up the hill before that. Unless it's on the news tonight, no clue.

Do yinzers still break out the umbrellas for snowstorms? I still remember my first snowstorm at CMU, looking out from Scobell and wondering what the heck all the white domes moving along the sidewalks were.
Only for really wet snows. :biggrin:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Been raining hard all day. One of my coworkers has to find a way around this mess to get into West Seattle.

https://westseattleblog.com/2022/01/tra ... her-slide/

That's a big steep hill with nothing on either side is all Cottonwood trees and unstable hillside when wet like this. Shutting down a major arterial like this will suck for locals. They're already down to bare bones options since the upper bridge broke in 2020.
Azastan
Verified:

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:26 pm Been raining hard all day. One of my coworkers has to find a way around this mess to get into West Seattle.

That's a big steep hill with nothing on either side is all Cottonwood trees and unstable hillside when wet like this. Shutting down a major arterial like this will suck for locals. They're already down to bare bones options since the upper bridge broke in 2020.
I had flashbacks when I saw the displaced house on Lawton. I know a few spots where I am located which unnerve me every time we have snow/ice/rain, because the ground is unstable and there's always trees falling across the road. Also Maple Valley Highway has a couple of places which routinely slide at times like these.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:41 pm
Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:26 pm Been raining hard all day. One of my coworkers has to find a way around this mess to get into West Seattle.

I had flashbacks when I saw the displaced house on Lawton. I know a few spots where I am located which unnerve me every time we have snow/ice/rain, because the ground is unstable and there's always trees falling across the road. Also Maple Valley Highway has a couple of places which routinely slide at times like these.
There are so many scary roads running through deep pockets with high hills, and the unstable Cottonwoods the worst of it. The trees have suffered badly through the last few years of drought, I can see it all the time in the Valley when there's a stand of them and they're all just dead.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:26 pm
Um.. how is this remarkable in January. It is normal on pier lighthouses.

Here is the same St. Joseph one in 2016 or so and that is in southwest Michigan.

A whole bunch of different ones.
https://99wfmk.com/st-joseph-lighthouse-2018/
101010 :towel:

Return to “General Stuff”