Weather Alerts

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Well, we shall see what is going to happen. I lived through Irma (sleeping in an internal bathroom with vodka/soda, a bit of weed, and candles) and when I woke at 10:30pm it was over.-- big mess.

But I lost my weed supplier. This might be a rough roll. Uh Oh.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I was considering bailing early for my KC/ABQ trip but our airport is already canceling flights. I still have my weekend flight but if the system stalls out, there'll still be major storms over Georgia so who the hell knows. I can probably salvage the ABQ part, but my chances of making my class reunion and the Ren Fest are looking pretty bad.

That said, we've secured the house, mostly. We have four windows on the north and east to shutter up in the morning. We were going to leave them uncovered when the storm was tracking more west, but not now. Luckily, they're small and will go easily. The rest of the windows/sliders have more efficient protection which cover the south and west sides of the house. Luckily our roof is only a year old. Cross your fingers for the solar panels.

I've pulled out the candles, put fresh batteries in the flashlights and I always keep a hurricane stash, with plenty of water and canned goodies like Chef Boyardee. Yes, it's garbage, but it's something to fill you up. Also, lots of sanitizer. I filled up a bunch of water jugs just in case we end up with a boil order* and we picked up charcoal in case we have to cook up the meat in the freezer.

*We finally got city water last year, so we should at least have running water if the lights go out, but I still expect the boil order. The bitch about the well/sewer setup was, no power, no water. We have a pool so we could fill the toilet tanks from that, but hopefully that's no longer an issue.

Unless it shifts (again) poor Tampa will get the worst of it, but we will get very wet and probably lose more than a few screens on the pool cage.
My Crested Yorkie, Gilda and her amazing hair.

ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Having been through big storms on the TX Gulf Coast and here on the North Fork I feel for those in the path of Ian.

Best of luck to you. :bighug:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

"And the waiting is the hardest part"

Slim is at more risk than I because she is close to the coast-- I am inland by 18 miles and further south.

On the electric, I'm on a part of the grid that is priority (hospital medical supply/services company nearby) so we get it back first. It was 21 hours after Irma. Across the street and other areas surrounding me were 5-6 days.

I think we will be okay.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Good luck to all of you!
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Stay safe everyone. I personally :pray: :daydreaming: that it will take a right turn and head straight for Mar A Lago.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Smart planning, Slim. We're getting non stop rain in Broward and schools will be closed tomorrow but this time isn't ours. Our area is a better area to evacuate to than going north where the storm may still be headed.

This is my public Hurricane Twitter list, it has a lot of respected forecasters. Feel free to access it: https://twitter.com/i/lists/1432054335597424649

Stay safe :lovestruck:
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The shutters are up, plenty of food, water, sanitizer, batteries, flashlights and candles. Now we wait.

None of the neighbors around here are bailing. Where would they go? Can't head north. They'll get it worse than us. (sigh)

I don't have much to do other than surf the net as long as we have power so if I don't post for a few hours, I'm probably down.

BTW, we did bail for Irma and it was hell, bumper to bumper on I75. Took us 12 hours to get to Tally. Nonetheless, DO NOT leave the interstate just because there's a wreck ahead. At least the gas trucks will cruise the highways, but not the little towns everyone was being detoured thorugh. Had we run out there, we'd been stuck as all gas stations were closed.

We had a cat5 heading right for our town, then took a hard right turn and headed straight up the center of the state. Did a horrible job on Marco Island, Everglades City and Naples, but my neighborhood never lost power. The problem with hoping your house is spared is knowing somebody else is going to get wiped out.

ImageImageImage x4
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Sending you positive thoughts and vibes, slim.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

tek

Post by tek »

2.8 inches of rain so far today on Lake Humidity in Palm Beach County.

Maybe TFG will go golfing and get struck by lightning.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:40 pm At least the gas trucks will cruise the highways, but not the little towns everyone was being detoured thorugh. Had we run out there, we'd been stuck as all gas stations were closed.
I always wondered about people running out of gas in those long lines evacuating. You answered my question.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

SuzieC wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:52 pm Sending you positive thoughts and vibes, slim.
Oh, I get no love? :cry:
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Much love but you said Slim was in a more endangered area! :bighug: :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

I am sending all the Fogbow Florida peeps positive vibes and energy, ESPECIALLY neonzx. :biggrin: :lovestruck:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
tek

Post by tek »

NHC is late with the 5PM update :waiting:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

My friends evacuated from Zone A to the 10th floor of the Hyatt in downtown Tampa this morning. Several hours later they were informed Zone B was now a mandatory evac zone but they could stay if they signed a waiver. They signed the waiver and the hotel gave them a single light stick in case the power went out. Yep, one of those green glow stick things you see at concerts.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:00 pm My friends evacuated from Zone A to the 10th floor of the Hyatt in downtown Tampa this morning. Several hours later they were informed Zone B was now a mandatory evac zone but they could stay if they signed a waiver. They signed the waiver and the hotel gave them a single light stick in case the power went out. Yep, one of those green glow stick things you see at concerts.
I was in Boston a month back and the lights went out at our hotel. They too handed out green glow sticks. I guess they were better than nothing.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

tek wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:41 pm 2.8 inches of rain so far today on Lake Humidity in Palm Beach County.

Maybe TFG will go golfing and get struck by lightning.
:daydreaming: :pray:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

The people trying to evacuate to Miami/Ft Lauderdale are bumper to bumper on I-75, (Gator Alley) and driving right into the path of several tornado warnings.

ImageImageImage x4
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Yeah this is bad in Broward, tons of bands are coming in with tornado warnings. Big lightning, heavy rain and Weather Channel just spent 15 precious on-air minutes showing tornados on major roads (they can see it on some new radar now), crossing Interstates like 595. Dr. Rick Knabb was unusually flustered. It's raining heavily. And we're on the "good side" of Ian.

New 8pm Intermediate Advisory is out. Naples is now under tornado warning. While Tampa is a bit out of the worst storm surge prediction earlier, now the worry is they might get 2 FEET of rain (on top of surge). 24" is huge. It may be a storm talked about for generations (and that's not hyperbole). Nothing like this has ever happened in living memory in this area.

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.

Broward:
Tornado.JPG
Tornado.JPG (80.13 KiB) Viewed 340 times

tornado 2.JPG
tornado 2.JPG (99.33 KiB) Viewed 340 times

Naples:
tornado 3.JPG
tornado 3.JPG (83.6 KiB) Viewed 340 times

Here's to show where we are (Ft. Lauderdale, east coast), vs. west coast where Ian is headed.
tornado 4.JPG
tornado 4.JPG (68.08 KiB) Viewed 340 times

Imagine: Now 2.5 MILLION people are being told to evacuate.

This is going to go on for days BEFORE recovery starts. It's a huge storm and moving very slowly. There's a highly unusual 2 days of storm surge warning (Wed AND Thu). Disney and Universal will be closed Wed and Thu.

Meanwhile, DeSantis let the insurance market collapse while he was busy trolling. Tons of people are NOT going to be insured on their property.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

How on earth can they evacuate? Looking at a map of Florida, TWO highways out. And airports closed? So scary.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Best wishes and prayers for safety to all of you in Ian's path!

Return to “General Stuff”