Weather Alerts

Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

... and just in time for a Christmas tree, too! :?
🎶 We went for a ride,
We got outside,
The sand was hot,
She wanted to dance ... 🎶
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Sorry, it's already been cut into firewood rounds. I will make sure you have first crack at the next one, though.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

California storm leaves over 560,000 homes without power, more rough weather ahead

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/storm- ... ce=twitter
Torrential downpours and damaging winds left hundreds of thousands of homes and businesses without power in California early on Sunday as the area braced for the next onslaught of severe weather.

More than 560,000 homes were reported to be still without power in California as of 0506 ET (1006 GMT), according to data from PowerOutage.us.

At least six people have died in the severe weather since New Year's weekend, including a toddler killed by a fallen redwood tree crushing a mobile home in northern California.

Forecasters have meanwhile warned yet another "atmospheric river" of dense, moist tropical air will clobber California on Monday with rain and mountain snow.

An NWS weather alert on Saturday warned that the cumulative effect of successive heavy rain storms since late December could bring rivers to record high levels and cause flooding across much of Central California.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

We've had another windstorm here in the PNW. At least I have not lost any trees yet, but it seems that we may have another couple of days of more windstorms.
MN-Skeptic

Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Azastan wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:16 pm We've had another windstorm here in the PNW. At least I have not lost any trees yet, but it seems that we may have another couple of days of more windstorms.
My Seattle sister texted me that they were without power for 3 hours today :( . But, as she added, the Seahawks are in the playoffs! :dance:
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:34 pm

My Seattle sister texted me that they were without power for 3 hours today :( . But, as she added, the Seahawks are in the playoffs! :dance:
Yes! Seahawks got the last spot in the playoffs :D .

I am doing some kitty sitting in the area known as Hobart. A tree took out the power lines along the main drag. I couldn't get in to feed the kitties because the front gate was without power and wouldn't open. I think the power was out there from around 7.30 am until around 4.30 pm. That's a really long time for us.

I was fortunate enough to NOT have the power go out today, although my landline was acting a bit wonky earlier.

We've had crazy weather here the last couple of months. Usually we have boring rain every day. This winter (so far) has seen two bouts of snow, an ice storm, and two windstorms.

We'd like the boring rain back, please.
humblescribe
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by humblescribe »

The rain here has been anything but boring. :shock:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... east-snow/
If you’re a snow lover or ski area owner in most of the northeast quadrant of the Lower 48, the situation is bleak.

Below-average snowfall stretches along the entire Interstate 95 corridor from North Carolina to Maine. In Washington, Philadelphia and New York, no measurable snow has fallen.

Interior areas aren’t doing much better. Snowfall in the Allegheny Mountains is running 2 to 3 feet below average. Amounts are also below normal in the Catskills of New York and Green and White mountains of Vermont and New Hampshire.

While snow continues piling up in the West, there are no clear signs the East will see snowier weather in the near future.
We've had a little more snow than that, but most of the time there's been no snow on the ground. It's not that long ago, this area used to have what was called the January thaw when at the end of the month, we got a warm spell, and all the snow melted and the ice in the rivers broke up, and it flooded here. I'm not sure if I can remember if that has happened more than occasionally (maybe) in the last twenty years.

Christmas Day was bitterly cold (for most of the country, too), but mostly our weather here has been above normal. It's going to rain Thursday, turn to snow for a bit on Friday, and then start warming up again next week.

I can stand any winter that starts in February and will melt away in March, even if it's a little cooler than usual.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Azastan wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:16 pm We've had another windstorm here in the PNW. At least I have not lost any trees yet, but it seems that we may have another couple of days of more windstorms.
Yeah, I think I heard the next round of nastiness is Wednesday afternoon. No power or cable outages, but lucky to live in the part of the valley where most all of it is undergrounds and I rarely loose power. *knocks wood*
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:22 pm

Yeah, I think I heard the next round of nastiness is Wednesday afternoon. No power or cable outages, but lucky to live in the part of the valley where most all of it is undergrounds and I rarely loose power. *knocks wood*
My pilot friend warned me a couple of days ago that Wednesday and Thursday were looking to be nasty for windstorms. I lost one tree, but I have a couple of friends who not only lost trees, but one had a tree land on her detached garage, and the other had two trees lose their tops. Both of my friends needed to have cranes come out to remove the trees.

When I lived on the East Hill, we used to lose power all the time. Utilities finally got put underground and we rarely lost power after that.
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Was 80F here today, about 20F to 30F above normal.

Fire weather watch for tomorrow afternoon.

https://www.newschannel6now.com/2023/01 ... e-weather/
Wichita County and surrounding areas are entering a fire watch because weather conditions are prime for grass fires.

A single spark can start a fire, whether that spark is from a chain dragging under a trailer or the discarded end of a cigarette. Along with dry and windy conditions, the recent drought has caused a lot of dead vegetation, the perfect fuel for wildfires.

“We’ve been under a drought for a while now, the vegetation isn’t doing too good and we’re seeing a lot of dead vegetation,” First Alert Meteorologist Garret James said. “Including grasses, brush, that just would be very easy for a fire to use as fuel to grow and continue to grow until it is a very big fire at that point.”

For Wichita Falls Deputy Fire Chief Donald Hughes, it’s just like any other day. The fire department is always ready to help in the city and surrounding areas.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Dave from down under

Weather Alerts

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-01-05/ ... /101828308

Record-high winter temperatures have swept across parts of Europe over the new year, prompting calls from activists for faster action on climate change while offering short-term respite to governments struggling with high gas prices.

Key points:
In France, temperatures climbed to nearly 25 degrees Celsius in the south-west on New Year's Day
Once-bustling European ski resorts were deserted due to a lack of snow
The weather service in Germany said such a mild turn of the year had not been observed in the country since records began in 1881

Hundreds of sites have seen temperature records smashed from Switzerland to Poland to Hungary, which registered its warmest Christmas Eve in Budapest and saw temperatures climb to 18.9 degrees Celsius on January 1.

In France, where the night of December 30-31 was the warmest since records began, temperatures climbed to nearly 25C in the south-west on New Year's Day.

Normally bustling European ski resorts were deserted due to a lack of snow.
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

Too quiet, :waiting: for this rain and wind :shit: storm to hit any minute now.
Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

Kendra wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:02 pm Too quiet, :waiting: for this rain and wind :shit: storm to hit any minute now.
:yeahthat:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/weather/ ... ia-damage/
Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) declared a state of emergency, tweeting that tornadoes were confirmed or observed in six counties and possibly near Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, which is the busiest airport in the world.

Ivey (R) declared a state of emergency in six counties. One of those six is Autauga County, where coroner Buster Barber told The Washington Post on Thursday night that emergency workers were still surveying the area but confirmed “we have multiple dead.”

Barber said the storm flipped mobile homes and tore the roof off permanent dwellings. The storm also stymied first responders by collapsing the front end of a fire department, trapping emergency vehicles right when they are needed most.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

Tornado season is 12 months now.
tek

Weather Alerts

Post by tek »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:36 pm Tornado season is 12 months now.
GOP: "Nothing to see here. Move along."
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

'Dress like a cabbage': surviving the world's coldest city
Russia's Yakutsk hit by extreme sub-zero temperatures

Sun, January 15, 2023 at 4:09 PM GMT+1

YAKUTSK, Russia (Reuters) - Temperatures have plunged to minus 50 degrees Celsius (-58 Fahrenheit) this week in Yakutsk during an abnormally long cold snap in the Siberian city known as the coldest on earth.

Located 5,000 km (3,100 miles) east of Moscow on the permafrost of the Russian Far East, residents of the mining city often see the thermometer regularly drop well below minus 40.

"You can't fight it. You either adjust and dress accordingly or you suffer," said Anastasia Gruzdeva, outside in two scarves, two pairs of gloves and multiple hats and hoods.

"You don't really feel the cold in the city. Or maybe it's just the brain prepares you for it, and tells you everything is normal," she added in the city shrouded by icy mist.

Another resident, Nurgusun Starostina, who sells frozen fish at a market without the need for a fridge or freezer, said there were no special secrets to deal with the cold.

"Just dress warmly," she said. "In layers, like a cabbage!"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dress-cabbag ... 49579.html
much ado

Weather Alerts

Post by much ado »

This is a picture from Oymyakon, which some sources call the coldest village on earth. It is a few hundred miles east of Yakutsk.

https://www.boredpanda.com/coldest-vill ... gn=organic

From the article...
With the lowest temperature of -67.7°C (-90°F), recorded in 1933, and the average for January being -50°C (-60°F), this village is the coldest permanently inhabited place on this planet.
much ado

Weather Alerts

Post by much ado »

Here's a young woman from Yatkutsk, who has posted winter and summer selfies.

Russian Girl With Frozen Eyelashes Shares a New Buzz-Worthy Summer Pic

Looks like a great vacation spot.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:

I can't even begin to imagine that kind of cold.
much ado

Weather Alerts

Post by much ado »

AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:32 pm :eek:

Yeah. Mrs ado grew up in North Dakota and says her eyelashes would do that in winter. We visited her sister in Bismarck for Christmas years ago. One night it got down to 30 below, so I stepped outside to see what it felt like. PAIN! I stepped back inside very quickly.

Here in the SF Bay Area the coldest so far this winter is 37 F. We get light frost some winters.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

much ado wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:07 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:32 pm :eek:

Yeah. Mrs ado grew up in North Dakota and says her eyelashes would do that in winter. We visited her sister in Bismarck for Christmas years ago. One night it got down to 30 below, so I stepped outside to see what it felt like. PAIN! I stepped back inside very quickly.

Here in the SF Bay Area the coldest so far this winter is 37 F. We get light frost some winters.
I've been to Alaska and northern Norway in the dead of winter. They were freezing, but bearable. Fairbanks was pretty rough in February, though. We went to Fairbanks for an ice carving competition. The port-a-johns were heated!
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Warning of unprecedented heatwaves as El Niño set to return in 2023
Scientists say phenomenon coupled with growing climate crisis likely to push global temperatures ‘off the chart’

Damian Carrington Environment editor
Mon 16 Jan 2023 16.00 GMT

The return of the El Niño climate phenomenon later this year will cause global temperatures to rise “off the chart” and deliver unprecedented heatwaves, scientists have warned.

Early forecasts suggest El Niño will return later in 2023, exacerbating extreme weather around the globe and making it “very likely” the world will exceed 1.5C of warming. The hottest year in recorded history, 2016, was driven by a major El Niño.

It is part of a natural oscillation driven by ocean temperatures and winds in the Pacific, which switches between El Niño, its cooler counterpart La Niña, and neutral conditions. The last three years have seen an unusual run of consecutive La Niña events.

This year is already forecast to be hotter than 2022, which global datasets rank as the fifth or sixth hottest year on record. But El Niño occurs during the northern hemisphere winter and its heating effect takes months to be felt, meaning 2024 is much more likely to set a new global temperature record.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... ate-crisis
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

Well, that's worrying. :?

Return to “General Stuff”