Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

Azastan
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Azastan »

neonzx wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:49 pm
AndyinPA wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:29 pm Six more weeks of winter. The Ground Hog has spoken.
It's 83 here. What is this "winter" you speak of?
My spouse tells me, now having been in Oklahoma for the last two weeks with one more week to go before he gets to escape, that he now fully understands why it's called the 'dead' of winter.

I sent him some photos of Joey, his favourite horse, last night, and you could hear the tears in his voice when he told me that he misses seeing green grass because Oklahoma is brown grass, brown trees, and grey skies EVERY.SINGLE.DAY.
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Weather Alerts

Post by Greatgrey »

656F0A35-FACE-4FAA-B5A0-DF86F798FA01.jpeg
656F0A35-FACE-4FAA-B5A0-DF86F798FA01.jpeg (101.97 KiB) Viewed 806 times
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

A few days of early spring ...

early_spring.jpg
Out from under. :thumbsup:
pipistrelle

Weather Alerts

Post by pipistrelle »

This is bad for Joe Biden, right?
RVInit

Weather Alerts

Post by RVInit »

pipistrelle wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:36 am This is bad for Joe Biden, right?
:rotflmao:
There's a lot of things that need to change. One specifically? Police brutality.
--Colin Kaepernick
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Hit a record high of 70 degrees today-February 9-here. I was out yesterday, when it was in the mid-fifties, and people were golfing at the course near us. :o
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Lani

Weather Alerts

Post by Lani »

Hawaii is having damaging trade winds with gusts over 60 mph. Beaches are closing. Upset visitors.

It started suddenly last night. Very noisy! I could hear objects hitting buildings. That worried me, I didn't want to sleep near a window, and I didn't sleep much. In the morning I cleaned up the trash in my yard, no damage, but the gusts continue to causing damage. Fortunately, no power loss and toppled trees in my neighborhood area.

Garbage pick up is in the morning. Some people put out their garbage bins - most are now rolling around the neighborhood, dumping trash, and loud noises when they hit something. 3 rolled towards my fence this afternoon :mad: I tied down my bin to my fence early in the day so it wouldn't go walkabout.

The weekend will supposedly be calmer, but then ripping again next week.
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Lani

Weather Alerts

Post by Lani »

It's going on 11 pm, and the winds have gained strength. There are more power outages in Honolulu and across the island, getting closer me. Also 4 roofs were blown off near in my neighborhood as well as toppled trees. Another noisy night. And again I'm not sleeping near windows. :yawn:
Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Dave from down under

Weather Alerts

Post by Dave from down under »

Storm Shutters have their uses.,

Stay safe!
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Weather Alerts

Post by Greatgrey »

Very clever….

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

thru 2nd link above

AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

Very interesting!
Kendra

Weather Alerts

Post by Kendra »

No idea how long ago it started, but it's snowing like crazy and sticking so far to the cars. Thankfully if it gets real bad, the world won't fall apart outside of sometime on Tuesday getting the payroll folder from the office to work on it on Wednesday.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... -emergency
New Zealand is in a national state of emergency, as Cyclone Gabrielle batters the country, with floods trapping people on roofs, thousands displaced and landslides destroying homes in what officials have described as an “unprecedented” natural disaster.

“Cyclone Gabrielle is the most significant weather event New Zealand has seen in this century. The severity and the damage that we are seeing has not been experienced in a generation,” the prime minister, Chris Hipkins, said on Tuesday. “We are still building a picture of the effects of the cyclone as it continues to unfold. But what we do know is the impact is significant and it is widespread.”

About 2,500 people have been displaced so far, officials said on Tuesday afternoon – but that number may shift, as there are still large areas that are unreachable and cut off from telecommunications.

The country announced a national state of emergency on Tuesday as the scale of damage inflicted by the storm emerged.

The emergency management minister, Kieran McAnulty, said Gabrielle was “an unprecedented weather event”.
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

A side note: The country has known that this cyclone was moving to the northern island. Over the week prior to landfall they were preparing for a heavy hit. Costal areas had been under evacuation order as they were expecting a huge storm surge.
RTH10260

Weather Alerts

Post by RTH10260 »

Cyclone Gabrielle: child among four dead in New Zealand as 1,400 remain missing
Prime minister Chris Hipkins says there are ‘grave concerns’ for several of the missing as some regions remain cut off after storms

@tessairini
Wed 15 Feb 2023 04.29 GMT

There are grave concerns for several people who remain missing after severe storms in New Zealand, as Cyclone Gabrielle moves away from the country, leaving behind widespread damage, more than 10,000 displaced and at least four dead, including one child.

all details at https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/ ... ns-cut-off
Lani

Weather Alerts

Post by Lani »

Nothing like NZ here, but we've been having a lot of rain.

A few houses on steep hills and mountainsides have been hit with large boulders smashing into their homes. :shock: Currently, the rain is on and off, and the ground is saturated. More heavy rainstorms are arriving on Thursday and continuing through Monday. Lots of warnings about heavy rainfalls and likely flooding.

February & March are not good months for vacationers. (They get very grumpy.)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

We might get up to 6 inches through tomorrow night. We might not.
101010 :towel:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

We are going to set another record for high temperature today. It's going above 70. We set two record highs last week. It's been a weird winter. They were predicting above average snow this winter. We are now 15 inches below (but are getting precipitation in the form of rain).
Dave from down under

Weather Alerts

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-16/ ... /101978886

Lasting impacts from an enormous volcanic eruption a year ago may have a cooling and rainy influence on parts of Australia for up to eight years, according to scientists.

Key points:
The Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai undersea volcano erupted last January
It pumped a record-breaking amount of water vapour into the stratosphere
Scientists are tracking the impact on Australia's weather

In January 2022, the underwater volcano Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai erupted, shooting ash and other particles more than half way to space.

The eruption triggered a tsunami that reached heights of more than 19 metres above sea level, and created long lasting and vivid sunsets for several months following.
Dave from down under

Weather Alerts

An earthquake has struck near New Zealand's capital Wellington, as the country grapples with widespread landslides and flooding in the wake of former tropical cyclone Gabrielle.

The earthquake hit just hours after authorities announced that five people, including a child, had died in the aftermath of the cyclone, described as the country's "most destructive weather event in decades".

The magnitude-6.1 quake struck near Wellington at 8pm on Wednesday local time, according to New Zealand earthquake monitoring agency GeoNet, however, there were no immediate reports of damage or injury.

Here's a look at the situation facing residents and authorities in different parts of the country.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-15/ ... /101979346
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Weather Alerts

Post by northland10 »

northland10 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:35 am We might get up to 6 inches through tomorrow night. We might not.
Now we may get 4 to 7, or we may not.

I assume we will get something since there is snow on the radar around us and a big system coming at us. Nothing yet. Winter Storm Warnings are finicky that way.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Oh man, we used to have a member who lived in Christchurch, but it's been so long, I've forgotten his username. :blackeye:

The Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai undersea volcano ...
That was a wonderful day at the Australian Official Office of Inventing Funny Names for Things, when they came up with that one.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Weather Alerts

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Foggy wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:10 am
The Hunga Tonga-Hunga Ha'apai undersea volcano ...
That was a wonderful day at the Australian Official Office of Inventing Funny Names for Things, when they came up with that one.
I believe it is located right next to the Hunga Wella-Hunga Loosa male strip club.

Return to “General Stuff”