Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

MN-Skeptic

Re: Weather Alerts

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I find it amazing how a powerful hurricane will suck water back out to sea. Just eerie.

neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:56 am I find it amazing how a powerful hurricane will suck water back out to sea. Just eerie.

https://twitter.com/LarissaScott/status ... 2285458433
I don''t know the proper names for the parts of a hurricane. But the front side that pushes massive amounts of water in (storm surge), the back side is with the same force pulling water out on the back side. It's just a huge powerful rotating tornado, if you want to think of it that way.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

2 hours ago
length 45mins

SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

neonzx wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:07 pm
MN-Skeptic wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:56 am I find it amazing how a powerful hurricane will suck water back out to sea. Just eerie.

https://twitter.com/LarissaScott/status ... 2285458433
I don''t know the proper names for the parts of a hurricane. But the front side that pushes massive amounts of water in (storm surge), the back side is with the same force pulling water out on the back side. It's just a huge powerful rotating tornado, if you want to think of it that way.
All that water that is sucked out to sea will come roaring back in, and then some. Correct, neon?
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

It's getting bad out there.This not a good day for me to take a bike ride.

I opened my patio door by 2 inches -- this helps equalize the air pressure interior windows don't break.

Slim I am sure is have more action than what I am currently seeing.

But it will all be fine.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

:eek:

Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Stay safe everyone. Watching the coverage on CNN. I know they've been doing this for decades and know the ropes, but yikes!
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

If you are wondering why Slim has not posted any updates. Her and hubs are in Cape Coral.
ian-asshole1.png
ian-asshole1.png (262.14 KiB) Viewed 534 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Holy F*CK!!!!! Watch out, slim!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Crazy! Stay safe everyone!

Fort Myers:
► Show Spoiler
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Broward has sunshine and clouds, we got our worst part last night but it's nothing, nothing like what our west coast friends are going through.

Mike Seidel of the Weather Channel said this is his 91st Hurricane or named storm and this is the worst one ever.

Here's NBC2 covering Fort Myers, Cape Coral, Naples, Punta Gorda and more, live stream of the biggest hit:

Jim Cantore is taking a pounding in Punta Gorda on The Weather Channel.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Neonzx? Can you talk?
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
SuzieC
Verified:

Post by SuzieC »

Those video snippets are far more terrifying and dramatic than anything I have seen on CNN or the Weather Channel. Sharks swimming through the city streets? Apocalyptic.

Slim? Neon?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

While we are (rightly) focused on the storm in Florida, Canada is still dealing with Fiona.
In the days since post-tropical storm Fiona battered Atlantic Canada, the scope of devastation has become painfully clear for residents. The powerful derecho, the worst to ever hit the region, killed two people, flattened dozens of homes, washed land into the ocean and left hundreds of thousands in Nova Scotia, southern Newfoundland and Prince Edward Island without power. As residents look to the daunting cleanup and rebuilding efforts, experts says the hundreds of millions in damage highlights the need to build defensively against the effects of climate change.

“Unfortunately, the reality with climate change is that there’s going to be more extreme weather events. We’re going to have to think about how to make sure we’re ready for whatever comes at us,” prime minister Justin Trudeau told reporters as he witnessed the destruction in Nova Scotia. The federal government has dispatched nearly 600 Canadian Armed Forces soldiers to help with the cleanup and pledged immediate aid to residents.

Larger urban centres such as Halifax were largely spared the worst of the storm, but houses across the region were reduced to rubble and debris, roads washed away, and thousands of trees knocked town by uncharacteristically strong winds, which gusted at 190km/h at their peak.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
raison de arizona

Not everyday you see an outward opening steel door buckle inwards.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

I wasn't expecting that crashing noise. Be still my heart, I jumped.

Really gotta give the reporters credit where due, they have been out there on the front line all day long. That's a helluva storm there.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

CNN/Erin Burnett says coming up after next break that they'll have video from a storm chaser. I know they talked to one storm chaser earlier today, not sure if it will be the same one. Also, CNN's Randy Kay thought she saw an emergency vehicle with lights flashing, but when they focused in, it was a large van or whatever with their own lights flashing and it was actually a storm tracker outfit.
raison de arizona

Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

A youtuber I follow lives somewhat elevated and inland. His place is shelter for extended family, like ten parties. His structure is brick, windows protected with metal shutters, and he survived earlier storms (Irma?). He posted two days ago his preparations, showed how the ditches were starting already to fill with the first pre-storm rainshowers. His last video clip before hankering down showed extended standing water ankle deep across the farm and orchards. Next clip, during a short break in the winds he peeked out of the door and observed lots of toppled trees, roots not holding in the soggy ground.
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Apparently, Rumble tech support paid a house call on Tim Pool to help him keep his garbage stream running. Like that's a priority.

Sad about all the storm surge and so much wiped out. Naples, FL is a really pretty town, friends have a theatre there and went to their opening and a few shows. It's on a very Disney-like Main Street. It's a pretty wealthy town too as I recall. After seeing the flooding (5 feet in 5 minutes), it's going to be so sad to see tomorrow. Here's a video from 2021:

Meanwhile, Don Lemon is getting cranky in Orlando because Ian is moving so slowly, it's true that usually you get rain bands but then a break before the next band. But this storm just hovers so it's not ending. He literally took off his boot on camera and dumped the water out of it. :lol: Orlando is under a tornado warning until 1am. Orlando isn't built as strongly as other Florida cities (part of it is that developers paid off city government a while back) and is more vulnerable for flooding so this is going to be a rough few days for them.

Here's a family that got stuck at Disney... and had to change rooms. Wilderness Lodge is one of my favorite hotels on property, it's a beautiful resort.

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

I'm alive and kicking. *insert simple minds song*

I only have sporadic internet access right now.

Return to “General Stuff”