Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weather Alerts

raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Weather Alerts

Post by raison de arizona »

p0rtia wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:37 pm So much happening vis a vis the access to Pine Island. Revolt yesterday as word spread that the County had ordered a mandatory evac of Pine Island, while at the same time was stalled on talk of restoring access. Nine thousand homes on PI left to rot for months--not a happy prospect. Local earth-moving company said, essentially: Give us the contract, we'll have access within two weeks. This, and the calling campaign that instantly materialized, hopefully contributed to DeSantis today announcing that he had directed FDofT to establish access by Oct 8. County Manager said he wanted a window of 120 days to restore access to Pine Island and Estero Island (did not even know Estero had an island) but hopefully he has been shouted down. County Commissioner Chairman said "7 to 10 days". That ballpark is acceptable to residents. Plus, talk of "mandatory evac" was changed to "suggested". Huge problem with livestock with no water. Oy.

DeSantis Statement on Matlacha.jpg
Outstanding. I have no idea who truly deserves the credit for this, but if it is DeSantis, then kudos to him.
Ron DeSantis @GovRonDeSantis wrote: Construction on the Pine Island bridge has been completed today – just three days after construction began.

Happy to have the state step in and help get our Pine Island residents back on their feet.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:56 am Coming back from the post office, we discovered Denny’s had opened. Not too many people so we pulled in. It was grand slam or nothing and probably the best meal I’ve ever had in my life. While I’m here, is there anything I can get for the Grand Slam jury?

Still no power but they are getting the poles put back up today so maybe this weekend, fingers crossed. We’ve had water for a few days but under a boil order. We’ve been going to FEMA to get ice which is distributed by the national guard. Luckily we’ve had plenty of food so that was no problem and all the neighbors pulled together. I was careful not to wear any T-shirts that might piss somebody off, which is not my usual style but I’m just not going there this time.
Sorry to hear you are still without power, but glad you enjoyed your Grand Slam. :biggrin:
All reports are I've seen is that crews are working feverishly in the Cape 24/7 to restore service. My friend's ex-gf who owns a home in the Cape had power restored yesterday. They will get to you. Hang in there.

There is still a 9pm-6am curfew in effect for all of Lee County, correct? I've not heard any updates in several days.
Suranis

Weather Alerts

Post by Suranis »

Timelapse vid of Ian tearing up Fort Myers beach

Hic sunt dracones
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Weather Alerts

Post by jez »

Does anyone have an idea of how tall those 3 palms close by are? Looking at the fence near them, I would guesstimate about 5-7 feet? That was some deep ass water.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
p0rtia

Weather Alerts

Post by p0rtia »

Welp, the photos are in. Yard is trashed, as is a shed and all contents, but cottage and trailer did me proud: Some water damage to the floor in the cottage (I think, even though we were not inundated, that water collected underneath and reached the subfloor) and some roof damage to the trailer--but only the overlayment, not the actual roof, and there was no leaking inside. Pretty shocking to see, but I'm over it now and grateful. HEre's hoping FEMA comes through for me.

Inside, outside, inside, outside. A study in hurricane contrasts. Fucking 50 year old trailer and an old wooden fish shack on skids. But they did the job. Cause, y'know, only rich people live on those barrier islands.
IMG_6101.JPEG
IMG_6101.JPEG (130.65 KiB) Viewed 599 times
IMG_6100.JPEG
IMG_6100.JPEG (190.24 KiB) Viewed 599 times
IMG_6097.JPEG
IMG_6097.JPEG (128.99 KiB) Viewed 599 times
IMG_6095.JPEG
IMG_6095.JPEG (207.06 KiB) Viewed 599 times
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

p0rtia- :thumbsup: :biggrin: That's great!
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... r-AA12xPUz
How a solar-powered community withstood Hurricane Ian

The community is known as Babcock Ranch, situated just 20 minutes away from downtown Fort Myers, an area among those hit hardest by the storm. The community calls itself "the world's first solar-powered town." But what makes life so different for the roughly 4,600 residents? It was built on the basis of sustainability for a future of survival.

"When storms take aim at southwest Florida and evacuation orders are issued, residents of Babcock Ranch are at a distinct advantage," a representative for the community, Lisa Hall, told CBS News. "Storm safety and resiliency has been factored into every element of design and engineering of the town."

Babcock Ranch rests on higher ground than much of the surrounding area – at least 25 feet or more above sea level – which the ranch says is "beyond the reach of coastal storm surge." All of the buildings and structures in the community are developed to withstand winds of up to 145 mph, or what would be a mid-range Category 4 hurricane according to the Saffir-Simpson scale. Even the plants are able to withstand storms – the community relies on native flora that is generally better able to handle Florida's extreme weather and also reduce storm runoff and flooding.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

We have a family friend that lives in Fort Myers that we hadn't heard from until my brother got a text from her today. She was a little farther inland (close to Legends golf course) so we thought she should be OK but absolutely nobody had heard from her. My brother is going to talk to her tomorrow so we'll learn more but we're massively relieved to at least hear from her.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Weather Alerts

Post by neonzx »

Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:09 pm We have a family friend that lives in Fort Myers that we hadn't heard from until my brother got a text from her today. She was a little farther inland (close to Legends golf course) so we thought she should be OK but absolutely nobody had heard from her. My brother is going to talk to her tomorrow so we'll learn more but we're massively relieved to at least hear from her.
It's not that far inland. She's 6 milles as the crow-flies. I''m 12miles inland. It didn't matter, ian still kicked our butt. She likely was without power and internet -- and many cell towers were damaged so that would also make communications difficult, if not impossible, until services were restored.
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Shizzle Popped »

neonzx wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:21 pm
Shizzle Popped wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:09 pm We have a family friend that lives in Fort Myers that we hadn't heard from until my brother got a text from her today. She was a little farther inland (close to Legends golf course) so we thought she should be OK but absolutely nobody had heard from her. My brother is going to talk to her tomorrow so we'll learn more but we're massively relieved to at least hear from her.
It's not that far inland. She's 6 milles as the crow-flies. I''m 12miles inland. It didn't matter, ian still kicked our butt. She likely was without power and internet -- and many cell towers were damaged so that would also make communications difficult, if not impossible, until services were restored.
I just got off the phone with my brother and he had just been on the phone with her. Everything is more or less fine. Her place was built to hurricane standards, her shutters were closed and she had sandbagged. I gather she had some very minor water incursion around a few windows and her pool enclosure was trashed but the overall damage was very minor. Whew.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
p0rtia

Weather Alerts

Post by p0rtia »

This is the Go Fund me for my dear friend Tara's sister Devon. A worthy recipient if you have a few Ian dollars to spare. It was Devon and Tara's mom, Lorrainne, also a dear friend, who explained to me that even if one could only spare a dollar, it was both meaningful to the recipient and essential for the good of the soul.

https://gofund.me/350b733e
Volkonski
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Volkonski »

keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Weather Alerts

Post by keith »

Swathes of central Victoria are on flood watch and some towns are on mandatory evacuation after 3 days of incessant rain.

It will be interseting (not) to watch the flood waters move down toward the Murray.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Today is the first day since sometime in April that it isn't even going up to 60° here in Rawly. Summer is truly over, and the bad months are coming. :( It's sunny and clear, but ... chilly.

I discussed with ol' Wifehorn, and we're not moving to Australia a little after the autumnal equinox every year and then moving back a little after the vernal equinox. Endless spring and summer, my kind of world. :P

She likes cold weather. :roll:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Weather Alerts

Post by sugar magnolia »

Low tonight, 31. High Saturday predicted to be 82. The high today (58) will be lower than the low (64) Friday night.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

It's also going down to about freezing tonight. Also, snow in the forecast for the morning. :eek:

We've had two glorious weekends. Took the grandson to a fall festival the first weekend; went out leaf peeping and to Ft. Ligonier Days this last weekend. This coming weekend the weather's going back to near 70, and we're going to a Christmas craft show one county down. No complaints.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topst ... r-AA136sFZ
Up to 18 inches of lake-effect snow fell in northern Wisconsin and up to 14 inches of snow fell in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan on Monday.

Marquette, Michigan, saw record snowfall of 9.1 inches Monday.

Chicago received its first snow of the season on Monday and Indianapolis saw its first snowfall on Tuesday.

Lake-effect snow also fell in northern Indiana, with some areas getting as much as 4 inches.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Kriselda Gray »

It was 24 here when I woke up this morning, with a high of 45 predicted. By Friday, we're expecting a high of 82 and a low of 55.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Greetings from The Land of Blue Tarps.

Finally, our power is back and we have semi-reliable internet but what a long, strange trip it's been.

We were very lucky, no water in the house, (comparatively) little damage and we are able to stay put. So many people lost everything. I lost a tree (that I hated anyway).

Our pool cage was damaged, the frame bent, so now the question is...do we file a claim knowing that, at the least, our insurance will triple if not outright cancelled, or do we fix the damage ourselves...and still get outright cancelled.

My biggest challenge has been keeping hubs in line. He's been ill for a while and is being worked up for leukemia* so cross your fingers for him (he has a bone marrow bx next week) but he still thinks he should be outside moving crap around and is very unhappy that I won't let him go outside and play with the other boys in the neighborhood.

More later.

*His father passed from it.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:57 pm My biggest challenge has been keeping hubs in line. He's been ill for a while and is being worked up for leukemia* so cross your fingers for him (he has a bone marrow bx next week) but he still thinks he should be outside moving crap around and is very unhappy that I won't let him go outside and play with the other boys in the neighborhood.
Completely aside from the leukemia ( :pray:) my heart goes out to that man.

If the other boys in the neighborhood were outside after a storm, playing and fixing stuff and using tools like manly men, and I couldn't go outside and help, with my tools, which I know how to use, that would be worser, in many ways, than the prospect of leukemia.

Honestly. I'd be ready to put up a hell of a fight against leukemia. :boxing: My friends like Sugar M and P'girl and many others have put up a hell of a fight when bad medicine comes to you. I need three total joint replacements, and I'm going to fight like a girl to get back afterward. You betcha.

But being stuck inside when the other boys in the neighborhood are outside? That would be horrible.

You tell him, I sympathize even if I can't help. :bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Weather Alerts

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Hubs sounds like Hubby. May they not be in a room together talking about their wives not "letting" them play outside together. :bighug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Weather Alerts

Post by Slim Cognito »

Off Topic
It's hard on both of us. Nothing makes him happier than tearing shit up, and all his friends are out there with big power tools...

But he's so weak from anemia, he can barely walk across the yard, and he's been on blood thinners for a couple of decades now so I just can't risk it. Just mowing the yard wipes him out for the rest of the day.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Foggy
Dick Tater

Weather Alerts

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and there's nothing worse than feeling helpless. I know y'all remember, Mr. Cognito is a biker and a motorcycle mechanic and a guy who knows how to use power tools. What he's going through is my personal vision of Hell. I have another one, which is being forced to watch golf on the Tee Vee ... with commercials. Actually, I probably have several versions of Hell. But the one where everyone on the block is outside working and I'm stuck inside is a bad one.

Return to “General Stuff”