Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
mojosapien
Occupation: Desktop support. Retired juror for the next three years, thanks.
Verified:

Re: Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by mojosapien »

Is there a Transgendered (Youth?) thread here so it doesn't mess up "Right Wing Low Lifes"?
Think like a fortune cookie. ©2022-Mojosapien
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

No, apparently not, but you're welcome to start one! :biggrin:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

mojosapien wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:22 pm Is there a Transgendered (Youth?) thread here so it doesn't mess up "Right Wing Low Lifes"?
You finally figured out topics?
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Hey Foggy, saw this story and immediately thought of you. Please DO NOT take the NyQuil Chicken or Sleepy Chicken Challenge, even though poultry is in your lineage. Just wanted to be sure you and Wifehorn weren't tempted by peer pressure from the other roosters. Thank you.

Also, not sure if you've seen the Miki Booth topic, but wanted to send sympathies on the loss of fellow fowl Cinnamon, who after 16 years finally escaped the hell, abuse, and birtherism and has gone to glory where the living is easy and there's no sign of Fred or Miki Booth. There were several times it really seemed the Mighty 699th would need to send a rescue mission of flying wiener dogs into Oklahoma. Back on Fogbow 1.0, there was a spirited discussion about Cinnamon (and Miki) -- not sure if Realist actually called her. Link is https://formerly.thefogbow.com/forum/vi ... 0#p1231105. Lots of the pix are member's only; the Cinnamon photos were too sensitive for non members.
Give her a call, Realist! :P And when you do, please ask about Cinnamon, she hasn't mentioned that turkey in far too long.
Miki Booth, (918) 678-4838, Wyandotte — Public Records ...
clustrmaps.com
The phone number (918) 678-4838 belongs to Miki
Back to the Nyquil Chicken Challenge -- (I say, I say, keep up there boy --) :lol:
FDA warns against potentially deadly ‘NyQuil Chicken Challenge’
By Emily Lefroy September 20, 2022 2:43pm Updated

The US Food and Drug Administration is warning against a social media challenge which involves people coating their poultry in NyQuil. Called the “NyQuil Chicken Challenge,” users on social media are covering their meat in the over-the-counter medication, which is used to treat flu symptoms, colds and allergies. Unsurprisingly, the FDA warned it could have very dangerous outcomes — not just if it’s ingested but from the cooking process.

“Boiling a medication can make it much more concentrated and change its properties in other ways,” the FDA explained in a warning, adding that even inhaling the medication’s vapors while cooking could cause high levels of the drugs to enter your body. “It could also hurt your lungs,” the warning continued. “Put simply: Someone could take a dangerously high amount of the cough and cold medicine without even realizing it.”

It’s unclear why the FDA only now issued the warning about the challenge, since videos have been circulating online for months. In the clips, people cook a chicken breast and pour large amounts of the liquid medication — which contains acetaminophen, dextromethorphan HBr and doxylamine succinate — into the pan, coating and submerging the meat in it.

The FDA noted the social media trend relied on “peer pressure” with “online video clips of people misusing nonprescription medications and encouraging viewers to do so too.” Overdosing on NyQuil can cause symptoms such as seizures, severe dizziness, liver problems and breathing problems, just to name a few and can be potentially fatal.
https://nypost.com/2022/09/20/fda-warns ... SocialFlow

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:45 am Hey Foggy, saw this story and immediately thought of you. Please DO NOT take the NyQuil Chicken or Sleepy Chicken Challenge, even though poultry is in your lineage. Just wanted to be sure you and Wifehorn weren't tempted by peer pressure from the other roosters. Thank you.
The FDA warning was targeted at young people, not those of us in our age range. :biggrin:

Kinda like the Tide Pod challenge.

What happened to the good ole days with fun and helpful challenges like the Ice Water Bucket dumped over the head and for a good cause?

Kids. :roll: Can't live with em, can't shoot em.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I got rid of 'em. :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Well, okay, not totally rid. We're going down to Wilmington on Saturday. :biggrin:

So Orlylicious and neonzx, thanks for recommending I try Tide pods in my Nyquil chicken, that's gonna be a great condiment.

Cinnamon? :?: Did I know a Cinnamon? :confuzzled: :shrug:

Doesn't ring a bell. If I ever drink another beer, I'll drink to her.

:bar:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Of course you know Cinnamon, Miki and Fred Booth's turkey!

You've got to remember this beautiful photo of Miki and Cinnamon all the way back in 2012 -- the turkey made it another decade.

Miki Cinnamon.JPG
Miki Cinnamon.JPG (78.35 KiB) Viewed 977 times

cinnamon.JPG
cinnamon.JPG (47.13 KiB) Viewed 977 times

Thinking of this as a profile pic as a tribute to Cinnamon, perhaps The Fogbow's Favourite Turkey™

Cinnamon 2022.JPG
Cinnamon 2022.JPG (72.04 KiB) Viewed 977 times

Cinnamon and Buddy.JPG
Cinnamon and Buddy.JPG (168.29 KiB) Viewed 977 times

What a difference 10 years makes. She looks so much older and sicker. And so does Cinnamon.

Miki and Cinnamon.JPG
Miki and Cinnamon.JPG (134.04 KiB) Viewed 977 times

There are tons more photos of Cinnamon if you need more.

But gosh, now thinking about it, wonder if Miki didn't know any better and when Cinnamon was sick gave her some Nyquil Chicken with Tide Pod Biscuits? Miki doesn't read warnings, she probably saw it on Truth Social and thought to try it with Cinnamon.
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh. Oh yeah, Cinnamon. :biggrin:

Oh well. Gonna miss that bird.

But not for long now that I'm putting Tide pods in my Nyquil chicken.

Extra crispy. :sick:
Luke

Post by Luke »

Cinnamon always thought so highly of you, Foggy. Although she did hope from time to time that you'd rescue her from Fred and Miki and her turkey dreams were shattered.

Fred and Miki drove from Oklahoma to Ohio to visit Miki's sister Maddie, they brought their dogs for a 9-hour drive with a hamburger lunch in between. It's nice Miki packed a jigsaw puzzle in the container behind Mac and Buddy for something for them to do on the drive.

You remember Mac and Buddy, right?

Mac Buddy.jpg
Mac Buddy.jpg (299.92 KiB) Viewed 930 times

Good travelers. 9 hours with a hamburger 🍔 lunch in between.

Miki Booth 2d
A great week to look forward to with my sister Maddie Howard and John Howard and Brother Tad Snyder and niece Bernadette Snyder. ❤️

Great being with my sister Maddie and BIL John. So happy to see her after 2 long years. I sure needed her for my comfort zone after an unsteady few weeks. All is great now. Thank you friends, for your love, kind words and support. I am richly blessed.*

Maddie Miki.JPG
Maddie Miki.JPG (163.4 KiB) Viewed 930 times

* Miki definitely meant this about you and Wifehorn too also.

Here's Fred and Miki. Bless their hearts, you can just tell they are still shattered about Cinnamon but struggling to putting on a brave face and front since the trip had been previously planned. Should they swing by your place on the way back? Do you have room for Mac and Buddy too?

Fred Miki.JPG
Fred Miki.JPG (87.59 KiB) Viewed 930 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn and I are going down to Wilmington in the morning mañana to see Numbah Two Son in his new apartment, and bringing supplies.

Tried to talk ol' Wifehorn into leaving today, there's a Trump rally in Wilmington tonight we wouldn't want to miss, but no, she's washing her hair tonight, and by some weird coincidence, SO AM I. So that's weird.

I guess we have to miss the Trump rally. Too bad, too. Ted Budd is gonna be there. He's been trying to distance himself from Trump, but Trump does not allow that kind of malarkey.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

A Mystery, I Haz One

I am the proud owner of Edison, the Man and His Work (1926) by George S. Bryan. I have one of the original copies of the book, not in perfect shape but not torn or missing anything.

The question is, does the "S." stand for Sloan (in which case it was written by my paternal grandfather) or Sands, in which case I spent a little money for a book that is still pretty interesting and well written.

Google Books and Google Authors and goog everything and all the other searches I've done have turned out to be not 100% conclusive. Just when I'm about to give up and decide there are too many references to the book being in the list of books written by George Sands Bryan (the wrong one), I dig down and they tell me that Sands also wrote The Naval Hydrographic Office (1946), which I happen to know for a genuine 100% true fact was written by my grandfather (we called him "Dee").

My dad knows nothing about it, but it was written two years before he was born, and Dee was not a bragadocious man. He could very well have written it and not made a big deal about it later. George Sands Bryan apparently wrote some biographies back then.

Dee was the chair of the Electrical Engineering and Physics department at the US Naval Academy in 1926, so he certainly had some interest in the subject matter (and Edison was still alive - there's some mention in the book that the author wrote him and received a reply, but no further information). And it IS included on my grandfather's Google Authors page, along with the Hydrographic Office and a piece called "Radio Manual for the Instruction of Midshipmen" which he supervised rather than actually wrote, but he has three credits and this book is one of them.

The hard copy (I decided not to wait for it to come out on Kindle :lol:) is absolutely maddening - it has no place where the full name is spelled out. It has no "About the Author" page, but it has an "About the Typeface" page! I would give it one star, except they didn't even have stars in 1926!

Anyway, my brother out in Corvallis has a buddy in the Library of Congress, so he's going to help me out. If any of you are interwebz sleuths, please feel free to dive in.

Sloan, or Sands? :think: :confuzzled:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Does the Library of Congress have a hint to offer? A trip to D.C. and spend hours thumbing thru index cards in long boxes? With a detour to protest J6 inmates, perhaps :twisted:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I have already bet my brother that the Library of Congress has no more information in its 1926 card catalog than I have on an original copy of the book itself, but we shall see. My brother thinks they may have some additional information. He has done a little poking around today and agrees with me that it's a good mystery!

I suppose that in the end, the only way I can sell myself completely is to do an analysis of the writing style in something I know my grandfather wrote, the piece about the Hydrographic Office. It's 9 pages single-spaced, so it should be enough text to read one, then read the other, then decide in my own personal brainbone whether I think the same person authored both pieces.

Which is detective work in its own way, and was part of the plot of a Nero Wolfe novel by Rex Stout.
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/ ... &pg=PA1751

a Bryan, George Sands, 1979 -

This is your guy:

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Is it possible that George Sands Bryan and George Sloan Bryan are the same person? Do you have birth/death certificates showing the name Sloan? If so, is it possible that he just liked Sands better and started using that?
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

No, they are not the same person, as Eurobot has shown; Sands was a prolific author, and my grandfather was a career Navy officer with an interest in electrical engineering.

But Eurobot has not yet come across the quandaries, and don't go for the simple answer without pushing the boundaries - I gave a link already that says my grandfather wrote it, but the converse is also true - Google searches say that George Sands Bryan wrote The Naval Hydrographic Office (1946), but he did not write that one. My grandfather was Chief of the Hydrographic Office throughout WWII. I think people credited this book to George Sands Bryan out of laziness.

But I won't be terribly disappointed if Sands wrote it. It's still a good addition to my library.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My brother was Phi Beta Kappa at University of Oregon, and is a software engineer for Hewlett-Packard. He's a smart feller. I sent him a couple texts this morning about this, but he didn't get back to me until late afternoon. Why?

:mrgreen:

He's as competitive as I am. He started out thinking he'd solve the problem in five minutes and show me how to do research online. But I had given him a few places to look, and he went deep into the weeds all day before he finally texted me back, "Good mystery!" :lol:

He's never gonna admit how hard he tried to prove it conclusively one way or the other, but I know. :lol: Heck, I have an original copy of the book and I still can't prove 100% who wrote it. :confuzzled:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:53 pm No, they are not the same person, as Eurobot has shown; Sands was a prolific author, and my grandfather was a career Navy officer with an interest in electrical engineering.

But Eurobot has not yet come across the quandaries, and don't go for the simple answer without pushing the boundaries - I gave a link already that says my grandfather wrote it, but the converse is also true - Google searches say that George Sands Bryan wrote The Naval Hydrographic Office (1946), but he did not write that one. My grandfather was Chief of the Hydrographic Office throughout WWII. I think people credited this book to George Sands Bryan out of laziness.

But I won't be terribly disappointed if Sands wrote it. It's still a good addition to my library.
1) didn't one of those entries for Sloan say he was born i 1924 or something? And he wrote a book in 1926? Sounds fishy, but I may have skimmed too casually.

2) Are you telling us that your Grandfather is responsible for the sea temperature anomaly that confuses the heck out of climate change deniers to this day? Way to go Foggy! :thumbsup:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I suddenly realized how to solve this for good. I only have one other writing sample of my grandfather, and it's not a book, it's an essay. Comparing that to a biography would be difficult.

But this book is very well written, with a foreword, several informative appendices, and an excellent index (if you know anyone who does indexing, it's not easy). And I can almost certainly obtain one of the biographies written by George Sands Bryan. If the same author wrote both, it will be a lot more obvious when comparing two biographies.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

I searched Worldshare for Bryan, George Sloan and Bryan, George Sands. The Edison book came up for both names. I searched Voila (the Canadian National Library catalogue) and it shows that George Sands Bryan was the author of the Edison book. :think: :think:
Attachments
EA06F8D3-2485-4279-A7BE-42F0E6B58929.png
EA06F8D3-2485-4279-A7BE-42F0E6B58929.png (63.18 KiB) Viewed 775 times
CD48FBE2-304A-42CD-9271-63A98E4AFBA8.png
CD48FBE2-304A-42CD-9271-63A98E4AFBA8.png (25.87 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, y'know Jem is a professional librarian!

But wait, is this another instance of the best information being found in the wilds of Canuckistan? Or simply the most definitively wrong?
:P :think: :lol:

The book is nearly 100 years old, and may have been misattributed due to the many books written by G. Sands Bryan. But thanks, Jemcanada2, I will add that to my report for the relatives. I admit G. Sands Bryan is probably the true author. Probably.

Today I will order a biography I know was written by G. Sands Bryan, and then I'll know for sure.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Maybenaut wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:02 pm Is it possible that George Sands Bryan and George Sloan Bryan are the same person? Do you have birth/death certificates showing the name Sloan? If so, is it possible that he just liked Sands better and started using that?
Well, the birth/death certificates do not always help. My grandmother, on various records, had as middle names Catherine, Christine, and Kathryn. As my mother and aunts had not been able to help with the mystery (they were unsure themselves), I got a copy of the birth certificate from Kansas, as they actually had a copy. So, for her middle name, it was listed as:

C.

:doh:
101010 :towel:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”