Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

Us spousal units can be handy like that. Give Wifehorn a hug for us.
Annrc
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Annrc »

:bighug: oh my! Thank heavens for Wifehorn!
p0rtia

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by p0rtia »

I'm gonna call Wifehorn the first time I get hospitalized to the point of dysfunction.

Or Slim. I admit, Slim is closer.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

She's so awesome she doesn't realize how awesome she is. :biggrin:

The only time it caused any stress was back in the day, when she would suddenly look around and say, "Hey, how come nobody else is working as hard as I am?" :confuzzled: :mad:

And I would have to explain to her, "Nobody can work as hard as you do. It isn't possible. I can't. But I'm pluggin' along, trying to keep up with you as best I can somehow." She took about three days in our entire marriage where she didn't do anything all day, and she was so mad at herself for shirking! :lol:

But it's been a long time since any of that ... :lovestruck:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

News Breaking:

Got a call from my surgeon's team, my left shoulder replacement surgery will be June 22, just two days later than I'd hoped for.

So that's excellent news. This weekend was a small setback on my therapy, but I'll catch back up again pronto.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Brava, Wifehorn!!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by AndyinPA »

Glad you are home! My husband wasn't a diabetic, but when he was in the hospital for pneumonia several years ago, they gave him insulin. Lots of things really mess that up, even if you aren't diabetic.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Andy, I'd go through ten weekends like that if it would bring your husband back. I'm still just heartbroken, and I never even met him.

But all I can do is what I can do, so ol' Wifehorn and I just walked 2 miles, talking about what happened this weekend. And apparently our niece told her that the main hospital probably had plenty of empty beds, but not enough staffing to take care of anybody else. There's a nationwide nursing shortage, and we should have remembered that.

On the bright side, I walked two miles today, and didn't have any heart issues that I know of. :?

And I have an appt. with my primary care doctor tomorrow at 9:40 a.m. to get started on referrals to a cardiologist and a gastrointestinal doc. Yes, I self-discharged from a hospital, which is supposed to be a no-no, even though we felt (still feel) we were justified. No, that doesn't mean I am neglecting my healthcare in the slightest. I have gone over everything the doctors said with ol' Wifehorn and we know exactly what their concerns were, so I don't have any problem relating all that to a new doctor. Hell, if they had said Saturday night "We're putting you in an ambulance and taking you to the main hospital for the echo cardiogram," I would have said, "OK, let's go."

But sit there for three days getting sicker while I wait? :fingerwag: :nope: :talktothehand:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I still think it's kind of eerie that both me and my 95 year old father were prescribed echo cardiograms on the same day, 300 miles apart. He got his, I didn't, but there was a possibility that we'd both be undergoing identical tests simultaneously. Weird.

Just got word, he's got a new medication to regulate his heart rhythm, and they'll know if it's working early tomorrow. If so, he'll have to go back through the rehab in his retirement community all over again, and it might be another six weeks before he sleeps in his own bed again. Not too happy about that, but he's awake and alert and eating ... and we'll talk to him in an hour or so.
humblescribe
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by humblescribe »

That is wunnerful news, Foggy!

A quick Goggle search of hypermagnesemia says that chomping too many antacids can lead to this state. It is usually associated with renal issues. But our bodies are strange and curious in the ways that they try to regulate the cocktail of chemicals that we ingest or that are created through enzymatic activity. And since you have Type II diabetes, that may have been a wildcard that made things worser.

One would have thought that a routine blood test would have revealed that your Mg levels were through the roof. But I am no medico, ER or otherwise.

I would not be so hard on the CNA. These people do a lot of the dirty work and the mundane work in hospitals. I think it is assuming too much for a person who probably just wants to deliver the patients' meals and snacks to connect the dots between no sugar for my convefe (I am a diabetic) and the sugar in JELL-O and apple juice. I believe that when my mom was in the hospital years ago there was some sort of notation not only in her chart but also on the white board by her bed that listed the nurses and CNAs and any special instructions.

Best of luck with the echo. It is fun! The worst part is the wait for the results (unless the preliminary results indicate you have one foot in the grave.)
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
AndyinPA
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by AndyinPA »

Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 5:25 pm Andy, I'd go through ten weekends like that if it would bring your husband back. I'm still just heartbroken, and I never even met him.

Everybody has to deal with his/her own stuff. Ten weekends of that in this world wouldn't bring him back. I have a certain degree of faith in the theory of fate. Unfortunately, that was his fate.

I do not remember if I read this somewhere a long, long time ago or not, I've thought it for so long. People ask why me? I ask why not me?
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I know. And in the end, we all do share the same Fate. No way of avoiding that. ;)

And I have seen at least three ladies here on Fogbow lose their husbands. Patagoniagirl and MN-Skeptic before you. I can't imagine how I would survive it if anything happened to ol' Wifehorn, or to one of my boys. I'm not as strong as the ladies here.

And I guess I left a big misimpression, which I need to correct publicly, but I am never going back to that hospital, so that's not where I am getting my second shoulder surgery. Ol' Wifehorn allowed the ambulance to take me to WakeMed North because it's only 2 miles from my house, and she had no idea what was going to happen.

But now she swears she's never going to allow me back to any WakeMed. I'm a Duke Health guy, and I will have my second shoulder surgery in Duke Health Raleigh, where I have never had anything but totally professional care. My doctor did an amazing, outstanding, excellent job on my right shoulder, and I have no hesitation letting him do the other one.

I have an appointment today with my primary care provider, and I will follow all the advice they gave me in the hospital, but ... I'd probably still be in one of the two WakeMed hospitals this morning, if my wife hadn't busted me out. :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Oh yeah, pro tip:

If you ever have to get in an ambulance, even if you can walk (I could walk and the two ladies were not looking forward to carrying me down stairs and out the door, so I walked out by myself), do NOT do it when it's raining like Hell and it's 50° outside, and you're wearing pajamas, because those horrible ladies are going to make you sit on the stretcher and lie down in the goddamned pouring rain and cold, and it takes a little bit of time to adjust the stretcher right before they can put it in the truck, and it should have been a tipoff right then that I was entering some kind of evil Twilight Zone episode.

Now you know. :biggrin:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 7:52 am Oh yeah, pro tip:

If you ever have to get in an ambulance, even if you can walk (I could walk and the two ladies were not looking forward to carrying me down stairs and out the door, so I walked out by myself), do NOT do it when it's raining like Hell and it's 50° outside, and you're wearing pajamas, because those horrible ladies are going to make you sit on the stretcher and lie down in the goddamned pouring rain and cold, and it takes a little bit of time to adjust the stretcher right before they can put it in the truck, and it should have been a tipoff right then that I was entering some kind of evil Twilight Zone episode.

Now you know. :biggrin:
If you called for EMS here, a fire truck comes with. So there are hunky young guys to assist the EMTs .

Now you know.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:34 am
If you called for EMS here, a fire truck comes with. So there are hunky young guys to assist the EMTs .

Now you know.
And that phone number is...... :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
neonzx

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 9:33 am
neonzx wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:34 am

Now you know.
And that phone number is...... :biggrin:
It is 9-1-1 of course. LOL

Our fire and EMS crews run 72-hour shifts. They sleep and eat there. And most stuff they deal with are false alarms/calls. So they are bored thus tagging along with the EMS crew where their extra manpower is sometimes needed. 8-)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

My doc says hello. She already had full reports from this weekend. Gave me some referrals, adjusted a couple meds.

Fizzikal therapy at 2:00. :roll:

I DROVE MY CAR TODAY. :fiesta: :blissy:
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 12:19 pm My doc says hello. She already had full reports from this weekend. Gave me some referrals, adjusted a couple meds.

Fizzikal therapy at 2:00. :roll:

I DROVE MY CAR TODAY. :fiesta: :blissy:
:thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Driving is huge in becoming less of a burden on ol' you know who. She has a webinar today that she really wants to be in, and it would have been a pain in the butt if she had to drive me down to fizzikal therapy, sit around for an hour BSing with the receptionist lady, and then drive me home

Here's how her life is going:

In addition to all the hassle taking care of the poor ol' rooster, today she got five, count 'em, five new insurance clients. Each of which takes a minimum hour of work just to make sure she understands everything about the new client, and then even more work to generate quotes, discuss the quotes, select a plan and enroll her new client.

Open enrollment has been closed for several months, but her work never stops, because of SEPs: special enrollment periods. They're special.

And I can run errands, go shopping, maintain cars, and a lot more that means she doesn't have to drive.

So if I can drive a car again, she gets to live her life again. I think she said, "I don't like being you!"

:shrug:

It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. :P
Shizzle Popped
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Shizzle Popped »

Foggy wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:56 am
Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:40 am Ask your GE about metformin. My cousin's husband was on metformin for many years and developed a bleeding ulcer because of it.
I will do that.
I left the hospital with a prescription for one famotidine 20mg twice a day. When I asked what it was for they said I needed it if I didn't want an ulcer. I was told that since I already take two Celebrex a day (anti-inflammatory) the addition of the metformin would almost guarantee I was going to get an ulcer. You can get this stuff over the counter but ask your doc about it.
"Let us tenderly and kindly cherish, therefore, the means of knowledge. Let us dare to read, think, speak, and write."
John Adams
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I will definitely do that, but I will ask my gastro doctor, who I will learn about soon.

My primary care provider is a wonderful lady who really cares about me (in contrast to my last one :mad:) but she's a Nurse Practitioner, and I wouldn't expect her to be any kind of expert on what medications might cause what results.

She did take me off 81 mg aspirin (aka baby aspirin), my shoulder surgeon had me on that following surgery, but it's an NSAID, a type of drug that can cause stomach irritation. And she prescribed pantaprazole for nausea.

But otherwise she and I both want to see what the experts say, so she gave me (will give me) three referrals - a cardiologist, a gastro doc, and either a urologist or a nephrologist, I was diagnosed with some stupid kidney disease more than 20 years ago, and it hasn't bothered me but nobody has looked at it for more than 20 years, so just to be safe.

But I won't get the answer on metformin for a while ...
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Luke »

Hunky young guys to assist the EMTs? That is definitely information, um, Foggy will keep in mind. :P

In honor of your driving, Foggy -- David Letterman is 76 today (!). In this clip, he goes fast food joyriding with Zsa Zsa Gabor. You could recreate this with Orly Taitz!

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
neonzx

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

orlylicious wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:44 pm Hunky young guys to assist the EMTs? That is definitely information, um, Foggy will keep in mind. :P
LOL -- hows that saying go "thick thighs saves lives"? Let's hear it for the boys. A salute to our firefighters.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Oh here's a piece of relatively good news, now that I did the math on my calendar.

As we know even though no one is counting, today is 23 days since the grand opening of my right shoulder. I'm "in post-op" (under post-operative care) for six weeks after the surgery, at which point I am essentially fully healed. That date is May 2, although my final appointment with my surgeon (which is also labeled post-op) isn't until May 15.

I am not a slave to the doctor's calendar. My arm will be fully recovered by May 2. That's mah final rulin' on the subject. Lemme do some more fizzikal therapy. Outta my way.

And now we know the date of the grand opening of my left shoulder, which will be June 22nd.

A simple exercise in calendar math reveals that I will have 51 days, also known as 7 weeks and 2 days, during which I will have a fully healed and eminently functional right arm, before I get the left one done. Basically, all of May and the first three weeks of June, during which time I will be able to swim in the ocean, boogie board, swim at my local swim club, and do things like yard work and garage stuff and hopefully, travel to Bathysphere or wherever it is to see my pa.

Today my yard desperately needs a haircut and even though I have a powered lawn mower, it's not something I can do yet. My surgeon would skin me alive for even thinking about doing that, 23 days after he was using a power saw to carve up mah personal shoulder bones. I have to let ol' Wifehorn do it. :mad:

But the day is coming ... :thumbsup:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by keith »

Maybe you could bribe the Doctor to say that even though your wings are fully functional and healed, you are permanently unfit for lawnmower duty?
Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”