Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Given the time difference between here and the Left Coast, comin' right up on the 21st anniversary of the time we were having Christmas dinner in SoCal with our best friends and their family, a lovely occasion in our home in Football Ranch (okay, Foothill Ranch, I was a football fan back then) ... anyway, having a wonderful dinner and a good time ...

... and our idiot cat Rocky fell between two of the railings on the second floor hallway, and ...

SPLAT! :eek: :shock: :eek: :shock:

OMFG, I thought my cat was dead. Right in the middle of Christmas dinner, with small children to see it. I went over, and he was lights out, laid out on the floor. Totally unconscious. :8ball:

If you knew Rocky even a little bit ('course you didn't know him), you know he didn't land on all four feet, like a cat. Not Rocky. He didn't know how to do cat stuff. He couldn't jump up on the kitchen counter, he'd go splat into the side.

He used to sleep on ol' Wifehorn's computer monitor, the old CRT type, and he'd fall asleep and fall off the back of the monitor and down to the floor. And his sister Molly-Polly would look at him like, have a little self-respect, dude. :doh:

:lol:

But anyway, he just had the wind knocked out of him. He was fine, and he lived to perform many more klutz moves before finally passing at a ripe old age. He's buried with honors in our back yard. ❤️

And to this very day, any of our cats does something just so dumb, the other cats do faceplants, we call that "pulling a Rocky". :lol:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Annrc
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Annrc »

Love it.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I can laugh now. At the time, I honestly thought my cat was dead of stupidity in the middle of Christmas dinner, with small children present. Who all loved him tremendously. And I was going to have to explain somehow that Rocky, who was everybody's lover boy, he even loved our hamster, was dead. On Christmas.

OMFG, I get chills just thinking about it. :eek:

So there's a reason it's etched upon my brainbone.

But yeah, funny 21 years later. :lol:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
pipistrelle

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by pipistrelle »

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yikes. :(

Gotta pack and go, Bathysphere or wherever.

Or the future.
Annrc
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Annrc »

Foggy wrote: Sun Dec 25, 2022 9:00 pm I can laugh now. At the time, I honestly thought my cat was dead of stupidity in the middle of Christmas dinner, with small children present. Who all loved him tremendously. And I was going to have to explain somehow that Rocky, who was everybody's lover boy, he even loved our hamster, was dead. On Christmas.

OMFG, I get chills just thinking about it. :eek:

So there's a reason it's etched upon my brainbone.

But yeah, funny 21 years later. :lol:
Chills, I can only imagine.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:27 pm Put [my new Tile®] on a pet's collar.
I found the perfect place for it.

Ol' Wifehorn and Numbah One Son made a lot of homemade chocolate chip cookies.

Gotta keep track of the whereabouts of that bag. :?

Plus, I can ring the Tile when I need a cookie. :towel:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yanno, there was a day when New Year's Eve meant alcohol, marijuana, and parties.

Somehow I survived all that and tonight will be quiet.

Well, except for ol' Wifehorn yelling at the Tee Vee during the Peach Bowl.

:cussing:

unless Ohio State wins, then

:fiesta: :cheer2: :fiesta: :cheer2: :fiesta:

Or the future.
humblescribe
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by humblescribe »

The Ohio State? Ick.

The ghost of Wayne Woodrow Hayes. Sober fans in downtown Columbus pelting fans of the visiting teams with random debris as they make their way to the horseshoe. Drunken fans hurling dangerous objects at visiting fans if the Uckeyes lost. Uh uh. Nope. :nope: A much better experience to be had is in South Bend or Lincoln. Those fans are classy, even in defeat.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by northland10 »

humblescribe wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:17 pm The Ohio State? Ick.

The ghost of Wayne Woodrow Hayes. Sober fans in downtown Columbus pelting fans of the visiting teams with random debris as they make their way to the horseshoe. Drunken fans hurling dangerous objects at visiting fans if the Uckeyes lost. Uh uh. Nope. :nope: A much better experience to be had is in South Bend or Lincoln. Those fans are classy, even in defeat.
When I lived in Evanston, you could always tell when Northwestern was playing that school from Ohio at home. No other visiting team was as loud and obnoxious while walking around the neighborhood. Neither were the home team fans. Their biggest loud and obnoxious moments were Dillo day (in May) and when they celebrated their loss records in the late 70s/early 80s by tearing down the goalposts and tossing them into Lake Michigan.
101010 :towel:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

If not for Ohio State, there would be no ol' Wifehorn.. :fingerwag:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

OK, up and out.

Ol' Wifehorn is coming with me, she wants to pepper the doc with questions that she knows I'll forget to ask. What questions? If I knew what questions, she wouldn't be coming with me. :confuzzled:

So she's up and playing Farmville. :roll:

But I don't mind her coming with me, as long as she remembers that her shotgun seat driver's license is still FIRED. Heck, we're coming up on being married for 29 years. I'm starting to like her a little bit, lately. :mrgreen:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn, before we got hitched. :|

Wifehorn.jpg

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

So it's outpatient surgery. And I can take the sling off during the day to exercise.

Doing my right arm first is gonna be a lot worse than my left, because I'm right-handed. Doing everything with my left arm for several weeks is going to be a nightmare.

So, I decided to do my right arm first, get it out of the way. I'm like that.

He said it will really help that I lost 50 lbs. last year. Makes it easier for him to work on me.

Probably going to be scheduled for end of next month.

More will be revealed ...

Or the future.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

My mom had rotator cuff surgery in her 70's. Just foller the doc's instructions. I still have Mom's post surgery pulley exerciser if you want it. :mrgreen:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Ah, but did she get a reverse shoulder replacement?

I probably need a reverse pulley exerciser. My arm is gonna be sticking out behind me now. :mrgreen:

Or the future.
sugar magnolia

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:14 am Ah, but did she get a reverse shoulder replacement?

I probably need a reverse pulley exerciser. My arm is gonna be sticking out behind me now. :mrgreen:
Would that be a pushy exerciser?
MN-Skeptic

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Years ago my left-handed sister dislocated her right shoulder when skiing. Her doctor told her that it would have healed faster if it had been her dominate shoulder instead because she would have been using it more, building its strength back up quicker. Just a thought, I don't know if that would apply to you.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Well the doctor didn't say anything about that, and I discussed which arm to do first. And as I said, I get to take the sling off to exercise, and if my right arm heals faster than my left, the last bit of extra time it takes to finish rehab on the left will be the end of the nightmare, coasting downhill, easy to finish up.

That's my whole plan for something like this - if it's going to be a nightmare, start with the worst of it and then it won't be so bad after that. So I actually hope my right arm does heal faster.

And I have a good feeling about the doctor, and so did ol' Wifehorn, which was another good reason to have her there: the day is not coming any time soon when ol' Wifehorn thinks, "Oh, I'll just agree with my husband." If she picks up any bad vibes from a doctor, if anything sets off her radar, she will put up a battle to change my mind.

Ol' Wifehorn is many things. Being agreeable when she really actually disagrees is not one of them. I trust her 150% to have a completely independent opinion, and to be able to back it up. She is a force of nature, when the spirit moves her.

'Course, she also wanted to know how long I can't drive a car. That makes her do extra driving.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, he didn't know it, but her attitude - in a very polite, but compelling way, mind you - was along the lines of "I don't know you, but you gotta get past me before you stick a knife in my husband."

Which I greatly appreciate. And he figured it out immediately and gave good answers to all her questions.

I was a little shocked when, in the car going home, she thanked me for bringing her along. And I was like, are you kidding me? I am going to go through hell, but it's going to be a better experience because you were there today.

:lovestruck: ❤️

Or the future.
humblescribe
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by humblescribe »

Glad to hear that it will be a series of two outpatient surgeries, Foogy. Just follow doctor's orders, do your fizzical therapy, and by the solstice you should be ready to go three rounds with any MAGAt out there.

Inquiring minds are wondering why you are so fermentable today? Been taking extra doses of yeast? :lol:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
Phoenix520
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Phoenix520 »

Re: doing everything with your left arm for a while.

You’ll forget a few times and it will hurt like hell. Good reminder. Within a few days you’ll be better and keep getting better until by the time your right is healed you’ll be fully ambidextrous. Or is that amphibious?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Off Topic
I used to be aquadextrous - that's when you can sit in a bathtub and work both faucets with your feet. :lol:

I might still be able to do that, but it's been a long time since I sat in a tub. :?
Today was the fourth fifth day in a row I had to get up at 5:30 a.m. :cussing:

And it's not over yet, I have to get up same time mañana.

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th. :mrgreen:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Made it through the 13th, whew.

Had another assessment with the fizzikal therapist, how am I doing?

Oh sure, like you're really interested. :roll:

I'm alive, and I have a plan to stay that way. Part of the plan is to keep Fogbow going at least until President Trump gets re-elected a year from this November, which is all you really care about anyway. :lol:

I woke up at 5:30 again because I did it six times in a row, so my body just got too much energy to lie down any more (and the kittehs were suggesting they might possibly like some breakfast ... and some time in the pitch dark garage).

This morning Numbah One Son is coming to spend some time here on Project: Summer Internship at the Department of Transportation.

Gonna be a good day. 8-)

Or the future.
pipistrelle

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by pipistrelle »

I can't find it-didn't you say your physical therapy style has a name? I'm thinking of looking into it for a different body part if so.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”