Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

Taaake these golden wings and learn to fly again.
Attachments
rooster plane.jpg
rooster plane.jpg (45.11 KiB) Viewed 767 times
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Bow down!!!!!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Oh sure, I have to bow down first thing in the morning when I get downstairs. :roll:

To feed cats, ya gotta bow down to put the dishes on the floor. :P
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Last day of Open Enrollment, if you want coverage starting January 1st.

We're bizzy. :yawn:
Some things are simply too fast, or too relentless to avoid. Like the North Carolina rain.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

My dad said, "You don't think you're going to be around to see your own son turn 70."

I said, "I definitely think I'm going to be around to see you turn 95 in March." :biggrin:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Okay, this is weird, but good. Ol' Wifehorn and I are sitting around waiting for the phone to ring. :?

This is not our first rodeo. We have been through the last day of Open Enrollment every year since 2014. We have long experience with the last day of Open Enrollment.

But this is not what happens on the last day. On the last day, the phone is ringing nonstop all day, and we have to turn off the phones at 9 pm. On the last day, the panic sets in, for those who have procrastinated a little too long.

On the last day, the begging starts. Oh please, I forgot. :daydreaming:

But we did a hell of a job of nagging this year. I have been sending out naggy emails for weeks with increasingly dire and threatening warnings about what would happen to you if you didn't get on the stick.

I'd send a naggy email to 200 people, and 35 would call us or reply. Now there are only 165 derelicts. I send out another one, "The time is NOW, PEOPLE." That got 20 more, 145 to go.

And the last 30 people get "YOU ARE DEAD MEAT, NO INSURANCE FOR YOU HAHAHA!"

Or something similar, I forgotted the details now. :oldman:

Edit: I grew up watching Westerns.

"It's quiet, Jim."

"Yeah, Henry. Maybe ... a little too quiet." :think:

Oh wait, that's when something really bad happens. :shock:

Or the future.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by RTH10260 »

Very quiet? Did you check for workers tearing up the road? :think: :silenced:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

In the Westerns, there were no stinkin' roads. We used trails, like manly men on horseback!

And too quiet meant bad guys prowling around, making the birds stop singing and other animals stop making noise. You gotta pay attention to your environment, even in the Westerns.
:smoking:

Or the future.
pipistrelle

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by pipistrelle »

Last day is 1/15/2023. Can it be retro to 1/1?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, no.

TODAY is the last day IF YOU WANT COVERAGE STARTING JANUARY 1ST.

JANUARY 15th is the last day, period. For coverage starting February 1st.

They do their best to confuse people, I admit.

And if you are a new client for us, we can get you in today.

After today, my advice is, don't get sick or injured in January.

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

We're done. Well, except for what pipistrelle mentioned, there are a few people who still have to get enrolled, but their coverage won't start until February.

And it closes for good on January 15th.

Septuagenarian is a seven syllable word, but octogenarian doesn't have eight. :?

Count 'em. Six.

Go figure. :shrug:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Today in Fizzikal Therapy was a waypoint. A stop and look around moment. With measurements.

The thing is, my range of motion in all kinds of various movements, not just my shoulders, has improved. Some haven't moved much, some have moved a lot, and overall the man is getting results.

Having said that, I'm still in a lot of pain on a daily basis, and I can't do normal daily activities, or I can do them with difficulty. I'm typing this, but it hurts to type. It hurts, believe it or not, in my shoulders and upper arms. Some in my lower arms too. It hurts to type, it hurts to put on clothes, it hurts to feed myself, and everything hurts.

But the range of motion is improving significantly, which means the pain will go away eventually. For now, I believe in the system, and I am very pain tolerant, and I am sticking with it until the end.

Meanwhile, ol' Wifehorn and I have pretty much decided we're doing the shoulder surgeries in 2023. So there will be interruptions in the fizzikal therapy, but by 2024 I should be in fighting shape and ready to beat the crap out of you. know. who.
:boxing:

It's all good. :biggrin:

Or the future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by AndyinPA »

:thumbsup: and :bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Foggy wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:08 am For now, I believe in the system, and I am very pain tolerant, and I am sticking with it until the end.
This is probably good life advice overall, not just about fizzical therapy for shoulder injury. Sticking it out until the end no matter how much it hurts today definitely beats the alternative.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Poor Ol' Rooster

Good luck, Foggy! :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

johnpcapitalist wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:35 am Sticking it out until the end no matter how much it hurts today definitely beats the alternative.
Yes, but there's sticking it out to the end while complaining and whining about it all day and night, and sticking it out to the end where you're trying to fight to improve but also being mindful of not inflicting work and worry on others.

I'm probably being unclear, but here's what I mean: I was trying on a jacket in a store a week or so back, and it was not easy, and I kinda winced or something from the pain of trying it on, and ol' Wifehorn, out of pure instinct of helping her husband, reached up to help me put the damned thing over my shoulders.

And I had to stop her and remind her, 'This is why I'm buying a jacket that zips up instead of a sweatshirt-type thing that goes over my head. But if I need you to help me put it on, then guess who has to drop whatever they're doing every time I want to put my jacket on so you can help me get it over my shoulders?

I have to be able to do these things on my own. I have to. Otherwise, I'll be having to ask for help every five minutes.

What I should have done is not winced. I can get the damned jacket on, and it hurts, and that's life.

That's what sticking it out to the end means to me, and I'm nowhere near the end, for the record. I'm going to get new shoulders this year, and they're going to be made of titanium, and they're going to be high-tech as heck. And I'm gonna be getting fizzikal therapy through the whole ordeal to make sure I get the best possible results at the end of the year.

I'm gonna be a cyborg and just keep on going. :boxing:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

On Wednesday mornings, if possible, I get up early and go to Cardio-kickboxing class at the Y, with a wonderful lady fitness instructor named Sabra. Sabra is not a normally bouncy lady. She is extremely bouncy. She may be stuffed with rubber bands, like a golf ball. My goodness that lady can bounce on her feet!

And I have a spot in the class right by a big floor-to-ceiling glass window - corner window - with a view of trees, the Sun coming up, a nice neighborhood ... it's magnificent, and it's so great to be able to dance and punch and kick at my age. I love that class so very much. ❤️

And it's over. :blackeye:

Today was the last day. I hugged Sabra and told her I'll miss her, but ... it's over forever. :violin: :crying:

Next Wednesday I'll be in Bathysphere or wherever it is, at my dad's place. The class is canceled for 2023, and I am changing insurance anyway, and my new insurance doesn't include the Y (but it's going to save a ton on hospitalization when I get my shoulder surgeries). If your insurance doesn't cover it, the Y is $600 per year and the class I liked is gone.

I haz a sad about that. :(

Or the future.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by AndyinPA »

:bighug:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Foggy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:15 pm I haz a sad about that. :(
I haz a sad for you about that... but I also haz a glad that you got to have both the experience itself and the benefit of the work you did in it!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, I wouldn't have missed it for the world. That class was so much fun! I never did any fitness anything until I was 65, but it turns out fitness people are good people too also. It isn't just Spandex and ogres, all those people are paying money and working hard to be better. I'm choosy about the classes I take, and that was a good one.

I am going to wake up next Wednesday at my dad's. That won't be so bad, but on January 3 I will wake up ready to dance ... and I will miss Sabra and the cardio-kickboxing class so very much. :violin: :crying:

Oh, well. So much for regret, there are plenty of classes at O2 Fitness that will work for me. I just have to work on a new schedule for next year. :thumbsup:

Or the future.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Poor Ol' Rooster

:bighug:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

WARNING:

If a fizzikal therapist ever says the word "chunking" anywhere near you ...

Run away! Run, run, run for your life!

OMG this morning was brutal. :violin: :crying:

WHADDYA MEAN, I'M A BIG BABY?

Okay, yeah.

I am.

Ouchy. :crybaby:

Or the future.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Hokay, so my niece the Ph.D. physical therapist never heard of chunking. It was all a mirage.

Hurt like hell, though. Something my therapist invented himself, most likely. Ouchy.

Anyway, the cool people suddenly figgered out that there's not a lot of fitness classes on the next couple of Sundays, on account of Earthlings being weird. But we knew just what to do, because I am Faceplant friends with eleven of my fitness instructors, so I sent one a text, "When and where we at instead of Christmas, babydoll?"

And she got back to me right away, so now I have BodyCombat a/k/a Musical Asskicking on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve at 9 a.m.

Whaddya mean, I need to seek professional help? I can quit any time, honest!

Or the future.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

I needs to finds me sum fizzikul Jim classes. Dunno about Dancing with Barbells or Kickboxing or Chun King or Reliving the 70's Disco Scene at 70. But sumthin.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and I had never done any of that stuff, and it's not my music but I'm learning to like it a little, but the first step is to get insurance that covers the jim, and then just go on down there and see what happens, is what I did.

I went in, they gave me a free hour with a trainer, he did an assessment and showed me some exercises I could do. This was five years ago, in January 2018. About 5 weeks later, that location closed and I moved to a different location, same jim though. I was using the machines and not making a lot of progress, and I kept looking over at the classroom and all the ladies working out.

By Memorial Day they had a free weightlifting class in there, half an hour. I can do anything for half an hour, amirite? So I did the class, and I felt pretty good that day and that night, and the next morning I couldn't bend over to feed the cats.

Which meant, I had to admit to myself, that they were working muscles that I was not working on the machines.

Which meant, I had to admit to myself, that I should get my ass back in there again. And again after that.

And then I started talking to the ladies, like I do. I talk to the men too, there's just fewer of us.

But I'm not an addict, I can quit any time! (Narrator: He's going to Musical Asskicking on Christmas Eve, are you kidding me? This is a deeply sick individual.)

Or the future.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”