Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
pipistrelle

Re: Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by pipistrelle »

neonzx wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:04 pm
Foggy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:30 pm Today it's been beautiful - if hot and muggy, but whaddya want, it's Rawly - all day. Sun shining, a few clouds, the little patch is all dried out and ready to get cut down. I tell ol' Wifehorn, "In five minutes I'm going out to mow that sucker!"

Four minutes later -- LITERALLY FOUR MINUTES LATER -- it started POURING RAIN. :mad:

I shouldn't have let my plans out of the bag.
You know, there are these things (they call 'em "smart phones") with apps that can track weather up-to-the-minute these day. No Kidding.

Man my brother, what I wouldn't have done to had that tool 25 years ago in Cleveland when me and others got trapped in a snowstorm (me, driver) having to navigate a death mission in a blizzard and drop off each of my comrades home safely.

Techie, use your phone.
I'm gonna defend him (JUST THIS ONCE). Around here, we get storms so sudden the National Weather Service doesn't know they're coming, and I do only because the sunny sky suddenly and without warning turns black or green. The next thing you know you're getting sheets of rain and if you're unlucky hail. In a half hour it's sunny again. No one predicted it, and you notice it when suddenly it's dark four hours before sunset.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Arkansas has surprise weather too!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

So, he, who checks his various radar apps and websites often, even for weather in other states (the stupid data geek), decided today to run off to Binny's. Did he check the weather? Well, he had about an hour before and decided it would be a few hours before the storms arrived so did not recheck it. He thought to himself after going outside, "self, it is really hot, sticky, and oppressive out and feels like a storm is coming." The sky looked that way, but he went on his journey because Double Two Hearted Ale was calling. The skies were darkening in the west, but some idiot assumed it was like earlier today and not fully formed.

Well, he got to the store right at the time a swimming pool was being emptied onto his car. It is unknown if there was any hail since, even while parked, there was no way to see beyond the water pouring on the vehicle while the wind shook the car back and forth. It lightened just slightly, so someone decided to see how fast he can run the 50 years dash. Turns out, not fast enough to avoid being soaked.

So much for Be Prepared. :oopsy:

The good news is that it was a popup storm that was basically gone by the time shopping was concluded (and Double Two Hearted was purchased, among other things).
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer

I was concerned whether you were able to get the ale home or if it slipped out of your very wet hands. :cantlook:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:56 pm I was concerned whether you were able to get the ale home or if it slipped out of your very wet hands. :cantlook:
A good ale never slips out of my wet hands. I am very careful about such things.
101010 :towel:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:think: just was wondering if the supplies would last thru the deluge ;)
Tiredretiredlawyer

I luvs the Fogbow. It has the correct priorities! :biggrin:
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Numbah Two Son is considering a double major now at UNC Wilmington - math and chemistry. Or maybe math and something else, he's still mulling.

Anybody else, I would say that's too heavy a course load, but for him it might be the challenge he needs to take the next step, so I am telling him TWO HUNDRED PERCENT :thumbsup: because I support him that much.

Remember, this kid is a bona fide genius. If he doesn't take a brutal course load he'll be bored.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Chemistry requires the correct math to make things Burp!, but with a small mathematical degree of error one gets the exiting Boom!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and I don't care whether he's an adult or not, if he gets in some crazy laboratory and gives himself some really weird superpower like he turns into the Human Millipede or sumpin' even worser, I still get to negotiate the movie rights with Marvel. That's final.

But this whole "both of our sons moving out and suddenly we're empty-nesters" thing is really going to be hard for ol' Wifehorn, and I say this in all seriousness.

For me, it's no big deal, onward and upward. I literally told them since they were small, your mom's job is to build a nice, safe, warm, comfortable nest for you to live in, and my job is to kick you out of the nest and make you learn how to fly.

Ol' Wifehorn and I talked about it this morning on our walk, and they're both ready to fly. I think they're going to reach amazing heights, and I want to watch.

But for ol' Wifehorn, it's the loss of her children, and she is keeping herself bizzy to avoid thinking about it, but two weeks from today they'll be gone from the house and that's going to be very, very stressful.

And there isn't really much, if anything, I can do to help her through it. I reminded her, we were empty nesters for 5 years at the start of our marriage. She was ... unimpressed. Dang, that was my strongest pitch, too also!

But we've been through worse. Both her parents died in our house. Nobody is going to die, just go to college. :biggrin: It will work out.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Are they moving beyond the Laundry Line? You know, that movable boundary beyond which it’s too far to bring the laundry home for mom to do on weekends. If not, you’re not empty nesters. You’re the new laundromat owners!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:46 pm Are they moving beyond the Laundry Line?
Okay, first, I gave Alex Bob Todd a new name to go with the new school, so he's now Angelo. :biggrin: The other one is W3.

W3 is in a dorm situation in Raleigh, and welcome to come home anytime, with or without laundry. If he doesn't visit here often enough, she may go there, and nobody wants that. :biggrin: He's the responsible one anyway, I think he'd be embarrassed to bring home laundry, but who knows? :shrug:

Angelo has a tiny single apartment with a washer and dryer in his building, and he actually has experience doing his own laundry for two years at NCSSM and a semester at UNCW, so he has this.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

This is the life stage where you need to get a dog as replacement.

The cats are fine but dogs require attention and loving... Needs more maintenance like a child does.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Ol' Wifehorn, sad to say, has never owned a dog, and is not really open to the idea.

And we have three cats, none of whom would sign off on dog ownership. And imagine the trauma for a poor helpless puppy. It would be like having three older sisters! :eek:
Edit: That's a joak, settle down. I have heard reports that several male Earthlings have survived having three older sisters, and as the oldest of five children I just have to laugh. :lol:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:26 pm It would be like having three older sisters! :eek:
Edit: That's a joak, settle down. I have heard reports that several male Earthlings have survived having three older sisters, and as the oldest of five children I just have to laugh. :lol:
You should talk to my brother. He was an only son who had five older sisters and one younger one. So, of course, he had sons, right? Nope. Four daughters. :lol:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

When I, the youngest, left the nest, it was about the time my dad left his job.

I heard later from my mother that I must have been the only thing between her and potential murder. :lol:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:56 pm You should talk to my brother. He was an only son who had five older sisters and one younger one. So, of course, he had sons, right? Nope. Four daughters. :lol:
That's hilarious. :lol:

I mean, I like women. Ol' Wifehorn will tell you, I have girlfriends wherever I go. But if I grew up with SIX sisters and then had FOUR daughters, by the third or fourth one I would be having questions.

On the bright side, I freely admit that I don't understand women. It's a common malady, they don't come with instructions.

But I suspect your brother understands women extremely well, and we may have to waterboard him to get him to spill what he knows. :mrgreen:
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

I would guess that it's a definite genetic thing. Dad had four sisters and one brother.

I think my brother and his wife have done a fantastic job at raising their daughters. They are the good example of how to home school well. They are also good examples for their daughters on how to have a successful marriage - there is love and respect between my brother and his wife. It's fun to see where the girls are going in life. The three oldest have graduated from college, the fourth will be a junior this coming year. The second oldest got married a few weeks ago, the oldest will get married at the end of October. And I know that my brother and sister-in-law are going to have the most fun being grandparents!
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:26 pm Ol' Wifehorn, sad to say, has never owned a dog, and is not really open to the idea.

And we have three cats, none of whom would sign off on dog ownership. And imagine the trauma for a poor helpless puppy. It would be like having three older sisters! :eek:
Well, you might be surprised. Cats adapt fairly well (with a little time), especially if you kids got a puppy.

Too also, you just threw out the boys and the cats upon seeing that may decide to be on their bestiest behavior or they MIGHT BE NEXT! 8-)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I know my cats, and two of them would love to have a puppy to bully day and night. I have seen dogs brought into a household with pre-existing cats, and the poor dog can't walk past the chair the cat is sitting in, because the cat is gonna smack him just for fun. Dogs like to maintain a façade of dignity, but a mean cat will strip off his dignity and bury it in the litter box.

And that's if I can get ol' Wifehorn to agree, which I can't. :nope:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

What a sad Dick Tater. 😂
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Nope. I had some of the greatest dogs ever, and I have had some great cats, and I'm happy with the three hoodlums we have. Johnny Bento, Peanut Moo-Cow, and the KittyBear are just perfect at this time in my life.

I mean, another thing about dogs now is that a responsible dog owner picks up after their pet. Which, in the previous century, was not socially necessary, and I never learned the habit. :blackeye: So I wouldn't appreciate having to do that today.

I'll stick with kittehs. Johnny Bento might be the best cat I've ever owned. :lovestruck:
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 1:46 pm Are they moving beyond the Laundry Line? You know, that movable boundary beyond which it’s too far to bring the laundry home for mom to do on weekends. If not, you’re not empty nesters. You’re the new laundromat owners!
When I moved to my first apartment, my parents would pick me up for Sunday dinner every week. I did my laundry, had a great meal, took home leftovers and bags of groceries my mum bought for me, and then got a ride home. :lovestruck: :lovestruck:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I saw this on twitter and almost thought this was foggy
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Tiredretiredlawyer

Foggy is WAAAAAAAYYYYY to cool to wear those specs.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”