Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Re: Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:36 am Neither of my children know how to fix a flat tire on a bicycle or do basic bicycle maintenance. :blackeyebig:

That's another thing that must be remedied before we send them to college with bicycles, so today is Bicycle Infrastructure Week.
Wait, I thought bicycle maintenance class was last weekend? :confuzzled:

As for wifehorn's "office", my gawds, what kinda furniture does she have in there? You know, IKEA has many office furniture options (some assembly required but they give you a little tool thingy) that are functional and lightweight which don't require a college boys moving crew...
collegemovers.png
collegemovers.png (11.98 KiB) Viewed 954 times
... to schlep stuff around to place a carpet (likewise, in future, when the carpet needs to be deep cleaned of the cat hair).
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Bicycle Infrastructure Week got postponed due to I forget what, but hay nao, the very essence of Infrastructure Week is that it never actually comes to fruition, amirite? :towel:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:50 am Bicycle Infrastructure Week got postponed due to I forget what, but hay nao, the very essence of Infrastructure Week is that it never actually comes to fruition, amirite? :towel:
Pfft. I know bicycle maintenance. It's the full-service Schwinn shop ~1 mile down the road from me. 8-)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, and they sell liners for inside the tires nowadays, you can never get a flat.

But they must learn what geezers had to know. :mrgreen:
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:21 pm I drove 1,075.6 miles (1,731 km) in nine days. If'n I had driven in a straight line, I'd be partway to Portugal (and deeply underwater).

But I'm taking the rest of the day off. No more driving until Dancing With Barbells a las ocho y cuarenta de la mañana.
Hey wait, that's almost the Exact mileage of the Amy & Kylie Kremer Women for T**** Bus Tour! And definitely far enough to get to Hotlanta. Is there something we all need to Know about? 🕵️ :lol:

We've been watching a fun Netflix show set in North Carolina, have you heard of OUTER BANKS? It's a fun suspense/treasure hunt show, 2 seasons (20 episodes) so far with a 3rd season in production. Thought you might know the locations. The boys might really enjoy it, we liked it.
Outer Banks is an American action-adventure mystery teen drama streaming television series created by Josh Pate, Jonas Pate, and Shannon Burke that premiered on Netflix on April 15, 2020. In December 2021, the series was renewed for a third season. The series is set in a community in the Outer Banks of North Carolina and follows conflict between two groups of teenagers in the community.

Outer Banks is set in a coastal town along the Outer Banks of North Carolina, where there is a stark social divide between wealthy seasonal residents and working-class locals (who have the nicknames "Kooks" and "Pogues", respectively). The show follows a group of Pogue teenagers who live at The Cut, and are determined to find out what happened to the missing father of the group's ringleader, John B. Along the way, they discover a legendary treasure that is tied to John B's father. Chased by the law and a wealthy group of Kooks from Figure Eight, the Pogues seek to overcome obstacles such as love, fighting, friendship and money.
They use the Sloop John B song in the huge soundtrack.

The Beach Boys - Sloop John B Promo Film (Official Video)

Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I don't watch the Tee Vee, but I will pass the word. And I think I prefer the Kingston Trio on the Sloop John B.

jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

I just saw the movie Where the Crawdads Sing that was set in North Carolina. Good movie!
Luke
Location: @orly_licious With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA

Post by Luke »

Hey hey hey Foggy, maybe you don't watch Most tee vee, but everybody at Fogbow knows there's one show you and Wifehorn Never Miss. You're an expert and the family counts on your input and loyalty.

► Show Spoiler

But oops, just looked and they actually shot the show around Charleston, boo. Here's a full location guide. https://www.thisismysouth.com/outer-ban ... locations/
Lt Root Beer of the Mighty 699th. Fogbow 💙s titular Mama June in Fogbow's Favourite Show™ Mama June: From Not To Hot! Fogbow's Theme Song™ Edith Massey's "I Got The Evidence!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5jDHZd0JAg
Foggy
Dick Tater

Self-propelled lawnmowers

Post by Foggy »

Three years ago I made a terrible purchasing mistake, in conjunction with ol' Wifehorn, who did some research and sent me to Lowe's with a model number of a lawn mower that was a good deal.

It was not a self-propelled lawn mower, and I could see that with my very own personal eyebones, but, earning the respect of dads everywhere who believe that adversity builds character, I went ahead and bought the non-self-propelled mower, which I have regretted ever since. :blackeye: But I built a lot of character, I reckon. :roll:

Yesterday I mowed (we have .96 acres, it's a big lot) with my new (and very last) self-propelled mower. It was 95° and humid, and my weather app said to "take frequent breaks with water in an air-conditioned environment," so that's what I did. No, we're not buying a riding mower until I'm 85 or 90. I got out there and completely soaked 4 t-shirts with sweat. It was awesome. :biggrin:
Edit: And I'm keeping the old one, it's only 3 years old and I keep machinery in good condition. They're both Craftsman; they both have 160cc Honda engines; and I had to show ol'Wifehorn that they have different model numbers on top, because they look so similar. I'll use the old one for tough jobs, or maybe build a go-kart with the engine. I can prolly get Gregg to sell me a transmission for it. :biggrin:
Edit: At least it wasn't a pink gun. I make purchasing mistakes, but hey - I got cataract surgery on both eyes since then. Why, I haven't bought a pink gun in at least ten years! :oopsy:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Proudaya. In the Summer I usually get the lawn grinder done by 10am before it gets above 80F. Yesterday I had a bunch of stuff to do and didn't get to the grocery store until after lunch. So, I took a refreshing shower to be "fresh" for the barber. During the three block walk from the bank to the barber I soaked my shirt, and my hair required a full rinse before she would start clipping.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, "Work outside in the morning," they said.

"It'll be cooler," they said.

But it rained last night. It rains almost every night in July. It won't dry off until after noon.

That's OK, I'm in training. :biggrin:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Oh. That's a different matter. Around here we suspend our annual rain festival (Jan 1 through Dec 31) for 90 days or so because SUMMER!!! In fact, we've tried several times to temporarily rename our state during August and September to Orezona. The bill never gets any traction, but it could be all the sweat dripping on the paper making it unreadable. We should use a laser printer I suppose, or at least put each page in a clear sleeve. They have those at Office Depot I think. Maybe some spray lacquer with a matte finish.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I spent the entire summer of 1981 living in Eugene, and visited on many, many other occasions, when I was in law school and thereafter. My two brothers lived there, and we'd go camping in the mountains and camping at the beach, and I paid rent and lived with one brother and we raised a litter of pups that summer, so I have very good memories of Oregon. I count that as one of the 11 states in which I have lived, because my name was on a lease of real property in Oregon.

Didn't spend much time in Portland or other places, my view of the state was very, very limited. But great for the poor ol' rooster, back in the day.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

My fondest memory of Oregon, other than visiting my sister and brother in law in Corvalis when he was working on his Masters, was randomly discovering a hot springs a few yards off a highway somewhere in the north.

SWMBO and I were driving along when I decided I needed to find a bush. Right on cue a dirt road appeared with a little beat up sign reading 'Hot Springs'. The road lead to a dirt patch that could hold about 3 maybe 4 cars.

We walked down the track to the river and found a pool people had created by piling up rocks and stuff and it was hot. Too hot. But the poolmakers had thought of that too, and set up a PVC pipe that you could open or close and let in cold water from the river to suit yourself.

We were there for an hour before any other folks came by. They seemed reticent at first and I thought they were offend because we were naked. But it turned out they weren't sure how we would react if they got in naked too - are we preeverts or would we think they were preeverts? Anyway they got over it, they were nice folks from somewhere in Washington, I forget now, and anyway, we were only there for a half hour after they got there.

It was a great random event day.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I love stories!

We camped our honeymoon in Idaho. We, too, followed signs to hot springs - signs along the trail warned us “NUDE HIKERS MAY BE ENCOUNTERED ALONG THIS TRAIL’, so we knew we were in the right place. After we checked out The Shower, a hot waterfall, and the next two pools, we came to a river. Along the banks were a series of rocky pools, the highest ones being the hottest. They got cooler as you went down toward the river, so people were constantly hopping - nekkid - from pool to pool. We also saw about 500 Monarch butterflies gathered at a series of puddles on a dirt road.

Best honeymoon ever. 💕
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Phoenix520 wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:27 am I love stories!

We camped our honeymoon in Idaho. We, too, followed signs to hot springs - signs along the trail warned us “NUDE HIKERS MAY BE ENCOUNTERED ALONG THIS TRAIL’, so we knew we were in the right place. After we checked out The Shower, a hot waterfall, and the next two pools, we came to a river. Along the banks were a series of rocky pools, the highest ones being the hottest. They got cooler as you went down toward the river, so people were constantly hopping - nekkid - from pool to pool. We also saw about 500 Monarch butterflies gathered at a series of puddles on a dirt road.

Best honeymoon ever. 💕
Oh, how amazing!

I lived in Nome AK for a summer and it was soooo beautiful there. While they still had actual night time, once you got a mile or so out of town (which - except for one road to the next town - was about as far as the roads went) the sky would get pitch black and I'll never forget the night the group I was with went out to check out the Aurora. I've never seen anything else as stunningly beautiful in my life. The lights just shimered and kept subtly moving and shifting shape a bit, almost like they were being blown on a light breeze, even though the wind was still.

It's one of my absolute favorite memories.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

That’s a bucket list memory! So cool!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

So this is me and Cyrus, up in the Three Sisters. Cyrus had his own backpack, which reduced his tendency to chase the furry things and helped us carry provisions.

Yeah, hiking in the snow in shorts and t-shirt, it was over 70° and the snow was melting.

Lots of lakes up in the Three Sisters.

Pay no attention to the pot pipe on the backpack in that last one. :talktothehand:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Love Oregon. Hubby and I bicycled from Astoria to Cannon Beach to Tillamook to Salem to Prineville as part of the Bike Centennial in 1976. We fell in love with Oregon, wanted to move there, but couldn't determine the best place for us until we attended the Malheur trial in Portland. We are city folks. It was perfect then. Not so enticing now.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

There is one small area of the yard that I have allowed to get overgrown - long story - and for the past three days I have waited to go mow that sucker down using my old lawn mower. I am NOT using my new mower on that patch.

Every single day, as soon as I'm ready to mow, the sky opens up and it starts raining.

Today it's been beautiful - if hot and muggy, but whaddya want, it's Rawly - all day. Sun shining, a few clouds, the little patch is all dried out and ready to get cut down. I tell ol' Wifehorn, "In five minutes I'm going out to mow that sucker!"

Four minutes later -- LITERALLY FOUR MINUTES LATER -- it started POURING RAIN. :mad:

I shouldn't have let my plans out of the bag.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Foggy wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 9:54 am [Oh, click on the little up arrow (after wrote:) to read the original story. Ol' Wifehorn helped one of her clients get a new job at much higher pay.]
So now this lady is making good money, and she has an endoscopy scheduled for Thursday morning at 6 am, but she doesn't own a car and the bus doesn't run that early, so ol' Wifehorn volunteered me to show up at her house at 5 am, which means I have to get up ... oh man ... :cantlook:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:30 pm Today it's been beautiful - if hot and muggy, but whaddya want, it's Rawly - all day. Sun shining, a few clouds, the little patch is all dried out and ready to get cut down. I tell ol' Wifehorn, "In five minutes I'm going out to mow that sucker!"

Four minutes later -- LITERALLY FOUR MINUTES LATER -- it started POURING RAIN. :mad:

I shouldn't have let my plans out of the bag.
You know, there are these things (they call 'em "smart phones") with apps that can track weather up-to-the-minute these day. No Kidding.

Man my brother, what I wouldn't have done to had that tool 25 years ago in Cleveland when me and others got trapped in a snowstorm (me, driver) having to navigate a death mission in a blizzard and drop off each of my comrades home safely.

Techie, use your phone.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Wait, you can get the weather on your telephone? :confuzzled:

northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Foggy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:22 pm Wait, you can get the weather on your telephone? :confuzzled:

National Weather Service - Raleigh,Durham, Chapel Hill 919-326-1052
https://www.weather.gov/dial-a-forecast/
101010 :towel:
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Foggy wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:22 pm Wait, you can get the weather on your telephone? :confuzzled:

We have one of those phones. It works, too! When we still had a regular phone line with a dial tone we used to keep it plugged in, then chuckle when visitors would hold the ear piece, hear the dial tone, then quickly hang up in a panic.

Now that phone’s just a paper weight.

ETA: Ours doesn’t have a dial. You click the spot where the earpiece goes (does the same pulsing that the dial does, you just have to do it manually).
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “Introduce Yourself”