Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Uninformed

Re: Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Uninformed »

Definitely something to crow about. :biggrin:
If you can't lie to yourself, who can you lie to?
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

Well, Foggy, if you want respect, then I'll let you know in my current Sims 4 game, one of my Sims is a farmer. He owns a chicken coop where the primary rooster and hen are named Foggy and Wifehorn. Their three chicks are Hazy, Drizzle and Misty :)

How's THAT for some respect, eh? LOL
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Reddog wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:46 pm Meanwhile on the Left Coast, more fowl news:

Furious Turkeys Lay Siege to NASA Lab

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/02/08/ ... cate-them/
Good catch!!
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:24 pm
Reddog wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:46 pm Meanwhile on the Left Coast, more fowl news:

Furious Turkeys Lay Siege to NASA Lab

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/02/08/ ... cate-them/
Good catch!!
The Great Poultry Revolt has begun....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

PROJECT SPEED READER:

See details in the What Are You Reading thread.
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, so What Are You Reading is what you are reading. This will report (very irregularly, mind you) on my progress in reading with acceleration.

Starting reading speed, using Tocqueville: 238.33 words per minute, which is rated Average in the book. Good starting point for a 69 year old who hasn't been in uni for a while.

Baseline defined, mañana we start to see how much I can improve. :think:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Oh noes. :(

We learned this morning that the son of one of our closest friends in California has died.

Our friend, his mom, was our Hospice nurse when we were on hospice for 3.5 years. I've told you that story, but not about how her son and our Nubmer One Son were the same age and did a ton of things together when they were 2 and 3 years old. MANY trips to Knott's Berry Farm, Disneyland, the beach, etc., etc. We became very close to his parents. Her husband died ten years ago, I'm sure that had an effect on the kid, he was 12 at the time.

So last week he was 22, and now he's gone.

We've been so lucky to have healthy and well-adjusted children who are both still alive.

They're not even giving a cause of death, and we're not going to call his mom for a little while. Maybe a few days.

Very sad.
Tiredretiredlawyer

:grouphug:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

On the bright side, our niece is home with the new babby girl.

HOWEVER, our niece and her husband (mainly the husband, it was his stupid idea) are making a huge and ginormous mistake, for which they will pay when the new babby is like 13 years old (this is a thing that happens, babby girls grow up to be 13) and she decides that her life is a miserable hellhole of despair and degradation, and IT'S ALL DADDY'S FAULT. :crying: :mad: :fingerwag:

Why, what did they do, you ask? :shrug: What could possibly be a ticking time bomb, the thing that when the other 13 year old girls find out, they will be worser than merciless in tormenting today's babby girl?

They named her Quinn Elizabeth (last name). :doh:

They find it most droll and amusing that it is so close to Queen Elizabeth.

They will not listen to their Uncle Foggy.

They are doomed, but they can't see it. :shock:

Ol' Wifehorn: "By the time she's 13, nobody will know who Queen Elizabeth was."

Foggy: "Oh sure, because they won't be teaching history to 8th grade kids by then, huh?" :roll:

Earthlings are so entertaining!

:whisper: Yes I know that Anthony Quinn was not the Queen of England.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My father-in-law was named Lester Elwell (Something) because his mother and father wanted to call him Les and they thought it would be cute if his initials and his nickname were identical. Isn't that cute?

I think that's very cute, but I will testify from personal knowledge, that man lived to be 76 years old, and he never did forgive his parents, though they were long gone. He carried that grudge until the day he left us to go tell them about it some more.

So I'm very certain this is a mistake. Maybe she'll have a sense of humor about it. If not, there are always legal name changes.
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

At least my niece listened to my advice re naming her son!

I saw my niece this past summer when she was pregnant with her now son. I asked what last name she and her wife were thinking of for this upcoming newborn. Hyphenating their two last names was one of the options. I strongly recommended against doing that to the poor child.

When I got married in 1976, I took my husband's last name. His last name was merely four letters long and my maiden name was an uncommon 8-letter Norwegian name. Within a couple of years, I regretted that decision. I really missed my last name. So, after discussing it with my husband, I went to court and changed it to a hyphenated last name - mine-his. I loved my husband and never regretted doing that. EXCEPT for any health care organization (including pharmacies) or any governmental unit. They don't get it. They don't do hyphens! They will either omit the hyphen so my last name is a 12-letter nonsense name, or omit the hyphen and make it a two word last name with a space in it.

I told my niece about the experiences I've had with my hyphenated last name and I was relieved when my sister told me that my grand nephew will share my niece's last name. His other mom's last name will be his middle name.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, ol' Wifehorn went back and forth on the hyphenated last name thing, which actually made things worse, because she could never remember which name she used with a thousand different businesses.

But I was smart on that one. I never expressed any opinion one way or the other. Heck, I never had an opinion one way or the other, it was her decision 100%.

I think mostly now she goes by the hyphenated version in print, but if she calls on the phone she says "Hi, this is Ol' Wifehorn Bryan." :biggrin:

Okay maybe she uses her real name. :blackeye:
Tiredretiredlawyer

I chose to use Hubby's last name cuz my "maiden" name was laughable and his is a plain old English name which everyone knows and can spell. He says if if his name had been "Schwarzenegger" I never would have married him. It would have been a close call.
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

My maiden name had been twice turned into derogatory nicknames intended to convey people thought I was a dog, so I was quite glad to be rid of it when I got married and took my husband's name without a 2nd thought.

I *might* have considered either keeping it or hyphenating it had he and I planned on having children as my only male relative on my dad's side had only daughters, and none of the female relatives kept their maiden names. Once our generation is gone, that last name - at least in my family's branch - will be gone. Of course, since we didn't have kids, I'm the last of my family itself - not just the name. Sometimes I feel sad about that, and a little guilty because as a Heathen, the family legacy is considered of high importance to pass on for the future. Neither of those would have been good reasons for us to have kids, though, since my husband and I both knew we'd be lousy parents for a variety of reasons.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

There's a commercial in Australia that goes something like this:
Scene: Nurse walks in on a man seemingly very happy and drinking a beer:

Nurse: "Have you decided on a name yet Mister Maari?
Mr. Maari: "We were thinking 'Callum'!

Scene: 1 shot of Mr. Maari fades to imagining Callum's first day at school
School kids: Calamari! Calamari! Calamari!

Scene: Callum's wedding day, proud Callum and beautiful bride at the alter
Celebrent: Do you Calimari take this...
Bride: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Scene: back in the hospital
Mr. Maari: I think we'll name him Jack.
I haven't got a clue what the ad is about though.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:34 pm But I was smart on that one. I never expressed any opinion one way or the other. Heck, I never had an opinion one way or the other, it was her decision 100%.
Me too also. My wife just kept her unmarried name. No hyphens. No record changes. No hassles.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Dr. Caligari

Post by Dr. Caligari »

keith wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:14 pm
Foggy wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:34 pm But I was smart on that one. I never expressed any opinion one way or the other. Heck, I never had an opinion one way or the other, it was her decision 100%.
Me too also. My wife just kept her unmarried name. No hyphens. No record changes. No hassles.
As did my beautiful bride.
J.D., Miskatonic University School of Law
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, you seem to have survived the experience. ;)

But before our wedding, they showed us these three candles in a holder, and here was the deal:

When the ceremony gets to that point, the two candles on each side are lit, but not the one in the middle. Pay attention, this is important. You each take a candlestick, you light it from the candle on your side, and you both light the one in the middle, simultaneously, to symbolize something, something the unity of marriage, the oneness of the partnership, yadda yadda, whatever. :yawn:

THEN YOU MAKE (or in England and maybe Oz, you take) THE BIG DECISION.

If you blow out the candles on the sides (your own individual candles) then you are extinguishing your own personal self, your personality, whatever it is that makes you you ... and you're becoming a single unit, subsuming your personalities into each other like some weirdo metrosexual new age psychobabble whacko birds or sumpin', I don't even know. :biggrin:

WHEREAS if'n you leave the candles on the sides burning, you get to keep your own individual personality and your own personal brain and your own personal thoughts and stuff, even though you're committing to the partnership.

Three guesses which one I chose in, well, it took me .267 seconds. I was sleepy at the time. :blackeye:

Did I mention part of our wedding vows came from the Apache wedding ceremony?
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

My new rock band is gonna be called Foggy and the Weirdo Metrosexual New Age Psychobabble Whacko Birds.

:banana:
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Our Taoist Companionating Ceremony 30 years ago had a similar candle thing, except without the name choosing thing. Too also, we each bowed to the four directions with our own candle before lighting the Unity candle. We promised to love, cherish, and support each other…until we didn’t anymore. 🙃

No pressure.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Hubby’s maternal grandfather was a Methodist minister and “marrried” us. Three days before the wedding he asked us what we wanted in the vows. I said clearly I would NOT promise to obey. I would stop the wedding if that came up. Big Dad said, “Okay.”

Now Hubby “remembers” me promising to obey. I said,”NOPE!”

He said I was so lost in thought and said it without realizing it. (Like that wouldn’t cross my always triggered feminist radar.)

I have told him IF I said it I LIED cuz I am NOT going to obey anyone!
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Neither of us being particularly sane, we got married aboard one of the only two operational WWII Liberty Ships, docked in the Baltimore Harbor, the S.S. John Brown.

IMG_4074.JPG
IMG_4074.JPG (222.73 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
We were the only couple to have been married aboard her; probably still true. Officiating was Steve Bunker, owner of a nautical antiques shop in Fell's Point, dressed in a 19th-C captain's uniform, live parrot on shoulder. We inexplicably set the date at January 5th. Unheated ship. 15 degrees. We and our nicely-dressed guests clambered up the freezing iron steps to the bridge for a hurried but heartfelt ceremony. Yikes.

We were so poor I had the reception in my little fledgling wood shop downtown. I made wooden candle-holders and put candles on all the antique machines (I think I only had four then). Self-catered dishes on plywood on sawhorses. Yes sir.

At home, our entertainment center was a B&W TV on boards on cinder blocks. [Sigh!] La vie est folle, non ?
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

My daughter and her husband wanted nothing to do with a church/religious wedding. They went halfway across the state, or maybe all the way to Philadelphia, to get a Quaker wedding certificate. They wrote their own vows and said them in front of the reception guests who were the witnesses, and his mother and I signed the certificate for the state. She kept her last name, but they debated the next year on how to name the kids. They ended up with just their father's name. It starts with a Z, so neither of the kids are happy about that, particularly since they are always last in line in school.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Isn't that the name you used on RC’s show, RoadS? Sweet wedding. Chilly but sweet.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Free Foggy! ;)
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Introduce Yourself”