Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Re: Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I'm gonna cross-post, 'cuz neonzx and I have a good discussion going.
Off Topic
neonzx wrote:
Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:47 pm You're right, though.

I can never leave my house without an explanation of 1) where I'm going and 2) what I'm planning to do when I get there, and you'd be surprised how consistently she manages to decide that my plan is no damn good and she offers to substitute a new and different plan, following which I normally have to stop and explain in some detail why my plan is correct and her plan is stupid missing a few key considerations.

That gets old, it's true. Every so often I request that she just focus on running her own life and let me make just a few of my own decisions.
Well, Foggy you have the years and experience with those women-folk. However, me being me, I suggest the next time you see a box of Swiss Rolls on the top of the fridge, you stash them somewhere and feign innocence when she comes-a-asking. That's what I would do cause "Payback!".
I don't think she eats those, I think she feeds them to the boys, which means they have a bleak future anyway.

And you learn to live without payback, for mental health reasons. :mrgreen:

Are you sitting down? What I'm about to say will shock you, I can't be responsible.

She thinks some of the things I do are annoying, too also. Can you imagine? :nope: :fingerwag: :doh:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

And another cross-post:
Phoenix520 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:29 pm Neon, I been married for a little over 31 years. I’m here to tell you, we’ve NEVER had an argument over the size of a rental truck. The size of other things, yes, but not a truck. :mrgreen:

If you’ve been single all this time on accounta rental trucks, dude…I think it’s safe now.
Young lady, I have met Mr 520 and he appears to be a perfectly normal Earthling, and I know you quite well, so I am not going out on a limb when I assume that you have argued over things that were WAY sillier than the size of a rental truck.

I mean, EVERYBODY remembers the Dave Barry column where his friends were arguing over the way he gave directions to her while she was driving to where they were going in Charleston, and he said if you've ever been married, you know, even that isn't anywhere near the top of the Silliness Chart of Marital Arguments.
qbawl

Post by qbawl »

Foggy says:
She thinks some of the things I do are annoying, too also. Can you imagine? :nope: :fingerwag: :doh:
Undoubtedly one of those things being that rowdy bunch of reprobates you let track mud all over the place on Tuesday nights.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:22 pm And you learn to live without payback, for mental health reasons. :mrgreen:
And reason #1293 why I never married. No paybacks allowed.

Cats are easier.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

qbawl wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:32 pm Foggy says:
Undoubtedly one of those things being that rowdy bunch of reprobates you let track mud all over the place on Tuesday nights.
No, she loves Fogbow people, honest. The first few years she thought I was becoming a crank. Especially since she knew Orly Taitz was insane.

Then the people here raised a lot of money at the time when I was hospitalized with a nerve disorder (Guillain-Barré) that meant we lost our business (the flower shop) with no foreseeable income and I was unable to walk - or even come down stairs in my own home - for months. The money didn't stop us from meeting with a bankruptcy attorney five times in the aftermath, and it wasn't quite enough to retire comfortably on :P but it was enough to stop her panic attacks and made her take a deep breath. People cared about us. It may have saved her sanity. (I was floating on dilaudid in hospital and not a functioning partner at the time.)

So that has left a strong imprint on us both, permanently.

Sterngard Friegen led the effort. I miss him still. Come back, you. :silenced: :brokenheart:

Ol' Wifehorn and I have been through a lot of shit. Both her parents died in our home of Alzheimer's. We adopted a little girl, fell in love with her, and the birth mom took her back after milking us for thousands of dollars. Two children the same age as our boys were killed by a car in front of our flower shop, and ol' Wifehorn was in the street helping a cop direct traffic so the ambulance could get through, and looking at their broken bodies. We still had to rebuild from scratch after the nerve disorder and the loss of the flower shop. In 2014 when Obamacare came on, we were rousting hotel maids in cities as far as an hour away, looking for the low-hanging fruit and signing them up.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
But I don't think anything nicer has ever been done for us than what this community did when I was in hospital and my wife was seriously freaking out, and my kids were too young to understand. And if you weren't here and didn't pitch in, it wasn't really the money, it was the kind of people that participate in this awesome community. And - like myself - ol' Wifehorn will never forget.

And then in October 2012 she came to an in-person Meetup in Myrtle Beach and met a lot of people who she really liked, and that was it. She loves Fogbow and she asks about what's going on if'n I don't volunteer enough. Every time we have a Virtual Meetup, she asks, how many people, what did you talk about, etc.

What a long, strange trip it's been. :oldman:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Hey, buddy... all respect to you and Ol' Wifehorn! :clap:
Hidden Content
Annrc
Verified:

Post by Annrc »

Wow!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Long day, tired, but home again. I was able to outwork both my son and his mother, which means he is seriously out of shape.

Two things will improve that:

1) he's on his own for nutrients, and,

2) it's a third-floor walkup :mrgreen:

I, however, will be up at 5:30 a.m. and ready to do forum maintenance at 6:00, followed by Musical Asskicking class, like the video I posted on faceplant last week.

:boxing:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

OMG we are empty nesters! Kittehs outnumber us! :shock:
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:38 am OMG we are empty nesters! Kittehs outnumber us! :shock:
Not having kids myself, I can only comisserate, but I am told that the feeling of 'they've left me, where did I go wrong?' Turns to :groupdance: soon enough.

Maybe try putting the Grateful Dead on the turntable and setting the controls for the heart of the sun, will provide some relief.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Enjoy a few years of freedom, soon you will be tasked with herding not only cats but grandkids :mrgreen:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:38 am OMG we are empty nesters! Kittehs outnumber us! :shock:
Eh, you two signed up for this gig. :mrgreen:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

When Firstborn Son left, Hubby and I still had The (Zen Buddhist Kickboxing Welterweight World Champ) Kid to raise. Calls from Firstborn were silence filled. Those were tough. He called cuz he was lonely and we didn't know how to "conversate". We ended up teasing each other which pissed off Firstborn.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

neonzx wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:13 am Eh, you two signed up for this gig. :mrgreen:
Yeah, we did. I'm really looking forward to it. :lovestruck:

But I do have to brag.

On Saturday I helped my Numbah Two Son move into his new place in Wilmington. It's a third floor walkup, very narrow stairwells, no elevator.

He thinks he's strong and he is, but he's overweight and has no stamina. He carried up about three loads of heavy stuff (to show how strong he is) and he was all done for the day.

His mom did a few loads, much lighter, but three flights of stairs!

But I brought my hand truck, and I started putting 50 - 60 lbs (23 - 27 kg) on the hand truck and backing up the stairs, one step at a time, and I did it five times, and I could have kept going if'n I had to, but the two college kids ol' Wifehorn hired finally showed up.

I outworked my wife and son and still had enough energy to return the rental truck, drive back to Rawly, and still show up for Musical Asskicking yesterday and Dancing with Barbells today.

Whew. Might take a nap now. :oldman:
Edit: My son is out of shape today, but he has to climb those stairs every day and walk around campus, and he'll be in better shape by the end of the semester.
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:40 pm
neonzx wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:13 am Eh, you two signed up for this gig. :mrgreen:
Yeah, we did. I'm really looking forward to it. :lovestruck:

But I do have to brag. :snippity:
Hey now, I was speaking of your cats, not the boys. I already gave you and Wifehorn a head-bow for them.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Foggy wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:40 pm
Edit: My son is out of shape today, but he has to climb those stairs every day and walk around campus, and he'll be in better shape by the end of the semester.
I was out of shape and lived on the fourth floor for two years with just stairs.

I ended up even more out of shape.

Blergh.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, well you can quit trying to cheer me up, 'cuz it's NOT WORKING.
:lol: :nope:
neonzx

Post by neonzx »

You wimps. Try 5th floor level walkup in East Village-- Manhattan. Try moving stuff there, you brutes.
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

The “nest” may be empty, but it’s still a nest.
Hidden Content
So, while our nest was empty for quite some time, it’s still here when they need it. And your young men know you’re there for them should the need arise.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
Kriselda Gray
Verified:

Post by Kriselda Gray »

That sucks that the job wasn't what they were expecting it to be. I'm glad they have a place they can come to while they get the next step figured out!
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

True dat, what Maybenaut said.

It was a little different for me, I left home forever the day after I graduated high school, and there were entre years when my parents didn't know what state I lived in. My mom was an alcoholic and a mean drunk, and it took her drinking herself to death - and a lot of years after that - for me to finally develop the relationship with my dad that I should have had my whole life. I had my own struggles and was homeless three separate times, but I was never going back to that hellhole, and I'm still quite comfortable with the fact that she died 17 years ago.

But our kids are always welcome. This is actually the third time Alex has moved out - - he was at boarding school for 11th and 12th grades, and already spent a semester at UNCW (but they gave him a horrible roommate).

And Wm. III is on a wild ride. He was ready to break out of the nest a while ago, but he didn't want any college debt so he stayed home and got a two year degree first. But now he's a transfer student in a really nice dorm, his own room, and he's meeting a ton of people already.

'Course, the bad news is, most of them are going to be Earthlings, and you know how crazy and dangerous they are.

:popcorn:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

I made a doctor crack up today.

I was talking about my weight. I said, when I finally got serious about it, I was about 240, and I got all the way down to 190 and my wife said I couldn't lose any more because my metabolism would shut down or something.

Then I got down to 175 and she gave me a huge lecture about how she studied all this and read about it and I was NEVER going to be able to get to 165, so I should stop stressing about my weight and just stay at 175.

Then when I got to 165 I said I was going to try to stick to a range between 160 and 165, and she told me I couldn't get below 160 because it would be really unhealthy to be underweight. But I looked at the Body Mass Index chart and it says that at my height, I wouldn't be underweight unless I was down below 140.

... and the doctor said, "So, did you show her the chart?"

"No, I just stopped telling her what I weigh." :biggrin:

OMG, I thought he was going to choke. Clear evidence that he is married too also.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:rotflmao: :fingerwag:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Foggy
Dick Tater

Post by Foggy »

Yeah, well, everything she ever said about my weight was wrong, after which she decided she was the boss of how much I'm allowed to weigh.

So why should I invite comment? :shrug:

She's very smart about a lot of things. My weight isn't one of them. :batting:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:lol:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler

Return to “Introduce Yourself”