Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Poor Ol' Rooster

Tell us about yourself. But only things you want us to know.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I almost made some serious mistakes, which us young male Americans must do.

I almost drove my dad's convertible from the carport, through the window, and into the kitchen. That sounds like a long trip, but it was about 6 feet. Would have been exciting, though! :lol:

But American males, in the year of our FSM 1969 (when I was 16), absolutely needed to be able to drive a car. With, may I add, a stick shift. Rite of passage, more important (okay, more common anyway) than bar mitzvah. You were not a fully participating young American male adult if you couldn't drive, period. I had a 1968 VW bus, stick shift, my first true love. ❤️

You had the option to become a pilot, too also. But driving a car was mandatory, when I was a boy.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
jemcanada2

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by jemcanada2 »

Like this?? :batting: :batting:
Attachments
0468A680-A025-4707-BB54-354D03393175.jpeg
0468A680-A025-4707-BB54-354D03393175.jpeg (115.38 KiB) Viewed 682 times
tek

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by tek »

When I was home from college one summer, I ended up teaching both my sister AND my mother to drive.

My mother was deathly afraid, and my sister was totally fearless. It was a rough summer.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

tek wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:17 pm When I was home from college one summer, I ended up teaching both my sister AND my mother to drive.

My mother was deathly afraid, and my sister was totally fearless. It was a rough summer.
Oh jebus. I wasn't afraid but I had a couple bad mentors. So 14 yo neon was taken out for a driving instruction. Now, my father is in the passenger seat and we are going to get on the freeway/interstate. So, I drive along the on-ramp and STOP before the merge (that is what his mom, my grandma, would do). My dad lost his mind freaking out. .GO GO GIVE IT GAS!!

LOL Fun times
Estiveo
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Estiveo »

Because my father was elsewhere, it fell to me to teach my brother (the Yeti) how to drive a stick. It did not go well. After almost two hours, he was no closer to mastering a manual transmission, & we were barely speaking. Estiveo's Mom told us we were idiots, said "Come on" to the Yeti, and 15 minutes later he was driving a stick like he was born to it.

Bosco just avoided sticks until his late 20s, then taught himself in about 5 minutes when the new car he wanted was unavailable in automatic for a few weeks, but there was a stick on the lot.
Image Image Image Image
neonzx

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Estiveo wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:09 pm Because my father was elsewhere, it fell to me to teach my brother (the Yeti) how to drive a stick. It did not go well. After almost two hours, he was no closer to mastering a manual transmission, & we were barely speaking. Estiveo's Mom told us we were idiots, said "Come on" to the Yeti, and 15 minutes later he was driving a stick like he was born to it.

Bosco just avoided sticks until his late 20s, then taught himself in about 5 minutes when the new car he wanted was unavailable in automatic for a few weeks, but there was a stick on the lot.
That car my father would take me out in for driving lessons was a Chevy Cavalier RS sport edition (manual trans). I think all kiddos should learn on a stick shift. It is second nature to me now even though I have an auto trans.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Phoenix520 »

Our niece and nephew grew up in rural Nebraska where the driving age is 12. During the winter the kids had a 30 minute grace period before they were considered late, due to so many either skidding on the ice/snow into a ditch or helping someone out of a ditch.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

You know what you get when you help someone out of a ditch? :think:

You get to help someone out of a ditch. :idea:

It's a good feeling. :smoking:

I don't know if there's an afterlife. I don't know if there really is karma. I just know that doing random stuff to help your fellow Earthlings is rewarding all on its own.

That's how I roll.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

:clapping hands:

Well done Foggy. Never do something expecting gratitude. You'll always be disappointed. Do it because you are glad to help, because it fulfills your being, and it brings you joy.
neonzx

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

bill_g wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 6:57 am :clapping hands:

Well done Foggy. Never do something expecting gratitude. You'll always be disappointed. Do it because you are glad to help, because it fulfills your being, and it brings you joy.
So yesterday, I'm walking at my condo building and a neighbor lady is struggling with three kitchen sized trash bag. I could have just walked on by -- but I stopped and take two of them to the compactor with her. Now I don't know why she had to take this trash out herself because there are a couple teenage boys who live there who should be chipping-in(chores).

Yeah, I got a thank you. That was more than enough.
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

You helped her dispose of the bodies? :shock:
Estiveo
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Estiveo »

Body. Singular. Disassembled. Kitchen size trash bags only hold so much.

CSI: Fogbow. 8-)
Image Image Image Image
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Unless it's a very small person.... :biggrin:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by bill_g »

... or they were made smaller.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Poor Ol' Rooster

:rotflmao:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Azastan
Verified:

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Azastan »

neonzx wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 6:05 pm

Oh jebus. I wasn't afraid but I had a couple bad mentors. So 14 yo neon was taken out for a driving instruction. Now, my father is in the passenger seat and we are going to get on the freeway/interstate. So, I drive along the on-ramp and STOP before the merge (that is what his mom, my grandma, would do). My dad lost his mind freaking out. .GO GO GIVE IT GAS!!

LOL Fun times
My college roommate grew up in a small town (Sebastopol, CA, but this was, ya know, 40 years ago) and essentially had never gotten on a highway because she didn't need to. When she started college, in San Jose, she had her car with her. I remember the first time she had to get onto Highway 17. Yes, she stopped on the on-ramp. I reacted much the same way as your dad.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Frater I*I »

Estiveo wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:08 am Body. Singular. Disassembled. Kitchen size trash bags only hold so much.

A 55 gallon drum with acid and lye is far more effective....
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
neonzx

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 9:27 am You helped her dispose of the bodies? :shock:
You FB People are horrible. There was no leakage from the trash bags so pretty sure not body parts.

But since I have not seen those teens in a few days, makes me start to wonder. :think: :?
neonzx

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by neonzx »

Frater I*I wrote: Mon May 29, 2023 10:37 am
Estiveo wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 10:08 am Body. Singular. Disassembled. Kitchen size trash bags only hold so much.

A 55 gallon drum with acid and lye is far more effective....
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Best threadjack evar. 8-)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

I bought a rain poncho with a photo of a portion of the Milky Way galaxy on it.

Totally cool.
galaxy_poncho.jpg
galaxy_poncho.jpg (149.91 KiB) Viewed 303 times
galaxy_poncho_3_in_1.jpg
galaxy_poncho_3_in_1.jpg (93.75 KiB) Viewed 303 times
So of course it stopped raining and I can't wear it outdoors, because it would look like I was wearing a tablecloth for a picnic table.

Rule: If'n it's only drizzling, and not pouring rain, you look like a dork wearing a poncho, but you can wear one a them modern so-called raincoats that actually leak all over the place (if you walk four miles in the pouring rain (for example)). To wear the poncho and not look stoopit, it has to be raining hard. Not drizzling, pouring. :fingerwag:

Exception: If it's only drizzling, you can wear a poncho in the rain, if'n you are sitting on a horsie. But you have to wear a cowboy hat, not the hoodie on the poncho.

But howsoever ...

1. The minute I received my new poncho, it stopped raining and won't start up again, I even did a rain dance, and

2. I don't have a horsie. :blackeyebig:

So I'm kinda stuck.
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by RTH10260 »

The Milky Way?

Beware the upcoming reports of UFO sighting in the Raleigh NC area ;)
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

Three weeks from today is my next shoulder surgery.

I'm lucky I only have two shoulders, because this could get old. :bored:
Foggy
Dick Tater

Poor Ol' Rooster

Post by Foggy »

RTH10260 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:16 pm The Milky Way?
I'm guessing. They didn't specify.

It appears to be a photo from the Hubble Telescope, one of those "star nursery" shots that show an area where there's a lot of formation of new stars going on.

'Course, if a star nursery is more'n a billion light years away, the babies are now older than life on Earth.

Which just goes to show, ya never really know. :smoking:
Tiredretiredlawyer

Poor Ol' Rooster

Should this be in the Fashion thread?

Return to “Introduce Yourself”