Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Video Games and Gaming

Slim Cognito
Verified:

Video Games and Gaming

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm a gaming granny. I started when babysitting my grandson and I've been hooked ever since Ratchet and Clank came out on Playstation 2 (Slim Cognito is a character in the franchise.)

I recently downloaded a little game called Cozy Grove. It's the typical mining type game, garden, mine, build stuff from those resources. The hook on this one is you play as a Spirit Scout and it's your job to help various distressed souls make their peace and move on. Flamey, the campfire, is my guide. It's been a stormy afternoon so today I made it to, I think, my seventh soul. Flamey warned me this guy is not rooted in reality. Be careful with this one. So I went over and made my acquaintance. He's a bear (they're all bears) wearing a flannel shirt and a trucker cap and he immediately started yelling that the government was out to get him. Please bring him barbed wire so he can set up a perimeter!

I almost laughed out loud. It's the little things in life.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
boogiebach

Re: Video Games and Gaming

Post by boogiebach »

Not technically a granny but granny-aged (mid-50s). I've been gaming since Pong. More Nintendo than PlayStation. I still have (and use sparingly) my Super Nintendo. My go-to these days is either Stardew Valley (I've had the PC version for a few years) or Animal Crossing New Horizon. They've been a welcome escape during the pandemic.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Animal Crossings kept me going through the lock-down. Cozy Grove is very similar, although it is self-limiting. There are a limited amount of chores for each day, then nothing to do but fish and mine. And those stop spawning after a while. It's like the developers are saying, you've had some fun, now go do something constructive. Flamey, my guide, will actually tell me, "There's nothing left to do today, come back tomorrow."

My newest soul, the sovcit bear, is cracking me up. Yesterday I asked if I could help him with something and he told me he doesn't trust me. I might be a "reptilian." Then he went on about the media being propaganda and he gets all his news on line...from his friends...whom he's never met.

Oh, and I was wrong about sovcit's apparel. Now that I've gotten him to color-up, I can see he's wearing a confederate hat and maybe jacket.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

Some souls may not be able to be saved...
jez
Verified: ✅ Medicated

Post by jez »

Glad I found this thread. I'm about to use my necromantic skills and resurrect it. :D

I was going through a few screenshots of my main game, Elder Scrolls Online but it seems that the fogbow doesn't really like google picture links. :(

So here are the links themselves.

Some scenery.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NLBd4RhsSakkrpKy9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/PJer2c1mnkpRnBbNA

And of course some of the fine literature found in-game: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cYNhCFSJyTB9WDKGA

And this is my main character that I play the most: https://photos.app.goo.gl/atU6LtVGeoWVhzZW6
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
Dave from down under

Dave from down under

Elder scrolls looks good.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I've been laying Guild Wars 2 for 8 years now, off and on. It's a game with massive amounts of stuff to do, it offers a lot of customization for your characters, and the combat is generally pretty fun and completely different de[ending on which of the 9 character types you are using.

I'll post picks of some of my characters in a few days when I am back to my computer.

I like this trailer for one of the Episodes.

For an example of actual gameplay, I made this tutorial for one of the World Bosses (boss fights that happen every 15 minutes or so in different areas on the map) in 2014 when my computer was a lot crappier. (Just to show off one of my own miserable bits of content.)

Hic sunt dracones
John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

For 4 years I played "Criminal Case" on Facebook, a mindless "find it" game themed as a criminal investigation. The story lines were fairly entertaining and the game was easy. Then Adobe Flash died and so did the game. I did manage to collect 4,000+ facebook "friends" playing the game, a coupla dozen who turned out to be really nice people.
jez

Post by jez »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:55 pm Elder scrolls looks good.
It's one of the most beautiful mmo's I've ever played. And, bonus: Not too many toxic players. There are a few, obviously, but a vast majority are really nice, helpful, and just want to have some fun. A couple of my guilds actually have a large Aussie presence, so that is kind of fun. I'll sometimes run with them when I've gotten hit with insomnia.
“What is better ? to be born good or to overcome your evil nature through great effort ?”

~Paarthurnax
jez

Post by jez »

Suranis wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:31 pm I've been laying Guild Wars 2 for 8 years now, off and on. It's a game with massive amounts of stuff to do, it offers a lot of customization for your characters, and the combat is generally pretty fun and completely different de[ending on which of the 9 character types you are using.

I'll post picks of some of my characters in a few days when I am back to my computer.

I like this trailer for one of the Episodes.
:snippity:
I've heard about Guild Wars. The style reminds me a bit of WoW and it looks like a bunch of fun. :)

~Paarthurnax
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

I'm one of those awful people that do paper Sudoku and Crossword in blue pen.
Dave from down under

:oldman: :thumbsup: :bighug:
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

When did I reach the age when I was clueless about some of the games out there. I'm an 80s baby (1980) grew up with atari Nintendo Sega jaguar etc and I don't know anything about mine craft or fortnite nor do I have any interest in them. Still play all the call of duty games, battlefield, far cry etc
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Elder Scrolls looks interesting. I'll have to check it out. I never did much on-line gaming. I tried early on but didn't know what I was doing. Now that I'm more experienced, I should look into it again.

Right now I'm replaying a Legend of Zelda game, Wind Waker. One of my favs. I also like the retro foraging games. Mindless collecting. It was a great, stress-free way to spend my COVID lock-down days.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

I find some really interesting pc games on steam from independent studios as well as other providers. You can find some free titles through Epic Games each month. They have some pretty good stuff on there. I got borderlands for free from them. I've rotated with a few Civilization type games one called Humankind and the other called Old World
MN-Skeptic

Post by MN-Skeptic »

bill_g wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:00 am I'm one of those awful people that do paper Sudoku and Crossword in blue pen.
:like:

Yeah, I know better than to do computer games. Hours mysteriously disappear with them. :shock:

However, I’ve been downloading daily crossword puzzles since my PalmPilot. I like to do them last thing of the day, in bed before I go to sleep. If you haven’t seen it before, you might want to check out CrosswordFiend.
neeneko

Post by neeneko »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 am When did I reach the age when I was clueless about some of the games out there. I'm an 80s baby (1980) grew up with atari Nintendo Sega jaguar etc and I don't know anything about mine craft or fortnite nor do I have any interest in them. Still play all the call of duty games, battlefield, far cry etc
Also a child of the 80s here, though for me I think minecraft has become my time sink of choice. been playing it since alpha (2010) and still pretty regular today. It is such a heavily modded game that I continues to keep my interest, and over the last 5 years it easily has my largest number of hours (after that would be Rimworld).

Though i've also been getting into old NES stuff, though there I've been more interested in modding and making repo carts. Gearing up to burn a fan modded version of the first Zelda once I get around to ordering the board I need, and got the bits and pieces to mod the hell out of a GBA.
PaulG

Post by PaulG »

Dr. Ken wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:52 am When did I reach the age when I was clueless about some of the games out there. I'm an 80s baby (1980) grew up with atari Nintendo Sega jaguar etc and I don't know anything about mine craft or fortnite nor do I have any interest in them. Still play all the call of duty games, battlefield, far cry etc
You might like Fortnite. Fortnite is just Call of Duty without the ... um ... duty. No history, just big battles. Very bright palette. On the other hand, I can't stand Minecraft but love Dragon Quest Builders 2 and those two are practically the same, so, you know, tastes and stuff.
Dr. Ken

Post by Dr. Ken »

Eh I don't like what cod did with war zone if fortnite is like that I'll pass. I play cod for single player and zombies now
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

MN-Skeptic wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:14 am
bill_g wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:00 am I'm one of those awful people that do paper Sudoku and Crossword in blue pen.
:like:

Yeah, I know better than to do computer games. Hours mysteriously disappear with them. :shock:

However, I’ve been downloading daily crossword puzzles since my PalmPilot. I like to do them last thing of the day, in bed before I go to sleep. If you haven’t seen it before, you might want to check out CrosswordFiend.
I'm a really old school gamer. I do have Killer Sudoku on the phone. But, I also get Sudoku in a four of the papers and magazine I'm subscribed to. They always have crossword puzzles.

Return to “General Stuff”