Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Weird Science

Patagoniagirl

Weird Science

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Anyone brave enough to try this?

Ganzflicker Experience
Background:
A visual flicker is known to induce "Ganzfeld imagery" (Allefeld et al., 2011; Sumich et al., 2018), a type of visual pseudo-hallucination. The continuous flicker facilitates visual imagery, but does not induce any permanent changes in the brain and does not elicit actual hallucinations. I am interested to learn about the association between any illusions you see, and the vividness of your visual imagery.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIp ... w/viewform
MsDaisy
Verified:

Re: Weird Science

Post by MsDaisy »

That was pretty weird...
Off Topic
My dear big sister (may she RIP) had horrible seizures that could be set off by stuff like that, 20, 30+ every day, some were extremely violent. She also had focal motor seizures where just an arm or other bit would seize. Bless her heart she was a real trooper for someone who never progressed mentally past the age of 5. I had a fridge full of injectable drugs and a cupboard full of oral meds, none of which really worked and both my (then teenaged) boys could handle a seizure as well as any ER Doc. Once she seized for 14 hours straight and we did go to the hospital for that one. Poor thing was so loaded with drugs she could hardly function or even hold her head up. I finally threw a shit fit, there she was taking a fist full of drugs 4 times a day and still seized all the time, it was obvious the drugs were useless so I finally insisted she be taken off of all of them. It took 4 months to get her off all that shit and once she was finally drug free the seizures stopped. When I questioned her doc about that he said, "well you know, one of the side affects of of seizure medications is seizures". No I didn't fucking know that or I'd have stoped it YEARS before! You can't imagine how pissed off I was about that but I certainly let the doctor know. Bless her sweet little heart, she died peacefully about 6 months later at home with me in her own bed. I had custody of her for over 11 years and would do it all over again with no regrets. After she died it took me almost a year to stop fretting in the back of my mind over, who's watching Vicki and do I have enough drugs and diapers!
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

THERE'S GOLD IN THAT THARE WATER!!!!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... uxbndlbing
Scientists transform water into shiny, golden metal

In a mind-mending experiment, scientists transformed purified water into metal for a few fleeting seconds, thus allowing the liquid to conduct electricity.

Unfiltered water can already conduct electricity — meaning negatively charged electrons can easily flow between its molecules — because unfiltered water contains salts, according to a statement about the new study. However, purified water contains only water molecules, whose outermost electrons remain bound to their designated atoms, and thus, they can't flow freely through the water.

But Jungwirth and his colleagues wondered whether they could turn water into metal through different means, without creating the ridiculous pressures found in Jupiter's core. They decided to use alkali metals, which include elements like sodium and potassium and hold only one electron in their valence shells. Alkali metals tend to "donate" this electron to other atoms when forming chemical bonds, because the "loss" of that lone electron makes the alkali metal more stable.

In their new experiment, described in a report published Wednesday (July 28) in the journal Nature, the team did just that. In the experiment, they placed a syringe filled with sodium and potassium in a vacuum chamber, squeezed out small droplets of the metals, which are liquid at room-temperature, and then exposed said metal droplets to a tiny amount of water vapor. The water formed a 0.000003 inch (0.1 micrometer) film over the surface of the metal droplets, and immediately, electrons from the metals began rushing into the water.

For the experiment to work, the electrons had to move faster than an explosive reaction could take place, Jungwirth told Nature News. And once the electrons zoomed from the alkali metals to the water, an incredible thing happened: For a few short moments, the water turned a shiny, golden yellow color. Using spectroscopy, the team was able to show that the bright yellow water was in fact metallic.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
LM K
Occupation: Professor Shrinky Lady, brainwashing young adults daily!

Post by LM K »

Maybe we are in the end times?

Why did birds fall from sky in Mexico? Probably a predator, experts say
Hundreds of yellow-headed blackbirds have been filmed appearing to fall from the sky, some of them dying, in mysterious circumstances in the northern Mexican city of Cuauhtémoc.

The cause of death remains unclear but experts said it was most likely the flock was “flushed” from above by a predatory bird swooping down to make a catch.

The footage from a security camera shows a flock of migratory birds descending on to houses like a cloud of black smoke. Most birds manage to fly off but subsequent footage shows carcasses of the distinctive black and yellow birds scattered on streets of the city.

The incident happened on the morning on 7 February, according to local reports. The birds tend to breed farther north, in the US and Canada, and migrate south for winter in Mexico.

According to the local paper El Heraldo de Chihuahua, which first reported the story, a veterinarian suggested blame for the incident could lie with high levels of pollution, driven by the use of wood-burning heaters, agrochemicals, and cold weather in the area. Another suggestion was that the birds were electrocuted while resting on power lines. There was speculation on social media that it could have been caused by 5G technology.

But Dr Richard Broughton, an ecologist with the UK Centre for Ecology & Hydrology, said that although he could not see a raptor in the footage, he was 99% sure it was caused by a predatory bird. A predator could have made the birds swirl tightly and driven them towards the ground, with higher birds forcing lower ones to crash into the buildings or the ground.

“This looks like a raptor like a peregrine or hawk has been chasing a flock, like they do with murmurating starlings, and they have crashed as the flock was forced low,” he said. “You can see that they act like a wave at the beginning, as if they are being flushed from above.”

Dr Alexander Lees, a senior lecturer in conservation biology at Manchester Metropolitan University, agreed. “For my part and from one video and no toxicology, I’d still say the most probable cause is the flock murmurating to avoid a predatory raptor and hitting the ground,” he said.

"There always seems to be a kneejerk response to blame environmental pollutants, but collisions with infrastructure are very common. In a tightly packed flock, the birds are following the movements of the bird in front rather than actually interpreting their wider surroundings, so it isn’t unexpected that such events happen occasionally.”

The deaths of 225 starlings in Anglesey in December 2019 were later discovered to have been caused by them diving into the tarmac, possibly after being chased by a predatory bird and failing to pull up in time.
"The jungle is no place for a cellist."
From "Take the Money and Run"
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

Scientists Use Stereochemistry to Create a Sustainable Plastic Alternative

A joint United Kingdom-U.S. research team may have found a sweet solution to plastic pollution.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Totally cool. Thanks, bill_g. 8-)
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Foggy wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:45 am Totally cool. Thanks, bill_g. 8-)
De nada. Treehugger News is curated for environmental issues without the noise of activists. It leans towards science with a dash of Martha Stewart to gussy it up. IE: next level infotainment.
Tiredretiredlawyer

https://www.upi.com/Science_News/2022/0 ... 654114188/
World's largest plant found in Australia

June 1 (UPI) -- Researchers in Australia have stumbled upon earth's largest known plant that stretches more than a hundred miles and has survived thousands of years, according to a study published Wednesday.

The ancient seagrass Posidonia australis, or ribbon weed, covers 112 miles in western Australia's Shark Bay and is estimated to be about 4,500 years old, according to researchers at the University of Western Australia.

Biologists had originally planned to study the genetic diversity of seagrass meadows in Shark Bay, but instead found a single plant or 'clone' in the shallow sun-drenched waters, according to the study published Wednesday in Proceedings of the Royal Society B.

UWA student researcher Jane Edgeloe said the team sampled seagrass shoots from different environments throughout the bay to generate a "fingerprint" using 18,000 genetic markers.

"The answer blew us away! There was just one," Edgeloe said in a press release. "That's it, just one plant has expanded over [111 miles] in Shark Bay, making it the largest known plant on earth."

The enormous seagrass does not reproduce and instead came from a single, colonizing seedling that grew for thousands of years. It is also a polyploid, containing 100% of the genome from each parent rather than sharing 50%.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

LM K wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 5:24 pm Maybe we are in the end times?

Why did birds fall from sky in Mexico? Probably a predator, experts say
Hundreds of yellow-headed blackbirds have been filmed appearing to fall from the sky, some of them dying, in mysterious circumstances in the northern Mexican city of Cuauhtémoc.

The cause of death remains unclear but experts said it was most likely the flock was “flushed” from above by a predatory bird swooping down to make a catch.

:snippity:
My first thought was a susurration gone wrong or a predator caused them to crash into the ground/buildings.

Clearly not everyone died - it wasn't dead birds falling - it was live birds crashing.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Tiredretiredlawyer

There will be a pop quiz. :mrgreen:

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techands ... uxbndlbing
Physicists Caught Sound Moving at Two Different Speeds in 3D Quantum Gas

After previously studying the phenomena of two sound waves in quantum liquids, scientists have now observed sound moving at two different speeds in a quantum gas.

This is an important development in the field of superfluidity – fluids with no viscosity that can flow without any loss of energy.

Remarkably, the behavior observed in the gas in terms of densities and velocities matched the parameters set down by Landau's two-fluid model, a theory developed for superfluid helium in the 1940s. To a large extent, it seems that when it comes to quantum gas setups, the same rules apply.

Liquids and gases become quantum when they start exhibiting quantum mechanical properties – they start obeying a different set of laws compared with those that govern the classical physics of the Universe.

In this case, the quantum nature of the gas explains the pair of sounds – one a typical wave of compressed particles, the other, fluctuations in heat that act like particles.

All of which feeds into our knowledge of quantum hydrodynamics, essentially the study of liquids in this quantum state.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I feel stupider having (tried to) read that.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:05 am I feel stupider having (tried to) read that.
That's you experiencing the differential between your field particle You and your quantum You. While normally time aligned, when the particle You leads the quantum You, you feel brilliant, and when it lags you feel stupid. Perfectly natural.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Uhhhhhhh......derp?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Simple: consider you move faster than your feet.... ;)
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Slim Cognito wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:18 am Uhhhhhhh......derp?
Yes, exactly.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

This is bad for Biden because..
101010 :towel:
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Well for one, this kind of dimensional antagonism can lead to tan suits as evidenced by Obama. It's something we all need to be aware of. Bad hair day? I think not! More like loss of time sync with your quantum self. Like Hunter's laptop.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Ain't science refreshing?????
bill_g

Post by bill_g »

Wait until we discuss quantum facts.
Tiredretiredlawyer

Are quantum facts like QAnon?
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

To me, yes.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

https://www.livescience.com/aquarium-sh ... birth.html
Italian shark has 'virgin birth' after 10 years in all-female shark tank

By Harry Baker published August 26, 2021

The baby shark was born in an all-female tank with no father in sight.

A shark's rare "virgin birth" in an Italian aquarium may be the first of its kind, scientists say.

The female baby smoothhound shark (Mustelus mustelus) — known as Ispera, or "hope" in Maltese — was recently born at the Cala Gonone Aquarium in Sardinia to a mother that has spent the past decade sharing a tank with one other female and no males, Newsweek reported.

This rare phenomenon, known as parthenogenesis, is the result of females' ability to self-fertilize their own eggs in extreme scenarios. Parthenogenesis has been observed in more than 80 vertebrate species — including sharks, fish and reptiles — but this may be the first documented occurrence in a smoothhound shark, according to Newsweek.

Related: Hail Mary! 9 amazing tales of virgin births in the animal kingdom

"It has been documented in quite a few species of sharks and rays now," Demian Chapman, director of the sharks and rays conservation program at Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium in Florida, told Live Science. "But it is difficult to detect in the wild, so we really only know about it from captive animals," said Chapman, who has led several studies on shark parthenogenesis.
Virgin birth

Parthenogenesis may occur infrequently, but it happens in many types of sharks.

"About 15 species of sharks and rays are known to do this," Chapman said. But it is likely that most species can probably do it, he added.

Scientists notice parthenogenesis occurring most often in carpet sharks, particularly white-spotted bamboo sharks (Chiloscyllium plagiosum) and zebra sharks (Stegostoma tigrinum), because they are common aquarium species. However, parthenogenesis occurs in both oviparous (egg-laying) sharks, like carpet sharks, and viviparous (live-birthing) sharks, like smoothhound sharks, Chapman said.

Zebra sharks (Stegostoma tigrinum) are commonly observed giving birth via parthenogenesis.

In the wild, parthenogenesis may be a last resort for females that cannot find a mate, either because they have been separated from others in their species or because human impacts, such as climate change and overfishing, or natural selection pressures, such as predation and disease, have wiped out all the available males. In aquariums, separation from males or long periods of isolation can trigger this natural response in females, Chapman said.

Some individual sharks have been observed repeatedly giving birth via parthenogenesis over a period of years, and others may switch between parthenogenesis and sexual reproduction when introduced to a mate, Chapman said.

Imperfect cloning

There are two types of parthenogenesis: apomixis, a form of cloning common among plants, and automixis, a form of self-fertilization that more closely resembles sexual reproduction, according to National Geographic (opens in new tab).

"Rather than combining with a sperm cell to make an embryo, [the egg cell] combines with a polar body, which is essentially another cell that is produced at the same time that the egg cell is produced and has the complementary DNA," Christine Dudgeon, a biosciences researcher at the University of Queensland in Australia who has studied shark parthenogenesis, told Live Science. In this scenario, the polar body acts as a pseudo-sperm cell with a single strand of DNA.

The resulting offspring get 100% of their their DNA from their mother but are not exact clones of them, Dudgeon said.

This is because sex cells, also known as gametes, have a unique combination of genes that are randomly selected from each parent as they are created — so each shark egg (or polar body) has a different genetic makeup. When the polar body and egg combine, they produce a baby shark that is genetically different from the mother. But because they are only made from one gamete , not two, parthenogenetic offspring are more closely related to their mother than normal babies are, Dudgeon said.

Because parthenogenesis in sharks happens only in females and females cannot pass on a Y chromosome, it also means the resulting offspring are always female. "The mother is XX, and so she will only pass on X chromosomes to the offspring," Dudgeon said.

Health issues

"Parthenogenesis is essentially a form of inbreeding, as the genetic diversity of the offspring is greatly reduced," Dudgeon said.

As such, offspring produced by parthenogenesis may have a reduced chance of survival, Dudgeon added.

"There is a high rate of embryonic failure among parthenogenetic offspring," Chapman said. "But when they do survive, many have normal lives, and some can even reproduce."

However, it is hard to pin down exactly why baby sharks die, whether they are parthenogenetic or not.

"Mortality in young sharks in aquaria, and the wild, is common, so it's hard to say what is causing it," Dudgeon said. "The [normal] offspring that are born have already won the lottery," she added.

Baby Ispera appears to be in good health and is expected to live a relatively normal life in captivity, according to Newsweek.

Originally published on Live Science
Hic sunt dracones
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

And it is reported in Medivial English that some deity declared there be a male and a female and baby J appeared and be the only way nature may legally generate offspring. Above fake news was created by that develish figure, more creative than the self appointed creator.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Suranis wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:46 pm The baby shark was born in an all-female tank with no father in sight.

A shark's rare "virgin birth" in an Italian aquarium may be the first of its kind, scientists say.
Evidence that doG has given up on humans and moved on to the next species to rule the planet and blindly worship Him.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

The Savior has returned in the form of a precious smoothhound shark, the second documented case of immaculate conception, and people are making fun of it. :roll:
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “Science”