Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Military behaving badly

Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Re: Military behaving badly

Post by Maybenaut »

jcolvin2 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:22 am
bob wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:39 pm The "foreign government" actually was ... the Feebs. :smoking:
According to the complaint, the foreign government told the US about the initial effort to make contact and offer assistance. Perhaps the foreign power was not as hostile to US interests as one might suspect.
Just like when Joya Williams stole the Coke formula and offered it to Pepsi. And Pepsi’s response was to contact the FBI. Sometimes large organizations and governments know that it’s in their own interest in the long run to avoid taking an advantage to garner a great deal of goodwill with their anniversary.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
jcolvin2
Verified:

Post by jcolvin2 »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:55 am
bob wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:39 pm The "foreign government" actually was ... the Feebs. :smoking:
According to the complaint, the foreign government told the US about the initial effort to make contact and offer assistance. Perhaps the foreign power was not as hostile to US interests as one might suspect.
Just like when Joya Williams stole the Coke formula and offered it to Pepsi. And Pepsi’s response was to contact the FBI. Sometimes large organizations and governments know that it’s in their own interest in the long run to avoid taking an advantage to garner a great deal of goodwill with their anniversary.
I am sure you meant adversary. But, I suspect it may be a country other than the two countries who are usually treated as adversaries (Russia and China). Perhaps Israel or Taiwan?
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

jcolvin2 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:14 am
Maybenaut wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:55 am
I am sure you meant adversary. But, I suspect it may be a country other than the two countries who are usually treated as adversaries (Russia and China). Perhaps Israel or Taiwan?
:lol: I did. Stupid voice-to-text.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Y'all must pronounce yer words sloowly and clearly with crisp consonants, and without that suthrn drawl.
101010 :towel:
Ben-Prime
Verified: ✅MamaSaysI'mBonaFide

Post by Ben-Prime »

Off Topic
northland10 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:45 pm Y'all must pronounce yer words sloowly and clearly with crisp consonants, and without that suthrn drawl.
One of the things I have found living overseas is that if I don't have a VPN turned on my phone, and set to connect to the U.S., the Voice-to-Text consistently fails spectacularly and embarassingly. When I was in Bangladesh, I'd sometimes forget, and I'd look down after speaking for a good 30 seconds into my phone to make a longish rambling message to my son or my brother, and I'd just stare at my phone screen in horror as to what I would have sent had I hit the 'send' key before that look down. :) Even now, in the UK, where they allegedly speak some kind of English, it still happens, though not to that degree.

VPN before VtT. Trust me on this one.
But the sunshine aye shall light the sky,
As round and round we run;
And the truth shall ever come uppermost,
And justice shall be done.

- Charles Mackay, "Eternal Justice"
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

Revealed: scale of abuse and sexual harassment of women in UK military
‘Widespread’ mistreatment linked to physical pain, fatigue, alcohol abuse and depression, research finds

Andrew Gregory Health editor
Mon 25 Oct 2021 23.30 BST

Women are suffering serious and long-lasting physical and mental health problems from “widespread” emotional bullying, sexual harassment and physical assault in the UK military, research reveals.

Those most likely to have experienced such treatment were younger personnel, those who have held the rank of officer or had a combat or combat support role, according to findings published in the BMJ Military Health journal.

Of 750 female veterans surveyed, 22.5% said they had been sexually harassed, while 5.1% said they had been sexually assaulted. Emotional bullying was inflicted on 22.7% of those women, while 3.3% said they had been physically assaulted.

Researchers found that sexual harassment in the forces was sparking physical somatisation, where mental distress causes women to suffer physical symptoms such as pain or fatigue.

Sexual assault is leading to alcohol problems, while emotional bullying is triggering anxiety, depression and loneliness, according to the research by the University of Oxford, King’s College London and the charity Combat Stress.

All types of bad treatment left the women at higher risk of post-traumatic stress disorder, and different types of adversity had specific impacts on women’s mental health and wellbeing.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... k-military
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Trump ‘Let‘s Go Brandon’ Figurines Were on Sale at U.S. Military Base

Workers at a U.S. military base mall somehow thought it was appropriate to sell figurines of Donald Trump holding an anti-Biden “Let’s Go Brandon” sign ahead of the holidays. The Anchorage Daily News reports that the ornaments—which were shaped like a bear but with Trump’s signature hair and red power tie and the “Brandon” sign—were on sale at Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson’s officially managed commercial facility. Chris Ward, senior public affairs manager for the Army & Air Force Exchange Service, said the independent figurine seller had a short-term contract with the mall which had ended by the time complaints started to come in. “The ornament is no longer being sold in the mall,” Ward said. “Once this product was identified, it was determined to be outside the established parameters for resale... Communication to incoming vendors will reflect the need to exclude products of this nature going forward.”
https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-let ... richardson
More: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/militar ... -guidance/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

Queen's Guard doesn't mess around. Lots of folks in the comments saying it was clearly a parenting fail. Dunno, but if I'm ever over the pond in the presence of those dudes, you can be sure I'll be keeping me and mine far away from any path they are traversing.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
raison de arizona

The new MAGA military welcomes Private Parts.
I like my MAGA boys how I like my coffee, ground up and in the freezer.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

This is interesting… a military judge dismissed manslaughter/negligent homicide charges with prejudice because a senior judge advocate threatened the career of the accused’s “individual military counsel.”

Under our rules, an accused will have defense counsel detailed to his case. He can also hire a civilian and keep his detailed counsel (I don’t know whether that has happened in this case). Additionally, he can request “individual military counsel” - who is a military lawyer of the accused’s own choosing. The IMC must be detailed if he is “reasonably available.” Having an IMC is rare, but it’s not unheard of. They’re usually in high-visibility cases.

It’s not clear from the article why this particular IMC was chosen. What is clear is that the IMC was threatened by the Deputy Director of the Judge Advocate Division.

According to Task and Purpose, the military judge ruled,
The facts in this case can be boiled down to a simple advert: a senior judge advocate who occupied a position of authority over the futures of young judge advocates made threatening comments to a young judge advocate about his career while this young judge advocate was assigned as IMC [individual military counsel] to a HIVIS [high visibility] case, creating an intolerable tension and conflict between an accused and his specifically requested military counsel,” Larsen wrote in his opinion. “His actions constitute actual and apparent UCI [Unlawful Command Influence].
Here’s what happened, according the Task and Purpose article,
Colonel Shaw then directly squared his shoulders and chair towards me and he did not break eye contact with me for a significant period of time,” Thomas said in an affidavit that was obtained by Task & Purpose. “During that time, Colonel Shaw specifically stated, ‘Captain Thomas I know who you are and what cases you are on and you are not protected.’ Colonel Shaw followed up by stating, ‘…the FitRep [fitness report] process may shield you, but you are not protected. Our community is small and there are promotion boards and the lawyer on the promotion board will know you.’ Colonel Shaw reiterated comments such as ‘shielded but not protected,’ multiple times.
The “fitrep process” Shaw was talking about says, essentially, that superiors can’t ding subordinates in their evals just because they’re defense counsel.

The Task and Purpose article also quoted the military judge as saying:
“The fact that Col Shaw caused the Accused’s IMC [individual military counsel] to question his ability to zealously advocate for his client and accordingly caused the Accused to question the abilities of his IMC has placed an intolerable strain on the public’s perception of the military justice system,” Larsen wrote. “What occurred would confirm the fears of some members of the public that the military justice system is stacked against the Accused and designed to come to the result the military desires.”
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/militar ... dXdqUe0N0o
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

while they may be J6 symphatisants, the ammo heist seems not terror related
accused both men of taking the ammunition for personal use at a shooting range near Fishtrap Lake at least twice in March.
Air Force Office of Special Investigations agents observed the men shooting ammunition taken from cans that appeared similar to those used for combat arms training. The packaging contained numbers that a check of base records showed had been expended on-base in training exercises months earlier, according to the affidavit.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

RTH10260 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:28 pm while they may be J6 symphatisants, the ammo heist seems not terror related
accused both men of taking the ammunition for personal use at a shooting range near Fishtrap Lake at least twice in March.
Air Force Office of Special Investigations agents observed the men shooting ammunition taken from cans that appeared similar to those used for combat arms training. The packaging contained numbers that a check of base records showed had been expended on-base in training exercises months earlier, according to the affidavit.
I suspect the military frowns on insurrectionist cells.
An undercover agent working with the Air Force’s Office of Special Investigations began chatting with Sanger, who “told the (agent) he is actively recruiting in hopes of forming a local cell of like-minded individuals.”
Where is Maybenaut?
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

I don't know where Maybenaut has been but Stormy was very wary of the new tablecloth today.
101010 :towel:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Stormy was also playing in the quilt before the bindings were sewn.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:04 pm I don't know where Maybenaut has been but Stormy was very wary of the new tablecloth today.
Okay, where is Stormy? (Handle?)
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

pipistrelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:12 pm
northland10 wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:04 pm I don't know where Maybenaut has been but Stormy was very wary of the new tablecloth today.
@StormyTheCat9
Image Image Image Image
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Estiveo wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:20 pm
pipistrelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:12 pm
@StormyTheCat9
Tanks
bob

Post by bob »

The Week: Retired army general loses consulting contract after mocking first lady in tweet:
Retired Lt. Gen. Gary Volesky, who won a Silver Star in Iraq and previously served as the Army's top spokesperson, was suspended from his $92-an-hour consulting contract and placed under investigation after apparently mocking first lady Jill Biden on Twitter.

"For nearly 50 years, women have had the right to make our own decisions about our bodies. Today, that right was stolen from us," Biden wrote on June 24 — the day the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade (1973) and returned the issue of abortion to the states.

In response, Volesky mocked the first lady's support of transgenderism in a now-deleted tweet. "Glad to see you finally know what a woman is," he wrote, according to a USA Today report published Saturday.
Image ImageImage
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

re fire on Bonnehome Richard (transformed to scrap metal) originally here:
viewtopic.php?p=55171&hilit=bonhomme&si ... 585#p55171
New details emerge about the 2020 Bonhomme Richard fire, ahead of censure of three-star

By Megan Eckstein
Tuesday, Jul 5

WASHINGTON — The initial response to the July 2020 fire that destroyed the multibillion-dollar amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard was uncoordinated and hampered by confusion as to which admiral should cobble together Navy and civilian firefighters, according to new information from the then-head of Naval Surface Forces.

The discombobulation in those early hours meant sailors may have missed a small window to contain the fire in a storage area. One admiral who said he lacked authority to issue an order pleaded with the ship’s commanding officer to get back on the ship and fight the fire, when the CO and his crew were waiting on the pier. And when that admiral — now-retired Vice Adm. Rich Brown — found the situation so dire that he called on other another command to intervene, it refused, Brown said in an interview.

Brown, who led Naval Surface Forces and Naval Surface Force Pacific from January 2018 to August 2020, told Defense News in June he set up an ad hoc chain of command to coordinate trying to save the ship that Sunday morning, after seeing lower-level leaders struggle to communicate or to fight the fire aggressively. The move came after the fleet’s operational chain of command declined to step in due to confusion over who had control over the ship.

An investigation into the fire, released in October 2021, outlined several failures leading up to the fire and during the response. But Brown’s comments offer additional details and a new perspective on how the fire response came together and what was left out of the formal investigation.

more at https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2022/ ... hree-star/
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

... the fleet’s operational chain of command declined to step in due to confusion over who had control over the ship.
Jeazess H. Kreist on a pogo stick. :o

That's something that is NEVER supposed to happen.
Out from under. :thumbsup:
RTH10260

Post by RTH10260 »

Navy Announces Punishments for Bonhomme Richard Fire, SECNAV Censures Former SWO Boss

By: Sam LaGrone
July 15, 2022 2:11 PM • Updated: July 17, 2022 10:17 AM

More than 20 sailors were punished for the four-day fire that led to the loss of the warship Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) in 2020, the Navy announced Friday.

The actions ordered by U.S. Pacific Fleet commander Adm. Samuel Paparo include letters of reprimand and forfeitures of pay for former commander Bonhomme Richard Capt. Gregory Thoroman and executive officer Capt. Michael Ray, as well as a punitive letter of reprimand for the ship’s Command Master Chief Jose Hernandez, according to a statement from the service provided to USNI News.

Paparo served as the consolidated decision authority to oversee accountability actions following the completion of former 3rd Fleet commander Vice Adm. Scott Conn’s command investigation into the fire, which was released in October. He determined the punishments in a series of admiral’s masts December through January, a Navy official told USNI News.

“The disposition decisions included six Nonjudicial Punishments (NJP) with guilty findings, two NJPs with Matter of Interest Filings (MIF) and a Letter of Instruction (LOI), two NJP dismissals with a warning, one additional MIF, five other LOIs, three Non-Punitive Letters of Caution (NPLOC), two letters to former sailors documenting substandard performance, and six no-action determinations,” according to a statement from the service.
“Paparo’s CDA accountability actions were primarily focused on USS Bonhomme Richard’s leadership and the fire response team.”

Paparo also issued letters of instruction to Rear Adm. Scott Brown, U.S. Pacific Fleet director of fleet maintenance and Rear Adm. Eric Ver Hage, commander, Navy Regional Maintenance Center.

The former commander of Southwest Regional Maintenance Center, Capt. David Hart and former commander of Naval Base San Diego Capt. Mark Nieswiadomy both received letters of instruction, a Navy official told USNI News on Friday.

more at https://news.usni.org/2022/07/15/navy-a ... r-swo-boss
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

Foggy wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 6:51 am
... the fleet’s operational chain of command declined to step in due to confusion over who had control over the ship.
Jeazess H. Kreist on a pogo stick. :o

That's something that is NEVER supposed to happen.
Shades of Uvalde.
Maybenaut

Post by Maybenaut »

This is seriously fucked up.

A multi-billion dollar warship is destroyed and no one goes to court-martial.

My client lies to the cops, they don’t believe him so he tells a different story (which may or may not have been the truth), and he gets four years in prison for “misprision” even though the cops never went on any wild goose chase.

Or the guy who got 10 years for housing allowance fraud totaling about 3K.

Or the guy who …

Nevermind. The lesson in all of this is that senior officers and senior enlisted people get slapped on the wrist no matter how serious the consequences of their misconduct might be. These NJPs might be career ending, but these folks will likely get to keep their retirement.

Junior enlisted people who commit misconduct where the consequences are relatively minor get steamrolled. They get to go to prison and spend the rest of their lives dealing with the consequences of a felony conviction.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

"... and justice for all." :point:
Out from under. :thumbsup:

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”