Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Train Travel

Volkonski
Verified:

Re: Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

Ninja'd ;)

Some commuter rail systems will be affected also.
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Things are going to get very bad very quickly. Supplies of crude oil and various other petroleum fuel ingredients are already unusually low.

Not just fuel. Most of the plastic resins used to make every plastic product are shipped by rail. If the trains stop those plants will start shutting down within days.

Without a steady flow of empty rail hopper cars being returned to the resin plants they will have to shut down since there will be nowhere to put the resin they produce. Onsite storage capacity is measured in hours not days.

All this will back up into the refineries forcing them to shut down.

Ports will back up without trains to take the ISO containers away. We have experienced that on the west coast quite recently.

Next several days may be too interesting. :?
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Please oh please oh please...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/ra ... r-AA11QHjN
Rail Strike Averted After White House Brokers ‘Tentative’ Deal—Here’s What You Need To Know
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Slim Cognito wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:54 am Please oh please oh please...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/ra ... r-AA11QHjN
Rail Strike Averted After White House Brokers ‘Tentative’ Deal—Here’s What You Need To Know
And here's why that's terrible for Joe Biden and Democrats:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

They reached a tentative deal so now the membership will vote on it after a cooling-off period.

Railroad strike averted after marathon talks reach tentative deal

Schedules may not yet be back in order. Good thing I am working from home because a UP strike would have shut down my Metra line.

Rail Worker Strike Averted For Now, But Some Metra, Amtrak Trains May Still Have Disrupted Schedules

Edit: Ninja'd, I forgot to look one page forward.
101010 :towel:
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

northland10 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:00 am .....
Edit: Ninja'd, I forgot to look one page forward.
Welcome to my world.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

So now shippers and train travelers have to wait for the union members to vote.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
northland10

Post by northland10 »

Volkonski wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:51 pm So now shippers and train travelers have to wait for the union members to vote.
Wait for service to be restored or wait to see if this will all start over again? Amtrak is working to restore the canceled trains and Metra has already reversed some of the Thursday night cancellations they had on Union Pacific and BNSF lines.

I think they go back to business as usual for now as they want the union to cool before voting.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

Wait to see if it starts all over again.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... ed-trains/
HORNELL, N.Y. — In a sprawling complex surrounded by hills, hundreds of yellow-vested workers are building the nation’s fastest trains — resembling the European-style rail cars that have largely been absent from American tracks.

The buzz of activity fills the Alstom manufacturing plant in this small western New York town, where concrete floors shine and the whizzing of drills echoes to the high ceilings. In every direction, Amtrak’s most advanced rail cars sit in various stages of construction.

The new Acela trains will roll through the nation’s busiest rail stations beginning next year, representing a significant step toward America’s aspirations for modern, faster and more reliable intercity train service. The trains will overhaul passenger service in the busy Northeast Corridor, aiming to improve safety, reliability, rider comfort and capacity.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

:think: :think: :think:

Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Train Travel

Post by RTH10260 »

stumbled into this episode

whole channel on train trips https://youtube.com/c/DownieLive

Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

America faces a possible rail strike in two weeks after largest union rejects labor deal

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/21/business ... index.html
America faces a growing risk of a crippling national freight rail strike in two weeks after rank-and-file members of the nation’s largest rail union, which represents the industry’s conductors, rejected a tentative labor deal with freight railroads, the union announced Monday.

The nation’s second-largest rail union, which represents engineers, ratified its own contract. But the failure of the conductors to ratify their own deal is another setback to efforts to avoid a crippling nationwide rail strike.

With these votes, all 12 rail unions have now completed their ratification process, with members of eight of the unions voting in favor of deals and four voting against it. The four unions that have voted no will remain on the job until at least early next month while negotiations are held to try to avoid a strike that could cause widespread disruptions in the nation’s still struggling supply chain and overall economy.
Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

Plan To Bring LIRR Service To East Side On Track To Start In 2022: MTA
According to the MTA, the project symbolizes a "huge increase to service, with 41 percent more trains system-wide on the LIRR."

https://patch.com/new-york/northfork/pl ... -55n-zwtkA
A project that will bring long-awaited Long Island Rail Road trains to the East Side of Manhattan that's been years in the making is still slated to open by the end of 2022, MTA officials told Patch Tuesday.

According to the MTA's website, the project known as East Side Access will culminate with the opening of Grand Central Madison, a new terminal along Madison Avenue between 43rd and 48th Streets.

Not only will the new terminal mean easier access to the East Side for Long Island commuters, it will save those same passengers up to 40 minutes of travel time per day, the MTA said.

:snippity:

According to the MTA site, about 45 percent of LIRR commuters are expected to go to Grand Central Madison, so there will be less crowding at Penn Station and the surrounding subway lines.
Gupwalla

Train Travel

Post by Gupwalla »

“I negotiated a contract no one else could negotiate. What was negotiated was so much better than anything they ever had.”
I did a double-take reading that quotation, because I was sure the AP had slipped in a quotation from the wrong President. But nope, that’s the current President speaking.

Looks like Congress has completed passage of a bill to require the proposed September labor settlement be enforced on all parties. Biden will continue to push Congress for universal paid sick time — the key issue that was causing some unions to reject this settlement.
Kendra

Train Travel

Post by Kendra »

How cool is this?

Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

‘Masterclass in poor service’: rail passenger hits out at Avanti over £589 ticket
Performer criticises operator over cancellations in journey after paying ‘eye-watering’ price for first-class Brighton-Bangor return

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... 1670776991
The bulk of the journey, between Bangor and London Euston, is on Avanti West Coast, the much-maligned operator that managed to run just 39% of its trains on time between July and September this year. The Avanti portion of the ticket was £498.60.

By comparison, a first class Interrail ticket offering unlimited train travel in 33 European countries for 15 days costs €590 (£508).

His ticket should have guaranteed him a Christmas dinner with wine, but on his outward leg from Euston to Bangor on Saturday afternoon, the driver announced there would be no first-class service because of staff shortages.

On his return journey, he was waiting at Bangor station on Sunday morning for the 10.05 train to Euston, only for the train to be cancelled at 10.07.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

:eek:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Train Travel

Post by keith »

Kendra wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:38 pm How cool is this?

https: //www.facebook.com/watch?v=980225356699674
Seeing some of the other trains running with the music train, I was hoping they would end with the 1812 Overture and with a giant crash for the cannon. :popcorn:

I got hooked on a series of videos pushed on me by faceache a while back. They were some guy who runs 'Locker Nuts' that buys abandoned storage lockers and cleans them out. He struck it rich on one locker - it was filled to the ceiling with model trains, airplanes, ships, etc, etc, etc. Guestimate was $400k from a locker he bought for $1. He took 8 episodes going through the contents I think, so he had time to research and come up with some backstory. It seems it was owned by an ex-Apple engineer that dreamed of building a model setup like the one in the video - and was seemingly well on his way.

He had everything you could imagine in that locker but it turns out it was just one of (at least) six. And they were BIG lockers. When he died unexpectedly, his family/estate sold off some of the contents, but got tired, ran out of energy, whatever, and auctioned off this one locker, then Locker Nuts got a second one. Maybe others too, I don't know.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
northland10

Train Travel

Post by northland10 »

keith wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:04 pm
Kendra wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:38 pm How cool is this?

https: //www.facebook.com/watch?v=980225356699674
Seeing some of the other trains running with the music train, I was hoping they would end with the 1812 Overture and with a giant crash for the cannon.
How 'bout Pachebel (about the only way I can stand that canon)?

Return to “General Stuff”