Train Travel

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Train Travel

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:winner:

My brother named that "Taco Bell's Cannon".
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

Well, that's ... different. :biggrin:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

CNN
@CNN@newsrelay.org
Who's manning the train? Railroads want a one-person crew - When a freight train travels across the country, two people are in the cab of the locomotive working to keep the train, its often hazardous and flammable contents, and the communities they are passing through, all safe. #cnn

https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/business/fr
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Train Travel

Post by neonzx »

Volkonski wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:59 pm CNN
@CNN@newsrelay.org
Who's manning the train? Railroads want a one-person crew - When a freight train travels across the country, two people are in the cab of the locomotive working to keep the train, its often hazardous and flammable contents, and the communities they are passing through, all safe. #cnn
https://www.cnn.com/2022/12/14/business/fr
Cool. And let's do that with commercial aircraft, too!

(because a crew member never has a medical emergency)
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Train Travel

Post by Frater I*I »

neonzx wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:21 pm :snippity:
Cool. And let's do that with commercial aircraft, too!

(because a crew member never has a medical emergency)
In aviation maintenance we say in the future there will be two things in the flight deck...a pilot and a dog....

The pilot's job will be to feed the dog....

The dog's job will be to bite the pilot if they try to touch anything...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Train Travel

Post by RTH10260 »

My understanding till now was that the first engineer drives the train, the second engineer goes back miles (not to pick up Camel cigarettes) to find the lose end in the brake line and the missing wagons. :think:
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Train Travel

Post by northland10 »

The link appears to be broken though the railroads have been trying to go to a single person for years. They want to reduce their operating costs because it "creates value" which, to me, translates as "showing off to shareholders, especially big ones."

The Lac-Mégantic rail disaster was with a train that only had a single engineer. Without a second person, nobody is double-checking safety procedures.

As far as I understand, a freight train on US mainline routes has 2 persons, an engineer who drives the train and a conductor who is in charge of the consist (i.e., all of the stuff they are pulling). One concern I have is, since the railroads also want to make longer and longer trains, what will this do when the train has a problem, such as a broken line? With one person, they will have to walk up to 2 miles back to fix a line, walk back to see if it worked, then walk back again to fix something again. Rinse and repeat. All that time, they may be blocking traffic and taking much longer to deliver their cargo. And while they claim Precision Railroad Scheduling makes things more efficient, the reduction in maintenance crews that have happened due to Precision Railroad Scheduling will mean more breakdowns.

They talk about how Precisions Scheduling makes it more efficient, but it really does not.

Oh, and if there is a medical emergency? The train may stop since they have things that identify if somebody is still driving (if there is no change on the controls, they have to hit a button every few minutes), but nobody will know there is a problem. All you have is some train that mysteriously stopped.

The only purpose for single-person crews is to tell shareholders or a board, "look, we reduced operating expenses." They don't give two shits about safety or even efficiency.

I even doubt their interest in profit. I once asked Union Pacific staff (conductors and others I knew) why UP did not sit down with Metra and see if they could transfer the operations of the three lines Union Pacific runs under contract for Metra to Metra to run themselves (except for dispatching). I was told that with the contracts and subsidies, UP makes a pretty good profit on the commuter runs (and Metra pays for extra goodies like switch heaters which UP would not bother with but likes the benefit for their freight if they don't have to pay for them).

When Union Pacific decided to jump on the Precision Scheduling bandwagon (thanks Hunter Harrison for letting loose this idiocy), they decided they no longer wanted to operate the commuter lines. Despite apparently making money, since commuter lines require more staffing and operations costs UP no longer wanted to do it. It was more important to show you are spending less on operations than making an actual profit. They give up actual cash profits for a ratio on a report.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Train Travel

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:47 pm The link appears to be broken though the railroads have been trying to go to a single person for years. They want to reduce their operating costs because it "creates value" which, to me, translates as "showing off to shareholders, especially big ones."

The Lac-Mégantic rail disaster was with a train that only had a single engineer. Without a second person, nobody is double-checking safety procedures.
Or hitting the brakes if someone has an event.

While I don't know much about train operations, there's some complexity in sloping and curvy terrain, and too also sometimes the consist sucks. Be careful where you stick those empty center beams because a poor consist can derail a train faster than you can say jimmy Cricket. (Why would you say Jimmy Cricket?)
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Train Travel

Post by northland10 »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:05 pm
northland10 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:47 pm The link appears to be broken though the railroads have been trying to go to a single person for years. They want to reduce their operating costs because it "creates value" which, to me, translates as "showing off to shareholders, especially big ones."

While I don't know much about train operations, there's some complexity in sloping and curvy terrain, and too also sometimes the consist sucks. Be careful where you stick those empty center beams because a poor consist can derail a train faster than you can say jimmy Cricket. (Why would you say Jimmy Cricket?)
Most trains now have various dead-man switches with backups. The older type is a handle or pedal that must be held down or the train's emergency brakes kick in. Now, they also have other systems where a buzzer will sound (or some other alert), and if the engineer does not move a control, hit a button, move the handle/pedal, the emergency brakes will engage.

Ironically, in the last couple of days there has been a new commercial for train safety. It involves first responders arriving at a stopped train and having to run a long distance to the front to get to the vehicle the train just hit, pickup up pieces of the vehicle along the way. Their point is a train takes a long time to stop, and they trains themselves are long so it takes a long time to get to the injured person.
101010 :towel:
pipistrelle

Train Travel

Post by pipistrelle »

northland10 wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:16 pm

Most trains now have various dead-man switches with backups. The older type is a handle or pedal that must be held down or the train's emergency brakes kick in. Now, they also have other systems where a buzzer will sound (or some other alert), and if the engineer does not move a control, hit a button, move the handle/pedal, the emergency brakes will engage.
Thanks; I figured there were fancy electronics involved but still have to wonder how much is a second person costing per train that they must be cut? Yeah, probably not that much.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Train Travel

Post by keith »

:snippity:
(Why would you say Jimmy Cricket?)
Yeah, good question.

I mean Pinocchio's friend's name is Jiminy Cricket and in my book a talking, dancing, singing cricket deserves a little R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

So, indeed, why would you say Jimmy Cricket?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
pipistrelle

Train Travel

Post by pipistrelle »

keith wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 7:15 am
:snippity:
(Why would you say Jimmy Cricket?)
Yeah, good question.

I mean Pinocchio's friend's name is Jiminy Cricket and in my book a talking, dancing, singing cricket deserves a little R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

So, indeed, why would you say Jimmy Cricket?
That was autocorrect, dammit. I did type Jiminy.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transpor ... ns-trains/
Amtrak on Thursday unveiled details of the trains that will replace some of the carrier’s 50-year-old rail cars, starting in 2026.

The images offer a glimpse of the multi-powered Amtrak Airo trains being built in California by manufacturing company Siemens Mobility as part of Amtrak’s multibillion-dollar plan to upgrade its rolling stock over the next decade.

The rail cars will have panoramic windows, more comfortable seating with movable headrests, and cup and seatback tablet holders. The trains also will have a redesigned cafe car and come with individual power outlets and USB ports, onboard WiFi, and better lighting, officials said.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
realist

Train Travel

Post by realist »

All things old are new again?

https://www.messynessychic.com/2016/06/ ... uqejuifrmu
Train travel once played a large and vital part of America’s passenger transportation network, but today it’s taken a back seat– all the way in the back. Rail transportation in the nation now consists primarily of freight shipments, while passenger service plays a seriously limited role compared to train travel in many other countries. By the late 1950s, America’s railroad flagship passenger services were unable to compete with airlines, and it all pretty much went downhill from there. Which is frankly, pretty sad because when they were at their best, American railways really knew just how important the glamour and elegance of travel was to the passenger experience. Streamliners were designed to reduce air resistance, offering multi-day high-speed across journeys across the country in train cars resembling luxury hotels and private clubs. Life aboard them really did seem to reach a “high peak of enjoyment” as the brochure says…
some nice graphics at the link
Image X 4
Image X 32
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

realist wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:22 pm All things old are new again?

https://www.messynessychic.com/2016/06/ ... uqejuifrmu
Train travel once played a large and vital part of America’s passenger transportation network, but today it’s taken a back seat– all the way in the back. Rail transportation in the nation now consists primarily of freight shipments, while passenger service plays a seriously limited role compared to train travel in many other countries. By the late 1950s, America’s railroad flagship passenger services were unable to compete with airlines, and it all pretty much went downhill from there. Which is frankly, pretty sad because when they were at their best, American railways really knew just how important the glamour and elegance of travel was to the passenger experience. Streamliners were designed to reduce air resistance, offering multi-day high-speed across journeys across the country in train cars resembling luxury hotels and private clubs. Life aboard them really did seem to reach a “high peak of enjoyment” as the brochure says…
some nice graphics at the link
Thank you! I never traveled in those days, but we still like train travel. It's mostly about the scenery these days. It's still the most relaxing way to see the country. There are a lot of aggravations, like late trains, the changes in the dining car, etc. We travel first class, so our experience is different from the coach passengers, but we've taken trains that are day trains, no sleepers, and trains are still much more comfortable than an airplane.

I'm sure you could find pictures of plane travel at about the same time and see pretty much the same thing.

There are lots of places in the country where train travel makes more sense than plane travel, but there are drawbacks, too, mostly because Amtrak doesn't own the tracks. In spite of all the aggravations, when you travel across the country, you learn that there are lots of people who absolutely love train travel. We've met a lot of Europeans, who certainly are used to better, who still love taking the train in America because of the chance to see so much fabulous scenery.
realist

Train Travel

Post by realist »

I'm sure you could find pictures of plane travel at about the same time and see pretty much the same thing.
As and you shall receive.

Let’s Reminisce Over Airplanes That Had Piano Bars, Cocktail Lounges, Pubs, and Restaurants
And here’s the American Airlines economy class piano bar, located at the rear of the 747-100 cabin. The piano was of course technically an electric Wurlitzer organ, but hey, it’s live music on a plane. Think of all the singalongs we’re missing out on.
I actually flew on a plane that had a piano bar... and a bar. :)

https://www.messynessychic.com/2014/03/ ... uqejuifrmu
Image X 4
Image X 32
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

realist wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:44 pm
Ask and you shall receive.

Let’s Reminisce Over Airplanes That Had Piano Bars, Cocktail Lounges, Pubs, and Restaurants
And here’s the American Airlines economy class piano bar, located at the rear of the 747-100 cabin. The piano was of course technically an electric Wurlitzer organ, but hey, it’s live music on a plane. Think of all the singalongs we’re missing out on.
I actually flew on a plane that had a piano bar... and a bar. :)

https://www.messynessychic.com/2014/03/ ... uqejuifrmu
Nice. Thank you again!
pipistrelle

Train Travel

Post by pipistrelle »

When I first started taking Amtrak trains, people traveling alone would strike up conversations. You'd meet interesting characters most trips. Now people put on their media/earbuds of choice and never find out about the people around them (and vice versa). It's probably different on longer runs-longest I've done is 12 to 16 hours.
Volkonski
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by Volkonski »

Union Pacific railroad puts its shipping limits on hold

https://apnews.com/article/business-oma ... ce=Twitter
Union Pacific says it will stop imposing temporary limits on certain businesses’ shipments while it reviews the policy that federal regulators and shippers criticized at a hearing last week.

Union Pacific has put more than 1,000 of these embargoes in place this year — significantly more than all the other major freight railroads combined — as part of its effort to clear up congestion along the railroad. CEO Lance Fritz said a brief letter to the U.S. Surface Transportation Board Friday that UP will put all new embargoes on hold.

These orders that force businesses to temporarily limit their shipments and pull some of their railcars off of UP’s network caught regulators eye because they are up significantly over the past few years. In 2018, UP used 140 of them, according to the STB.

Members of the STB and companies that rely on railroads to deliver their raw materials and finished products said at last week’s two-day hearing that the embargoes disrupt business operations and drive up shipping costs because companies may have to resort to more expensive shipping options, like trucking.
A very large part of rail shippers are captive customers, ie they are only served by one railroad company.

Some years ago at my employer's Houston area facilities we were mostly served by Union Pacific. We were working on a project to get access to Southern Pacific too but before that was finished UP and SP merged. :(
“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Train Travel

Post by raison de arizona »

Passenger trains in US vs Europe
2996C9C5-7F80-45AB-8686-BFAA6335787A.jpeg
2996C9C5-7F80-45AB-8686-BFAA6335787A.jpeg (254.35 KiB) Viewed 554 times
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

Not surprising.

In the US, we've been on most of the itineraries, even on that one in Mexico (Copper Canyon) at least once, but we have some more to do. Have no goal to do them all, though. Spokane to Portland, all at night, starting from either direction; no real reason to do that when we travel for the scenery. Next trip, Pittsburgh to Boston, by way of Chicago in order to ride the Lake Shore Limited.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Train Travel

Post by Foggy »

Lots of trains means Democratic cities. Look at the map. :biggrin:
The more I learn about this planet, the more improbable it all seems. :confuzzled:
pipistrelle

Train Travel

Post by pipistrelle »

raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:54 am Passenger trains in US vs Europe
A little unfair since most of Europe has been densely populated for a long time and has lots of historic places for tourists, and places like Wyoming can muster only 1 House representative. :biggrin:
AndyinPA
Verified:

Train Travel

Post by AndyinPA »

pipistrelle wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:46 pm
raison de arizona wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 11:54 am Passenger trains in US vs Europe
A little unfair since most of Europe has been densely populated for a long time and has lots of historic places for tourists, and places like Wyoming can muster only 1 House representative. :biggrin:
Yep!
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Train Travel

Post by keith »

In April, we are doing the Indian-Pacific (Sydney to Perth). When we get to Perth, we'll drive down to Albany and back via Margaret River wine country. Then we fly up to Ningaloo Reef and swim with the Whale Sharks before flying home.

We are starting to plan for a 2024 trip on the Ghan from Darwin to Adelaide. We've done the Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs, but that was before they completed the line to Darwin. The plan is that friends will do the Ghan South to North, we'll fly to meet them in Darwin. They'll fly home and we'll take the Ghan south. It's subject to change however, depending on the finances and health of our travelling partners.

Has everybody heard about the bird?

Return to “General Stuff”