Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Nancy Pelosi: former Speaker of the U.S. House, Nancy Patricia Pelosi; née D'Alesandro

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Suranis

Nancy Pelosi: Speaker of the U.S. House, Nancy Patricia Pelosi; née D'Alesandro

Post by Suranis »

Very nice portrait, has to be said.
Hic sunt dracones
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-12-29/ ... /101815498

The man who allegedly broke into US House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's home and beat her 82-year-old husband in October pleaded not guilty on Wednesday, local time, to six charges, including attempted murder, prosecutors said.

Key points:
David DePape entered the plea on state charges that will be heard in court again in February next year
The charges he is facing over the October 28 attack include attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon
In a preliminary hearing earlier this month, police testified that Mr DePape was looking to harm Nancy Pelosi

Authorities said the suspect, David DePape, had planned to kidnap the speaker — who was in Washington at the time of the attack — when he broke into the couple's San Francisco home on October 28.
:snippity:
Mr DePape is still being held without bail and his state case is due to return to court on February 23, 2023.

The public defender's office declined to comment on the matter.

A federal case in which Mr DePape has also pleaded not guilty is also ongoing.

He is charged in state court with attempted murder, first-degree residential burglary, elder abuse, assault with a deadly weapon, false imprisonment and threatening a family member of a public official.
:snippity:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/27/politics ... index.html
Video and audio recorded last year during the attack on Paul Pelosi will be released Friday, after a California court ruled the district attorney’s office must make the materials public.

Audio from police interviews with alleged attacker David DePape, as well as 911 calls, police body camera footage and home surveillance video, among other investigative material, is set for release at noon ET, according to the San Francisco Superior Court.

CNN previously reported that police body cam footage from the incident is expected to show what officers saw when Pelosi, husband of former Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, opened the door to the couple’s San Francisco home and his assailant attacked him with a hammer, fracturing his skull.
:?: Should thread title be changed to add Former Speaker of the House?
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Kendra wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:56 am :?: Should thread title be changed to add Former Speaker of the House?
Done.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Dr. Ken

Nancy Pelosi: former Speaker of the U.S. House, Nancy Patricia Pelosi; née D'Alesandro

Post by Dr. Ken »

Body cam footage released
ImageImagePhilly Boondoggle
bob

Post by bob »

Unsurprisingly, those who were demanding that the footage be released still aren't satisfied.

They still have "questions": Why does Pelosi have a drink? Why is he smiling? :brickwallsmall:

It is as if attempting to mollify the anklesbiters is a pointless effort. (See, e.g., birthers.)
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/fox-n ... 4f768397cc
The police footage shows suspect David DePape inside Pelosi’s San Francisco home in October. DePape is accused of attacking Pelosi with a hammer. Footage shows police arriving at the house and telling DePape to drop the hammer. He doesn’t comply and attacks Pelosi with the weapon.

The footage was aired on Outnumbered on Friday after Faulkner and others discussed the body cam video, along with surveillance footage of a man outside the home before police arrived.

“The producers are apologizing to me, but I want to apologize to you,” Faulkner said immediately after airing the footage. “We had no idea what that was going to look like and that should have had a warning and a graphic warning before we showed it and then on screen.”

She turned to Fox Business host Kennedy, noting she “looked away” while the footage played.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Where are all the “experts” who said the window had been broken from the inside? :mad: :mad:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

Amazing -- a conspiracy theory a Fox News guest pushed about the Paul Pelosi attack was debunked in real time, live on air by video that played as he spoke. Here's the whole exchange. (ht
@justinbaragona
)
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

jemcanada2 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:44 pm Where are all the “experts” who said the window had been broken from the inside? :mad: :mad:
They’re on Twitter, seen that posted several times today.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I thought lawyers suggesst not to hold interviews as defendants ...
In A Chilling Interview With A Californian Radio Station, Paul Pelosi's Attacker Said He Was Sorry He Didn't Injure More People

Amber Jamieson
Sat, January 28, 2023 at 9:53 PM GMT+1

In a bizarre and chilling interview with a California radio station, the man accused of striking Nancy Pelosi's husband Paul with a hammer described himself as a patriot attempting to overturn tyranny and apologized for not attacking more Democrats.

"Now that you have all seen the bodycam footage, I have an important message for everyone in America: You're welcome," David DePape, 42, who is facing charges of attempted murder, assault, and elder abuse, told KTVU's Amber Lee.

DePape called Lee on Friday afternoon, shortly after bodycam footage by police was released showing the moment when he struck 82-year-old Pelosi in the head with a hammer.

"Freedom and liberty isn't dying, it's being killed systemically and deliberately," said DePape. "The people killing it have names and addresses. So I got their names and addresses so I could pay them a little visit, have a heart-to-heart chat about their bad behavior."

DePape, 42, is accused of breaking into the Pelosis' San Francisco home in the middle of the night in October 2022, demanding to speak to Nancy, the then Speaker of the House. He later told investigators he had planned to hold her hostage and break her kneecaps.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/chilling-int ... 27547.html
(original: BuzzFeed News)
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

https://twitter.com/speakerpelosi/statu ... 1918099462
Nancy Pelosi @SpeakerPelosi wrote: Whatever the Grand Jury decides, its consideration makes clear: no one is above the law, not even a former President of the United States.

The former president’s announcement this morning is reckless: doing so to keep himself in the news & to foment unrest among his supporters.

He cannot hide from his violations of the law, disrespect for our elections and incitements to violence.

Rightfully, our legal system will decide how to hold him accountable.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://apnews.com/article/pelosi-house ... 1122f291e4
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Friday that she will run for reelection to another term in Congress as Democrats work to win back the majority in 2024.

Pelosi made the announcement before labor allies in the San Francisco area district she has represented for more than 35 years.

“Now more than ever our City needs us to advance San Francisco values and further our recovery,” Pelosi, 83, said in a tweet. “Our country needs America to show the world that our flag is still there, with liberty and justice for ALL. That is why I am running for reelection — and respectfully ask for your vote.”
She still seems sharp, but I would like to see her step aside.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Agree and agree.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

It scared me a minute when they said breaking news about Nancy Pelosi and I feared the worst for a minute.
New Turtle

Post by New Turtle »

At least don't run for speaker again after the democrats take the House.
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Agree and agree as well.

Of my knowledge of our history was the framers did not expect nor want politicians to entrench themselves for a life long career. Love you dear and thank you for your service, but go home Nancy.
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Why not? The way the Republicans squeal about her, you know she was their worst nightmare.

Anyway, she's given that up so there is no way someone else is letting go of it. Once you give up power there is no getting it back. She is sharp enough to know that.
Hic sunt dracones
bob

Post by bob »

Oxane Taub, the purported former life partner of David DePape — the man who allegedly attacked Paul Pelosi inside his California home — says DePape has "been mentally ill for a long time."
I came across an "update" from Taub about the trial, which she is attending.

Taub is defending the father of children, essentially arguing there's insufficient evidence of any criminal activity.

Taub is a felon and unreliable narrator; what she describes and predicts tends to be the opposite of reality.
Image ImageImage
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/16/politics ... index.html
A jury has found David DePape guilty on two counts in the violent attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, last year in the couple’s San Francisco home.

DePape was convicted in federal court of one count of assault on the immediate family member of a federal official, and a second count of attempted kidnapping of a federal official. He faces a maximum sentence of 30 years and 20 years, respectively.

A state case against DePape that includes charges of attempted murder, burglary and assault is expected to go to trial later this month.

This is a breaking story and will be updated.
bob

Post by bob »

A jury has found David DePape guilty on two counts in the violent attack on Paul Pelosi, the husband of former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, last year in the couple’s San Francisco home.
Tuesday: KTVU (FOX local): David DePape apologizes for hammer attack on Paul Pelosi:
David DePape testified, tearfully at times, in his own defense on Tuesday about attacking Nancy Pelosi's husband in the couples' San Francisco home.

Jurors heard DePape express regret for smacking Paul Pelosi in the head with a hammer, fracturing his skull.

"When he was on the ground breathing, I was really scared for his life," DePape said in federal court in San Francisco. "And later in the hospital, I felt really bad for him because we had a really good rapport and things were going good until the last second."

"He was never my target and I’m sorry that he got hurt," DePape said.

"I reacted because my plan was basically ruined," he said when asked why he hit Pelosi.

"I recall hitting him once," DePape said. "The medical report says he was probably hit more, but I only recall once."

DePape has pleaded not guilty to attempted kidnapping of a federal official and assault on the immediate family member of a federal official with intent to retaliate against the official for performance of their duties.

His attorneys argue that he was not seeking to go after Nancy Pelosi because of her official duties as a member of Congress and so the charges do not fit.
DePape didn't deny that he attacked then-Speaker Pelosi's husband; his defense essentially was that he didn't have the required mental state for these particular charges.
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Image ImageImage
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

So his defense was that he really regretted that it was not Nancy Pelosi that he hit. Ok. Interesting strategy.
Hic sunt dracones

Return to “Current Politics”