Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Nancy Pelosi: former Speaker of the U.S. House, Nancy Patricia Pelosi; née D'Alesandro

Trying to make sense of a crazy world, with limited success mostly
Kendra

Nancy Pelosi: Speaker of the U.S. House, Nancy Patricia Pelosi; née D'Alesandro

Post by Kendra »

Just flashed on screen, SFPD press conference at 6PM Eastern = 3PM Pacific. Minutes away.
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

noblepa wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:57 pm
bill_g wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 6:58 am Those darn naked people.
Careful. Deep down, underneath all these clothes, we're all naked.
Well, may you are, but personally, I got clothes on under my clothes.

It is unseasonably cold in Melbourne, and I haven't been able to get nekkid even once so far. Usually I'm half nekkid all the time around the beginning of October.
Has everybody heard about the bird?
Maybenaut
Verified: ✅✅

Post by Maybenaut »

Kendra wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:11 pm :crazy:

Now, I am not a lawyer and also I've never been charged with a crime, but doesn't he need to go in front of a judge, get arraigned and the judge sets bail before he can be bailed out?
Yes. And the chances of this guy getting bail hover around zero.
"Hey! We left this England place because it was bogus, and if we don't get some cool rules ourselves, pronto, we'll just be bogus too!" -- Thomas Jefferson
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Maybenaut wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:28 am
Kendra wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:11 pm :crazy:

Now, I am not a lawyer and also I've never been charged with a crime, but doesn't he need to go in front of a judge, get arraigned and the judge sets bail before he can be bailed out?
Yes. And the chances of this guy getting bail hover around zero.
That was my uninformed guess, given he's a clear danger to anyone he disagrees with.
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

And also given that he'll be swarmed by right-wing locusts hoping to use him for propaganda purposes, and he may just be a little bit more disturbed than even that Rittenasshole dude, so it could get really interesting.

It will anyway. Can you imagine the circus, when he starts making court appearances? :o
Out from under. :thumbsup:
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

On the commute home last night, NPR said the prosecutor was asking for no bail because he was a danger to the public.

Whoa duh

His bisquits aren't baked. They never got into the oven. The man can find every CT article on the web, but can't figure out that Madam Speaker is still in DC. And then he intended to stand his ground against the cops with duct tape and a hammer. I'd go through the J6 videos to see if he was there. Might as well pile on every charge you can.
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

Oh Golly Jeepers!

The Capitol Police had cameras, but weren’t watching.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... HInAumXAXY
Capitol Police cameras caught break-in at Pelosi home, but no one was watching
The attack on Paul Pelosi has sparked an urgent conversation about lawmaker security amid increased threats

Aaron C. Davis

Inside the command center for the U.S. Capitol Police, a handful of officers were going through their routines early Friday morning, cycling through live feeds from the department’s 1,800 cameras used to monitor the nearby Capitol complex as well as some points beyond, when an officer stopped. On a screen showing a darkened street nearly 3,000 miles away, police lights were flashing outside the home of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), officials say.

The officer in D.C. quickly pulled up additional camera angles from around Pelosi’s home and began to backtrack, watching recordings from the minutes before San Francisco police arrived. There, on camera, was a man with a hammer, breaking a glass panel and entering the speaker’s home, according to three people familiar with how Capitol Police learned of the break-in and who have been briefed on or viewed the video themselves.
What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

Found a pretty intersting article on the "Why is the glass on the outside?" question. Oh, and to whoever was asking me what book I was reading earlier, I think I read it in a weekly encyclopedia I got when I was a child called "Joy of Knowledge" that covered a massive range of topics.
The analysis of the direction of force against panes of glass was first analyzed by S. N. Matwejeff, director of the crime laboratory in Odessa, Ukraine, Russia and first published in 1929.

The Matwejeff experiments were the result of examining a crime scene where a drunk and disorderly man was reportedly killed by his son at their home. The suspect son had claimed that an intruder had broken into the home through a kitchen window and had killed his father. Matwejeff's work had focused upon experimental breaking of dozens of glass panes similar to that of the kitchen window. He made several observations from his experiments.

First, the direction of force CANNOT be determined from observing the amount of glass on one or the other side of the direction of force due to the elastic supercooled nature of glass where, upon breaking, depending upon the nature, speed, and angle of the breaking mechanism, glass shards/pieces may move in either direction.

Second, upon breaking, plate or sheet glass will form radial fractures coming out from the point of impact and, if the breaking blow is strong enough, concentric fractures may also form to absorb the force of the blow. On the cut edge of the radial fractures, there will be stress lines (called ridge lines) forming that will arc across the cut edge surface. These arced stress lines will form a sort of right angle to the rear of the direction of force. This has become known as the "Four-R Rule" (Ridge lines on Radial fractures are at Right angles to the Rear of the direction of force).

Matwejeff's article was first translated into German in the 1930s, and eventually translated to English in the late 1930s (there was a lot going on in Germany in the 1930s).
More at the link

https://www.quora.com/How-can-a-forensi ... de?share=1
Hic sunt dracones
Greatgrey
Verified: 💲8️⃣

Post by Greatgrey »

What's the Frequency, Kenneth?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
WASHINGTON — U.S. Capitol Police security cameras captured the break-in at Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s San Francisco home last week in which her husband, Paul, was viciously assaulted, but costly minutes went by before any officer reviewed the footage, according to a person familiar with the matter.

WASHINGTON — U.S. Capitol Police security cameras captured the break-in at Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s San Francisco home last week in which her husband, Paul, was viciously assaulted, but costly minutes went by before any officer reviewed the footage, according to a person familiar with the matter.

By the time the Capitol Police looked at the camera feed — among hundreds the agency is responsible for monitoring — and were aware of the crime, Mr. Pelosi had called 911 and the San Francisco police were on the scene.

The wasted minutes were flagged by a security review of the episode undertaken by the Capitol Police. The review has also found that the San Francisco police stopped posting a car in front of the Pelosi household 24 hours a day as the agency had after the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, the person said.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

I am surprised that the Pelosis did not have glass shatter detectors on the windows exposed to the ground floor, and the alarm system linked up to Capitol Police.
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Early on I'd read that the breaking glass did set off a security system. Is that not the case?
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

I’m amazed at the number of people on Twitter who are mind readers and experts in reading glass patterns and making giant, leaping inferences. They’ll all be glad to be character witlesses for him since they know his mind so well.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

The security system is monitored from DC when the Speaker is at home but no one was actually sitting and watching it. The question is, what’s the policy? Is it to be monitored 24/7?
Suranis

Post by Suranis »

I don't have my Alarm running when I am at home. He could simply have turned it off rather than have it going off if he wanted to open a window.

And if they had one bored guy staring at hundreds of Camera monitors, no wonder he missed it.
Hic sunt dracones
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

Phoenix520 wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:27 pm I’m amazed at the number of people on Twitter who are mind readers and experts in reading glass patterns and making giant, leaping inferences. They’ll all be glad to be character witlesses for him since they know his mind so well.
Reminds me of an episode of the original CSI, when the bearded guy was the lead investigator. A few other spin-offs had launched, which were ridiculous, portraying the investigators as bang-bang, shoot-em-up LE officers chasing down the bad guys themselves. Anyhoo, back to the original, in an episode another character asked bearded guy what he thought of all the CSI shows on tv and the character responded, "I don't like them. They aren't realistic."

It made me giggle.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/03/politics ... index.html
ICE issues so-called immigration “detainers” to federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies to inform them that the agency intends to take custody of an individual and requests that ICE be notified before that individual is released.

The detainer is unlikely to affect DePape’s case since deportations often happen after criminal cases are resolved. But after conviction and prison sentence, the US normally would seek deportation.

According to federal records, DePape, a Canadian citizen, entered the country in early March at the San Ysidro port of entry, which is along the California-Mexico border, as a temporary visitor. Generally, Canadians who are visiting for business or pleasure don’t require a visa and are allowed to stay in the US for six months.

DePape, 42, has been charged with a litany of crimes, including assault, attempted murder and attempted kidnapping, following last week’s break-in at Pelosi’s San Francisco home, the US attorney’s office and San Francisco district attorney announced on Monday.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

IOW DePape was not a long time overstayer at this time. It seems to me that he would lately have been living outside of the US. Or was he playing the game of going to Mexico for a few days to "renew" his stamp to remain another six months in the US?
Foggy
Dick Tater
Verified: as seen on qvc zombie apocalypse

Post by Foggy »

Canada is not sending us their best. :blackeyebig:
Out from under. :thumbsup:
neonzx
Verified: 🤩✅✅✅✅✅🤩

Post by neonzx »

Foggy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:37 am Canada is not sending us their best. :blackeyebig:
Time for moar Wall.
bill_g
Verified: ✅ Checked Republic ✓ ᵛᵉʳᶦᶠᶦᵉᵈ

Post by bill_g »

neonzx wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:47 am
Foggy wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:37 am Canada is not sending us their best. :blackeyebig:
Time for moar Wall.
It's just the Canadians showing us how to git 'er done .... again.

Their truckers can choke the national capital for weeks. Ours can't. Ours sit around in lawn chairs, deficate a lot, and try to scam people online to support their "lifestyle". Canada sends us one addled revolutionary (singular) to breach the home of a sitting national leader, strike a blow for taking back government, without a gun, and then sit around waiting for the cops like it was nothing. Our Freedom Fighters send thousands to scale the walls of Congress, tussle with the cops, break down doors, come away with nothing, and then scatter like seeds to the wind only to whine about it when the FBI catches them.

I'd say Canada sent us their best crazy. I don't think thanks are in order though.
jemcanada2

Post by jemcanada2 »

Sorry, Foggy!! We can’t all be “jem”s. :lol: :batting: :batting:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

:rimshot: :winner:
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

neonzx wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:47 am
Time for moar Wall.
Too late. The insidious neighbors from the north have been infiltrating us for years.

101010 :towel:

Return to “Current Politics”