Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

Merrick Garland's Justice Department

Let's get back to normalcy. Does normalcy fit into your schedule?
AndyinPA
Verified:

Merrick Garland's Justice Department

Post by AndyinPA »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... documents/
For Donald Trump’s entire presidency, top congressional Democrats used every tool at their disposal to investigate the Washington hotel he leased from the federal government, issuing subpoenas, holding hearings and filing a lawsuit to try to bring the inner workings of Trump’s luxury property to light.

The efforts were framed as a defense of democracy itself. Rep. Peter A. DeFazio (D-Ore.) said the Trump administration’s refusal to provide documents “was not just disconcerting but an affront to the democratic institutions that the United States has been founded upon.” Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.) said the lawsuit, filed in federal court, was “in pursuit of justice to make sure our committee can fulfill its duty to the American people.”

None of it worked — a testament to Trump’s willingness to fight at every turn. But now, with the Biden administration in place, Democrats’ efforts to unearth and make public the information haven’t gone much better.

Biden’s team has steadfastly defended some of the protections the Trump administration put in place to conceal Trump’s financial interests. The Justice Department under Biden is appealing a lower court judgment in favor of the congressional Democrats in their suit, another move by the agency to defend Trump-era legal positions. Biden’s General Services Administration, which holds the lease for the Trump International hotel, has provided only a portion of the documents Congress is seeking and asked that none of them be disclosed publicly.
There seems to be a pattern developing here.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
fierceredpanda
Location: BAR Headquarters - Turn left at the portrait of George III
Occupation: Criminal defense attorney. I am not your lawyer. My posts != legal advice.

Re: Merrick Garland's Justice Department

Post by fierceredpanda »

People seem surprised that the Department of Justice, an agency of the Executive Branch, is steadfastly defending the prerogatives of the Executive Branch.
"There's no play here. There's no angle. There's no champagne room. I'm not a miracle worker, I'm a janitor. The math on this is simple. The smaller the mess, the easier it is for me to clean up." -Michael Clayton
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

I know that has always been the case (Grrr), but the last four years have not been business as usual.
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I get that, and I also get Garland has to choose his battles. He can't possibly go after everything trump did, as much as we'd all like him to.

But, dagnabit, it's frustrating.
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

NBC News confirms: The deputy attorney general has asked the DOJ inspector general to investigate the Trump DOJ subpoenas, per NBC's Pete Williams.
@MSNBC

@NBCNews
roadscholar

Post by roadscholar »

Slim Cognito wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:20 pm I get that, and I also get Garland has to choose his battles. He can't possibly go after everything trump did, as much as we'd all like him to.

But, dagnabit, it's frustrating.
Not to mention Democrats still want their Justice Dept. to appear even-handed, whereas Trump-era Republicans are fine with blatant partisan behavior.
The bitterest truth is more wholesome than the sweetest lie.
filly

Post by filly »

The DOJ has a responsibility to go after corruption and criminals. So I don’t buy the preservation of the institution argument when it comes to the most corrupt criminal enterprise in American history in the form of the Trump administration.
Lani

Post by Lani »

Image You can't wait until life isn't hard anymore before you decide to be happy.
Chilidog

Post by Chilidog »

I don't know....

I'm starting to sour a bit on Mr. Garland.

I can't put my finger on it. But......
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

:yeahthat:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

He’s been dubbed Meek Merrick.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

And he could have been on the Supreme Court.
noblepa

Post by noblepa »

The last straw will be if he refuses to prosecute Steve Bannon for criminal Contempt of Congress, or does a very tepid prosecution.

He needs to drop a load of bricks on Bannon, and do it quickly. The full House is going to vote on the criminal referral next week. If Bannon isn't indicted within two weeks, Garland will have proven himself to be a gutless wonder and I will be glad he was denied a seat on SCOTUS.
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

neeneko

Post by neeneko »

noblepa wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:04 pm He needs to drop a load of bricks on Bannon, and do it quickly. The full House is going to vote on the criminal referral next week. If Bannon isn't indicted within two weeks, Garland will have proven himself to be a gutless wonder and I will be glad he was denied a seat on SCOTUS.
The flip side of not being seen as offensive to either party is he is not someone anyone is excited about. The democrats made a huge tactical mistake by nominating someone that, well, no one really cared if he got the position or not outside Obama wanting his pick in place and McConnell not wanting Obama to win something. If he actually had support then maybe the pressures would have been different, but he really wasn't anyone that people would spend political capital on.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

On deck today at the Senate Judiciary Committee. Grassley focused his questions on the school board memo (or whatever the hell it's called) and then why isn't he prosecuting Andy McCabe for lying and stuff. Now Lindsey Graham is up and asking Garland about the caravans... :brickwallsmall: :roll: :brickwallsmall: :horse:
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

If anyone wants to see some clips from the Republican's questions, follow this thread.

AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/578 ... reme-court
Attorney General Merrick Garland on Wednesday clashed with Republican senators over the Justice Department's efforts to crack down on violent threats against school boards, with one GOP member telling the former judge, "Thank God you're not on the Supreme Court."

Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) made the remark during a heated exchange in which the senator tried to tie the Justice Department's new school board policy to an incident in Loudoun County, Va., where a teenager was accused of sexually assaulting a fellow student in a school bathroom.

"This testimony, your directive, your performance is shameful," Cotton said. "Thank God, you're not on the Supreme Court. You should resign in disgrace, judge."

Cotton's remark came during an oversight hearing before the Senate Judiciary Committee, where Garland faced repeated attacks from Republicans over the memo that was issued earlier this month offering federal assistance to schools and local law enforcement amid a rise in violent threats against education officials and teachers.
That level of disrespect is just intolerable. I'll bet he had been practicing it.
Kendra

Post by Kendra »

It was just vile.
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

I couldn't watch. Never can handle the lies and abuse.

So thanks to all that post recaps and links to summaries.

Y'all rock.

:bighug:
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

Merriam-Webster
vile (n) 1. Senator Tom Cotton (R. ARK.)
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

Tiredretiredlawyer wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:46 pm Merriam-Webster
vile (n) 1. Senator Tom Cotton (R. ARK.)

See Also: Rep GA-14 Marjorie Taylor-Green.
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
p0rtia

Post by p0rtia »

IMO one difference between Margie Q and Tom Cottontail is that the latter wants to work within the system to gain power and turn it into even more of a Rich White Boys Club than it's always been, whereas the former is in it for the adrenaline rush of being invincible when it comes to breaking shit. And the clicks.
Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

ETA :

Merriam-Webster:

vile (adj.) 1. Senator Tom Cotton
2. Representative Marjorie Taylor-Greene
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.

Return to “Biden Administration”