What are you watching on TV these days?

Lani

Re: What are you watching on TV these days?

Post by Lani »

Watching the finale of The Voice. Weird cuz everyone is stuck at home.... But anyway, Thunderstorm's first song was one he wrote called Sedona. The show's final performance was Thunderbird singing What a Wonderful World.

Slim Cognito

Post by Slim Cognito »

We just finished binging on Good Girls. At first i resisted. Hubs started it without me and said I'd like it but I just thought it was Breaking Bad with suburban housewives. It kinda is. And a lot of the plot twists take a lot of artistic license. But just sit back and enjoy it.
ImageImageImage x4

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

I am watching Scandalous, a CNN Documentary Film about the National Enquirer. I did not know it was started and wholly owned for years by Generoso Pope, the son of a NY Mafia made man. If you like documentaries, this one is pretty good.
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

ZekeB

Post by ZekeB »

Too late to get started with it. I've set my DVR to record the show this Saturday.
Trump: Er hat eine größere Ente als ich.

Putin: Du bist kleiner als ich.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Gotta plug this again, we're loving Pluto TV, it's totally free, no email even needed.

Here are the channels as of April, they run 24 hours a day so like Antiques Roadshow UK and Doctor Who Classic runs and runs. Fail Army is funny. Tons of movies, the Cult Films has some films we haven't seen in a long time.

Just go to PlutoTV.com on computer, phone or tablet.

NEWS
TV Election 2020 Today’s Top Story TV News
NBC News CBSN CBSN New York
CBS Los Angeles CNN The First
Today Weather Nation Bloomberg
Cheddar News Top Stories by Newsy Newsmax TV
TYT Network Sky News RT America
Court TV

SPORTS
Pluto TV Sports Fox Sports NFL Channel
PGA Tour Major League Soccer Stadium
TV Surf TV Winter Sports Red Bull TV
Pursuit Up Fight Glory Kickboxing
Impact Wrestling Sports Grid Eleven Sports
TYT Network Sky News RT America
Big Sky Conference

MOVIES
TV Spotlight Pluto TV Movies Pluto TV Movies 2
TV Action TV Comedy TV Romance
TV Drama TV Horror TV Terror
TV Thrillers Black Cinema TV Documentaries
TV Indies Paramount Movie Channel CMT Westerns
Classic Movies 80s Rewind TV Cult Films
Flicks of Fury The Asylum Gravitas Movies

COMEDY
Comedy Central Pluto TV Comedy Central Stand-Up Wild’n Out
Tosh.O Crank Yankers TV Land Sitcoms
Funny AF Stand Up TV Cats 24/7
Dogs 24/7 The Pet Collective Inter Net Gold
Fail Army

TECH & GEEK
TV SciFi TV Science TV Tech
TV Gamer 4K TV Naruto
Anime All Day C|Net IGN
NASA TV Minecraft TV Gameplay Roblox

ENTERTAINMENT
MTV Pluto TV MTV Dating MTV Teen
ET Live VH1 I Love Reality VH1 Hip Hop Family
BET Pluto TV BET Her Pluto TV Spike Pluto TV
Spike Outdoors American Gladiators Baywatch
TV Land Drama TV Animals Crime Network
CMT Pluto TV TV Celebrity TV Reality
TV Lives Nosey Fuse
Complex Awesomeness TV Degrassi
British TV Classic TV Buzzr
Shout! TV Classic Toons

LIFESTYLE
Food TV Lively Place Frontdoor
MTV Cribs TV Her TV Her Dramas
Logo Pluto TV MTV Are You the One? TV Weddings
Faith TV TBN Hillsong Channel
People TV

BINGEWATCH
The Addams Family MTV Guy Code MTV The Hills
VH1 Love and Hip Hop MTV The Challenge VH1 Black Ink Crew
VH1 RuPaul’s Drag Race CMT Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Unsolved Mysteries
Forensic Files The New Detectives Cold Case Files
Fear Factor Leverage Criss Angel: Mindfreak
Dog the Bounty Hunter Hell’s Kitchen WPT
This Old House Antiques Roadshow UK Doctor Who Classic
Midsomer Murders Wipeout MST3K
Rifftrax
Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season on weTV with Fogbow updates on Fridays!

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Okay, not finding this funny.

So, we have 'Parasite', 4 Academy Awards. It's on Hulu. But . . .
n02053.PNG
Audio is in Korean-only and the Subtitles are in Spanish-only?

WTF?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

I'm struggling through DCI Banks. His interrogation technique seems to be to scream at the alleged perp. And anyone who disagrees with him. Interesting style.

neonzx

Post by neonzx »

Sterngard Friegen wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 10:54 pm
I'm struggling through DCI Banks. His interrogation technique seems to be to scream at the alleged perp. And anyone who disagrees with him. Interesting style.
Thanks. Switching over. It's at least in English. :thumbs:
To which Trump replied, Fuck the law. I don't give a fuck about the law. I want my fucking money.

Sterngard Friegen

Post by Sterngard Friegen »

His partner on the series, Annie Cabot (played by Andrea Lowe) may be the most attractive police officer in the history of television. Of course, I am a sucker for beautiful blonde English actresses. That's probably why I am suffering through. Again.Image

MRich

Post by MRich »

I watched "Becoming" on Netflix. I found it really interesting; liked it a lot.

Volkonski

Post by Volkonski »

On Amazon Prime-

"BBC - Return of the Black Death"

Documentary about 25 skeletons of Black Death victims found under Charterhouse Square in London. Also presents "new" evidence about death rate gleaned from studying will that were enrolled during this time.

Amazing that in the centuries since the Black Death it is only now that a researcher thought to examine these documents.
Image“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.”
― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Addie

Post by Addie »

A grim and gloomy Belgian crime thriller called Public Enemy is airing in its second season on Amazon Prime/Sundance; (English subtitles). I hadn't seen the first season, so I'm starting with that. Familiar format of a troubled detective sent to the boonies to head up the local police and solve dead kids found in the forest. I do like the lead detective. She's a unique character. Also the backdrop is beautiful. The plot turns on the murderer being released into the care of priests in a local abbey, to the great distress of the villagers. And, of course, politicians and real estate developers up to their usual skullduggery. All very typical of Euro crime thrillers. Looks like it might be good, though.

ETA: Hey, Andy :wave: I think this one is creepy enough for you.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

Addie

Post by Addie »

I found a show I really like. Amazon Prime/Sundance; (English subtitles). Nordic Noir police procedural called Wisting. The lead detective, William Wisting, is entangled with FBI agents, there to catch an American serial killer believed to be hiding in Norway. Wisting has a delightful, challenging daughter who is a crime writer. I like everything about this show, characters, acting, writing, twisty plot line. I am all set with this one. :thumbs:

Usually, I like to avoid reading about a show before I watch, saving reviews for later, but the Guardian had this snappy snip I noticed:
Wisting (BBC Four) is the best Nord-noir ever. Since the last one. What did Scandinavian film-makers think they were ever doing, 80 years of existential angst and Death playing nihilist chess, before remembering: we have crime. Coal. Snow. Blood. Fire. Cheekbones. Let’s do that.
"The very least you can do in your life is to figure out what you hope for." - Barbara Kingsolver

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

Addie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 4:14 pm
A grim and gloomy Belgian crime thriller called Public Enemy is airing in its second season on Amazon Prime/Sundance; (English subtitles). I hadn't seen the first season, so I'm starting with that. Familiar format of a troubled detective sent to the boonies to head up the local police and solve dead kids found in the forest. I do like the lead detective. She's a unique character. Also the backdrop is beautiful. The plot turns on the murderer being released into the care of priests in a local abbey, to the great distress of the villagers. And, of course, politicians and real estate developers up to their usual skullduggery. All very typical of Euro crime thrillers. Looks like it might be good, though.

ETA: Hey, Andy :wave: I think this one is creepy enough for you.
:thumbs:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Bill_G

Post by Bill_G »

"Killing Eve" on BBC America. Charming and thoughtful.

It's a dramedy about a reluctant espionage MI6 agent and an efficient Russian assassin. Sandra Oh Plays the MI6 agent Eve, and Jodie Comer plays the Russian assassin Villanelle. Three seasons available.

Somewhat slapstick, definitely lighthearted, and certainly not to be taken seriously, but written for a mature audience with a cultivated taste for police procedurals. For instance, Villanelle is an effective killer with a creative sense for violence. She does it with a flourish. But, she can't dance. She wobbles. Sandra's character is both brillaint and naive, able to connect the dots and see the bigger picture, but shrinks from any violence, and clearly does not understand the social dynamics within her intelligence group. The inobvious is clear as day, and the obvious escapes her.

Orlylicious
Location: With Pete Buttigieg and the other "open and defiant homosexuals" --Bryan Fischer AFA
Occupation: "Do Nothing Democrat Savage" -- Donald, 9/28/19 and "Scalawag...Part of an extreme, malicious leftist internet social mob working in concert with weaponized, socialized governments to target and injure political opponents.” -- Walt Fitzpatrick

Post by Orlylicious »

Well played on the new season of MEDICI on Netflix, it's S3 and a continuation of S2. Dustin Hoffman was in S1, some flashbacks but S2 & 3 take place 20 years later. LAST KINGDOM's new season was well done too -- it's running in 190 countries now, that's just amazing.

On the game show/technology front, back in 1984, PRESS YOUR LUCK got killed by a guy who won over $100,000. Turns out in that ancient era of computers (and because of screw ups by CBS), Michael Larsen memorized the five ("random") puzzles and took them to the cleaners. He didn't cheat, he just went into the zone and spun a record 45 times. This documentary from 2002 shows how he did it with some interviews and the crazy old technology. When it happened, CBS aired it once and never again because it was pretty embarrassing... now the episodes and the docu are on YouTube. You'll remember 2-12-1-9-4 forever after this :P

Hey! Don't miss The Fogbow's Favourite TV Show™ starring the titular Mama June Shannon -- "Mama June: From Not To Hot -- Family Crisis!" New Season on weTV with Fogbow updates on Fridays!

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

That was fascinating, Orly! Have you ever seen "Golden Balls"?

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

Glad you liked it, it was really wild wasn't it? Just looked up Golden Balls, hadn't seen it. There are some episodes on YouTube and totally will be watching, thank you for that!! :bighug:

Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Best Golden Balls!

Orlylicious

Post by Orlylicious »

I like it! Started back at E1 to understand how it works... some of the accents and references are a bit hard to understand but I'm ready to hear a lot of lying :lol: Will ETA after. Thank you again, fun pick!

ETA: Clever ending on that clip PatGirl! Interesting they haven't brought it back since 2009. US TV producers may have found the end game too mean for audiences. It also probably runs out of steam unless the contestants are really interesting.

Scientific research
Golden Balls has attracted attention from social scientists as a natural experiment on cooperation. A team of economists including Richard Thaler have analysed the decisions of the final contestants and found, among other things, the following:

Individual players on average choose "split" 53 percent of the time.
Contestants' propensity to cooperate is surprisingly high for amounts that would normally be considered consequential but look tiny in their current context, what the authors label a “big peanuts” phenomenon.
Contestants are less likely to cooperate if their opponent has tried to vote them off the show in the first two rounds of the game, which is in line with the notion that people have an intrinsic preference for reciprocity.
There is little evidence that contestants’ propensity to cooperate depends positively on the likelihood that their opponent will cooperate (i.e., they find little evidence for conditional cooperation).
Young males are less cooperative than young females, but this gender effect reverses for older contestants since men become increasingly more cooperative as their age increases
If there are people interested in game shows, might be a fun topic -- I was on Joker's Wild as a kid, on Wheel of Fortune, and worked with Goodson Todman and a company called Ivie Hill Productions. Love seeing people win and always interested in the psychology and mechanics behind the shows.

Here's the nighttime version of The Price Is Right with Rupaul, money went to Planned Parenthood. (Not an official post so may be removed by CBS).

Whatever4

Post by Whatever4 »

Orlylicious wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 11:55 pm
Glad you liked it, it was really wild wasn't it? Just looked up Golden Balls, hadn't seen it. There are some episodes on YouTube and totally will be watching, thank you for that!! :bighug:
That is one strange game. :?

Orly, I’d like to see your resume sometime!
"[Moderate] doesn't mean you don't have views. It just means your views aren't predictable ideologically one way or the other, and you're trying to follow the facts where they lead and reach your own conclusions."
-- Sen. King (I-ME)

Addie

Post by Addie »

I watched the Netflix documentary of Michelle Obama's Becoming this morning. I had myself a good, long cry. :crying:

RVInit

Post by RVInit »

Addie wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 3:00 pm
I watched the Netflix documentary of Michelle Obma's Becoming this morning. I had myself a good, long cry. :crying:
I watched this on Monday. I loved it. I plan to watch it over and again. I need the reminder of the kind of president and first family we used to have.
"I know that human being and fish can coexist peacefully"
--- George W Bush

ImageImage

TexasFilly

Post by TexasFilly »

Grant On the History Channel. Excellent maps!
I love the poorly educated!!!

Kevin McCarthy: Paul Ryan playing with a head injury -- Jon Lovett

AndyinPA

Post by AndyinPA »

I'm watching the end of Grant right now. Very well done! :clap:
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Return to “The Lounge”