COPS behaving badly

Dave from down under

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by Dave from down under »

Made the news down here...

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-10/ ... /101141546

A white police officer has been charged with second-degree murder for the fatal shooting of an African refugee during an altercation after a traffic stop two months ago in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Key points:
An independent autopsy found Patrick Lyoya was shot in the back of the head at point-blank range
The killing sparked protests by activists who said it was another example of unjustified deadly force by police against young black men
Videos showed the two men grappling on a lawn and struggling over the officer's stun gun before Mr Lyoya was shot
The criminal case against officer Christopher Schurr in the April 4 killing of 26-year-old Patrick Lyoya came just over seven weeks after an independent autopsy found Mr Lyoya was shot in the back of the head at point-blank range.

Announcing the charge at a news conference, the chief prosecuting attorney for Kent County, Christopher Becker, said Mr Schurr had turned himself in to authorities and would be arraigned in court in Grand Rapids on Friday.

Mr Becker said he provided the family members of Mr Lyoya, a refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo, with a letter of explanation translated into their native language of Swahili.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

And this…

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-10/ ... /101144404

US Justice Department launches investigation into Louisiana state police for beatings, culture of impunity, racism

The US Justice Department has opened a civil rights investigation into the Louisiana State Police amid mounting evidence that the agency has a pattern of looking the other way in the face of beatings of mostly black men.

Key points:

There have been dozens of cases where police have concealed or ignored evidence of beatings
Current and former officers say there is a culture of impunity, nepotism and sometimes racism
The governor and superintendent have pledged their cooperation
On Thursday, local time, the federal probe was announced following publication of an investigation by The Associated Press.

It found the deadly 2019 arrest of Ronald Greene was among at least a dozen cases over the past decade in which state police troopers, or their bosses, ignored or concealed evidence of beatings, deflected blame and impeded efforts to root out misconduct.

Dozens of current and former troopers said the beatings were countenanced by a culture of impunity, nepotism and, in some cases, outright racism.
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Not really behaving badly I suppose, but the police in my town have too much time on their hands.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

No doubt Sugar can give us some insight.

But I think many of the times that cops do impolitic things is because they are bored. They have an eight-hour shift, and nothing is happening. They drive around on patrol. The radio is mostly silent. No erratic or potential DUIs out there. Everyone is behaving. So, they go looking for an alleged crime in order to relieve their boredom.

And, knowing the competitive side of human nature, it would not surprise me in the least if the officers on a particular shift have an informal competition to see who issues the most citations or DUIs or other things and they celebrate at the end of the month. Everyone throws in $20 and winner takes all.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

humblescribe wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:05 pm No doubt Sugar can give us some insight.

But I think many of the times that cops do impolitic things is because they are bored. They have an eight-hour shift, and nothing is happening. They drive around on patrol. The radio is mostly silent. No erratic or potential DUIs out there. Everyone is behaving. So, they go looking for an alleged crime in order to relieve their boredom.

And, knowing the competitive side of human nature, it would not surprise me in the least if the officers on a particular shift have an informal competition to see who issues the most citations or DUIs or other things and they celebrate at the end of the month. Everyone throws in $20 and winner takes all.
Stupid cop tricks are more likely to happen due to an adrenaline rush than boredom. It's been years since the police depts were staffed well enough to do anything but chase the radio. "Routine patrol" is mostly a relic of the past. I've honestly never heard of an entire shift competing for tickets or arrests or anything like that, much less throwing in money for it. 2 or 3 officers might compete on a single shift for tickets or whatever, but not the whole shift and not for any extended period of time.

As for the silly 'challenges' that show up on tictok, it tends to humanize the cops to the general public. You'd be surprised how many kids and teens see the officers later and recognize them from the videos. Anything that makes the cops more approachable is better then the kids hating and fearing them.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:34 pm As for the silly 'challenges' that show up on tictok, it tends to humanize the cops to the general public. You'd be surprised how many kids and teens see the officers later and recognize them from the videos. Anything that makes the cops more approachable is better then the kids hating and fearing them.
Our local department has a bunch of them. They literally tag them #humanizethebadge.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:36 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:34 pm As for the silly 'challenges' that show up on tictok, it tends to humanize the cops to the general public. You'd be surprised how many kids and teens see the officers later and recognize them from the videos. Anything that makes the cops more approachable is better then the kids hating and fearing them.
Our local department has a bunch of them. They literally tag them #humanizethebadge.
Sounds like a worthy use of a 5 minute break to engage in some silliness.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:39 pm
It works on me. I view our local cops differently than surrounding areas, and I think the silly videos are a big part of that. I will literally wave when I see them, something I wouldn't dream of doing to any other department.

As much as I'm embarrassed at being so easily manipulated.
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:46 pm
sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:39 pm

It works on me. I view our local cops differently than surrounding areas, and I think the silly videos are a big part of that. I will literally wave when I see them, something I wouldn't dream of doing to any other department.

As much as I'm embarrassed at being so easily manipulated.
My apologies. From your initial comment about too much time on their hands I thought you perceived it as a bad thing for the dept to be doing.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

Dave from down under wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:11 pm Made the news down here...

A white police officer has been charged with second-degree murder for the fatal shooting of an African refugee during an altercation after a traffic stop two months ago in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Key points:
An independent autopsy found Patrick Lyoya was shot in the back of the head at point-blank range
The killing sparked protests by activists who said it was another example of unjustified deadly force by police against young black men
Videos showed the two men grappling on a lawn and struggling over the officer's stun gun before Mr Lyoya was shot
The criminal case against officer Christopher Schurr in the April 4 killing of 26-year-old Patrick Lyoya came just over seven weeks after an independent autopsy found Mr Lyoya was shot in the back of the head at point-blank range.

Announcing the charge at a news conference, the chief prosecuting attorney for Kent County, Christopher Becker, said Mr Schurr had turned himself in to authorities and would be arraigned in court in Grand Rapids on Friday.

Mr Becker said he provided the family members of Mr Lyoya, a refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo, with a letter of explanation translated into their native language of Swahili.
Back of the head. Point blank. I have no words. Just angst.
raison de arizona

sugar magnolia wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:55 pm My apologies. From your initial comment about too much time on their hands I thought you perceived it as a bad thing for the dept to be doing.
Oh no apologies necessary, I was clearly being flippant, as per usual! :lol: :thumbsup:
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

Patagoniagirl wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:59 pm
Dave from down under wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:11 pm Made the news down here...

Key points:

Content Warning: The video cuts out a moment before the shot is fired. I am not defending the cop by any means, but this provides context on how things got to that point. Don't feel any obligation to watch.
raison de arizona

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:34 pm

Key points:

Content Warning: The video cuts out a moment before the shot is fired. I am not defending the cop by any means, but this provides context on how things got to that point. Don't feel any obligation to watch.
Sometimes I struggle with these. Clearly mistakes were made. And my understanding is there are four video recordings of the event, so there is more context to the story that hasn't been seen yet. That said, my understanding is that at the time of the shooting, the suspect had control of the officer's taser and was about to tase him. Putting myself in the officer's shoes, am I going to allow myself to be tased? Am I going to shoot? What am I going to do in the heat of the moment? Clearly the PD doesn't agree with the officer's decision, as he has been fired. Should the officer stand trial? I think yes. Am I ready to cast judgement on him? Not yet. It's a more difficult question than whether he shot the guy in the back of the head. Sometimes these things are pretty clearly cut, sometimes they aren't. I'm not ready to put this one in the first category. Yet.
Patagoniagirl

Post by Patagoniagirl »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:41 pm
W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:34 pm

Sometimes I struggle with these. Clearly mistakes were made. And my understanding is there are four video recordings of the event, so there is more context to the story that hasn't been seen yet. That said, my understanding is that at the time of the shooting, the suspect had control of the officer's taser and was about to tase him. Putting myself in the officer's shoes, am I going to allow myself to be tased? Am I going to shoot? What am I going to do in the heat of the moment? Clearly the PD doesn't agree with the officer's decision, as he has been fired. Should the officer stand trial? I think yes. Am I ready to cast judgement on him? Not yet. It's a more difficult question than whether he shot the guy in the back of the head. Sometimes these things are pretty clearly cut, sometimes they aren't. I'm not ready to put this one in the first category. Yet.
I'm ready. Fuck this abuse of power.
raison de arizona

LAPD eats their own. As I’ve said, they are some violent MFers. This is how they train to serve the public. My friends, not all cops are bad, but my advice is that if you ever are faced with the LAPD, find a way to get out of the situation ASAP. They will fuck you up without thinking twice.
LAPD officer suffers injuries in training, leading to death, family says
Houston Tipping’s spine was broken in three places, says lawyer; family removed him from life support days after incident

Houston Tipping went into Los Angeles Police Department training on May 26 a healthy 32-year-old. But after his fellow officers beat him as part of an exercise designed to “simulate a mob,” he left a quadriplegic, according to a complaint Tipping’s mother has filed against the city.

Unable to breathe on his own, Tipping died three days later when his family took him off life support.
:snippity:
In an interview, Gage said Tipping suffered a punctured lung, broken ribs, a damaged liver and a severe head wound. His spinal cord was broken in three places, which caused permanent paralysis and led surgeons to fuse seven vertebrae together to stabilize his spine, the lawyer added.

For an officer to suffer such severe injuries during departmental training is “mind-boggling,” Gage said.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... ing-death/
Jim

Post by Jim »

I wish to thank Mr McQueen for serving our country and standing up for the constitution he took an oath to defend...pubs could learn a lot from him.

Recent Black police academy grad says Texas officers racially profiled him
The footage shows Michael McQueen, a retired disabled military veteran, educating two Joshua Police Department officers about the law.

A Black man who recently graduated from a police academy took to social media to share video of him being racially profiled by two Texas police officers.

As reported by The Houston Chronicle, the incident occurred on Sunday, May 22 and was posted a week later on Facebook. The footage shows Michael McQueen, a retired disabled military veteran, educating two Joshua Police Department officers about the law after they confronted him outside a Dallas-area 7-Eleven convenience store.
The cops are heard asking McQueen for his ID and he refuses to comply, saying: “What’s your probable cause to ask me for my ID?”

When Peters and Fullagar pointed to the handicap sign, McQueen directed their attention to his disabled military license plate.

“It does not have a handicap placard,” said Peters.

“Read the plate. You don’t even know what you’re talking about; DV … That’s disabled veteran plates. We can park in handicapped spots,” McQueen responds.
McQueen told the officer to contact the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) to verify his identity and confirm that he is a certified peace officer. That’s when Peters reportedly got on the phone with TCOLE officials and confirmed McQueen’s credentials.

“You’re feeling small now aren’t you? You shouldn’t run up on people. You have no probable cause,” McQueen said to the cops.

Peters then claimed the man’s certification was expired.

“I’m a graduate and I have TCOLE certification. So, I don’t care what he says … You want it to be expired because you see brown skin,” McQueen explained.
As their interaction concludes, McQueen tells the two officers to “take a walk … the walk of shame.”
:clap: :clap: :clap:
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

And one was a captain.

Don’t they have something better to do?
raison de arizona

That dude put them in their place, and that was great. But it begs the question of how often they get away with that kind of crap.
Phoenix520
Verified:

Post by Phoenix520 »

Every other time they’ve pulled it.
raison de arizona

This isn't entirely the police's fault, but imma put it here anyway. Draw your own conclusions.
raison de arizona

Were I Amazon and Fedex, I'd be like, "don't do that, you're putting our workers in danger." This particular unit of the NYPD is known for violence and corruption, FWIW.
Read Wobblies and Zapatistas @JoshuaPotash wrote: Wtf is going on. NYPD cops are posing as Amazon and Fedex guys at subway stations

These guys are part of the "Neighborhood Safety Teams" which is just rebranding of street-crime units that we notorious for stop-and-frisk harassment of tons of Black and brown men and boys especially
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

This is from 2018, so more for the record.

Remember that sheriff, the tent city one, Arpaio, with his many posse of volounteers playing police?

Article. https://www.krqe.com/news/larry-barker/ ... ge-scheme/

raison de arizona

Lauren Donovan @LaurenKIRO7 wrote: “If us officers stay behind you long enough, we can find a reason to pull you over. So get the f**k out of the way.”

A #FederalWay police officer is investigated after posting 👇 this on TikTok.

Full statement from police leadership here: http://bit.ly/3nFDZIa @KIRO7Seattle
pipistrelle

Post by pipistrelle »

Empowered $&@%!

Also, can’t anyone make a point without the f bomb? I hear it; I tune out.

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”