Spring forward.
To delete this message, click the X at top right.

COPS behaving badly

Tiredretiredlawyer
Verified: ✅🐴🐎🦄🌻5000 posts and counting

Re: COPS behaving badly

Post by Tiredretiredlawyer »

https://www.npr.org/2022/04/26/10949529 ... p-reporter

Accessible link for LA Sheriff story.
"Mickey Mouse and I grew up together." - Ruthie Tompson, Disney animation checker and scene planner and one of the first women to become a member of the International Photographers Union in 1952.
Dave from down under

Post by Dave from down under »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-10/ ... /101051924

Escaped inmate Casey White and former jail official Vicky White are in police custody after the pair were apprehended in Indiana.

Key points:
Casey White surrendered to police, Vicky White was taken to hospital
The pair had been on the run since April 29
Vicky White used her position as corrections officer to help Casey White escape
The weeks-long manhunt ended in a dramatic police chase, in which Casey White "wrecked" the car in which the couple were fleeing.

Lauderdale County Sheriff Rick Singleton said Vicky White was taken to hospital following the arrest.

"During the pursuit the pick-up truck [was] wrecked. Casey White surrendered and Vicky White has been taken to the hospital for treatment," he said.

US Marshals took charge of the manhunt after a week in which the pair had evaded capture by local authorities
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

Dave from down under wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:25 pm https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-10/ ... /101051924

Escaped inmate Casey White and former jail official Vicky White are in police custody after the pair were apprehended in Indiana.

Key points:
Casey White surrendered to police, Vicky White was taken to hospital
The pair had been on the run since April 29
Vicky White used her position as corrections officer to help Casey White escape
The weeks-long manhunt ended in a dramatic police chase, in which Casey White "wrecked" the car in which the couple were fleeing.

Lauderdale County Sheriff Rick Singleton said Vicky White was taken to hospital following the arrest.

"During the pursuit the pick-up truck [was] wrecked. Casey White surrendered and Vicky White has been taken to the hospital for treatment," he said.

US Marshals took charge of the manhunt after a week in which the pair had evaded capture by local authorities
Other stories are now reporting that the sheriff deputy shot herself and died to avoid going to jail.

I can't even imagine the thought process that would lead someone to throw their lives away because they're in "love" with such a dangerous sociopath.
Frater I*I
Verified: ✅Verified Devilish Hyena

Post by Frater I*I »

What I can't understand they've been on the run for like a week, and aren't in some central America country without extradition...|

Serious fail...crime is quite Darwinian...
"He sewed his eyes shut because he is afraid to see, He tries to tell me what I put inside of me
He's got the answers to ease my curiosity, He dreamed a god up and called it Christianity"

Trent Reznor
AndyinPA
Verified:

Post by AndyinPA »

Not a new phenomenon:
Ed and Jack Biddle were charged with murder in 1901, after a grocer was shot and killed. They were also believed to have led a gang that committed 27 burglaries early that year in Pittsburgh. The grocer had been killed after catching the thieves in the act.

The Biddles were sentenced to be hanged and were held for 60 days in Alleghany County Jail in Pittsburgh.

While in jail, Ed Biddle won over the heart of the warden’s wife, Kate Souffel, and convinced her of their innocence. She then smuggled the men saws and weapons in her petticoat, which eventually helped them escape on Jan. 30, 1902. Souffel fled with the brothers, all three fleeing by sleigh on their way to Canada. Police caught up with the group in Butler County and opened fire, fatally wounding both brothers. Soffel was hurt, but recovered from her wounds and was sentenced to two years in prison for helping the Biddles. Upon her release she became a dressmaker.
https://www.pennlive.com/life/2017/04/t ... ovies.html

Dianne Keaton played Mrs. Soffel in the 1984 movie of the same name.

I can remember another case from somewhere in the last ten years or so; also, in the South, I think. :?:
"Choose your leaders with wisdom and forethought. To be led by a coward is to be controlled by all that the coward fears… To be led by a liar is to ask to be told lies." -Octavia E. Butler
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

AndyinPA wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:02 am Not a new phenomenon:
Ed and Jack Biddle were charged with murder in 1901, after a grocer was shot and killed. They were also believed to have led a gang that committed 27 burglaries early that year in Pittsburgh. The grocer had been killed after catching the thieves in the act.

The Biddles were sentenced to be hanged and were held for 60 days in Alleghany County Jail in Pittsburgh.

While in jail, Ed Biddle won over the heart of the warden’s wife, Kate Souffel, and convinced her of their innocence. She then smuggled the men saws and weapons in her petticoat, which eventually helped them escape on Jan. 30, 1902. Souffel fled with the brothers, all three fleeing by sleigh on their way to Canada. Police caught up with the group in Butler County and opened fire, fatally wounding both brothers. Soffel was hurt, but recovered from her wounds and was sentenced to two years in prison for helping the Biddles. Upon her release she became a dressmaker.

I can remember another case from somewhere in the last ten years or so; also, in the South, I think. :?:
Bobbi Parker in Oklahoma?
johnpcapitalist
Verified: ✅ Totally legit!

Post by johnpcapitalist »

:snippity:
Perhaps the case you're thinking about was the 2015 escape of two prisoners from the Clinton Correctional Facility in upstate New York, where they were aided by a female employee who apparently hoped to have one of the escapees murder her husband. While she smuggled tools to help the inmates tunnel out, she later had a change of heart as the escape unfolded and the murder plot didn't happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Clin ... ity_escape
humblescribe
Verified:

Post by humblescribe »

sugar magnolia wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 6:11 am

Bobbi Parker in Oklahoma?
Yes indeedy, Sugar. Bobbi Parker of Oklahoma was found guilty of aiding a prisoner to escape. She was married to the warden at the time. The trial was in 2011. The crime was fourteen years earlier. After her release from jail, she returned to her husband. :roll:

I think this was on ID or something similar.
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." O. Wilde
raison de arizona
Verified: ✔️ he/him/his

Post by raison de arizona »

Delaware State Women’s Lacrosse Team Felt Racially Profiled by Police in Georgia
On April 20 at 10:31am, Tim Jones, black bus driver, was stopped by Police in Georgia. The officers claimed it was a traffic violation because buses are not permitted to drive in the left lane. The cops came on the bus to inform the students that they would be checking their luggage for any possible narcotics, such as marijuana, heroin, methane, and ketamine.
► Show Spoiler
The officers instructed Mr. Jones to open the bus trunk, as they proceeded to go through the ladies personal belongings. Everyone was confused as to why they were looking through the luggage, when there was no probable cause. The team members were in shock, as they witnessed the officers rambling through their bags. They brought the K-9 dog out to sniff their luggage. The cops began tossing underwear and other feminine products, in an attempt to locate narcotics.

Every time the students turned their heads, more officers appeared at the scene. The cops kept doubling, as they went from two to six officers. They checked bags for 20 minutes, then explained it was necessary, in case of child trafficking or drugs. The fact of the matter is the underlying racism the Delaware Women’s lacrosse team endured. The officers tried to get them to admit to having drugs, while there was none in their possession. The officers conducted an unlawful search because there was no probable cause. Majority of the team members had never experienced an encounter with the police, making this a traumatic incident for them.
Emily Campanelli, senior lacrosse player, states, ““ I think the biggest surprise was seeing the dogs immediately pulled out regardless of what the citation was going to be. That shows the immediate effects of driving while black, especially through southern states and it makes you wonder how many people this happens to on a daily basis and how many people experience this worse than us. I truly believe that it was an illegal search and seizure because there was no probable cause to search the bags, there was no evidence or smell. He immediately saw a group of athletic girls teams and should have let us continue, but because the majority of the team are black women it was a different result. It is a sad day we had to encounter, but I’m glad everyone came outside.”
https://thehornetonline.com/2022/05/04/ ... te-police/
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
Estiveo
Verified:

Post by Estiveo »

Image Image Image Image
Jim

Post by Jim »

I hope he's allowed to tell...

‘I want to tell the whole story’: New controversy erupts over fate of Drew Peterson’s missing wife, Stacy
Nearly a decade after his murder conviction, a new controversy has erupted over the case of former Bolingbrook police sergeant Drew Peterson and the fate of his long-missing fourth wife, Stacy.

Earlier this week, WGN News aired an interview in which Drew Peterson’s former lead defense attorney, Joel Brodsky, said he might disclose what he knows about what happened to Stacy Peterson, who is presumed dead.

Now Brodsky says the judge who presided over Drew Peterson’s 2012 trial ordered him Thursday not to talk about what Drew Peterson told him. Speaking to the Chicago Sun-Times, Brodsky called Will County Judge Edward Burmila’s new order “flawed” and said, “maybe it’s time for him to retire.”

But at the heart of it all is Brodsky’s building frustration with what he sees as a corrupt political system that has allowed politicians like ex-Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan and Ald. Edward M. Burke (14th) to keep their law licenses despite their pending federal indictments. Brodsky, who has not been charged with a crime, saw his license suspended on an interim basis in 2019.
Jim

Post by Jim »

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2022 ... ero-austin
An unarmed 13-year-old boy was shot and seriously wounded by Chicago police after officers stopped a car wanted for a carjacking in Oak Park a day earlier, according to law enforcement sources.

The boy was shot around 10:15 p.m. Wednesday after he jumped from the car and began running in the 800 block of North Cicero in Austin, according to a statement from police. The statement gives no details of the confrontation, but a source said no shots were fired at the officers and no weapon was recovered.

The boy was taken to Stroger Hospital in critical but stable condition, according to Fire Department spokesman Larry Merritt. The boy is 13 years old, according to a statement from the Civilian Office of Police Accountability.

The driver sped off in the wanted car, which was later found abandoned in the 3800 block of West Monroe Street about two miles away near Garfield Park, police said.
northland10
Verified: ✅ I'm me.

Post by northland10 »

Jim wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:42 pm I hope he's allowed to tell...

‘I want to tell the whole story’: New controversy erupts over fate of Drew Peterson’s missing wife, Stacy
Nearly a decade after his murder conviction, a new controversy has erupted over the case of former Bolingbrook police sergeant Drew Peterson and the fate of his long-missing fourth wife, Stacy.

Earlier this week, WGN News aired an interview in which Drew Peterson’s former lead defense attorney, Joel Brodsky, said he might disclose what he knows about what happened to Stacy Peterson, who is presumed dead.

Now Brodsky says the judge who presided over Drew Peterson’s 2012 trial ordered him Thursday not to talk about what Drew Peterson told him. Speaking to the Chicago Sun-Times, Brodsky called Will County Judge Edward Burmila’s new order “flawed” and said, “maybe it’s time for him to retire.”

But at the heart of it all is Brodsky’s building frustration with what he sees as a corrupt political system that has allowed politicians like ex-Illinois House Speaker Michael Madigan and Ald. Edward M. Burke (14th) to keep their law licenses despite their pending federal indictments. Brodsky, who has not been charged with a crime, saw his license suspended on an interim basis in 2019.
He's trying to claim that attorney-client privilege no longer applies because Drew tried to argue ineffective assistance of counsel. Lawyers, does Drew's argument release Brodsky? I would think the client has to release the lawyer not the other way around.

In either case, I wouldn't believe a word from either of them.

I love how he compares two who were indicted (only indicted so for, hopefully, conviction later) for crimes in their office but not their behavior as attorneys. Brodsky was suspended for bad behavior as an attorney representing clients. He even managed to do an Orly and get sanctioned by the Federal court. According to the article, he is now suing his attorney for being ineffective in his defense.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/cri ... story.html

He is as big an ass as his client was.
101010 :towel:
tek

Post by tek »

Using a taser on a gas-soaked person at a gas station?
Plenty of bad to go around here..

A Florida Deputy Allegedly Left a Biker ‘Cooked Alive’ After His Taser Ignited a Gas Station. Both of Them Now Face Charges.
Deputies tried to arrest him as he refueled at the Wawa station. A struggle ensued, and Barreto’s bike was knocked over, spilling fuel on him. That’s when a deputy allegedly used a Taser to try to subdue Barreto.
https://lawandcrime.com/crime/a-florida ... ostpopular
RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

RTH10260
Verified: ✔️ Eurobot

Post by RTH10260 »

raison de arizona

Poor dude just fueling up his bike. That is crazy, a report of a guy on a bike with a gun at a bike meet nine miles away and they are suddenly going to violently jump anyone they see with a bike? Sounds like they are trying to cover it up by not releasing anything. I'm not sure what to do with that, but there should be some serious consequences. That guy's life is effectively over, possibly literally.

I took law enforcement firearms courses many years ago when deciding whether I wanted to have a firearm in my home or not. About 90% of the people in the courses were law enforcement, but they were at the local community college and open to anyone. One exercise called "shoot/don't shoot" involved a large screen with scenarios projected on it. You had a fake gun, although it was real just retrofitted with a laser system so they could tell where you shot. If you shot. Anyway, one of the scenarios was this agitated dude. You are standing there yelling at him to chill and stand back while he is advancing and reaching in his coat. Nearly everyone plugged him. Then they let the tape roll on and what he pulls out of his coat is a card saying that he is deaf and mute. Clearly this is a different situation, but I do have at least a bit of understanding for the officer regarding the initial encounter. Of course he had already been advised she was deaf, etc. And it went downhill from there.

Anyway. After going through the classes and learning a lot of things, including and most notably the likelihood a firearm in the home would be used against a loved one versus how likely it would be used against an intruder (guess which one is far more likely), I decided having a firearm in the home with my wife and children was not a safe idea. YMMV. I haven't regretted it yet. Knock on wood.
“Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide.” —John Adams
W. Kevin Vicklund

Post by W. Kevin Vicklund »

The cops are claiming he was driving recklessly (wrong way, running red lights) and that they tracked him using a helicopter before turning him into biker flambé. Assuming they got the right guy... love to see that helicopter footage. The lapel cams are probably roasted, (or so the cops will claim) so we won't see that footage.
raison de arizona

W. Kevin Vicklund wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:00 pm The cops are claiming he was driving recklessly (wrong way, running red lights) and that they tracked him using a helicopter before turning him into biker flambé. Assuming they got the right guy... love to see that helicopter footage. The lapel cams are probably roasted, (or so the cops will claim) so we won't see that footage.
It's interesting that they are saying that, but then not releasing anything to back it up. For three months. Color me skeptical. But I dunno. :shrug:
bob

Post by bob »

northland10 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 9:46 pmHe's trying to claim that attorney-client privilege no longer applies because Drew tried to argue ineffective assistance of counsel. Lawyers, does Drew's argument release Brodsky? I would think the client has to release the lawyer not the other way around.
As always, "it depends." Alleging ineffective assistance of counsel acts as a waiver, by the client, of the attorney-client privilege.

But the scope of the waiver may be up for grabs. If, for example, the claim is "my attorney gave me bad advice," the attorney can't claim the privilege to avoid discussing the advice given.* That's not a wholesale waiver, however, and a court might conclude other conversations, unrelated to the advice, are still privileged.

* There are two typical scenarios: (1) the attorney fails on the sword and voluntarily declares, "I gave really, really bad advice; I was incompetent"; or (2) the attorney, fearing malpractice and bar discipline, tells everyone to bugger off unless they have a discovery order.
Image ImageImage
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:16 am Just to mention a couple highlights of the above case, the entire force resigned from their elite unit or whatever when the officers involved faced discipline, and then it was determined that no discipline or charges were necessary. Because of course it was.

Anyway, bad cops may have to become a little less bad, or face consequences? Maybe? Baby steps? On qualified immunity...
Joanna Schwartz, @JCSchwartzProf, UCLA Law Professor wrote: :snippity:
But I think they're sending a message that lower courts can deny QI if the officer's misconduct was clear, even if there's no case with identical facts - not only in prison conditions cases, but in excessive force cases as well.
https://twitter.com/JCSchwartzProf/stat ... 93120?s=20
This has always struck me as an egregious "Catch 22".

How can there EVER be a case with identical facts if no case with ANY facts is allowed progress until there is SOME OTHER case with identical facts?
Has everybody heard about the bird?
keith
Occupation: Retired Computer Systems Analyst Project Manager Super Coder
Verified: ✅lunatic

Post by keith »

raison de arizona wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:38 am Poor dude just fueling up his bike. That is crazy, a report of a guy on a bike with a gun at a bike meet nine miles away and they are suddenly going to violently jump anyone they see with a bike? Sounds like they are trying to cover it up by not releasing anything. I'm not sure what to do with that, but there should be some serious consequences. That guy's life is effectively over, possibly literally.

I took law enforcement firearms courses many years ago when deciding whether I wanted to have a firearm in my home or not. About 90% of the people in the courses were law enforcement, but they were at the local community college and open to anyone. One exercise called "shoot/don't shoot" involved a large screen with scenarios projected on it. You had a fake gun, although it was real just retrofitted with a laser system so they could tell where you shot. If you shot. Anyway, one of the scenarios was this agitated dude. You are standing there yelling at him to chill and stand back while he is advancing and reaching in his coat. Nearly everyone plugged him. Then they let the tape roll on and what he pulls out of his coat is a card saying that he is deaf and mute. Clearly this is a different situation, but I do have at least a bit of understanding for the officer regarding the initial encounter. Of course he had already been advised she was deaf, etc. And it went downhill from there.

Anyway. After going through the classes and learning a lot of things, including and most notably the likelihood a firearm in the home would be used against a loved one versus how likely it would be used against an intruder (guess which one is far more likely), I decided having a firearm in the home with my wife and children was not a safe idea. YMMV. I haven't regretted it yet. Knock on wood.
:like: :yeahthat:
Has everybody heard about the bird?
sugar magnolia

Post by sugar magnolia »

INSIDER
A Texas police officer was arrested after being accused of using a taser on her kids, reports say

Xochitl Ortiz, a former deputy with the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's office, was arrested on Wednesday.

She's accused of using a compliance technique on her kids aged 8, 11, and 12.

A Texas police officer was arrested and accused of using a taser on her three children, several outlets reported.

KHOU 11 reported that Xochitl Ortiz, 34, a former deputy with the Harris County Precinct 4 Constable's office, was charged with three counts of injury to a child with bodily injury.

Court documents obtained by KHOU 11 and the Daily Beast said Ortiz used a taser on the children aged 8, 11, and 12, in early April.

Ortiz used the taser in drive-stun mode, a compliance technique on the kids' bodies including their hands, shoulders, and buttocks, according to court documents. The taser used belonged to Ortiz' boyfriend, Christopher Worthington, who is also a police officer in Harris County.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-police ... 30953.html
Slim Cognito
Verified:

Post by Slim Cognito »

I'm not yet sure of the details so maybe this goes here, maybe not, but it's a tragedy.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/man-d ... ce=twitter

'I'm not going to help you:' Man drowned in Tempe Town Lake as police watched, transcripts reveal
Pup Dennis in training to be a guide dog & given to a deserving vet. Thx! ImageImageImage x4
Volkonski
Verified:

Post by Volkonski »

“If everyone fought for their own convictions there would be no war.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Return to “Earthlings Behaving”